PDA

View Full Version : Bookmarks

Agent Proto
11-30-2012, 02:50 AM
What kind of bookmark do you use when you read? Pictures are optional.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/DSCN1483.jpg

It's awesome. :D

DK
11-30-2012, 02:52 AM
I usually either just put the book face down on the pages I last had it open or use something random I can grab that works as a bookmark. :redface:

Denmark
11-30-2012, 03:15 AM
my bookmarks are usually random pieces of paper or pencils or things of that nature. my most recent bookmarks were plane boarding passes because i was reading on the plane

Balzac
11-30-2012, 03:17 AM
This one is used in Day Watch that I am re-reading. Its a metal Celtic banding one that hooks over the top of the page.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z180/Balzak309/photo1.jpg

And this one is one my friend designed, its an isometric level for a game, this is actually one of his business cards. I use this one in the book about serial killers I'm reading.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z180/Balzak309/photo2.jpg

41-Inches-Wide
11-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Receipts and flyers.

How come people know I love books and read and take them anywhere and they refuse to give me a bookmark as a gift? I find this a wilful disregard of my needs. :mad2:

Jiro
11-30-2012, 03:27 AM
I've got a couple of nice ones. They're hiding in books I put down and forgot to pick up xD Sometimes I end up just smashing a book in one sitting though.

Raistlin
11-30-2012, 04:16 AM
You sad bloody peasants and your paper books that have pages. My Nook is its own bookmark.

Even back in the days of yore when I read actual books, I would often be too lazy to find something to be a bookmark, and would just remember the page number. And by "remember" I mean "glance at the page number for a fraction of a second and then forget it immediately thereafter," and so I would flip through some pages before getting back to my spot.

The Man
11-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I usually just use the receipt from when I bought the book. That's if I'm not reading the ebook version.

Of course lately I've been bringing so many strips home (to the extent that I am running out of places to put them) that I rarely buy books anymore, but since I buy orange juice almost every day at work I still have tons of receipts.

Flaming Ice
11-30-2012, 04:21 AM
Just grab a random object that's lying around.

I have 5 or so bookmarks and don't use them :)

Jiro
11-30-2012, 04:23 AM
You sad bloody peasants and your paper books that have pages. My Nook is its own bookmark.

Even back in the days of yore when I read actual books, I would often be too lazy to find something to be a bookmark, and would just remember the page number. And by "remember" I mean "glance at the page number for a fraction of a second and then forget it immediately thereafter," and so I would flip through some pages before getting back to my spot.

I was actually pretty good at memorising that. I'm great at remembering useless numbers. Maybe if I converted birthdays into purely numerical values I would remember them.

41-Inches-Wide
11-30-2012, 05:24 AM

Oh I do this "remembering" all the time and seems like my to-be-read-pile of books takes a lot of time before they diminish!

In highschool which I always run out of things to insert in between the book pages, I take out a strand of my long hair. :jess: And then when I pick the book up again I'm like, "ew, hair!!! *throws*" and then I'm like "Oh no! What page did I leave it again..."

Laddy
11-30-2012, 05:48 AM
I don't read; reading is for four-eyed geeks life you guys. :stare:

Shorty
11-30-2012, 06:25 AM
I use the remembering method Weasley does.

Tigmafuzz
11-30-2012, 06:39 AM
I have never had the need for a bookmark as I can always remember the page I was on last, however I do use them for sentimental reasons if someone gave it to me. I have a small pile of them somewhere, and some of them I actually like.

Agent Proto
11-30-2012, 06:47 AM
I remember making a bookmark for a school contest in the 4th grade. I ended up getting 2nd place. :D

krissy
11-30-2012, 07:00 AM
concert tickets

Shauna
11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Train or subway tickets do the job nicely. :}

Cloudane
11-30-2012, 12:43 PM
My, that's going back a bit.

Back when I used to read off dead trees, I would just lay the book open, text side down.

Jinx
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
dogears

Faris
11-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Me too, high-five! Who needs a bookmark when you can just remember! Now where was I... crap, around here somewhere.

Jowy
11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
a coupon for "responsibly caught tuna"!

Night Fury
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
My mum's friend made me one out of beads for my 18th birthday, it's beautiful and purple, I think it's at my parents house though stuck in my copy of Fight Club that I never finished...

Aulayna
11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
I have one of those clippy bookmarks that have a light. Reading in the dark with a little light on just bright enough to illuminate the page is amazing.

Clo
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a Planned Parenthood bookmark right now. It's pretty dope.

Parker
11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I dog ear even though I love my precious books.

Otherwise I leave it face down and open.

Occasionally I throw a playing card or receipt or something in there, usually when the book is new and I want to try and keep it in good condition and before I get tired and cannot be bothered to look after the book.

Lonely Paper Star
11-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Got some little Half-Price Books bookmark ad thingy a while back. The end frayed after a while after constantly squishing my book into my purse, so I tore it off.

When I was younger, though, I collected bookmarks and had some of those soft plushie-like ones that bend.

Shlup
12-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I used to use a post it note. Now I use technology.

blackmage_nuke
12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
I usually just stick another book in there.

~*~Celes~*~
12-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Whatever scrap paper I find

Pike
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I bought a butt-ton of Spongebob Squarepants valentines when they were 90% off in March.

So now I have a bunch of cheap bookmarks. :)

Heath
12-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I do have a nice magnet clippy Very Hungry Caterpillar one that I use sometimes though I generally use train tickets. I travel a fair bit with work and trend to read on the train, so I tend to have them to hand.

Miriel
12-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I dog-ear, or just keep the book open to that page, face down. All my books are well loved, aka wretchedly abused.

Rantz
12-09-2012, 10:27 AM
All you dog-earing people make me sad. I bet you write in your books too. BOOK ABUSERS.

I like long rectangular bookmarks that I can use to move along while I'm reading. It helps concentration when I'm in that "read the same sentence 10 times over" state. If I don't have a bookmark like that, closest piece of scrap paper does the trick.

Shorty
12-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I write in angsty books that make me feelsies when I read them. (it's mostly chuck palahniuk)

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-09-2012, 12:28 PM
I use a single toilet paper square. Two ply.

fire_of_avalon
12-10-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't need a bookmark. I just remember my place.

Jiro
12-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Folded?

Citizen Bleys
12-10-2012, 05:45 AM

Used?

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-10-2012, 05:49 AM
dogears

You sinner and blasphemer.

If it is not memorizing the page number or the chapter, then it is usually the receipt or whatever scrap of paper I can find. Sometimes a pencil if it is for schoolwork and I am note taking. Otherwise, my Kobo takes care of things.

G13
12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I have a Garfield bookmark from like the fifth grade I still use.

Jinx
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
dogears

If it is not memorizing the page number or the chapter, then it is usually the receipt or whatever scrap of paper I can find. Sometimes a pencil if it is for schoolwork and I am note taking. Otherwise, my Kobo takes care of things.

What? I don't use it on library books, as those belong to everyone. If they are books I bought myself, who cares? Honestly, I read books so fast, and re-read them so much, I usually have to buy new copies for covers falling off.

Fujiko
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I never use anything specific but I do use some kind of bookmark, whatever's closest to where I'm sitting when I'm reading. I always look at the page I'm at before I put the bookmark in there, but I always do use a bookmark. When I was much younger I'd fold the corner of the page and use that as a bookmark. xD Never liked it cause I don't like ruining books like that, but I was lazy like that at times. >:D I stopped doing that years ago though~

As a side note I'd like to add that, by far, I much prefer reading actual books than reading them digitally, and I always will. <3

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
dogears

What? I don't use it on library books, as those belong to everyone. If they are books I bought myself, who cares? Honestly, I read books so fast, and re-read them so much, I usually have to buy new copies for covers falling off.

It is okay, I realize you are not the only book abuser here. Poor books used and abused then replaced...*sniffles*