PDA

View Full Version : The FNC screw up

Palom Porom
12-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Fabula Nova Crystallis series - Final Fantasy XIII

While at first this looked retartedly epic, the whole thing being, there are three games that make up this trilogy/not really a trilogy thing. I thought it was genius how they all have different stories and the only thing that connected them was the mythology. "Smurf -yeah!"

So lets put this down on paper

Fabula Nova Crystallis

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Final Fantasy Agito XIII

All Cool, then they finally released the original XIII, everyone had mixed feelings on it, everyone know what everyone thought by now so I wont get into it. But why didn't Square just think to themselves "Okay that one didn't do so well, lets see how Versus and Agito turnes out"?? Because they aren't your regular spin-offs, they re all the original installment of XIII no? That was the whole point, 3 main games for XIII. Instead they thought to change Agito to Tyope-0, which isn't terrible but it doesn't carry the 'XIII' name anymore, so now it's not really a group of three equals, even though type-0 is still part of the FNC, but they wanted to you the '0' part to make it's own side series. Well seen is how we now have a 3rd installment for the XIII, it would only make sense to just call it Agito XIII-2 3 4 and so on.

Then we all trout our pants when we heard Versus was cancled, well not really they just made it VX. Isn't that a load of crap?!

FNC
Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, (XIII-3) Lightning returns
Final Fantasy Versus XIII now VX?!
Final Fantasy Type-0?

They Screwed up everything instead of just going along with their plan. Everyone is going to like one out of the three better than another. Everyone will have their favourite one of them all, and just because XIII wasn't everyone's favourite, they had to go and try to force it on our favourites list, then that didn't work with FF XIII-2 so now there is a 3rd. Versus is canceled then VX, but now it's not canceled so that is some reassurance. Type-0 is still yet to come to North America.

It's funny how Square took such good idea, and turned it into a huge pile of dung. If they just stuck to their guns, this would've turned out way better.
They're trying still to make XIII be accepted to the full 100% by fixing it with sequels. Just focus on Versus and make that one spectacular why don't ya?!

Anyway, that was a little rant I had. Some people have got so digusted by the whole thing that they don't even want to talk about it anymore. And I understand.

At least Agni's Philosophy looks good, it may not be VX or it might be, but it look likes Square might be turning around after this FNC scandle is done and over with. Personally, I like XIII. but come on Square, you're better than this. Make us all proud again.

Mirage
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Source on that.

Palom Porom
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Source on that.
I know it's not VX, I was just putting things in order, it was falsly turned into VX for like 2 days I believed it. 2 things you can read on what I said "Now it's not canceled which gives me reasurance. And Agni's philosiphy may or may or may not be VX.
I know what I'm talking about, maybe I didn't explain thorougly enough. Sorry 'bout that.

e;
I'm stupid - XV, how many times did I put VX? Maybe I shouldn't have even posted.

Please use the Edit button to add thoughts instead of double posting :) - J

Jiro
12-02-2012, 03:16 AM
The Fabula Nova Crystallis plan seems to have been thrown to the wind. I am less annoyed with their changing approaches than I am with the fact we've not even seen Versus and Type-0 is still not a Western release. Don't promise us these games and then not follow through.

Bolivar
12-02-2012, 04:25 AM
After the relative success of "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII" Square decided they were too big to just announce games anymore; they were going to announce franchises. The Ivalice Alliance was one, and it only succeeded because the games were mostly done when the whole thing was announced. The other, of course, was FNC.

When it happened, I thought it was incredibly bold and headlined a new era of Square being a mega-blockbuster powerhouse. I really wish they had completed it, because it was an incredibly ambitious idea.

You know, they said when FFXIII was finished, that now Versus development would move faster because people were more freed up to work on that. I have to wonder why they apparently commited those people towards FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns instead of just finishing Versus. :confused:

Psychotic
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
As of November 2012, Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been in development for exactly seven years. As a result, it currently holds the record for the longest amount of time ever spent developing a single Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy Versus Forever.

Iceglow
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Only when Final Fantasy Versus XIII has spent at least 13 years in development will it be ready to deploy.

That being said the story of Versus XIII is starting to remind me of another RPG what should've could've and would've done better if the developer had stuck to their guns. There's a game on 360 and most people know of it even if they haven't played it:

I'm talking about Too Human.

Too Human was originally developed for the original Xbox however Silicon Knights changed tactic when the 360 was announced and began going over the game making it prettier and more 360 like. Coupled with a long slow development and an unwise decision about gaming controls (they tried something novel and it ultimately fell flat). What was set to be a visually stunning Xbox Original title with a lot of Gauntlet and Diablo 2 in it (with a heady mix of Viking legend and modern sci-fi mixed in) in terms of game play and a genuinely refreshing take on an ancient myth for a story. It was set to be the online gaming rpg of all console's everywhere. However when it eventually made the release shelves: Graphically it was considered poor for the xbox 360, perhaps fresh from launch but even then it was no Halo 3 or DOA4 in a Post AC1 world it was woefully inadequate on graphics. I would have accepted the graphics as great for original xbox but certainly wasn't something fantastic for hi-def systems. As well as having bad graphics the control choice which had been a novel idea was ultimately terrible and there was no custom mapping to fix the problems experienced. A decision to place an unskippable 30+ respawn fmv in (when dying a LOT is expected) is not good either. In the end Too Human became Too Flawed and people shunned it and a game which clearly was meant as part of a series (a trilogy originally if I remember rightly) ends on a cliff hanger which will now sadly never get answered as Silicon Knights are unlikely to ever finish it.

Pete for President
12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
It's funny how Square took such good idea, and turned it into a huge pile of dung. If they just stuck to their guns, this would've turned out way better.

Nice post, but this part is pretty random. Sticking to a plan does not necessarily mean it will turn out better than a course change. I reckon the problem goes way deeper than the plan itself. There's probably something wrong with the company's ideals or future plans, it's connection to gamers or having profits as a priority instead of delivering a masterpiece.