PDA

View Full Version : Favorite character in this game?

Red Mage Coffman
12-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Before I begin, I love this game. Yes, I love the linear hallways of Final Fantasy XIII. After all, at the end of every hallway is an amazing cutscene and, in my opinion, that makes it all worth it. What I love most though is the characters, some of the best characters the series has ever produced. Thats what I'm here to talk about.

Who was your favorite character? In terms of development, design, and all those good things. Hell, even music or the eidolons they use can play a role, just tell me why.

To start things off, I'm gonna go with Hope.

I hated this little guy at first, I'll be honest. I thought a more fitting name would be Despair. He was constantly whining in some way, his character felt weak and horrid, and his excessive mention of "Operation Nora" killed me. I understood the point, but it was awful hearing him talk about it every five seconds.

"I wanna kill Snow cause he killed my mom and he didn't even care and he is a murderer and my mommy isn't here and I'm so angry at Snow I could just..."

This was literally my thoughts on his character up until about chapter 6.

I don't know what it was about Chapter's 6, 7, 8, and 9, but some of the best character developments I have EVER seen occured here in the game. Hope's in particular. Hope was more of a man here than he was any where else in the game. He accepts the death of his mother, he FINALLY figures out that it isn't all Snow's fault that Nora dies and that Snow isn't completely apathetic as to what happens to the people that die around him, and he begins coping with the fact that he a L'Cie and its just all so amazing. Easily some of the best development I've seen in a while. I've come to adore his character design as well, for some reason. Yes, even his Tidus-like hair style. His Boomerang is still a tad bit silly, but I never use it anyways. Hope is far to busy being an amazing Ravager/Synergist for that. I also though his theme was fantastic. Listening to it is almost like accepting that even in the deepest despair, there is always hope...

Anyways, now that I'm done being a fanboy, hazzah! Tell me what YOU think.

Goldenboko
12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
The Frocobo.

Red Mage Coffman
12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Everyone hates this game T.T

Formalhaut
12-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I like the game!

In terms of characters, the frocobo was adorable. And actually, Sazh was my favourite character. It just gave the game that grounded feeling that other games don't.

Laddy
12-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Sazh is one of the best characters in the series, let alone the game. His motivations and personality are both noble yet realistic, something the series could use more of.

Also, he was funny because he was witty, not because he was a buffoon, which is another thing I appreciate about him.

After that, probably Lightning. She's pretty badass.

Hollycat
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Hope's father, closely followed by the frocobo, not so closely followed by Morgan Freeman, who, despite not actually being in the game, was still the third best character in it.

Formalhaut
12-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Hope's father, closely followed by the frocobo, not so closely followed by Morgan Freeman, who, despite not actually being in the game, was still the third best character in it.

I forget about Bartholomew Estheim! See, he's so unknown most people just refer to him as "Hope's dad". I actually enjoyed his very brief stint in the game. Shame he didn't stay longer.

Palom Porom
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Sazh definetly was the best voice acting in the game. He had gave comic relief and had a bad ass afro. Frocobo was awesome too, somehow somebody put 'This guy is a frocobo' under my name at my profile haha. Lightning was the sexiest. that's for sure. But Sazh is number 1 for me.

Reverof Enola
12-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Everyone hates this game T.T
I don't know who this "everyone person" is, but s/he sounds a bit close-minded.

Forsaken Lover
12-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Snow followed by Hope followed by Yaag.

Zeiferxx
05-05-2013, 02:11 PM
My favourite was Fang.

Xannidel
05-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Sazh followed by Lightning followed by Hope then Vanille then Fang then Snow. That's the order of the playable characters that I liked.

Sazh had a small role at first but once he reveals what happened to his snow I just felt so much closer to him because he became more then an old man, he was a loving father fighting to get his son back to normal, also Chapter 4 or 5 whichever one it is that has him getting his eidolen, yeah that was sad as hell for me.

Lightning annoyed me at first because of how cruel and mean she was but she actually grew out of that with Hope in her party and she learned that she can make mistakes and learn from them.

Hope...Well look at Coffman's OP for good reasons.

Vanille because she was so kooky at first that it drove me insane but then you learn her backstory and she grows more emotions besides trying to put on a brave front for the others.

Fang...Well I liked her in my party but that was really about it.

Snow...I hated him, with a passion. Trying to be the hero and brushing off everything else. Trying to justify his actions as "saving Serah" and what not and it took him a while to apologize to Hope for what happened to Nora.

Forsaken Lover
05-06-2013, 01:04 AM
He didn't do anything to Nora. She made the choice to fight and died as a result of that choice. She was a grown woman and no one was responsible for her actions aside from herself.

Snow owed Hope no apology whatsoever. Hope's lashing out at him was an irrational act of grief and nothing more.

Zeiferxx
05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Yeah it was Nora's choice to fight he didn't make her to fight. Anyway I find Snow irritating, because of his personality and style thinking he can beat anyone. He is just raising his self-confidence and in the end doing nothing.

DanielCLFFF13
05-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Final Fantasy 13 sequel is my favorite. Lightning is my favorite character. I hope Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 will not end this game sequel. I think this is the best game. But, it is my opinion. Every person is different, right?

maybee
05-08-2013, 03:35 AM
Fang

I was alright with Hope and Snow despite most of the Fandom finding them annoying.

Sephiroth
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Lightning, Snow and Cid.

Elly
05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Lightning, Vanille, Labreux, & Jhil Nabaat... i've never understood all the hate for Vanille though, she's fun, quirky, and adorable, even if she is just putting up a brave face...

Forsaken Lover
05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
People hate her precisely because she is fun, quirky and adorable. That type of character really irritates some people for whatever reason.

It's like how people whine about the "noises" she makes. They never bothered me at all.

The only noise that bothered me in battle was this one hilariously bad grunt Feng would let out. I never used her much so I don't know when she did it but man it was terrible.

And what you said about Vanille only putting up a brave front is a big reason to like her. X and XIII were good in having a better type of Genki Girl with Rikku being pretty intelligent and Vanille only putting on a happy go lucky face to cover up how miserable she was.

Pumpkin
05-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Aside from the obvious of Frocobo, I would have to say Sazh. He's the only character who didn't get on my nerves at some point in the game.

His picture on the equip screen made him look a bit slow though :/.

Aulayna
05-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Sazh and Vanille

Scotty_ffgamer
05-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Sazh all the way!

Shaibana
05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
there is something about Hope that i really like.. i think its mainly in his voice