PDA

View Full Version : Article: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - First Thoughts

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-08-2012, 10:41 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy_Logo.png

I bought Theatrhythm Final Fantasy from my local GameStop a few hours ago! I just played it for about an hour or so, so I thought I would give you all my first thoughts on the game, as well as some facts about it for the uninitiated. For those who aren't in the know, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is a game that was released for the Nintendo 3DS handheld game system in Japan in February 2012, followed by releases in North America, Australia, and Europe in July 2012. As the title of the game would suggest by the words theater and rhythm, this is a music-themed game. Much like Dissidia Final Fantasy, the story lets you play as the main characters from the 1st Final Fantasy all the way to the 13th, and has a focus on the gods Cosmos and Chaos. The "space between the gods", if you will, is called Rhythm. Rhythm is the home of a crystal which controls music. I believe this is where the plot of the game resides!

You play through songs and earn "Rhythmia", which I believe is the crystals power, and in doing so you return some light to the crystal. I assume that when you beat the game the crystal is restored and order is returned to the universe, as these things tend to go. Now for the gameplay details! While music has always been a huge part of the Final Fantasy series, this is the first title in the series where music is the main focus. You can control 4 of the 13 main characters at any given time, and the "story mode" of the game allows you to play 5 songs from the Final Fantasy of your choosing out of the main 13 games. For each Final Fantasy, you are given the chance to play the games intro, the games ending theme, and 3 popular songs from the title you chose to play. As for myself, the first games music I chose to play through was Final Fantasy 8, which contained one of my favorite tunes The Man with the Machine Gun! By the way, if you haven't yet, go check out Psychotic's article on this piece ;) [Link] (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2123-top-10-ff-character-themes-3-laguna.html)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/tumblr_m1agbpVC3c1qzpbds.jpg

Instead of the traditional turn based battle system that we're used to, we get to experience gameplay very similar to that of a Guitar Hero game. As seen in the picture above, which shows the top screen of the 3DS, there are icons that move from the left to the right side of the screen. Your job is to hit the bottom screen of the 3DS with your stylus just as the moving icons hit the circles right in front of your playable characters. Believe it or not, you can tap the bottom screen anywhere you want. The only thing that matters on your part is tapping and sliding the stylus at the right time, not where the stylus is located on the bottom screen. Correctly inputting the command will count as a hit on the enemy at the opposite side of the screen from your characters, usually a recognizable face (Popular enemy adamantoise pictured above). There is also a time bar at the bottom of the screen which tells you how long you have until the song ends.

From what I can tell, there is a standard mode and a hard mode for more experienced players. The game hints at a possible hidden mode, unless i'm interpreting it wrong! Another great thing about this game is you get to level up your characters and equip items. I believe getting a raise in Hit Points allows you to make more errors before the game over screen comes up, and wearing stronger items allows the same, just to give examples.

Beyond the standard "left to right" gameplay, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy also allows you to tap your way through some of the cutscenes in your favorite Final Fantasy games. In this scenario, the icons you have to hit zig zag all over the screen. Again, this should not be difficult as long as you're tapping and sliding your stylus at the right time. You also have an option to extend the cutscene for a longer duration if you get a high succession of correct notes!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-set-for-summer-2012-us-release.jpg

Something that's worth pointing out is that nostalgia comes over you like a wave of glorious childhood memories when you play this game. I found myself getting emotional and thinking back to my younger days playing Final Fantasy after school and on weekends whenever I hear these old songs and watch some of my favorite cutscenes. Being able to actually interact with these songs takes it up to a whole new level! I find this game to be very addicting. It has a nice "pick up and go" feel to it. Don't worry about having trouble figuring out how to play it, because the in-game tutorial is there for you every step of the way. There are around 80 songs to choose from, but from what I've read you also have the option of purchasing DLC songs to increase your playable song catalog, if you feel so inclined. Don't want to spend the extra money? Don't worry. It appears this game has its fair share of characters and songs to unlock just by doing certain tasks in-game. (I see Locke in the video below!). I can tell this is a game that I'll be playing for a long time to come. If you haven't tried it out yet, I encourage you to do so. The wave of nostalgia combined with the fun gameplay makes this a must have for long time Final Fantasy fans, in my personal opinion.

So that's my reaction of this game so far! I'm sure I've left some things out, but keep in mind that I'm only an hour or so into it. I'm sure there is plenty more fun times to be had in the future with this title. If you feel there's anything I should have pointed out, or if you enjoy this game like me and want to share your thoughts on it, let your fellow readers and I hear about it in the comment section! Thanks for reading! I'll leave you with some gameplay footage :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPkYnKJ59Wo

Psychotic
12-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I wasn't even sure what Theatrhythm was so this has really cleared it up. I agree, the nostalgia of FF music can always help your mind drift away. I'm also a sucker for these sections in games... I spent entirely too long in Atlantica on KHII to be healthy.

Shauna
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Elite Beat Agents with FF music. It is glorious.

Mr Shauna and I picked it up when I brought the 3DS for a journey and forgot to actually grab a game for it. xD We have now spent too many hours playing this game. But no regrets, the music is beautiful and it's a fun way to play.

There is a third mode, ultimate mode which is pretty intense. Extra unlockable songs and 52 DLC songs which means that it will never end. xD Also there are like 13 unlockable characters which will take forever to get. I never get bored though, I love this kind of game. :D

Freya
12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Eeee I'm getting this for christmas so I'm super excited :3

Formalhaut
12-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I really love this game; I've had it now for since I got my 3DS for my birthday in February and I am very happy with it. The game took the best bit about FF, and just made it way way fun. I agree with Shauna, Ultimate Mode is intense, but you do get better at it and the game overall is just immense.

Faris
12-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Love this game, but my forearm and wrist does not. The streetpass feature is nifty too. I put in waaaaayyyy too much time in this in such a short span that it can't be healthy.

Formalhaut
12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I've owned the game for months, and I've never used the streetpass feature because no one else around me really owns a 3DS, let alone Theatrhythm!

I think the worst part about playing it though is when you need to scratch an itch halfway through. It is incredibly irritating!

Shauna
12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I sneezed while doing one of the Chaos Shrine levels. All the bad times. xD

Formalhaut
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
What's everyone's favourite songs?

Faris
12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
^ To play it's got to be Mambo de Chocobo. Probably because it kept popping up in Chaos Shrine

Speaking of Chaos Shrine, oh dear got moving arrows. D=

I've owned the game for months, and I've never used the streetpass feature because no one else around me really owns a 3DS, let alone Theatrhythm!

You'd be surprised! I certainly was when I got 6 on Theatrhythm (since I bought in September) and 13 on Mii (I only turned that one on two weeks ago)

Formalhaut
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
You must be around other people then. I'm quite singular in my friendship group of my love for Final Fantasy, I'm afraid.

As for me, I really concur with Mambo De Chocobo, though I'm quite partial to Judgement Day, Movement in Green DLC and Ronfaure. Though seriously, the Castle DLC from VIII can just smurf off. It's just torture....

So can too are the rotating arrows. I fear them. I hate playing anything from movement 90 upwards...

Faris
12-11-2012, 04:36 AM
You must be around other people then. I'm quite singular in my friendship group of my love for Final Fantasy, I'm afraid.
Oh, I'm very antisocial around here :p I just take my DS with me where ever I go. I'll collect street passes from random people on the bus or just going by a video game store.

So can too are the rotating arrows. I fear them. I hate playing anything from movement 90 upwards...
I stopped playing at that bit because I thought I was losing my mind xD

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-11-2012, 05:55 AM
FARIS! You have a 3DS and didn't tell me? T_T

The game is quite fun, and it is really fun to play while taking the transit to work...except for the vibrations. :/

I get raped by Chaos Notes. :(

Formalhaut
12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Faris has a 3DS? We must exchange friend codes? I'm all by my lonesome on my 3DS :(

As for Chaos Notes, I do ok in them, usually getting at least an A for the higher movements, until movement 90. Past that, it's anyone's guess. The once relatively easy FMS because murder once you hit the breakneck speed and rotating arrows...

Shauna
12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
We should all exchange codes!

Formalhaut
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I do believe that the Games Console code thread is terribly underused and unloved! I've posted my 3DS code in that thread, as of yet, no-one else has replied or anything so... yeah...find it there?

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-13-2012, 05:34 AM
It is, I forgot to add my 3DS code to it. FYI, I added the both of you...

Also, Ashley please share you 3DS friend code, or I will go to your house and steal your kitty.

Flaming Ice
12-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Maybe if it goes on sale boxing day I'll get it but games where you need your wrist for something don't work too well for me :cry:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-14-2012, 09:23 AM
What's everyone's favourite songs?

The other day I heard Jenova's theme on the game for the first time and I'm really enjoying that one :)

Faris
12-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Whoa, I missed all the abuse, thank you for "meh, I'll share this one in the friend code thread" moment today xD

FARIS! You have a 3DS and didn't tell me? T_T

The game is quite fun, and it is really fun to play while taking the transit to work...except for the vibrations. :/

I get raped by Chaos Notes. :(

You're right. I should have told you as it is your fault that I got one. MINE IS PURPLE TOO BTW :DD:

It is, I forgot to add my 3DS code to it. FYI, I added the both of you...

Also, Ashley please share you 3DS friend code, or I will go to your house and steal your kitty.

NO NOT RILEY THE THUMBY ONE!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Me after hitting the last few notes of a song on Ultimate difficulty.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/DELETE.gif

Del Murder
12-28-2012, 04:53 AM
Got this for Christmas. So far I'm liking it. I kind of wish the characters, levels and abilities were actually worth something. So far that whole side part seems pointless. The rhythm gameplay is fun but I wish there was more variety. Two of the modes are basically the same and the third only adds one element. I also think there should have been more songs and not make you buy them for a buck a piece. It turns me off from buying games with that type of business model.

My favorite song is Ronfaure. :) Beat it on Ultimate easily since I know it so well.

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Got this for Christmas. So far I'm liking it. I kind of wish the characters, levels and abilities were actually worth something. So far that whole side part seems pointless. The rhythm gameplay is fun but I wish there was more variety. Two of the modes are basically the same and the third only adds one element. I also think there should have been more songs and not make you buy them for a buck a piece. It turns me off from buying games with that type of business model.

My favorite song is Ronfaure. :) Beat it on Ultimate easily since I know it so well.

Character abilities do get more interesting once you start taking on dark notes, in the interests of fairness let me share with you guys this person's character usefulness guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/635802-theatrhythm-final-fantasy/63656656). It is quite interesting actually!

Shauna
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
The rhythm gameplay is fun but I wish there was more variety.

And such is the downfall of any rhythm game. They're all pretty repetitive and samey no matter what way you look at it. Press buttons/tap screen in time to music. Rinse and repeat until the end of the song.

Actually, giving it a bit of thought, Theatrhythm is slightly less samey than other games of this type (see: Elite Beat Agents, Osu!) due to its three different modes of gameplay. They may be negligible differences, but Elite Beat Agents was the exact same mode of gameplay for every song, so any sort of difference here is nice to see.

Freya
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
oh man this is fun! I also got it for chirstmas and I'm working my way through the series. I tried one dark note one and mambo de chocobo kicked my hiney!

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Just wait till you get to the dark notes with rotating arrows... *shudder*

~*~Celes~*~
12-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Playing Dark Note Fame's Passing! I love this game :D It may be simple as far as gameplay goes but some of the songs are pretty difficult!

Faris
12-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Reasons to drink or wonder if you need your eyes checked:

Formalhaut
12-30-2012, 03:23 AM

You do not need your eyes checking. When you reach Dark Note movements 90 to 99, yellow rotating notes begin appearing. You have to swipe wherever the arrow is pointing, but their on the move! It takes alot of getting used to. Seriously... not to mention during that upper echelon of Dark notes, the speed in which the notes appear is blinding!

Tigmafuzz
12-30-2012, 04:05 AM
So... addicting...

Faris
12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

You do not need your eyes checking. When you reach Dark Note movements 90 to 99, yellow rotating notes begin appearing. You have to swipe wherever the arrow is pointing, but their on the move! It takes alot of getting used to. Seriously... not to mention during that upper echelon of Dark notes, the speed in which the notes appear is blinding!

Yes, yes. It's just when they start appearing and insanely fast when you don't expect them eyes go: :freak: