PDA

View Full Version : Punctuality

Shorty
12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
How are you with punctuality? Do you give yourself some leniency, or do you make it your beeswax to be on time no matter what?

I'm punctual with things that are super important like showing up for work, interviews, any sort of meeting with anyone, etc. I suppose I put a higher priority on folks I don't know. For people I know better, like friends and family, I admit that I push for a bit of leniency with things sometimes when making plans. Consequentially, I don't really expect people to show up on time when making plans with me and don't mind if someone is running late for whatever reason unless we have time-sensitive plans.

My mother is a horrendous offender with timeliness and has never been on time to a single thing in her life.

Jowy
12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I am always fifteen minutes early for everything. I will never be late for anything in my life.

blackmage_nuke
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Im quite punctual, but if I arrange to meet a friend at his house and get there 10 minutes early or I get to work 10 minutes early, I'll usually take a nap in the car until I can arrive on the dot.

Jinx
12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
I HATE not being on time. I am always on time. It bugs me to no end when people don't show up on time when we make plans. I find it extremely rude. If we say we're meeting at 1pm...be there at 1pm? If you agree to that time, you are agreeing that you have enough time to do whatever it is before you meet me. My time is just as valuable as yours, and it's not fair that I have to wait around for you. If you can't make it, don't agree to it.

Of course, I understand that random things sometimes happen, and I'm pretty forgiving of that. But if you just lost track of time because you were too busy on your computer or something...yeah, it pisses me off. I think it goes back to when Jonathan and I were dating, and he'd always be an hour or two late. To this day, any tardiness whatsoever just grates on me. To me, it just says, "I have no respect for you."

Shorty
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Nah man, I'm not talking an hour or two late (that's unacceptable). I'm talking like 10-15 minutes late or something.

I chalk it up to the fact that I would be understanding if someone was running late for something, so I hope they would be for me as well.

Chris
12-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Pretty much agree with the lot of you. I hate being late, and I hate it when people are late. Once left a date because I was so pissed that he made me wait twenty minutes. Pisses me off. :mad2:

Jinx
12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Nah man, I'm not talking an hour or two late (that's unacceptable). I'm talking like 10-15 minutes late or something.

I chalk it up to the fact that I would be understanding if someone was running late for something, so I hope they would be for me as well.

No no, I'm not talking about that either! I'm just saying, that's where my hatred of lateness stems from, I think. It all depends on the situation. Like, if I get a call saying, "I need to get gas, and I didn't realize it." Okay, that's cool. It happens. But if you were just dilly dallying, no. It's not okay. And it also depends on how many times a person has done this as well. If they are on time 99% of the time, and one day just loses track of time...okay. That's okay.

Like, the other day one of my co-workers (who relieves me on Sunday afternoon) called me because his tire was almost flat, and he had to stop to get air, and was 10 minutes late. That didn't bother me, because it happens. But if he was 10 minutes late because he was too busy playing WoW with his adult son and wasn't paying attention to time, yeah, I'd consider that inconsiderate.

Nicolas
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I tend to do what I feel like. If I don't feel like I have to be on time, I won't bother rushing myself for nothing. If I feel like I should be there early, then I will get there at least 15 minutes early. I'm pretty lenient with people being late as well. If they give me any sort of notice they might be late, then no worries.

Lonely Paper Star
12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Depends on who I'm with and what it's for, but I'm usually around 10-15 minutes early. If it's for a party or big social event where my presence isn't direly important, I usually go 30 minutes-1 hour after it starts. The latest being 2 hours.

Some of my friends are always late (Asian time lol) for plans though, so I gave up and started going to things 5-15 minutes later than planned and STILL be on time for them. :eep:

Formalhaut
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm a extreme stickler for being on time when it comes to myself, I always try and be early to things because even if I'm way early, I can just relax and snoop around. I was meeting a friend in town and came a full hour early. You might be sarcastically thinking "Oh well done there Formalhaut" actually it was great; I went window shopping and bought a light lunch.

If I am ever late for anything, most of the time it's not my fault, but someone else holding me up against my will. I remember one time in sixth form where a sociology lesson overran by like a full five minutes and I literally legged it to my next class (Forensic Science) and my teacher gave me the biggest death stare. Suffice to say, I tried to explain everything but it still was quite awkward.

Surprisingly enough I'm slightly more lax on other people's lateness but then I've always been more harsh on myself. If I agreed to meet with a friend at say 12:00pm and they arrived between 12:00 - 12:15 I wouldn't really be so annoyed. Even up to a half an hour late I would still be miffed but quickly recover. I'm just more laidback with people than myself.

Jiro
12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I endeavour to be early to everything to make up for years and years of being late. It doesn't always go to plan, but that is one of the hassles of living so far away from everything. Driving takes such a long time regardless because of all the fuckwits that seem to need to drive at the same time I am.

Aulayna
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Depends what it is.

If it's work, appointments etc I'll get there on time or earlier.

If it's a social event with friends then I'm pretty lenient because I know most of them are pretty terrible timekeepers. Doesn't really bother me if someone is late - I won't grill them for the reason of it I'll just be happy they turned up. My time is no more valuable or important than anyone else in a social event unless we have something booked (i.e. restaurant table or cinema tickets) for a specific time.

What *really* irks me though is people who are all "yeah yeah yeah I'll go" and then never show up or get in touch with anyone about it. That I will grill them a bit on.

Denmark
12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I am always fifteen minutes early for everything. I will never be late for anything in my life.

yeah pretty much this

Pike
12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm usually about five minutes early for things. I'm pretty good at being able to time myself and how long it takes to get to a certain place and I know when to leave the house.

Sometimes we get snow dumped on us overnight, though, and I don't notice until I actually step outside. Then I'm late. xD

Night Fury
12-04-2012, 10:26 AM

This.
I guess even when I say I'm running late, I'm running a little bit off time to be as early as I'd like to be.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
I always show up on time for work, and I get annoyed by the fact that all of my co-workers are consistently late by at least 5 minutes every day. I don't like my job anymore than they do, but I've been hired to be somewhere at a certain time. So I'm going to be there.

Maybe it's out of habit from all of the years I went to school. If you aren't in your classroom by the time the bell rings you receive a consequence. Detention, whatever. Something like that.

Other than that there aren't too many things I need to show up for. I don't hang out with anyone. When a family get together comes around for the holidays they just give a general time around which to show up, because we end up staying late into the night anyway.

Bubba
12-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Unless it's something that's out of my control then I'm not usually late. Plus, I'll always give plenty of notice to whoever I'm meeting if I'm gonna be late.

I can pretty much confirm now that I'll be late for the 11am start at the UK EOFF meetup on 19th Jan 2013... how's that for notice?

escobert
12-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I try very hard to be on time but sometimes it just doesn't work out. The worst for me is that I work at 5 am so some mornings it's a pain getting out of bed when I stay up until 11 or midnight playing GW2. But, today my store manager told me as long as I can keep a good attendance record in the next few months there is no reason I wont be a supervisor :cool:

Sephex
12-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Sorry, I'm late to this thread.

Otherwise, I am very good at being on time.

Futan
12-04-2012, 03:05 PM
When it matters. Interviews, appointments, etc. on time. Work doesn't care so I don't either.

Faris
12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I will have nightmares and anxiety about being late for anything even though I am possibly the most punctual person ever.

...That's a bit sad, isn't it?

Red Mage Coffman
12-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not always on time, but when I am...

I have a bad habit of showing up either really early or really late. It's a curse, I swear.

Pumpkin
12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I am very punctual. to me, being on time is being late. Thanks to the crappy small town bus schedule last year I would show up at my school four hours early rather than risk being ten minutes late.

Flaming Ice
12-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Usually try to get to places a bit earlier but recently I've been getting there pretty much right on time.

Really annoying with work though cause my boss expects to do stuff right away, even if I don't have the uniform shirt on yet (I use the ones he has for us over top of a regular shirt)....no matter how early I am he expects me to help him out right away.....

I don't mind helping out but those early minutes are still my time...

Shiny
12-05-2012, 01:46 AM
You are all obviosly white or azn. Of course I don't care about being on time, I'm black. I was late to work today as of matter of fact, so was my boss and my other boss is late everyday. However I manage to still get to places on time usually even when I leave too late.

Laddy
12-05-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm always obsessively early for everything, even getting stressed out like hell if I'm less than ten minutes early.

Do I have a problem?

Raistlin
12-05-2012, 01:59 AM
I am pathologically punctual as a result of being constantly annoyed at my mom's lateness growing up. I am punctual or early to everything, from big things like a work obligation to minor or purely social things like dinner. I had to consciously adjust in college and grad school to "student time," which is always at least 10-15 minutes late for everything; when I didn't, I was always early and waiting for everyone else.

Christmas
12-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I was puntucal for my first date and the guy ditched me because that is not ladylike! :(

I was late for my other date and the guy ditched me because I kept him waiting! :(

So I decided to post on an internet forum and not go on any dates. :bigsmile:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Despite my last post I was late for work today by 5 minutes, ironically.

I caught two trains on the way to work. The city I live in has a train port so it isn't uncommon to drive across some tracks a couple times before you get wherever you're trying to go.

Even though I make it a constant effort to be on time, I'll risk being late before I ever leave extra early :colbert:

41-Inches-Wide
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm always on time. I haven't been late or absent at work in close to a year so I'm getting an incentive at our company year-end party :jess:

Quindiana Jones
12-03-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm never late.

Shorty
12-03-2013, 02:41 AM
I'll allow it because you either did this on purpose or had really good timing. Either way it's in line with the thread.

Spooniest
12-03-2013, 02:47 AM
They say a wizard is never late. Nor is he early.

He arrives precisely when he means to!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-03-2013, 02:49 AM
I always show up on time for work, and I get annoyed by the fact that all of my co-workers are consistently late by at least 5 minutes every day. I don't like my job anymore than they do, but I've been hired to be somewhere at a certain time. So I'm going to be there.

This isn't a relevant quote for me anymore.

I think back when I was a supervisor I would get annoyed at my co-workers being late because I would be the only one that got in trouble if we were late getting things done.

Now that I'm a peon again, I don't mind being a few minutes late. I think I'm good as long as I'm not 10-15 minutes over schedule.

Calliope
12-03-2013, 05:08 AM
To be on time is to be ten minutes early.

Araciel
12-03-2013, 05:14 AM
I hate when people write "it's" when they mean "its".

Scotty_ffgamer
12-03-2013, 05:22 AM
If I'm not on time to something, it will stress me out so much that I start to feel physically ill, even when I'm late due to circumstances outside of my control. I've gotten better about this over the years, but I doubt I'll ever be okay with showing up late to something. Deadlines are a different story. I still very rarely ever tried to turn in schoolwork late, but I didn't stress as much with that.

However, other people being late to something doesn't bother me. None of my friends or family ever show up on time to anything, so I'm used to it. The only time it does bother me is if someone doesn't call or text me to let me know they'll be significantly late or something/not answer my own calls or texts. Usually those people just end up not showing up to whatever it was I planned (such as my birthday get together I planned this year in which only one person showed up... about 4 hours late.)

Shaibana
12-03-2013, 02:46 PM
i am never late, and i keep a 'time track' every time i went to work. i knew exactly at what minute i had to be at wich point.

if i have to pick someone up or set my boyfriend on the train (who insist that i stay till the train actually leaves, to wave goodbye :l ) i dont want to wait more then 5 minutes. i hate waiting

Shlup
12-04-2013, 04:54 AM
I can be really punctual or really not, depending on the situation. For example, my dad is terribly un-punctual, so I may show up an hour or two late to events at his house.

Ayen
12-04-2013, 07:46 AM
If I have a deadline with something I'm passionate about I'm obsessed with always meeting it on time unless I'm physically unable to get out of my bed.

That happened once, too. Inner ear infection. Not pleasant...

Drift
12-05-2013, 04:23 PM
i always want to be early. even in the freezing cold ;(

Elskidor
12-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Always early to work, and usually early for everything. If something comes up where I can't be early then I will at least be right on time, and likely call up to give a heads up that I may be a tad late, even if it's just by 2 minutes. It's a actually a pet peeve of mine when people are late. Once or twice I can understand, but if they have a new excuse for being late very other day, then they might as well find a new job/person to meet up with/whatever the case, because I won't tolerate long. I married a very last minute or running late lady, so I guess I'm suppose to eventually learn to get past my pet peeve, or maybe I'm suppose to help her at being punctual.