PDA

View Full Version : Weird Traditions

Jinx
11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Three years ago, my family could not find the angel that we topped our tree with. We looked in every bucket, but couldn't find it. Instead, we decided to top our Christmas tree with the voodoo doll we own. We still do.

In honour of the holidays, what weird family/holiday traditions do you have?

Keyword: WEIRD

Bubba
11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
My gran (when she was here, bless her) used to have one leg and she had an electric and a manual wheelchair. Me and my brother used to have an annual game of bumper cars when she was drunk enough to agree to it.

We may have one this year in her honour!

Shorty
11-26-2012, 05:22 PM
My best friend and I celebrate Anti-Easter because we're savage atheists. We started it when we both moved to Arizona and we intend to carry the tradition on to our children.

Last year we started Thankskilling, but I didn't get to be a part of it this year :(

Sephex
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
My family and I developed our own Halloween tradition. Ages ago a as a very small child I heard Pink Floyd's "Careful With That Axe Eugene" and for whatever reason I thought it was a song about pumpkins. Those of you who know the song in question: Yeah, I don't know where I got that from. Probably because half of it sounds spooky.

Anyway, for my birthday one year my dad decided to write and illustrate a book just for me based on my ramblings. He titled it "The Pumpkin Song," and scripted it so he read along with parts of the song (which is an instrumental minus one scream). Long story short, it's about a Pumpkin living peacefully in a field somewhere until Eugene, a flying pig, floats around with his axe. Right when the scream happens in the song, the pig attempts to drop the axe on the pumpkin, but the axe literally sprouts legs and eyes and chases the pumpkin through typical forest settings. Dad, actually having the balls to do this, made the ending very ambiguous. You don't know if the Pumpkin survived or not.

Anyway, I loved the story despite the negative sounding tone. The book is well drawn and littered with Pink Floyd references, both visual and in the wording my dad chose. Quickly, "The Pumpkin Song" became more of a Halloween deal. Despite the fact that I am 30, my dad always reads it to me with however happens to be by that night. Since my dad was also smart enough to make the book look authentic by dating, copyrighting it, etc., we realized that the book turned 25 years old this past May.

Man time flies...

Chris
11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Around Christmas, I always honor my tradition of watching a specific Xena episode called "A Solstice Carol". The infamous Xena Christmas episode. :D

Night Fury
11-26-2012, 07:11 PM
I always have a glass (or 5) of Baileys on Christmas night, and my dog used to lie and stare at me the whole time, looking at the glass DROOLING. So when I was done with my glass I'd sit it on the floor and he'd lick the last drops out :)

He really used to love anything creamy.

Can't do it this year though, we lost him over Easter :(

Raistlin
11-27-2012, 12:58 AM
My best friend and I celebrate Anti-Easter because we're savage atheists. We started it when we both moved to Arizona and we intend to carry the tradition on to our children.

Zombie Jesus Day is the only way to celebrate Easter. I watch zombie movies and savagely bite the heads off of chocolate bunnies.

I also watch Die Hard every Christmas, but that's not all that unusual on EoFF.

Shlup
11-27-2012, 12:59 AM
BJ and I make ourselves a Thanksgiving dinner in June.

Iceglow
11-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Myself and my elder brother used to have highly competitive sessions of gaming on Gran Turismo. I remember one year I beat him like 50 races straight, Eventually as a handicap I was only allowed to use my favourite class B/A car. Whilst he could use anything he wanted to. He just about managed to beat me on the final corner, I never lived that 1 defeat down with him all year.

I also used to sit around and play lots of Scrabble or Monopoly with family. Normally whereby the only lights we'd be using to play by were those of the Christmas Fairy Lights.

Aulayna
11-27-2012, 04:40 AM
So this seems to have become the traditions thread instead of the weird traditions!

I don't really have one so I'll share one of my Step-Grandad's old stories is that on Bonfire Night his Dad and Uncle used to get steel dustbin lids and copper tubes and fire fireworks at each other (nothing big, just the ones that make the popping noise).

I'm sort of convinced he's bulltroutting about that but considering how crazy that side of the family is... it's possible.

Laddy
11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
My dad's German so he gets all this smurfing weird food and I eat it because I'm nice. :(

Chris
11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
My dad's German so he gets all this smurfing weird food and I eat it because I'm nice. :(
http://guild.csphilharmonic.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/christmasstollen.jpg

:stare:

Aulayna
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Looks like snow covered poo!

Chris
11-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Might as well be. Stollen is awful. Similiar to English Christmas pudding. Utterly disgusting.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
So this seems to have become the traditions thread instead of the weird traditions!

I don't really have one so I'll share one of my Step-Grandad's old stories is that on Bonfire Night his Dad and Uncle used to get steel dustbin lids and copper tubes and fire fireworks at each other (nothing big, just the ones that make the popping noise).

I'm sort of convinced he's bulltroutting about that but considering how crazy that side of the family is... it's possible.

I used to have fireworks wars when I was a kid! Mortars, roman candles, all kinds of bottle rockets, etc.

I don't know how I survived childhood.

Cuchulainn
11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
I buy the christmas Radio Times every year. Never read it. No idea why I buy it, I'm sure I'll do it again this year. Completely pointless.

Apart from that i got nothing.

Night Fury
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I buy the christmas Radio Times every year. Never read it. No idea why I buy it, I'm sure I'll do it again this year. Completely pointless.

Apart from that i got nothing.

We also do this in my house, I read it though, it usually has some Dr Who stuff in it.

Which reminds me of another tradition in my house, Christmas TV. We're a BBC family. Christmas Strictly Come Dancing for some camp fun, then I think it's Dr Who - I haven't seen any of this years Dr Who but the Christmas one looks superb! And then we watch Royle Family, but there hasn't been one for a while :( Hope they have one this year!