PDA

View Full Version : Auron's fault?

noshowmillk
12-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Some people straight up hate Tidus, because he tends to be annoying from time to time. But is it possible that Auron is responsible for this behaviour. He seems to have a big influence on him as he convinced Tidus to fight Sin with a sword, with little to no experience at all, and have him believe that FFX was "his story" (quote from Auron himself as they are sucked away from Zanarkand). It seems like a possibility to me, and I want to know what you think.

Night Fury
12-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't think it's Auron's 'fault'

Auron saved his life. I think his behaviour ultimately comes down to it being Jecht's fault.

noshowmillk
12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree. It does seem to be Jecht's fault in most aspects. What I'm trying to say is that Auron is part of the reason for his behaviour throughout the game.

Edit: not saying he is but he may be

kotora
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd say it's the fault of people's expectations of what an RPG protagonist should be like

Night Fury
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I agree. It does seem to be Jecht's fault in most aspects. What I'm trying to say is that Auron is part of the reason for his behaviour throughout the game.

Edit: not saying he is but he may be

I don't know, I always liked Auron because he was such a bad ass, even though at first my 13 year old self hated him for being a grumpy ass. He gets everyone to where the need to be for the end of the game.

I think of all the characters he has the most to him. I loved the twist at the end of the game that he was dead. Not really a twist, but I liked it.

I think Tidus was how he was because that's just how he was. He coped with things in a brattish way because in Zanarkand he was this big hero of sports, but in Spira he's nobody, he has to prove himself and he probably never had to be mature before.

Goldenboko
12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I'd say it's the fault of people's expectations of what an RPG protagonist should be like

This is true, in a favorable way for Tidus. People hate on Tidus because they're analyzing his character independently of the story. Within context, Tidus is an excellent character. He's a head-strong Blitzer with some unresolved issues that's suddenly transported what he thinks is a thousand years into the future, where everything he knows and loves is gone. His entire reality is destroyed. Then people complain that he's "whiny", when most people would just give up and quit in that situation.

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-08-2012, 03:25 AM

This is true, in a favorable way for Tidus. People hate on Tidus because they're analyzing his character independently of the story. Within context, Tidus is an excellent character. He's a head-strong Blitzer with some unresolved issues that's suddenly transported what he thinks is a thousand years into the future, where everything he knows and loves is gone. His entire reality is destroyed. Then people complain that he's "whiny", when most people would just give up and quit in that situation.

/cosign

Jiro
12-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Throwing my lot in with Goldenboko too.

As for the actual question, I'd say Auron has an impact on Tidus, for sure. You notice that Tidus says "This is my story" during the game and is met with a bit of a frosty response; he doesn't realise that it's not just about him, which is a stark difference from his celebrity life in Zanarkand. But Auron, being that sagely bastard that he is, allows Tidus to become arrogant, and the fact Auron is a big deal in Spira doesn't help either.

NeoCracker
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM

The only real expectation I have now adays is 'Not a twat'.

Pete for President
12-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Throwing my lot in with Goldenboko too.

As for the actual question, I'd say Auron has an impact on Tidus, for sure. You notice that Tidus says "This is my story" during the game and is met with a bit of a frosty response; he doesn't realise that it's not just about him, which is a stark difference from his celebrity life in Zanarkand. But Auron, being that sagely bastard that he is, allows Tidus to become arrogant, and the fact Auron is a big deal in Spira doesn't help either.

But Auron knows that Tidus being arrogant is the least that matters in the whole plan. Sin needs to be destroyed no matter what, and arrogance is somewhat related to confidence.

As for the main question; no, it's not Auron's fault. Joining in with Goldenboko's quotes, there is nothing 'faulty' about Tidus (side the laugh scene, but enough of that).

Jiro
12-11-2012, 01:44 AM
But Auron knows that Tidus being arrogant is the least that matters in the whole plan. Sin needs to be destroyed no matter what, and arrogance is somewhat related to confidence.

I should've been clearer. Auron's not deliberately trying to build him up. It's just how Tidus interprets it because Auron is a wise man and whose words should be listened to. It's like, if you met a guy in the street and he gave you some advice and then he got mobbed by paparazzi before escaping in a limo, you'd probably pay more attention to what he said. I guess xD

Pete for President
12-11-2012, 10:31 AM

I should've been clearer. Auron's not deliberately trying to build him up. It's just how Tidus interprets it because Auron is a wise man and whose words should be listened to. It's like, if you met a guy in the street and he gave you some advice and then he got mobbed by paparazzi before escaping in a limo, you'd probably pay more attention to what he said. I guess xD

Ah, point taken. Auron has been sort of his mentor-ish figure in Dream Zanarkand, after all.

Skyblade
12-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Yeah, and I do think it's rather a misinterpretation.

Auron's line: "This is it. This is your story. It all begins here."

Tidus interprets it to mean that it's all about him. The way I take it, it's kind of the opposite.

Everything Tidus has done before, everything that led up to this, that's nothing. Here's where stuff gets real. It's like Agent K's line to Agent J in the original Men In Black movie: "Let me tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely dick."

Jinx
12-14-2012, 04:12 PM
It could very simply mean, "Your life is about to start now."