PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 (Or just the best few) Games of the Year.

NeoCracker
12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I think its late enough in the year that just about anything people have been excited for has already come out, (Barring a couple games like Play Station All Star Battle Royal, and P4: The Golden, a PSVita Remake), so I think it's time for everyone's favorite games of the year.

As usual, I shall be presenting mine in the style of a correctly done Top 10, and presumably you uncultured heathens will do your random jumbles of no particular order, or start at your top favorite for some silly reason.

Anyway, first I'll post a few games I didn't get to this year, so Sadly they won't be on my list.

Last Story
Final Fantasy: Dimensions
Code of Princess
Dragons Dogma
Dishonered

To start with, this game year was weak. Very weak. So weak, that the bottom game of my top 10 isn't even a game I liked. Hell, were it not for a recent PSN download, I'd have two games I didn't like on this list, but hell, I'll list it anyway. Just because I have yet to have the chance to bitch about it. :p

Okay, this was easily one of the most disappointing games I've played in a long time. If you know me, you know how much I loved the first Agarest. It was difficult, it had a vast amount of great characters, and a story expanding across five generations. Its easily one of the best SRPG's I've ever played.

So I guess It's easy to see why this game bothers me so much. None of the characters match up, the designs are no where near as cool, and worse off the SRPG set up was switched out for an, in this case, inferior turn based system. Really, in no way does this game measure up to the previous.

So, that begs the question of would this game stand up on it's own, outside of Agarest War 1's Shadow? No. A battle takes a long time, even just normal encounters, and yet the length of the fight you don't really feel like you are doing anything. The characters still aren't very good, and it makes it hard to care about anything going on since these characters you don't like deliver all the dialogue.

After all this time, we finally get Twisted Metal back, and man was I let down by the single player. I loved playing through all the different characters stories, seeing how Calipso smurfed with their wishes. This game has 3 or 4 stories. Mind you, Sweet Tooths was awesome.

The Visuals were spectacular, and his story was great. But really that's all I can say about the game that's positive. I didn't care for the others stories, they were way to short considering that's all there were, and in that regard I feel Twisted Metal 3 is still the best of the series.

The Control Scheme sticks to the usual, which by now feels a bit Archaic, but usable. I'm not much for online focus, so I can't really comment there. Really, it's decently designed enough, it's just nothing I've always loved Twisted Metal for.

All I can really say is it's enjoyable enough. Its kind of Clique, and fate plots can always get kind of goofy. The World maps are really great looking, the gameplay is decent, characters range from meh to pretty good. Honestly the only real downside is the game doesn't do anything great. Just overall enjoyable. Nothing ground breaking, nothing bad.

This game will not appeal to most people. At all. I'll be honest, the story of this game can barely be taken seriously. The combat system is really just pretty good. It's slightly better then the first, but nothing to write home about.

This game is carried on the back of it's simply bizzare and hilarious nature. The game knows it's not to be taken seriously, and runs with it. It pokes fun at a bunch of video game and anime cliques, and is basically a paradoy of those things. It's just hilarious and creepy the whole way through, and I love it for it.

Though Again I stress, this game is NOT for everyone. And by that I mean most people. Just to give you an example, they have a line of Dialogue “I Can taste your innocence” that sounds WAY creepier in context then it does out of context right here.

This game got a lot of flack for it's control scheme, but to be honest I handled the game without a problem, so I don't really see what the issues other people had were. It handled just fine, and felt satisfying when you killed things. So the controls get no issue from me.

Like Suda's other games, there are 2 things that make this game stand out. Firstly is the boss fights. From the Punk Rock Zombie voiced by Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence, to Disco Zombie in Black face flying around in a UFO, the bosses are all wonderfully inventive, and fun as hell to fight.

The Second thing is a strangely bizarre world that manages to make you care about it, even with all the goofiness of the reality. The game's characters and world aren't realistic, and they don't try to be. Yet somehow you get sucked into this strange world and the fate of it's people still matter to you. This is one thing I always liked about No More Heroes as well.

It is, of course, still a Suda game. I was laughing constantly as I played through it, there was never a dull moment.

Though now I get to the negative. This game is way to short. It's another constant flaw of a Suda game. The Length is just terrible for a full priced game. There is some replayability with unlocking outtifts and what not, but a 6 hour play time to beat the game is no good for me.

And the smurfing quick time mini game with Nick. IT's there to waste your god damn time, and is not remotely enjoyable or fun to watch. Though the game is still very fun, even if those two aspects bothered the hell out of me. :p

I was always going to like this game. I love Shin Megami Tensai's writing, and the Battle System crafted by Aksys, a tweaked version of their BlazBlu games, runs smoothly. It has some really top notch writing for a fighting game, and handles very well.

The only real issue with it is it doesn't really do that much differently from BlazBlu, and feels like it really could be an entry in that franchise, and it lacks any of the social buildings of the Persona games I love so much. Mind you, it's understandable given the genre, but still a little sad nothing was included.

If I was more into fighting games, I'm not sure how I'd rate this. I'm not really a competitive player, so I can't say how broken or unbroken it is, so for the die hard fighting enthusiasts, loot to someone elses opinion. :p

Okay, I almost came when they finally revealed the third one of these. 1 and 2 were hilarious and fun, and with Zeboyd games behind the third (The ones behind Cthulu saves the World and Breath of Death VII: The Beginning), it was promising.

The game delivered. Opting for the more Retro Graphical stylings of Zeboyd, we get an SNES RPG era style adventure. The story these games have been building really is top notch. The guy at Penny Arcade are good at more then just 1-3 strip stories, and it comes with all of their wit and humor you would expect.

You can mix up to 3 classes with each of your party members, their base class as well as two others. This gives you a lot of options on how to build your parties. The classes themselves are hilarious, with a huge variety. One of my favorites is Hobo, who can inflict Hoboism on it's targets.

The game comes with a fair amount of challenge, though not as much as a game like Breath of Death, and I always appreciate a good challenge.

This game is best described as Old School. It has a mix of elements of the NES era Gaunltent, Zelda, and Secret of Mana. Really, I play this game and see everything I wish the Mana series had grown to become.

It has that trademark NIS style of bizarre humor and characters that help to drive the narrative. The story, as little as I have played into it, seems pretty basic but serviceable. I'm not expecting some crazy Disgaea like Plot to come of all this, but who knows.

The real crutch is the combat is great. Mid dungeon you switch between your party members, controlling them one at a time, and each party member plays differently depending on the class you have them with, and the weapons equiped. Mind you, even under similar classes the characters play differently, so you still have reason to pick different people to take in with you.

For a 30$ game, PSN download, there is an insane level of customization, and the game seems like it is going to take some time to beat.

I know it's a bit premature to rate the game so high, seeing as how little I've played, but what I've done so far is really fun, but it's always possible I'll amend this to lower on my list in the future. :p

This game is absolutely everything I had hoped it would be. It had taken everything done in the first Borderlands game and improved upon it, fixing many of the issues the first title had.

To start with, they lost none of their ridiculous humor, and expanded on it. With all the new and returning characters, the game is constantly hilarious.

The second big thing is the story. Oh god did they improve the story. You get some honestly surprising plot twists involving Angel, the AI who helps you in this game and guided you through Borderlands 1, and an amazing Villain in Jack. On whole, the story being told is decent, nothing amazing. What seals the deal here is Angel and Jack, and the original cast of Borderlands 1. You get invested in these characters, and start to care about what it is that will happen to everyone. I won't spoil it here, but there are two moments in this game where trout gets personal with Jack. For those of you who know, you'll know what I mean by bringing up The Wildlife Preservation and The Bunker.

The gameplay was smoothed out and expanded a bit on, but on a whole stays true to Borderlands 1. They added enough to keep it from getting stale, as well as keep the games feel the same. Really, this game is everything a Sequal should be.

I will go on to state this is arguably the greatest Strategy RPG ever made, as well as arguably the greatest original hand held game ever made. (This excludes remakes and Ports.)

Firstly, it has Shin Megami's absolutely wonderfully designed characters. Both in art design and personality. No one feels wasted, even in it's large cast. The only character I feel is that lacking is the female lead, I forget her name off the top of my head. Though I notice Atlus has a habit of this. Yukari in Persona 3 I wanted to stab violently, Chie in 4 who I just thought was alright while still being the games weakest character, and the worst offender of all Yuhoo in Devil Survivor 1. But this is an unrelated tangent. :p

The story in this is another really good one. The world is on the brink of destruction with these demons coming, and you are fighting under Yamata to save it. As the game progresses, your interactions with the Mysterious boy and Yamata reveal more and more about whats going on, and all the powers and ideologies at play. In the end there are 4 endings to choose between, all of which are endings you can reasonably see yourself selecting.

And I will bring this up now, Joe is smurfing awesome. He is easily my favorite in the game, and makes one of the greatest references in gaming history. As he walks off to see his bed ridden girlfriend he sings to himself, 'Girl we've been together, for such a long long time~'. That's all you get, but if you've heard it, you know what's going on. :p

The gameplay, much like with Borderlands 2, is a smoothed out and expanded upon version of the first game. Even the system of building affinities with other people has been improved upon greatly. Another great example of a sequel doing everything that it is a sequels job to do.

This is a game I was afraid I was going to miss this generation. And I am happy I didn't. Firstly, however, I will get one quick rants out of the way. The second one I'll make involves spoilers, so I'll spoiler that one and wait until I'm talking about characters to post it.. :p

Firstly, the side quests are both this games blessing and it's curse. It's very easy to start to feel like all these extra quests can be a bit pointless and overwhelming in their shear volume. There are a lot of side quests. That easily makes up the bulk of the game.

At their best, you get things like the quest that starts off at the Satori Marsh helping a Pon in a cave not get eaten, and through seemingly unrelated quests it all culminates to one giant plot expanding to near end game.

At their worst, you have Material Collection Quest Part 1-4 done for random no name for no real discernible reason.

And it can be annoying to track down the guys you need to turn quests into, especially frontier villiage which has around 9 floors to look through to fnd these smurfers. This is where I broke down and just started using a guide, because this gets ridiculous.

That out of the way, this game is absolutely stunning. The first thing I want to say about it is this game is the perfect examply of why Art Design is better then Graphics. The land scapes and scale of this game are absolutely asstounding, and monster design is always wonderful. This game looks better then anyting on PS3 and 360, the only exception I can think of being Dark Souls. I think my absolute favorite area of the game in term of aesthetics is Prison Island. Really this game is chalk full of amazing atmosphere.

Next up the story. Oh is the story wonderful. Starting off as a quest for revenge, as more things are learned the goals and aspirations of the party begins to change, especially when the realize the truths behind the Face Mechon, the Mechon themeselves, as well as Bionis, the world they live on. The plot is full of great twists and amazing moments, helped along by its wonderful atmosphere.

Characters are also great in this game. Your main character isn't as cool as most of the rest of the cast, but he makes for a good lead with understandable motivations.

Reyn as your slightly thick best friend is pretty funny, and very dependable. Probably one of the games most cliché characters, but in the end he's always fun to have around.

Dunban is the guy you get who is way cooler then your main. The one armed swordsman who originally wielded the Monado against the Mechon, he is the seasoned and well spoken vetran. His dialogue is awesome, his design is great, he's very funny when he wants to be, and is bitchin' in cut scenes. You get the occasional thought of 'why isn't this guy the hero?' rather often. :p

I will give the Xeno team some major props for Riki. I feel as if Riki was an apology for the atrocity that was smurfing pupu in Xenogears. He's the games mascot character, but he's actually very funny. If you are focusing on just the plot, he comes across as kind of pointless, but if you do the games Heart to Hearts, you start to feel as though Riki really is a part of the team. He keeps the teams spirits up, and helps them realize what it is that is really important for all of them. I think the game would truly be missing something with the absence of Riki.

On the contrary, there would be very little noticed were Sharla were to just not be there. She's a good character and all, but aside from the arc you get her, and one very short bit just before the Core, there doesn't really seem to be a need for her to be there.

Though now for Melia, the games best character. I remember talking with Wolf a bit, and we both worried that Melia would turn out to be a bit of a cliché' character. She is easily one of the best written female characters I have ever seen in a video game, the only one that comes to mind handled better is Persona 4's Naoto. I won't go into more detail, because a lot of the reasons I like her will spoil some of the story, but If you've made it up to The Core, and know who the last character is, you can unspoiler my next rant, cause it'll involve a bit of Melia! :monster:

smurf Fiora. Meyneth is great, but I was sad she got stuck to Fiora. She is, for multiple reaosns, the games worst aspect. Xeno is above such a horribly clique character. I know a can rag on Xenogears a lot, but they did a damn good job at avoiding this kind of thing even in that game. Fiora exists as Shulks love interest because she's his child hood friend, and nothing more. This is one of my most hated clique's in anything.

Worst of all is what her interaction with Melia leads to. The last Heart to Heart they have is nothing short of infuriating. As Fiora leaves, Melia says 'I really can't compare to her' as if to say Fiora is the stronger character of the two. smurf that.

Melia has had to deal with way more bulltrout story wise then Fiora has. Melia, after the events at Prison Island, has every reason to travel with you to chase after Metal Face. Firstly she has, after this time spent, fallen in love with Shulk. She knows Shulk cares about this Fiora girl, and knows that if she lets him go she will pretty much lose her chance at being with the man she loves. On top of that, Metal face killed her father, and of course she desires revenge against Metal Face and the Mechon for doing this to her and to all of her people.

Despite all of this, she choses to stay behind. The fate of both her people and the Homs and Nippon hang in the balance, and she is needed to help this. Mind you her smurfing awesome brother gets her to go with them for actually very valid reasons, and has a great plan to cover for her absence, but point in case, she was willing to give up all that and realize the good of the whole smurfing world was more important.

Hell, after Fiora Joins, she realizes Shulk is in love with her. So, rather then cause trouble for him, she gracefully stands to the side. Not once does she let her jealously effect her duties or her friendships.

Finally, there is the High Entia turning into the Telethia. She fights against the people who were once her family and friends, people who had trusted her of mixed blood to be the one to lead them, people she cared deeply about. Because again, she realized it needed done. Once again she subjects ehrself to some of the most horrible situations a person in this game has to go through, for the good of those she cares for, and the good of the people of the world.

Don't you dare for a second try to tell me smurfing smurfing Fiora is anywhere near as strong a person as Melia. Whoever wrote this and who ever okayed this needs to bow their heads in smurfing shame.

With that out of the way, the last bit to discuss is the battle system. It's really good. There is a lot of customization amongst your party, and really no character is useless. Everyone can have a purpose in battle, and dependant upon affinities and the skills you select, everyone can have multiple roles they can preform. It keeps combat fresh for most of the game.

It can start to drag a bit near the end, depending on your stratagy. Mine involved by doing very little, opting to quickly build my Talent gauge to keep re-casting Armour every 15 seconds, which invovled me letting my guy auto-attack, and every so often drop a heal. When I developed this stratagy, I felt like I wasn't doing much, but this is pretty late game. So most of my 150 Hours of playing was great.

To wrap up, smurfing great game. It's big problems keep it from being my favorite RPG of all time, but dam does it do a good job at trying, and I can see it at least being top 10, if not top 5.

Hollycat
12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
If it weren't for the ciddies, I would suggest we all have an actual game of the year nomination thread.

Bolivar
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, this is UBH's annual thread (which I've been looking forward to) where we each list the best that we played and then some people get angry when certain consoles aren't represented in other people's lists :roll2. But I think an EoFF GOTY thread would be an awesome, separate tradition, so someone with some serious posting and photoshop skills get on that!

I'll be coming with my 10 in a min. I agree that this was a very slow year, especially for console gaming. I think I only bought one PS3 game, and it's something that I also have a copy of, and which I play more often, on PC. Accordingly, I do think it was an interesting year for PC; there were some unique titles, a few big showstoppers, brand new games selling for a only a scant few dollars and overall a good year to be a part of it, given that we're in console generation limbo right now.

NeoCracker
12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
It's been a while since I've honestly been dissapointed in a gaming year myself. At least the top few games were amazing though. :p

Red Mage Coffman
12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I REALLY wanna play Hyper Dimension Neptuina Mark 2.

I've seen it, but I've always eluded it. Now I NEED it.

Wolf Kanno
12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
My year has mostly been trying to play catch up with 2011 but I have a few games I can do for this list. I just want to play through one game before I do this list.

Laddy
12-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I finished Fallout 2 again. So...Fallout 2?

Pete for President
12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
There were games released this year? Didn't notice, I was busy playing the best game of ever.
DARK SOULS.

Bolivar
12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
All of these are games I play on PC.

10. Nexuiz
http://xtragfx.com/uploads/posts/2012-05-29/1338308406_lpcV.jpg

If you play on console and like arena shooters like Unreal, by all means get it. I've been watching this game since PAX Prime 2010, know a few of the developers and partied pretty hard with them in Seattle. But on PC this game is optimized like crap, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Cry Engine 3, because Crysis 2 isn't particularly well optimized either, but his game just doesn't play how an arena shooter is supposed to on PC.

09. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgjCk_DS2TqokLcqoWc3nqtSK0mH5qAeGA8fjypWIJBMDJA47h

I'm going to say any new iteration of Counter-Strike is cool and I'll for sure keep coming back to it as the typical Valve season of free updates progresses, but this game fundamentally is a disappointment. I perked up when the competitive scene insiders on reddit AMAs stated that this game was intended to reconcile the 1.6 and Source communities and reinvigorate the game that essentially invented eSports as we know it with the Cyber Athlete League. The graphics are terrible for a 2012 FPS game, even a $15 one, but I would be ok with that if there were any meat on the bones. It launched with only two cs_ maps and 5 de_ maps. The new additions are worthless being that CS veterans won't want to play those modes and new gamers will not stay interested in this game. They wanted to return to the tight gameplay of 1.6 and from my time with the game, I have to say they've failed. Again, this will be a very different game a year from now and the effort should be commended, but it should not be up to the mod community to have to port cs_assault and de_cbble themselves.

08. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWs2iBrXpOsBmnOeaTYVYCXlsd4QlaMOYIIXm3HrV5yT0t3O1zwg

I'm not expecting to make any friends with this one, but I think Diablo III at least needs to be in the conversation. There's not a lot of innovation, customization is meaningless, and I would personally have no idea, but I've heard the endgame is a joke. I've had a blast with my barbarian, but the witch doctor was just not a fun class to play, and I suspect some others aren't great either. But overall it is a fun game, it has the production values Torchlight and R.A.W. can only dream of, but this game really shines in the matchmaking. It's so easy and seamless to jump in with a group at any given point in the story. I've maybe had the most fun playing with people I didn't know. Multiplayer is a big aspect, and streamlining it this far was noteworthy, even if it was only streamlining a twelve year old game.

07. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-itIYOwG85-L5U9kF4Omad5LKgeYnn77lr4SUIAUcKDbk89aU

From this point on are games I have no qualms about. The MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers series may be annual, but they're so special because of how they video-gameify Magic: The Gathering. They take the card game and make an interesting campaign out of it, a fun and (more importantly) balanced multiplayer experienced and a legitimate puzzle game. I also really like the decks in this one; I've built many iterations of Goblin and white-weenie/soldier decks and the ones here are a blast to play. I also like to think it keeps me current with the happenings of MtG, even though I haven't played or bought new cards in a long time.

06. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDuO5bCdmlM7wPTiumcHha5thHcULfYUut4ji_gqWwmV_B0AN5

My experience with this game (which is still in "beta") is limited, and it's been many years since I played the original WCIII mod, but this game has enormous potential. I don't know if it'll be the LoL-killer some are saying, but with the Steam integration and social features, I think this has the potential to be the flagship game on Steam, the one that you know you could jump into with any number of friends at any given time. Look out for this one when the final version hits.

05. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcj6gqkRN1Ri2dU0qLbBFggq5WS9XLC1_C8TarFdSJ3NjcEN_4

This is weird for me. I don't like puzzlers and I don't like indie games. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't interviewed and wrote a paper about the studio, Cipher Prime, to graduate law school. But Splice really sucked me in. The aesthetics just have this bizarre, engrossing atmosphere. I really enjoyed the polish, and the puzzle-solving was bizarre. I never really had that "a-ha!" moment that you get in a lot of puzzle games, I'm just going at it and solving these puzzles before I even realizing that I'm solving them. Dain Saint told me he came up with the concept just by staring at the trees in Rittenhouse Square and that's pretty cool to me.

04. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdsKAIyLK_fpj_q2CqlBp6b4Tkh8ke6H1a1gAFxCZl6fB38f7DHg

If you don't know what this game is, it's essentially the team behind the original Command & Conquer, Petroglyph (formerly Westwood) making the spiritual successor to the title they're known for. The game has that C&C vibe, from the hilarious unit chatter to the iconic music of Frank Klepacki. They've billed it as the first MMORTS, but it's really a F2PRTT - a Real Time Tactics game in the style of Company of Heroes or Dawn of War II, with the Free 2 Play MOBA style matches of League of Legends or DotA. It's still not out, there's rumors (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182893/End_of_Nations_future_uncertain_following_Petroglyph_layoffs__report.php#.UMEDioPAfmA) of it being canned, but in any case it was one of the most memorable games I played this year. It was awesome to get back into that hardcore RTS scene of staying up all night in random 2v2 and 4v4 battles and making friends along the way. It certainly has polish issues, but it totally put me back into that Red Alert 2 mindset and I really hope it gets finished.

03. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSj1Ewh4l4kRhwLQXrytlaxiplRzbljUJgPJ2G4ICyqNlW01Pv5

When I first read about this game, I almost started vomiting uncontrollably because of how sick it sounded. It puts you in control of a noble dynasty during the crusades, playing as each new head of household over time, arranging betrothals, contesting with the clergy, forging alliances, appeasing/suppressing your own vassals, and consolidating power. It's all about the characters and I think that's what sets it apart from other strategy titles. It's one of the most unique games I've ever played and the enthusiast press will have committed a foolish error if they leave it out of GOTY discussions.

02. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9FOOI2rzJPP8V3u0eyW-Z7AvG4V4uAWli9fKi0McNf7nF8pOC8g

A lot of gamers think it's all hype. They don't understand that there's a reason why Call of Duty is the most popular franchise right now. The game ships with more maps on the disc than any other shooter in the market. Their weapons, attachments, equipment, and perks repertoire dwarf the rest of the competition. There's more game modes and players than anywhere else. While every other FPS today struggles to imitate the XP and levelling system, they've long mastered the formula and improve on it every year. You never unlock better equipment as you level up in Call of Duty, and that's what FPS developers don't understand. You only unlock more variety. That variety expands every year, and in this one they've brought a lot of innovation with it. This one of the first games with a competitive league built right into the software. It has shoutcasting and livestreaming right from your console, with no extra equipment required. They've deconstructed Create-A-Class and allowed the player to put it back together however they see fit. The campaign has branching storylines, and the Strike Force missions are pioneering relatively unbroken ground - The RTSFPS. The original Black Ops was breaking apart at the seams with content, but this one has innovation oozing out as well.

01. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3Yf3ktxCk_WP1Xgu7uXe_TJfdkocLpe91SW0xbnLUid9oWVCN

Guild Wars 2 is the Game of the Year. There's no bigger story, there's no bigger development. It innovated so many things on so many different fronts. It reimagined how we play together with eachother. It changed the way we quest. It redefined crafting, dungeon roles, and about a half a dozen other things as well. It took character building to a new level, yet still somehow makes PvP so blissfully accessible. The WvWvW (server vs. server) PvP is incredibly well designed and addicting; it could've been its own game. Mainstream publications almost always give GotY to a console sequel, but it would be a crime if Guild Wars 2 did not make its way to the nominees.

NeoCracker
12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
And of course our lists look in no way, shape, or form resemble eachother. :p

Madame Adequate
12-05-2012, 10:13 PM
This year was pretty darned great for bideogamesu. Here are some of the highlights.

Crusader Kings 2 - Yes I would like to play Paradox's best game to date, be a ruthless bastard trying to gain power, marrying my gifted loli daughter to a fat lech with syphilis for political reasons, murdering my own sons/brothers/uncles/everyone, and fighting off both the Golden Horde and the god damn Aztec Empire because Paradox went Full Ahistory and it is glorious as Quetzalcoatl's coat of rainbow feathers and as radiant as the face of Huitzilopochtli.

Mass Effect 3 - The first and last half-hours were both shit. Everything in between was fucking amazing.

Trials Evolution - This game will break controllers and make you come back for more. It is astonishingly frustrating and addictive, and has a seriously old-school feel to it.

Max Payne 3 - This is How To Shooter 2012 edition. God damn the gunplay in this game is good. God damn.

Sleeping Dogs - When I first heard about True Crime 3: Hong Kong I wasn't at all interested. When it had development troubles I was even less interested. Then it came out and everything I saw said it was awesome. And you know what? It fucking well is. Probably the second-best game this year in my opinion.

FTL: Faster Than Light - This little indie darling was worth every penny and it's still something I fire up for regular playthroughs despite having seem much of it. It really is a brilliant little thing, and the sole fault I can find is that there's not a lot more of it.

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - After the catastrophe that was Cataclysm I wasn't excited for MoP but ended up getting it out of a misguided sense of loyalty and gambler's fallacy to the game. Holy crap was I wrong, this expansion is as good as The Burning Crusade, and it might honestly be the best WoW has ever been.

Dishonored - This game is so good oh my god, there is SO MUCH to love here. The design, the tools you can use, the different ways you can approach things, it's great.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - "Yeah right, they're going to make a worthy successor to the original in this day and age." I thought. Only they did. Get this game. Third best of the year and there's not a lot of ground between this and Sleeping Dogs.

Fallen Enchantress - A tremendous improvement over the last Elemental game, this is engaging, fun, and really sucks you in. It's not perfect and it needs work, but between this and Endless Space it's been a good year for 4x games.

Endless Space - It's been a long long time since I've seen a game with this much sheer polish to it. The game is not perfect, and it's not quite a Civ IV/SMAC/MoO2, but it comes closer than anything else has in a loooong time.

Assassin's Creed III - THOSE NAVAL BATTLES HOLY SHITTING CHRIST

The Walking Dead - Game Of The Year. No question or doubt. This is How To Videogames 101 and aside from some technical issues everything about this thing is fucking amazing go and buy it right now you clods why aren't you playing it

Not yet played but mite b cool: Drox Operative, UFC 3, Hotline Miami.

Bolivar
12-05-2012, 10:14 PM
And of course our lists look in no way, shape, or form resemble eachother.

Lol style wise or what's on it? In past years we usually did have a little overlap, but I think it's good that 2012 will probably have a lot of variety. Neither of our lists had Assassin's Creed 3, Dishonored (edit: Milf just got both of them), Journey, or a lot of the other titles which I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about this award season.

As I hinted at before, I think this is the interim period where one generation is ending and another is about to begin, and this has been one of the slower years for console. Somehow the stars just aligned that a lot of great titles came into fruition or entered open beta at the same time.

Hollycat
12-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Well, this is UBH's annual thread (which I've been looking forward to) where we each list the best that we played and then some people get angry when certain consoles aren't represented in other people's lists :roll2. But I think an EoFF GOTY thread would be an awesome, separate tradition, so someone with some serious posting and photoshop skills get on that!

I'll be coming with my 10 in a min. I agree that this was a very slow year, especially for console gaming. I think I only bought one PS3 game, and it's something that I also have a copy of, and which I play more often, on PC. Accordingly, I do think it was an interesting year for PC; there were some unique titles, a few big showstoppers, brand new games selling for a only a scant few dollars and overall a good year to be a part of it, given that we're in console generation limbo right now.
I've thought about making a game of the year competition and thread, but I don't want to overlap ciddies. If anyone would actually be interested in an annual goty for eyeson, knowing full well I would be hosting, pm me.

Pike
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
It really has been a good year for games. Anyway, I spend too much time playing old games, but let's see here:

Crusader Kings II: YES times 100, what a fantastic strategy game. It's so polished and a really strong release from Paradox who tends to have really, really buggy releases. Just an all around great game.

Endless Space: This is a great, great, solid 4X. As MILF was saying it might not be up there with SMAC/MoO2 but it's closer than just about anything else has gotten in recent history.

Torchlight II: Because Torchlight will never stop being amazing.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss. I had no idea an X-Com remake could be so amazing and perfect, but here we are. Could have used a slightly bigger budget and some more voice work, but that doesn't stop this from being my own personal GOTY.

Assassin's Creed 3: I don't even care if it's super casual to like this game. That freaking setting and everything is just fantastic.

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Easily the best WoW expac since Burning Crusade. The setting is beautiful and vivid and the storyline is sublime. Also the class mechanics have never been better. (I still miss shot weaving but that's just a personal gripe.)

Most of the other games I've been playing have been older stuff. Highlights for me include Star Wars: KoTOR, EDF 2017, and Morrowind, to name just a few. Also I have a giant backlog.

Shoeberto
12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
10. Nexuiz
There's a long backstory of crappiness to this that really sours my opinion of the game. Originally Nexuiz was a big free and open source shooter created by a dedicated community, but this one guy (who's honestly kind of a jerk) came along and offered one of the lead devs the opportunity to license it to create the game you've played. It wouldn't have been so bad but they took all of the concepts and totally undid all of the hard work put in by the community, saying they'd try to contribute back (and never did). It's not surprising that the release is kind of a mess because it was really a cash-in on a license that was making a name for itself among old school arena fans.

The good news is that the community revolted and made a fork of the original called Xonotic (http://www.xonotic.org) that's really quite good. The player base tends to be more European but last I played there were a lot of servers. I recommend at least giving it a shot since it's free and really pretty good.

Bolivar
12-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Hahaha, who's the jerk who offered to buy it? Are you talking about Khedrin Gonzalez?

I understand why it would be pretty crappy, but Illfonic is a small company and purchasing an existing IP for your first serious project is kind of a safe and good way to go. As far as promises back to the community, that's kind of dumb, they shouldn't have done anything like that which they couldn't back up.

Maybe I'll check out Xonotic.

Shoeberto
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Hahaha, who's the jerk who offered to buy it? Are you talking about Khedrin Gonzalez?

I understand why it would be pretty crappy, but Illfonic is a small company and purchasing an existing IP for your first serious project is kind of a safe and good way to go. As far as promises back to the community, that's kind of dumb, they shouldn't have done anything like that which they couldn't back up.

Maybe I'll check out Xonotic.
Yeah that was his name. He didn't interact very well with the community and that's the crux of the whole problem. It wouldn't have been as big of a deal had there been more interaction, but Illfonic just swooped in, announced This Is Happening, made some vague promises to make good with the community that they never fleshed out, and then disappeared until the game came out having almost nothing to do with the brand that the community originally put together aside from the name and being an arena shooter. A lot of people put a lot of time into it as a hobby with iirc no real acknowledgment for their effort for the 6ish years that Nexuiz was developed as an open source project. It was a really crap deal, though I think the fork reinvigorated the community a lot.

Balzac
12-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Dishonored - This game is so good oh my god, there is SO MUCH to love here. The design, the tools you can use, the different ways you can approach things, it's great.

Shame the ending was slack as fuck :( But yes it was a beautiful game non the less.

My list is:

Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3
ZombiU

Uh, I guess that's it.

Wolf Kanno
12-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I only played four 2012 games this year. Been mainly playing my backlof for the rest. It was also a largely slow year for me, not much held my interest and I don't play as many of the big name franchises like I used to (though I did get the Uncharted Trilogy for Christmas) so here are my four games.

4. Persona 4 Arena - Wasn't surprised this was good, I mean I love Atlus and Arksys is pretty solid. I feel the game works well with a really nice story mode, and the gameplay is excellent because Arksys finally tried to make a fighting game with a newbie player in mind since RPGs are apparently not played by the action gamer crowd. It works really well, being very user-friendly, and not have the reverse counter ultra roman cancel parry moves that make the genre unapproachable by anyone who isn't tournament grade. I wasn't wild about Labrys when she was first announced for the game, but now I feel she's one of the best elements of the game and I like how the story opens up some options for what Persona 5's story may be about.

3. Assassin's Creed 3 - Fixed some of my issues with the series, and genuinely was a fun experimental game that tried to shake up the formula a little bit with mixed results. Conner is not going to dethrone Ezio as the spokesman for the franchise but he was a good character none the less. I like how the game cleverly allowed you to finally get some insight into the villains and make hunting down the Templars a more personal experience for the player. I also love how the story returned to the moral gray of AC1 and Revelations, with the Templars appearing as decent people again as opposed to the absolute monsters that Ezio fought in Italy. Likewise, I enjoy that the game makes you the player question whether you're own actions as Conner were actually good, as it seems like the Assassin's caused as much issues as the Templars did. The new ship system was excellently implemented and one of the most fun new features. The new Assassin's Tombs sections were also pretty awesome as well and tried to keep the cinematic presentation that AC Revelations gave them. The game also opened with an awesome twist right from the beginning and never has a trophy/Achievement title ever been so accurate as "How do you like them apples?". On the flip side, the game had issues with story pacing, which ultimately lead to taking longer to like Conner and some of the characters because the game loved to jump around time to the big events as well as resolve certain story elements off screen which really irked me to no end. Conner could have surpassed Ezio had the game delved into his past more and actually showed us things. The game is also buggy as all hell, and I'm not talking about the silly bugs that cause some funny effects with character models, I'm talking about bugs that make completing the game sometimes impossible like in one of the time limit missions, I had a door I had to use to exit and complete the mission and the game wouldn't register it, or the infamous final mission of the Captain Kidd side missions which wouldn't register some of the puzzle elements for no good reason. Despite all of this, I really enjoyed the game, and even after everything was done, I found myself wanting more which is why this is ranked higher than P4 Arena.

2. The Last Story - So I'm cheating a bit, I haven't actually finished this game but I feel I'm far enough in to make a value judgement. I really like this game, even with its numerous flaws the game has more than enough good elements to help me overlook its few problems, and most of its obvious flaws are not really deal breakers like the bugs in ACIII. I feel The Last Story is basically Sakaguchi's take on where to take the genre and while it's not going to be universally accepted, I feel he presents an interesting idea and I am totally down with a sequel that will refine these ideas. The game mixes several genres, including Action RPG, Stealth, FPS, and borrows a few RTS elements. The core idea of the battle system isn't so much the special Gathering Ability, but actually using your environment to your advantage which Gathering helps you do. If you're not using Gathering to draw opponents away from mages, or drawing them into magic circle spell traps, then you are sniping enemies with your crossbow from behind cover, having your mages blow up pillars to damage the enemy as it lands on them, or blowing up the ledges and bridges they use for footing, or you can hide behind objects and use your crossbow to draw enemy guards away and sneak attack them one by one. There are multiple ways to approach the battles and even the boss fights get special treatment because I have fought a dozen of them so far and only one of them was a typical straight up "hit me until my HP=0 boss" the rest have involved special commands (think Kingdom Hearts II's Reaction commands) or special strategies just to make them vulnerable. The gameplay is largely solid if a bit easy, the world is also really well developed and I it leaves you wanting to learn more. The cast and story have also been really good, with some really powerful scenes brought to life with Nobuo Uematsu's music. The major flaws of the game come from some poor animations spread across the game that sort of prevents you from being too immersed at times, a narrator that is useless and has awful writing for hit dialogue, as well as some really cringe worthy writing from time to time, usually when the game decides to read verbatim from the Big Book of RPG Cliches. I find it surprising that meeting Calista garners one of the most cringe worthy, forced scenes in the game, but the farewell scene of the meeting sequence is one of the most moving and powerful scenes I've seen in an RPG for a long time. This is kind of the games problem from a story perspective, it is mostly good but occasionally a really bad scene appears with awful writing, the plot is mostly good even if it stumbles more than I would care for. It's been a fantastic game otherwise.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - In this whole console generation, everyone has been trying to redefine the JRPG with their own twist, Kitase and Toriyama's rail shooter cinematic RPG FFXIII, Sega's third person shooter mixed SRPG Valkyrie Chronicles, and From Software's Demon's Souls to name a few. Xenoblade pretty much picks up where a game from last generation (FFXII) left off and goes forward with it. It's major focus was updating old fashioned RPG conventions (NPC, Sidequests, world/city design) while moving forward with some of the better ideas used to keep the aging genre relevant for a new generation. The game's world design and approach to making it feel alive is just amazing. The game's focus on actual gameplay makes it a joy to play as you're rewarded for trying new things and actually just exploring and fighting in the world. The story and premise are quite original and I feel the Heart-To-Hearts were an excellent game mechanic that helped flesh out the cast. The battle system is also pretty top notch and I love how each character even plays uniquely from one another. It has some good customization as well. I will echo its one flaw is that there are too many sidequests and most of them feel a bit samey, this is especially jarring for me now cause The Last Story actually implements these a little better with some gameplay variety but other than that Xenoblade is easily the best JRPH this console generation for me.

Pike
12-29-2012, 01:47 AM
I think I might have to switch my GOTY from XCOM over to Crusader Kings 2, only because XCOM crashes for me every five minutes and I can hardly play it. Meanwhile I've dumped like a hundred hours into CK2 so far. Love that game.

Aulayna
12-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Controversial one here but... Diablo 3.

NinjaCoachZ
12-29-2012, 03:45 AM
Kid Icarus: Uprising for me. One of the most comprehensive, satisfying, and pure fun handheld gaming experiences I've ever had.

Bolivar
12-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Damn I thought I was controversial bringing it in at number 8, but I think you might want to seriously run and hide for cover for that one.

Wolf Kanno
12-31-2012, 07:00 PM
The further I get into The Last Story, the more I feel like it may actually deserve the top spot for me. Xenoblade may have a more well rounded and polished design, but I can't help but feel that The Last Story sort of invokes the feel of a JRPG more. It's gameplay is also just so damn good that I haven't actually been bothered by the game's mediocre difficulty.

I also feel that people kind of missed the point of the game's story and characters, it's often criticized for dabbling too much into overused RPG cliches but overall I feel the game's plot is a deconstruction and "take that!" to the genres cliches more than a serious attempt at using these tropes. I mean Zael may be an overly idealistic goody two shoe who acts through his heart more than his head, but he also happens to live in a world that is closer to the grim, morally gray worlds of FFTactics and Suikoden where most political figures have no problem exploiting people for their own gain and every one has an ulterior motive. So it's been very interesting watching Zael's ideals be twisted and turned around by the world he lives in. He's trying his best to do what's right and in turn he's actually getting farther and farther from his goals by doing so.

Quindiana Jones
12-31-2012, 09:45 PM
So, whilst visiting the family for Christmas, I blitzed through Far Cry 3 in two overnight playthroughs. Damned impressive, that game. It's easily joint first with AC2 for my Favourite Ubisoft Game That I Can Remember At The Time. Highlight of the game? Setting up a giant takedown chain, using every available manoeuvre bar the From Below takedowns. Killed about a dozen guys in next to no time. Near the end of the game, there is a scene in which Jason has a rage blackout and annihilates a large group of privateers. It's supposed to be this impressive testament to what a monster he is becoming. I wasn't too impressed, however, because I had already been that rage blackout.

You've got to hand it to Ubisoft; they have a knack for creating beautifully fluid and almost repulsively visceral combat that sets my loins a-jangling like I don't know what. :love:

Bolivar
01-01-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm incredibly relieved and overjoyed for you to hear that. The game's $38 on Steam right now, but I think I'm gonna hold off. If it's a solid 20, I'll get it.

Aulayna
01-01-2013, 01:46 AM

Damn I thought I was controversial bringing it in at number 8, but I think you might want to seriously run and hide for cover for that one.

I think it's just the cool thing to do on the Internet to hate on Diablo 3 - it had problems yes (some of which got blown massively out of proportion) but overall it was a decent game. Sure the connection issues at the start were pretty troutty but once everything was up and running I really enjoyed it and it's been a regular go to game with some of my friends when we fancy doing some co-op demon slaying and always results in some good laughs. It's not without it's flaws for sure but Blizzard are one of the few companies that continually invest into their titles even after they've hit retail shelves.

It's also one of the few games that I've ever bothered sitting through and doing the repeat playthroughs on harder difficulties and completing Inferno before it got nerfed without using any cheese builds is one of my biggest gaming accomplishments.

The only other things that rival it for me are Borderlands 2 and XCOM as joint 2nd.

This time last year I would've said Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 would've been the top of my pickings but GW2 was a massive let down for me and I just get disappointed when I think of all the unused and wasted potential in that game.

My top 10 would be something like:

1 - Diablo 3
2 - Borderlands 2
3 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
4 - The Secret World
5 - Final Fantasy XIII-2
6 - Assassin's Creed III
7 - SSX (would be higher if Mount Eddie was in at launch and the stupid Deadly Descents thing didn't exist at all)
8 - Dishonored
9 - Torchlight II
10 - Halo 4

I would put World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria on there but didn't rank it on the list as it's an expansion pack.