PDA

View Full Version : Which Pokemon Game/Gen is your favorite?

Pike
11-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Gold/Silver for me! :D It took just the right amount of things that made the original great and added just the right amount of new stuff. I also loved the introduced day/night cycles.

Jiro
11-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Gold/Silver is as far as I will really go. I mean, I will play the other games, sure, but everything past the Pokémon introduced in Gold/Silver is just false.

The original is still the best though.

Del Murder
11-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Pokemon Yellow is the best Pokemon game and will continue to be so until they remake it.

Second: HeartGold

Raistlin
11-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Red forever!

(I haven't actually played any other Pokemon game)

Denmark
11-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Gold/Silver are the best and will continue to be the best.

Aulayna
11-26-2012, 03:43 AM
Fire Red/Leaf Green

Combining the awesomeness of the first gen with the lessons they learned between G/S/D and R/S/E.

Second would be Heart Gold and Soul Silver for similar reasons.

Skyblade
11-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Pokemon Yellow is the best Pokemon game and will continue to be so until they remake it.

Second: HeartGold

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness is superior.

If we're going for handhelds, I'd probably say that Platinum is my favorite. The Sinnoh era just did a ton of stuff really, really well. After that, probably Yellow, then Crystal.

Bolivar
11-26-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm gonna go with Gen 2 although I never beat 'em. Pike gave the correct rationale, plus I love walking around with my top Poke and talking to them!!!

Quindiana Jones
11-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Adding my voice to the crowd here and saying that the second generation is the best. It actually added to the first generation, and improved the game in many ways, rather than just replacing everything with an inferior copy. SoulSilver remains the best Pokémon game.

Yellow is a close second, however.

Del Murder
11-26-2012, 06:49 AM
I will say the last fight of G/S when you face your R/B character is epic and they have yet to top this in a subsequent Pokemon game.

Tigmafuzz
11-26-2012, 07:45 AM
G/S/C

I beat Red and Blue at the same time, trying really hard to get all the pokemon I needed to complete my pokedex (the first time I beat the elite four I had 142 caught, and I was really proud of myself for almost having it finished, just hoping that the game wouldn't end after I beat them) and didn't actually end up completing my pokedex until Yellow came out, because then I could get Vaporeon and I also learned about the Mew trick which I was lucky enough to be able to do in Red since I had missed a trainer. It was a glorious adventure and honestly one of the best worlds a person can be introduced to in a game. I finally got all 151 on my pokedex for each of the games, and I was so proud of myself I could barely contain my excitement. I wasted a bunch of time on Pokemon Pinball and the GBC version of the Trading Card Game, trying to complete all I could manage in those games (never did get all the cards or catch Mew in the pinball game though) and when I found out there a whole new set of pokemon I was practically bouncing off the asylum walls.

But when I first started Silver, it was... meh. It seemed odd. I preferred the games of the first gen by a wide margin. It wasn't until I got really far into it that it started to grow on me at all. I had all battle animations set to off in order to save time because the game was really slow and I wasn't good with batteries then, so when I finally started Gold I put it down and started the same adventure on the other cartridge in order to catch up and beat them at the same time like I did with Red and Blue. I left the battle animations on this time, and the world grew on me even more. It became more familiar to me than the original since I was spending much more time on it, and it felt even better to play it. I beat both games, and then finally saved up enough to get Crystal on ebay (I was like 14 when I started pokemon, ~17 I think when I got Gold and Silver). And Crystal was the best of the three. I accomplished everything I possibly could in that game aside from getting Celebi. I've probably spent more time investigating everything you could possibly do in Crystal than in any other pokemon game, and probably more than most other games I've ever played. I got my pokedex filled out to 250 in all three games, and even...

I will say the last fight of G/S when you face your R/B character is epic and they have yet to top this in a subsequent Pokemon game.

I will agree with this. Never before have I felt so scared and excited at the same time. I got to fight the ultimate trainer I had created in the first game. I got to take down myself. Easily one of the top ten greatest video game moments for me.

Then the third gen happened. Now, I'm not saying Emerald isn't a great game, but Ruby and Sapphire both leave a little something to be desired. Not to mention the fact that all three have a ridiculous water:land ratio compared to the previous maps, and ALL THE MUSIC IS TRUMPETS.
http://i.imgur.com/jDqQt.jpg

I did enjoy the third gen a lot, and it was a grand adventure... but come on. The trend seems to be that anyone who started with the third gen main games loved it, but anyone who started earlier just couldn't get into it properly because it didn't feel right. FR/LG were really good games as others have mentioned by being wonderful remakes, but they were still remakes. So I can't in good consciousness call them separate games within the generation.

Black and White seemed pretty lame as far as the adventure and "exploring the new world" go. HG/SS weren't bad, but I still prefer the originals for the fact that they were just more fun and immersive as an adventure, as well as not being able to fully appreciate the journey when you've already been through it. Plus, again, remakes.

However, you can't overlook the inclusion of the Mystery Dungeon series, which are really great because turn-based dungeon crawler things like Azure Dreams and Chocobo's Dungeon have always been stupidly fun and can take up a lot of time trying to work your way slowly towards become powerful enough to take on anything that comes your way. And there's Pokemon Conquest on the DS, which is even more wonderful because FFT/Nobunaga's Ambition/Tactics Ogre/etc. combined with pokemon is quite possibly the greatest idea for a game anyone has ever had (even though it could have been done better).

So even though it would probably be easy for me to rank my favorite pokemon games throughout the entire series, ranking the collective games of each generation would be very difficult. I'll just stick with what I enjoyed the most as a classic pokemon game, and say the second gen was the best, which also seems to be the majority opinion so far.

Pete for President
11-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Reb/Blue for sure!

Night Fury
11-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Gold and Silver. It had improved graphics, better music, MORE POKEMON WHICH WERE ALL AWESOME AS trout. There was the day to night thing, breeding features and loads more.

Also, it has these bad boys!

Man the moment when me and my Uncle were playing this game (My uncle is only 1 year older than me, so we both grew up with pokemon together) and we were like OMG WHAT IS A RAIKOU?! and we spent the rest of that day tracking him down!!!

Bubba
11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
I really enjoyed Gold/Silver but Yellow still has the edge for me. I liked how it tied in with the series and the fact that Pikachu was knob and wouldn't go in his pokeball.

I also remember having a legendary fight with Lt. Surge. He annihilated all my effective Pokemon then I managed to take off the final half of his energy with Pikachu... good times

Yar
11-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Fire Red and Leaf Green are my favorite! :D I just LOVE that story. The GBA remakes were such an improvement.

I also have an affinity for the first 151 Pokemon. I think anything more is sacrilege. Although I will play the Gold/Silver/Crystal games just fine.

maybee
11-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Black and White 1 and 2

Because of N basically.:flirt:

Heath
11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm going to be very boring and say Gold/Silver/Crystal. In my case, specifically Silver.

I think one of the main problems I have with the later games, which I've played and continue to enjoy (I finally got around to playing Pokemon Black last month), is there are too many Pokemon. The designs are still reasonably imaginative and interesting, but I don't think they have the same quality, by and large, as the first 251. In addition, I'd also say that 251 was a much more manageable number. With 251, I was more excited because I believed that I could actually complete my Pokedex, because realistically there were only four games I'd need (or ideally, one friend with Blue/Gold while I had Red/Silver).

I also liked the variety of locations. I really quite like Kanto as a region - its towns, gym leaders and locales are all reasonably close to my heart. I especially liked the ability to visit both Kanto and Johto - something I've wished subsequent games would let you do. While it wasn't quite like getting two games in one, it provided much more to do after beating the Elite Four. Generally I find that in the Pokemon games I lose interest after beating the Elite Four - G/S/C kept me interested. 16 gyms also gave you the need to have a well-rounded Pokemon team. I tend to use the same Pokemon the whole way through the game, rather than switching based on my needs, and so it gives me an extra incentive to need to have a team that can cope with any situation.

The games also introduced a number of innovations which I liked - things like the PokeGear, shiny Pokemon, legendary Pokemon you have to chase around, day and night, events throughout the week, etc.

Fynn
11-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Used to be GSC, but they have been replaced by Black/White :P

Aulayna
11-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Gold and Silver. It had improved graphics, better music, MORE POKEMON WHICH WERE ALL AWESOME AS trout. There was the day to night thing, breeding features and loads more.

Man the moment when me and my Uncle were playing this game (My uncle is only 1 year older than me, so we both grew up with pokemon together) and we were like OMG WHAT IS A RAIKOU?! and we spent the rest of that day tracking him down!!!

Oh yes. Was all about Suicune.

I totally did not buy the Gamecube games just so I could get the doggies on my Emerald version.

Nuh-uh.

Night Fury
11-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Oh yes. Was all about Suicune.

I totally did not buy the Gamecube games just so I could get the doggies on my Emerald version.

Nuh-uh.

I have a suicune plushie and it's the best thing ever.

Formalhaut
11-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Should have been made a poll.

I have to agree with Heath here. My favourite games have always been one were my completionist obsession can be somewhat maintained. When it gets crazy (400+ now isn't it?) my affection drops as I know deep down I can never get all the pokemon. Hell, I can't even get all the pokemon now; there's the bloody annoying "trade" evolutions which suck if you don't have anyone to trade with, and you can't trade on-line because you lose the pokemon. After that, there's the "promotion only" legendaries, which just ruin the game for me. Since when do I ever go to pokemon conventions or watch a film in Japan so I get some secret code? Never. It's just stupid and should be stopped. It's almost like on-disc DLC; it's there for you to obtain, if you go really out of your way to obtain it.

Rant over. For me, G/S/C. I always went for Silver though. I loved the whole "Two Regions" aspect. It drew me in.

noshowmillk
11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
The original Red/Blue! I have never spent so much time on any Pokemon game EVER! I usually have a tough time beating them now. As a kid I loved discovering the new Pokemon, and now I love all the fan-made art, music, creepy pastas, etc.

Chris
11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Without hesitation - The Second Generation. HeartGold and SilverSoul are two amazing games. I had to buy both to satisfy my needs. :D

I liked Hoenn, and Emerald is the last truly solid Pokémon game.

Tolerated Sinnoh, but no acceptance of the latest one.

Formalhaut
11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure why, but I feel like the pokemon designs have gone down somewhat from the beginning onwards.

Jiro
11-28-2012, 05:17 AM
There's one that is a chair or table or some fucking thing now xD

maybee
11-28-2012, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure why, but I feel like the pokemon designs have gone down somewhat from the beginning onwards.

Yeah but N makes up for it. *Dreamy sigh * ahhhh he's so misunderstood...:heart:

Denmark
11-28-2012, 07:14 AM

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/c4/569Garbodor.png
IT'S MADE OF GARBAGE

also vanillite/vanillush/vanilluxe they are ice cream

Tigmafuzz
11-28-2012, 10:21 AM

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/c4/569Garbodor.png
IT'S MADE OF GARBAGE

also vanillite/vanillush/vanilluxe they are ice cream

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/a/a0/088Grimer.png

OH LOOK IT'S A PILE OF GRIME LOL LET'S CALL IT GRIMER HYUK HYUK

The first 151 were mostly based on realistic animals. They just don't care quite so much about them being realistic these days.

Chris
11-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Turtwig.

TURT - WIG.

Seriously.

Quindiana Jones
11-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Torterra is a pretty sweet name, though.

Formalhaut
11-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Actually, the 4th generation was actually pretty good in terms of Pokemon designs. It's the 5th generation which I can't quite get my head around. Legendaries of the 3rd generation are also quite..blocky?

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/7/70/383Groudon.png/280px-383Groudon.png

Tigmafuzz
11-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Turtwig.

TURT - WIG.

Seriously.

Turtle + Twig.

Almost as bad as Squirt + Turtle, right?

Quindiana Jones
11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Squirtle rolls off the tongue, though. Turtwig makes it very clear that it is two words smashed together. Turtwig is also the best starter in all Pokémon, fyi.

Ouch!
12-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Anyone who says anything other than Gold/Silver (and by extension HeartGold/SoulSilver) is horribly, completely, and irrevocably wrong.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Generation 2 on Gen. 4 mechanics (i.e. HeartGold and SoulSilver).

Gen 4 was alright, but Gen 3 & 5 didn't need to happen. At all.

Formalhaut
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I actually skipped generation three. And I haven't bought a generation five game yet either. I probably should, but I can't be asked.

Clo
12-02-2012, 12:37 AM
I actually didn't mind Diamond's Pokemon -- except was that the one with the seagull Pokemon?

Fuck that seagull.

Bahamut2000X
12-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Gen 2, hands down. You got to visit all of Kanto, as well as the new Johto region, you had 16 gyms to battle through, the elite 4, and your rival, and then you got to ultimately fight the champion from gen 1 for one epic final battle. The new pokemon were awesome and fit in perfectly with style of the original 151 (none of of this weird looking stuff that doesn't look/feel like a pokemon), a day/night cycle and timed events, as well as numerous other features. It is now, and shall forever be my friend favorite pokemon.

Tigmafuzz
12-02-2012, 04:49 AM
I actually didn't mind Diamond's Pokemon -- except was that the one with the seagull Pokemon?

smurf that seagull.

Gen III brought in the seagull. D/P/Pt were excellent games :bigsmile:

So the consensus seems to be that everyone loved Gen II and its remakes. WE MUST ALERT GAMEFREAK HQ

Formalhaut
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I think in order of my liking of each generation:

No. II - Large world, improved many of I's faults and oversights. Interesting new type and good designs.
No. IV - Should have been II's spiritual successor. Again, good story, nice pokemon, good features etc.
No. I - Is the original, and is the only game where you "might" just catch em' all.
No. V - Haven't played it, but the pokemon designs seem farfetched and I'm not compelled to buy it.
No. III - Didn't float my boat. The water to land ratio was just huge! Designs seem blocky.

What I didn't like was No.5 bucking the trend of the "third game" of the generation as well. Red and Blue were joined with Yellow, Silver and Gold were joined with Crystal and it goes on. Why did Black and White decide rather than just one sequel (grey?) instead they go with Black Version 2 and White Version 2. @#!?'#!!!!!! :mad2:

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Second Gen (Gold/Silver/Crystal) will always be my favorite at heart, but I have to admit Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) was the best. Not only was WiFi battling a big deal, but the attack mechanics getting an overhaul was HUGE. Before Gen 4, an attack was either special or physical based on it's type. Example, all fire attacks were special attacks. Gen 4 changed it so that the move itself was either special or physical. Flamethrower is special, and fire punch is physical. This made WAY more sense and made a bunch of useless pokes actually useful.

qwhiboxs
12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Gold/Silver is my favorite, and others are also great. When I saw the cover of new game Fantasy Adventure (http://www.dotmmo.com/fantasy-adventure-15650.html) on Dotmmo site, I decided to play the game because the characters are very cute. And they look like fat babies to play cosplay. That's kawaii!

Red Mage Coffman
12-06-2012, 02:34 PM
It'd be a clash between Gen 2 and Gen 4.

Gen 2 was amazing. It expanded on everything Gen 1 had. What isn't to like?

I was a HUGE fan of Gen 4. I only wished it gave a little more after game content. I always thought that after Gen 2, you should have access to regions like Kanto or Johto for more gameplay and challenge. For some reason though all you get is that tiny island. Which was really lame. I was a huge fan of the contests, Pokemon, and Gym Leaders. Piplup being my absolute favorite.

Night Fury
12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Gen II has Typhlosion. That pokemon is virtually unstoppable!

Formalhaut
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Though can I just say as a warning, I really hope the next generation somewhat balances this problem:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc1yh4UAax1qbumrto1_500.jpg

It is beyond annoying. Whenever I confuse the enemy, they seem to always snap out of it quickly.