PDA

View Full Version : Could you like the work/art/music of someone who doesn't like you?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
This is just one of the many "What if" situations running through my mind when I get deep in thought.

Say the creator of a video game, or a musical piece, or whatever other work you can think of dislikes you. Could you still enjoy their work?

Here's a bizarre hypothetical situation for you:

Let's say you go to a Distant Worlds concert and for *insert reason here* Nobuo Uematsu can't stand you. Could you still enjoy his musical masterpieces knowing the creator disapproves of you?

Some would say "great work transcends people", but what do you think?

It also works the other way around as well, I've been turned off by a bands music that I enjoyed if it appeared the band members were arses or complete tools in general in their interviews.

Shorty
11-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Would I be able to enjoy their work? Probably not. I'd probably associate some sort of negative connotation with it because as much as I hate it, I do take things personally. Would I still admire it for what it is and the effort they put into it? Absolutely - talented artists should be recognized for their work, even if they're jerkfaces.

Bunny
11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
If the product is good, it does not matter what their personal feelings are.

Goldenboko
11-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Japan hates all of us. I still like their video games.

Lonely Paper Star
11-28-2012, 08:23 PM

It definitely shouldn't.

However, for me, something like that still wouldn't stop me from taking it personally. I'm sensitive. XD

krissy
11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
i love orson scott card's ender's game and think he's a great writer
i'm not best friends with orson scott card for a variety of reasons

Faris
11-28-2012, 10:08 PM

It definitely shouldn't.

However, for me, something like that still wouldn't stop me from taking it personally. I'm sensitive. XD

Ditto :| Good thing I don't know any famous people that I loathe or loathe me!

Crop
11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah I could like it....in secret. I wouldn't tell them I liked it.

Tigmafuzz
11-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Exactly. Personal feelings towards any kind of artist or their personal feelings towards you should have nothing to do with their work. Unless they base that work on you, in which case it can get super personal >.>

Raistlin
11-29-2012, 12:40 AM

Agreed. I can enjoy and admire the work of people I personally find distasteful.

Pheesh
11-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah I could like it....in secret. I wouldn't tell them I liked it.

This sums up my feelings.

Jiro
11-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Just because somebody doesn't like me doesn't mean I dislike them. Why does it matter?

rubah
11-29-2012, 02:38 AM
luckily it doesn't come up often

Aulayna
11-29-2012, 03:17 AM
I'd like to be a patron saint and say yes.

But I know I can be quite the grudgeholder against someone who's pissed me off or rubs me the wrong way.

So, realistically, probably not.

Shiny
11-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Why should someone's opinion of me matter in what I like about them?

Unless if it were the other way around. It's hard for me like things from people I dislike, but I'm learning to rectify that. If I enjoy it and it's good, then there should be no reason to dislike simply because of the person who created it. Case in point: I heavily disagree and dislike Mel Gibson, but Braveheart is one of my favorite movies and I also enjoy him as an actor. I'm not going to dislike his stuff suddenly just because he's a piece of crap. The only way I'd dislike something of a person I dislike is if their horrid views in life reflected in their work.

NorthernChaosGod
11-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Well I already like works from people that are complete assholes and douches just because the work is good. I don't see why this would be much different.