PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Final Fantasy?

Jiro
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM

It's a question that has plagued us for years: what exactly makes a Final Fantasy game? We've had countless discussions over whether the latest instalment is a "true" FF and tried to think about what we'd like to put in upcoming ones. But Square Enix has got the hint, and has given us the five must-haves for all Final Fantasy games.

The first, and most obvious of all, is Magic. It plays a vital role in the gameplay mechanics, as well as helping to shape each world into something unique. It's even an integral part of the traditional job system; you wouldn't get anywhere if your mages couldn't case magic! Even games taking a futuristic or science fiction approach (looking at you, VII, VIII and XIII) contain magic, so it really is a staple.

Second, and building on the first, is Summoning. This is an odd thing to include considering the original Final Fantasy lacked summoning. Indeed, it wasn't until Final Fantasy III (the Japanese version) that summoning and the summoner class even became A ThingTM. But it has become a constant inclusion, even becoming one the core plot element in FFVIII and the summons themselves being important plot devices in numerous games.

Atomos consuming Lindblum in Final Fantasy IX. Just one of several summon-related catastrophes.

Our third requirement is Gorgeous Beauty. Something a little more abstract, it seems. Current games seem to be taking this in a very literal fashion, aiming for stellar graphics and character design, but this really is present all the way through the series. The sprite work in the earlier FFs was sublime and really set the bar high on being able to convey emotion. Scenery is included in this too, and we could sit here all day talking about the lovely locations. I'll spare you my fanboyistic ramblings, though!

Item number four is Refinement, which is far more abstract than the previous one. Looking at the series as a whole though, there has been constant innovation and refining of storytelling, battle systems and design. The series has never once rested on its laurels and said "that's good enough" which is probably why it can divide its fan base so dramatically! Refinement is obviously a key factor in FFXIV with its disappointing launch.

Last but not least, Square Enix suggests that all Final Fantasy games require Change and Challenge. Sneaky, getting a two-for-one in there. Change is obvious; Final Fantasy long maintained that all games would be completely independent of the previous and subsequent. While that has since changed (is that a pun or just poor word choice?), the series continues to create new worlds, new faces and new tales for us to enjoy. Challenge, on the other hand, is completely ambiguous and I cannot say for sure what they mean. That's why I'm here writing and they're there creating!

Waiting for Noctis and Final Fantasy Versus XIII sure is a challenge though.

If you have any thoughts on these five factors, or perhaps know what "Challenge" really means, then drop us a comment! We'll be using this as a checklist to scrutinise each and every Final Fantasy that comes our way now!

Jinx
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Final Fantasy needs a blonde dude with blue eyes, and a brunette girl with brown eyes. :monster:

kotora
12-04-2012, 03:36 PM
What makes a Final Fantasy not a Final Fantasy?

Dr. rydrum2112
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
If they define challenge in terms of our conceptions, then there is no definition of what a final fantasy is because every time we define what it is, they challenge us with a new conception of what a final fantasy could be.

Quindiana Jones
12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
A game can only be a Final Fantasy game if it contains items or characters with attributes either prefixed or suffixed with "sword" or its synonyms.

silentenigma
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I've been pretty convinced for awhile now that Sakaguchi makes a Final Fantasy.

Bahamut2000X
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I've been pretty convinced for awhile now that Sakaguchi makes a Final Fantasy.

And playing through Lost Odyssey I'd have to agree with you there. It's the most Final Fantasy game to come out since IX.

Del Murder
12-18-2012, 05:37 AM
If it has chocobos it's a Final Fantasy game.