PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to a Star Ocean Sequel?

Freya
12-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Square Enix loves their countdowns. Recently a new one (http://liftoff.square-enix.co.jp/)popped up. Full of space and tweets.

Two planets floating in space with a sun looking down on us, we are presented with a countdown. Earlier in the day the only word on the screen was "STAR". Now to join it is "DIVIDE." In the small text below the countdown it reads "Universal Accel Cosmic Drive". Tweets are then appearing when people mention anything about the site. So what is this all about?

Most fans are jumping straight to the conclusion of a new Star Ocean game. Star Ocean was a popular series that many final fantasy fans branched out to, to fill their minds with space and adventure. It was definitely one of the influential game series that caused many fans to truly sink into the RPG fandom.

Most fans did jump to this conclusion that the countdown would be from their beloved series but over at Siliconera, they discovered (http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/06/new-square-enix-teaser-site-is-probably-for-star-galaxy/)actual evidence of the sort. They found something called "Star Galaxy" has been trademarked by Square Enix. Could the name galaxy lead one to believe that it is to be a large immersive MMO? We'll find out in 4 days!

So are we about to hear about a new Star Ocean game called Star Galaxy? Or is it something else entirely? What do you think! Are you excited for a possible new entry to the Star Ocean series? Doesn't that countdown look pretty?

Del Murder
12-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Never played the Star Ocean series. Is it fun?

Freya
12-08-2012, 04:01 AM
If you're an RPG fan, you'll like them! A lot of people weren't fans of the later entries but definitely give them a go if you ever have the chance.

Del Murder
12-08-2012, 04:44 AM
RPGs...meh don't like those much. ;)

Mirage
12-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Whoever thinks it is a Star Ocean MMO needs to get their feet back on the ground.

Firstly, there aren't enough fans. Secondly, the combat system in Star Ocean games is one of the things that a lot of the fans enjoy, and it simply wouldn't work well in an MMO. Thirdly, there's no way SE could afford to develop another MMO at this time, considering they're running FF11, developing a Dragon Quest MMO, and re-making FF14.

I think it's just another space-RPG. Perhaps they felt like they needed a new IP after they ruined SO's reputation with SO4. Perhaps it is even developed by the same guys that made Star Ocean, just in a different, but similar universe. That would sort out problems with continuity between the exiting Star Ocean games.

Dr. rydrum2112
12-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Update: "WAR" now appears between star and divide, and it looks like there is room for another word above War.

Hollycat
12-08-2012, 05:25 AM
If you're an RPG fan, you'll like them! A lot of people weren't fans of the later entries but definitely give them a go if you ever have the chance.
Lies. Twas a horrible game I played.

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2012, 05:51 AM
RPGs...meh don't like those much. ;)

Star Ocean 1 was pretty interesting for its time, Star Ocean 2 is considered to be the most popular and it's a pretty good game despite some problems, Star Ocean 3 killed the fanbase despite having some great gameplay, and Star Ocean 4 buried what most people thought was any chance for the series to ever be green lighted for a new entry.

If you like action RPGs or need a Tales fix between their six month installments for new entries, then you can't really go wrong with Star Ocean. Traditionally the gameplay is usually solid as an Action RPG series but the plots tend be fairly weak.

Jiro
12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
The Star Ocean series is fantastic and I won't hear any naysaying. I'm super excited about this because even if it isn't Star Ocean, it's a space game and that's awesome!

Roogle
12-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Star Ocean 1 was pretty interesting for its time, Star Ocean 2 is considered to be the most popular and it's a pretty good game despite some problems, Star Ocean 3 killed the fanbase despite having some great gameplay, and Star Ocean 4 buried what most people thought was any chance for the series to ever be green lighted for a new entry.

I agree with your assessment, Wolf Kanno. I lost interest in the series after I discovered the actual plot of Star Ocean 3 as I could no longer empathize with the protagonists or their stories. I am not a fan of the remade Star Ocean 2, either, because the new character designs look very cliche. Rena used to hold a sword in her old concept art and looked like an independent female lead; now she looks like a very young girl that needs to be handheld through the game.

maybee
12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't think it's going to be a Star Ocean game. It's most likely going to be some space like cell-phone game or Internet game.

Dignified Pauper
12-08-2012, 01:18 PM
The first two are the only ones worth their salt.

Mirage
12-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Ignoring of course that the third has a superior battle system with more depth than just about every other RPG ever made.

Jowy
12-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Star Ocean 1 and 2 are awesome. Star Ocean 3 is GOAT until you enter the fourth dimension and then really what's the point why am I still playing this game, fuck you Square-Enix.

Star Ocean 4 is an abomination.

Edge7
12-09-2012, 05:03 AM
I own Star Ocean 2 for the Playstation. It's just too slow to get me invested.

Faris
12-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I haven't played the first two, but what's with the 3&4 hate :confused: I quite enjoyed them.

Mirage
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
People hate 3 because they don't recognize good gameplay. People hate 4 because it's a downgrade from 3.

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I haven't played the first two, but what's with the 3&4 hate :confused: I quite enjoyed them.

The plots are what mostly kill both games for people. The 4D plot twist pretty much killed a lot of people's interest in the series, and retroactively made the earlier games cheesy. SO4 starts with a decent premise but goes to weirdness quickly and it's cast is pretty atrocious compared to earlier installments. Like the writers were going out of their way to hit every single overused anime archetype which many Western gamers are sick of seeing.

Star Ocean has always been the series that shows that while good gameplay can keep you from being forgotten, it can't save a game where all the other elements are bad.

ShinGundam
12-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I like world of 2 because it is CG and very detailed but 3 and 4 are way more fun games overall than 1 and 2, Battles in 1 and 2 don't feel like action-y at all.

Jowy
12-10-2012, 12:13 AM
People hate 3 because they don't recognize good gameplay. People hate 4 because it's a downgrade from 3.

I loved the gameplay in SO3. A LOT. It was that ridiculous plot twist at the end that ruined it for me.

Mirage
12-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Why was it ridiculous?

Jowy
12-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Deception, namely. Finding out that the entire universe is just part of an MMORPG played by people in another dimension really just ruined my motivation to want to finish the game when the universe is just going to get deleted anyway. We were all just insignificant bits of data on a server somewhere!

maybee
12-10-2012, 02:44 AM
I have a strong feeling that it's going to be a western like space shooter and not to with Star Ocean or JRPG games at all.

Or a space like ios game or online game.

Mirage
12-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Deception, namely. Finding out that the entire universe is just part of an MMORPG played by people in another dimension really just ruined my motivation to want to finish the game when the universe is just going to get deleted anyway. We were all just insignificant bits of data on a server somewhere!

Yeah, it's kind of like how we're insignificant collections of atoms on a planet somehere!

If you continued playing though, you'll find out that the entire "game" ended up some sort of sub-physical dimension that was no longer bound by the computers it initially ran on.

I think people who suddenly thought everything became insignificant after that revelation kind of missed the point.

Jowy
12-10-2012, 03:11 AM
I did beat the game. With tenacity at that! The power went out when I went through the Shrine of Kaddan and I was knocked all the way back to effin' Flagship Diplo since I did not save responsibly and got really overconfident with AIMING DEVICE steamrolling everything in my path. Then the PS2 broke and I had to borrow my friend's to get through the last two dungeons.

I see the existential point of view you have; I just wasn't expecting the game to end that way! It reminded me too much of what Xenogears did once they went past their deadline.

Mirage
12-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Well it caught me off guard, and it was a bit sudden, perhaps. I still don't feel like it made the game feel pointless, or took anything away from how awesomely fun it is to play.

Jowy
12-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Every single encounter in that game was an absolute blast. Perhaps a SHOTGUN BLAST.

Lamia
12-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Star Ocean 3 is an amazing game. One of my favorite games ever. I was a diehard SO2 fan when it came out too... but 3 surpassed 2 for me.

SO4 on the other hand... I really didn't think it was possible for me to hate a SO game... but yeah, 4 was a major disappointment for me..

Roogle
12-11-2012, 08:07 AM
If you continued playing though, you'll find out that the entire "game" ended up some sort of sub-physical dimension that was no longer bound by the computers it initially ran on.

I think people who suddenly thought everything became insignificant after that revelation kind of missed the point.

I understand that the universe became completely independent, but it is implied that the threats encountered on Roak in the first Star Ocean game and the Ten Wise Men were just part of game events or something like that. I don't know. I'm not completely sure about it, but it still bothers me. The only concept that I liked about the fourth dimension was that the character Elena on Elicoor II was implied to be a fourth dimensional being trapped in the game, but this type of plotline could have been explored using other technologies.

I have to wonder how much of it was planned as Eternal Sphere was the ultimate weapon of Claude in the second Star Ocean game, well before the Eternal Sphere plot point in Star Ocean 3.

Freya
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
OH GOD LOOK AT ALL THE WORDS.What could it be! What's Bandiera mean o.o

Mirage
12-11-2012, 04:44 PM
It's a sort of a banner or flag, or something.

Every single encounter in that game was an absolute blast. Perhaps a SHOTGUN BLAST.

More like an ENERGY BURST of excitement.

Mirage
12-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Aaaand... It's a browser based strategy game. Thanks for nothing, SE.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 03:37 AM
Tweets are suggesting extreme disappointment too. Square Enix really needs to learn not to use teaser sites for news like this and a TWEWY port. :(

Freya
12-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Oh man I'm pissed. Such a cool teaser site for that? Wth

I'm so over browser based games. And iOS games. It's a card based MMO space sim for browsers.

Bunny
12-12-2012, 05:42 AM
I cannot explain how delighted I am that this news is so disappointing to everyone. Thanks again for another home run, Squarenix!

maybee
12-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Why do they do this ? Do they really dislike their fans that badly ? :|

Elly
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
what makes them think ppl want browser based games? i cant believe theyre using teaser sites so recklessly after the iOS-TWEWY backlash... its just a false buildup, get peoples hopes up then spit in their faces... save the teaser site countdown thingies for real game announcements, not some browser drivel... the internet belongs in my browser, not my games, for games i want the fullscreen experience, not have it all windowed by browser bars and frames...

Del Murder
12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
'Wolf', cried Square Enix.

Red Mage Coffman
12-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I came. I would play it if it was a game. Not an MMO though. It'd be boring.

black orb
12-24-2012, 04:15 AM
>>> Star Ocean again? :eep:.. To hell with it, Resonance of Fate is the future..:luca:

Mirage
12-24-2012, 08:34 AM
It has been a while since this was confirmed to not be Star Ocean now, btw.

black orb
12-24-2012, 07:52 PM
It has been a while since this was confirmed to not be Star Ocean now, btw.
>>> Pay no mind to all of my stupid posts from yesterday. I was drunk..:luca:

Faris
01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
After reading through this: What? Jeeeze :(

I'm so over browser based games. And iOS games.
So am I. I completely understand why they make browser and iOS games but stick to the console for the most part plzkthx. I'm not paying for a PSP or DS for no reason.

Roogle
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I read up about the basics of the game and I am completely disinterested in it. I wonder why they tried to make this teaser site to build up anticipation for a game that most will not be able or want to play?

Mirage
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Because they have lost touch with their customer base.

chionos
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Were they ever in touch?

Cecil Leonhart
03-13-2013, 06:57 AM
This is why I don't even pay attention to their countdowns anymore. Way too many letdowns. Every time they do one everyone starts pissing their pants that it's something Chrono or Star Ocean or something and it always ends up being a card game or some mobile thing. :cry:

Mercen-X
03-18-2013, 06:48 PM
I came..

o_O

TrollHunter
03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Meh, oh well. Star ocean games always bore me with how godawfully repetitive they are. 3 and 4 are the only ones that held my interest for any length of time. 2 just... Ugh it was just so damn tedious.