PDA

View Full Version : Rumours About The Next Gaming Generation

Evastio
11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
So what do you think of this article regarding the next gen of gaming? (http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor-behind-the-scenes-with-first-party-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/)

Well, Yoshi's Land for Wii U has already been leaked and there's already been plenty of reports about a 3D Mario and 3DS Zelda, so it fits in line with those.

If that article is true, then the next generation sounds like it'll be quite savage in terms of competition.

Bolivar
11-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha.

No.

I can't give this guy credit for predicting Castlevania or Kingdom Hearts HD. Who didn't? This dude is totally all over the place without the slightest care for believability. If the PlayStation omniveiwer, turning any TV into a 3DTV thing wasn't ridiculous enough, there's this:

only the top-tier of the triple A studios such as Infinity Ward, Crystal Dynamics, ect only having next-gen level technology

Infinity Ward doesn't exist anymore, and it was never top tier when it comes to graphics. In any case, big publishers have been begging for a next gen. Pretty much all of EA's internals studios are using the next-gen ready Frostbite 2 engine, and there's already a range to choose from, with CryEngine 3, idTech 5, and Unreal Engine 4. Even Gabe Newell admitted Source 2 is ready, they're just waiting for the right game to debut it with. So Sony and Microsoft working together to court developers and starve the Wii is not only ridiculous because there's little courting needed...

it would also be illegal.

The one thing that's pretty big that the article got right is Cloud-Streaming. Sony bought Gaikai a few months back (a post which got no replies... :( ) and that's going to make for something really interesting on PlayStation 4. That means being able to choose a game from the PlayStation Store, pressing the X Button, and begin playing it just about instantaneously. You know how PlayStation Plus already gives you free AAA games as part of their "Instant Game Collection?" Well, now it really is going to be an instant game collection.

On the other end, everyone expects Microsoft to have a next iteration of Kinect shipped along with the console. It's been a huge hit for them, despite the lack of experiences (Dance Central 3 anyone?). But I'm also assuming we'll see the next iteration of Xbox Live, which will probably be really cool. They actually have my #1 prediction that I'm guaranteeing right now and remember you heard it here first:

The next Xbox will launch the same day as that year's Call of Duty.

Slothy
11-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Infinity Ward doesn't exist anymore

Haven't had the chance to read the article yet, but I thought it worth mentioning that Infinity Ward does still exist. Though it's certainly not the same development team it used to be since most of the people who worked on Call of Duty up to MW2 left a few years ago now. Maybe that's what you meant Bolivar, but I figured simply stating they were gone might confuse a few people.

I have to laugh a little at that part you quoted referring to Crystal Dynamics as a triple A developer though. Maybe they'd have access to next-gen tech or specs, if they exist, since they're a subsidiary of Square-Enix now, but aside from some Tomb Raider games, which haven't seemed tremendously popular in the last several years (hype around the reboot excepted of course), they haven't really done much in the last ten years.

Bolivar
12-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. When those people left, they needed 3 studios to complete Modern Warfare 3: Sledgehammer, Raven, and Treyarch, 4 if you count Beachhead. I just can't imagine that they'll remain an actual branded studio much longer, much less one that can complete a full game by itself.

Crystal Dynamics... I like their pedigree, but they certainly don't qualify as top tier. To me, those are DICE, Naughty Dog, Crytek, Guerrilla Games, Polyphony Digital, Sony Santa Monica, CD Projekt Red and 4A Games, the guys who have already made video games that could already qualify as a next-gen game on a console, or additionally Epic and Valve, who are ready to make that kind of game.

black orb
12-01-2012, 06:28 AM
>>> Wow, The Next Gimmicks Generation..:luca:

DMKA
12-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Hahahahaha. Even the "Versus is cancelled" rumor was more believably written than this one.

I honestly don't think there will be a next console gen. At least, not in the traditional sense, and certainly not anytime soon.

Aulayna
12-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Sony will re-open SCE Studio Liverpool as full fledged development studio and let them rebrand themselves back to Psygnosis. (y) It will be glorious.

Pike
12-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Sony will re-open SCE Studio Liverpool as full fledged development studio and let them rebrand themselves back to Psygnosis. (y) It will be glorious.

http://kpopchan.com/gmu/src/13131135875.jpg

Quindiana Jones
12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I honestly don't think there will be a next console gen. At least, not in the traditional sense, and certainly not anytime soon.

What? And what? :confused:

Del Murder
12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I do think there will be a PS4 and/or Xbox 720 or some equivalent someday. Too much money out there for the big two to not cash in. It may be something completely different or it may just be updating the graphics capabilities.

Shauna
12-02-2012, 10:17 PM
The NextBox is supposedly appearing Christmas 2013. :3

Aulayna
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I do think there will be a PS4 and/or Xbox 720 or some equivalent someday. Too much money out there for the big two to not cash in. It may be something completely different or it may just be updating the graphics capabilities.

I at least hope that Sony have learned their lesson from this generation that they can't just rely solely on Graphics to sell consoles anymore. Hopefully for the PS4 they adopt a more flexible approach to the PSN service too so that we don't have repeats of the DLC issues that have plagued some of the major cross-platform titles on the PS3.

Elly
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
yeah, im not seeing a PS4 happening for like another 3 years, Sony's big on their "10 Year Plan", anything before Sony says otherwise is just rumor and speculation... as for Console Generations, Nintendo just bucked that trend by basicly releasing the Wii2.0 in the 2nd half of the 7th Gen...

Formalhaut
12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I think the Wii U is a "bridge between" this current generation, and the next one. I have no idea of what numbered generation this is but based on Elly's post were in the seventh so to Wii U is basically Generation 7.5.

Quindiana Jones
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Nintendo get their own generation cycle, separate from the classifications of the others. It's an act of kindness, really.

Freya
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
You know who the gaming police are? The Wii U Wii U Wii U! :chuckle:

What i'm to understand from work is that I think it's sony? They've ordered some of the parts from china to america and they were supposed to get them in this winter. Like the graphics chip or something. So they are working on SOMETHING. Again from work, dunno how true this is, we've heard that it wont be until at least 2016 that sony has anything and 2014 til microsoft has anything. AT LEAST. S'what we're supposed to tell people.

Elly
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
yeah if anything all thats going on with either Sony or Microsoft is a bunch of Trial & Error R&D right now, i suspect that theyre basicly in only the beginning stages of design and development for their respective consoles, and who knows what Nintendo will be up to by the official 8th gen, roughly 2015/16...

Shauna
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Sauce for NextBox in 2013? (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-29/microsoft-said-to-plan-next-xbox-console-for-2013-holiday-season.html) Finally remembered where I found out this rumour.

Anyway. I don't understand the notion that the WiiU is not part of the next console gen? :3

Bolivar
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
^ Because technologically, it's only capable of games being developed this generation.

If you ask me, the whole idea of "generation" being a helpful classifier of video game consoles went right out the window with the Wii. To me, the Wii wasn't a generation forward from the Gamecube, it was rather in a different direction. The technology didn't get a whole lot "better" but it got a hell of a lot different. We've also had two iterations of Sony and Nintendo handhelds coexist with current consoles, so where do the handhelds fit in the generational timeline? It's not particularly helpful anymore, but that could be a thread on its own.

yeah if anything all thats going on with either Sony or Microsoft is a bunch of Trial & Error R&D right now, i suspect that theyre basicly in only the beginning stages of design and development for their respective consoles, and who knows what Nintendo will be up to by the official 8th gen, roughly 2015/16...

First of all, the whole 10-year goal that Sony made just means they'll support the PS3 for 10 years even into a next generation, comparing it to how they've supported the PS2 even into its eleventh year.

All signs point to Sony and Microsoft's next consoles coming out within a year from now. Rumors of early R&D circulated a few years ago and we've already had many developers all but confirm they're working on their next-gen titles. The biggest proof is that we've had no news on what Sony's internal studios are working on - Media Molecule and Sony Santa Monica are releasing spinoff games that were completed in a very short time frame. There's no news on what Guerilla Games or Sucker Punch have been working on. Polyphony has hinted Gran Turismo 6 is in development for the next PlayStation. And I'm not sure Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us" has the studio's biggest developers behind it. By all indications, Sony is having its first party studios preparing a launch lineup.

You also have to take into account that the big third party publishers have been begging for a next generation for years now. Ubisoft was the first one, I believe, stating that software sales are starting to slow and they need a new generation to excite consumers. The media has been at it as well. Everyone was expecting news of the next gen at last year's E3 and was considerably disappointed when it didn't happen. The manufacturers are in a position where they all but absolutely have to announce something at this year's E3. Plus we have all the intel that Microsoft is for sure getting ready for next year. It's pretty much been solid that Sony isn't going to let Microsoft have a year head start again, as the PS3 has sold faster than the 360 and would be leading on them if it weren't for the one year gap.

On a personal level, I can't say a new generation is 100% appropriate. This gaming generation never had its Final Fantasy VII, its Metal Gear Solid 2, that game that draws a defining line between what came before and what's to come afterwards. We've had little hints of it with games like MGS4, God of War III, the Uncharteds and the Killzones, and PC developers like DICE and Crytek tried to shoehorn games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 into it, but "that moment" has never really come. When the typical 4-year mark came in 2009/2010, I thought it would be too soon to end the generation before that moment comes, but now I think it's too late to go on hoping that we'll have it.