PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Levels?

Klarkus
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi i'm new to these forums kinda (was a member yeaaarrss ago).

I've just started playing FF7 properly for the first time. I was never really into it when I was a kid I just never got around to playing it. I have only ever completed FF8 which was awesome.

Anyway I am around Level 20 and i've just escaped the shinra building and reached kalm. I am just wondering is it wise to run around the world map for awhile to level up as much as possible or just go with the flow? I've managed to level clouds limit breaks to level 3.

Absolutely loving the game. Now I know why most people favour this one over all others.

Gamblet
12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Grinding levels do not really matter in this game, it is all about the materia. I would advise you to go with the flow.

Formalhaut
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Level Twenty at Kalm? That's levelled!

I agree with Gamblet, levels doesn't really matter sooo much in this game, though naturally much more than VIII. I'd suggest going with the flow until after your first golden saucer visit and breaking out of Corel prison. After that, head back to Junon and do the ol' alarm trick and level to your heart's desire for awhile. Also a good spot to gain AP on materia.

Innes
12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Final Fantasy 7 - Second leveling area - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyQMW82lLOg)

Elly
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
the area between the Chocobo Farm and the swamp (just past Kalm) is a good place to grind for a little while before continuing, but lvl.20's about all you need to take on the Zolom in the swamp and learn its E-Skill...

Formalhaut
12-05-2012, 08:51 PM
While were with videos, my one was with the Junon alarms was:

FFVII - Junon Alarm Fast Exp Trick - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jraXR2z2YdA)

Klarkus
12-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow great and quick replies thanks guys I will check them out :)

I have got E-Skill but its not lit up to use?

Elly
12-05-2012, 11:51 PM
you equip the E-Skill Materia and when an enemy uses certain skills against the character with it equiped the Materia will learn that skill, then itll have that nice yellow glow...

Klarkus
12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Going back to the Junon grinding. I've just left Junon and gone to costa de sol. Can I go back to Junon later to that part and level up?

Formalhaut
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
You certainly can, with the buggy you can drive *into* Costa Del Sol, speak to the sailor and you will stowaway again back to the Eastern Continent. Very handy for Junon Alarm grinding, and also for getting the Mythril which is required for Aerith's level four limit break.

James_Cub
12-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I've just started properly playing it again too. I'm at the Temple of Ancients part and my characters are around level 35/40, I've been able to get Cosmo Memory, All Creation and Great Gospel. Everyone else already has their level 3 limits. Should I grind or does it really matter?

Gamblet
12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I've just started properly playing it again too. I'm at the Temple of Ancients part and my characters are around level 35/40, I've been able to get Cosmo Memory, All Creation and Great Gospel. Everyone else already has their level 3 limits. Should I grind or does it really matter?

No, lvl 35 is way too high I think.

Elly
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
if youre 1 hit killing everything you run into youve powerleveled as far as you need to, thats the best gauge of when you may have been grinding a bit too long, but then again im the person that doesnt leave Midgar or cross the swamp till im lvl.20...
in my current playthrough Cloud is lvl.34 and just got the buggy and left Corel Prison, so lvl.35 seems severly gimped at the Temple of the Ancients to me...

James_Cub
12-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks Elly, I don't one hit kill everything, just some things. I grinded a bit in Mt. Corel to get everyone to their lvl 3 limits, because in my experience enemies always came in groups of 3 or 5 and i was able to 1 hit kill them with Matra Magic. Anyways, thanks for the help guys, I guess I won't worry about it for a while. I do have another question though, I will want to max all my materias at some point, does anyone have any suggestions on where to find enemies that give good amounts of AP. The headhunters in Mideel seem like a good choice, but do you of any others further down the line?
Cheers and thanks for everything

Jiro
12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Nah you're spot on for being tough enough for the battles to be easy, if that makes sense.

Gamblet
12-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Don't worry about maxing your materia at this point, the best AP comes from the last dungeon (or whatever it is called).

Elly
12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
the last dungeon is the Northern Crater and with Triple growth equipment on the Materia will grow like crazy there, but id suggest for a little boost till then to use any double or triple growth equipment you get your hands on until the next set of better equips come along... also farm the Sunken Gelnika for sources to boost all the characters stats, have your 2x or 3x growth equips on when you do that and youll effectivly kill 2 birds with one stone...

James_Cub
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
also farm the Sunken Gelnika for sources to boost all the characters stats, have your 2x or 3x growth equips on when you do that and youll effectivly kill 2 birds with one stone...

Thanks Elly, Ill definitely do that. Do you mean to say that some monsters on the Gelnika actually drop sources? I'm begining to think this game is easier battlewise than i originally thought

Gamblet
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm begining to think this game is easier battlewise than i originally thought

Yes, it is easily breakable.

Elly
12-17-2012, 02:43 AM
no they dont drop the sources, you have to morph the monsters there into the various sources, its easiest if you equip Yuffie with the Morph Materia, as she has the best chances of success with it... just bash them to low HP then morph...

Jinx
12-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Where is the fun in overleveling this much?

Elly
12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
some like to walk in whip ass and walk out, others wanna struggle, depends if youre a sadist or masochist... just kidding on that last part, as i love Izuna (a Rougelike) and if you die in a dungeon on that game you lose everything yet i powerlevel like a beast on RPGs... its just more fun to some people to feel like their party is the all powerful evil destroying team in all their world, what good is a warrior of destiny if shes bleeding all over the place from a scratch, filthy fiends shouldnt be able to lay a claw on her, lol...

James_Cub
12-17-2012, 07:18 PM
its just more fun to some people to feel like their party is the all powerful evil destroying team in all their world, what good is a warrior of destiny if shes bleeding all over the place from a scratch, filthy fiends shouldnt be able to lay a claw on her, lol...

i agree with elly to a certain point boobs. i overleveled in x and ultima and omega weapons were a piece of cake and a few of the dark aeons too, but then i got to dark anima and bahamut and i couldnt tackle them. i like to level enough to be able to take on the megabosses but still curse at them from time to time, i think thats the fun of it. regular enemies, for sure, just wipe them out