PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda, BioWare, or Obsidian?

Laddy
12-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Who is best?

I'll create a list of pros/cons, and who I think is best in a bit. Until then, let us argue!

Futan
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Voted Bethesda. Bioware has sucked lately and I'm not really too familiar with Obsidian. If you asked around the time Dragon Age: Origins came out, would've said Bioware.

Psychotic
12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Has to be Obsidian. The writing and design talent they have is insane. I have a mancrush on Josh Sawyer.

Laddy
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Here's a summary of my opinions on each company

Bethesda
Titles: Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3
Strengths: Huge budgets, amazing at creating large and sprawling worlds, high production values in their games, consistent quality.
Weaknesses: Relatively light on satisfying RPG elements, unspectacular writing and stories for an RPG, lack of original franchises.

Bioware
Titles: Mass Effect, Dragon Age
Strengths: Good production values, excellent at cinematic presentation, competent to good writing, games are very polished.
Weaknesses: Declining quality, dumbing-down of RPG mechanics, last few games are either too simplistic and/or clearly sequels.

Obsidian
Titles: Fallout: New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2
Strengths: Very talented dev team, excellent writing and plots, has deepest RPG mechanics, more franchises and licenses.
Weaknesses: Lowest budgets, games severely lack polish, games make significantly less money.

Overall, Obsidian is my favorite. Fallout: New Vegas is the best RPG (and maybe even game) of the generation. A real masterpiece and landmark in the genre. They have the most talented development team of the three (Josh Sawyer is extremely underrated in the industry), the best writers in the industry, and seem to have the deepest and most rewarding RPG gameplay. Plus, they created a Kickstarter to make a deliberately old-school RPG for fans of the classics.

Bethesda is still good, but seriously lacks in the storytelling and writing department, plus their RPG elements are relatively simplistic. Bioware used to be amazing, but they've become cash cows now, selling out their franchises to cater to an increasingly formula-loving market. Plus, a lot of their more talented people are jumping ship.

EDIT: Josh Sawyer is seriously sexy as smurf. He sings, he acts, he loves cats, he plays chess, and he's the best RPG designer in the industry.

Shoeberto
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I think Laddy summed it up for me. Obsidian has knocked it out of the park on everything they've released in recent years in spite of tight budgets. Bethesda games are huge but shallow and EA has done a number on Bioware. Obsidian is just this little-studio-that-could, taking on all kinds of interesting projects and making them way more awesome than their premise would otherwise imply. Love 'em.

Laddy
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
And all is now right.

Pike
12-10-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm leaning towards Obsidian but to be honest RPGs aren't my genre forte the way they are for Laddy or some of you other guys. I'm also a sucker for Bethesda just because I like Elder Scrolls lore. xD

Laddy
12-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Elder Scrolls lore is indeed the best part of the series, and Tamriel is one of the best established worlds in gaming.

EDIT: Oh trout I have it. What would happen if Obsidian made an Elder Scrolls game? Good things would happen, that's what.

Aulayna
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
They're all equal.

Their flaws and strengths pretty much balance out.

Now if the 3 of the merged into one mega company and drank from the creative mojo juice fountain then... well... my mind is happy just thinking of the possibilities.

#copoutanswer

Bahamut2000X
12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Bioware would be on there, but DA2, ME3, and SWTOR, and it's become apparent any talent of theirs either quit or is being crushed by EA. So I can no longer consider them a good company, and considering how poorly they have done I in fact pretty well consider them quickly becoming one of the worst game developers of all time. So let this be a lesson to you kiddies, EA will destroy your company like no tomorrow.

nirojan
12-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I voted for Bethesda.

Interesting 3rd choice. I'd think Blizzard or CD Prjekt Red would be a better candidate than Obsidian. The former Black Rock studios would definitely have been an option, but even with the exodus of former employees that formed Obsidian, they've never quite managed to captured my attention (and my gaming dollars) the way the old studio did.

Laddy
12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Don't you mean Black Isle? :stare:

I didn't include Blizzard because it only has WoW and Diablo, which are different then the types of games we're discussing. And while the Witcher is indeed awesome, CD Projekt Red has only developed three games so far.

Quindiana Jones
12-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Really? What's the third?

Laddy
12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
It's a Cyberpunk RPG coming out the next year, so two. However, if they continue being as great as they are, they could definitely be the company to beat.

Also, Capcom (with Dragon's Dogma) and Namco (with Demon's/Dark Souls) are doing pretty well in the WRPG department, so I'm interested in what they can do with their respective franchises.

EDIT: Obsidian is winning. EoFF is officially a cool place.

Quindiana Jones
12-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I loved Dragon's Dogma to an almost embarrassing degree, in spite of it's enormous, widespread and normally game-breaking flaws. :love:

Madame Adequate
12-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah the answer is Obsidian and anyone who says otherwise should just stop playing games right now :colbert:

NeoCracker
12-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Me and Milf are rarely in such agreement on these matters. o_O

Laddy
12-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Yeah the answer is Obsidian and anyone who says otherwise should just stop playing games right now :colbert:
*bows to*

The answer is clear.

nirojan
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't you mean Black Isle? :stare:

Lol yes I did mean Black Isle. I dunno how I screwed that one up:confused:.

Shoeberto
12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I've really wanted to play some of CD Projekt Red's games but I haven't made the time investment yet. I'm not sure I can resist the temptation of a cyberpunk RPG developed by them though. They have a generally great philosophy about development and catering to their audience that I love - iirc, we wouldn't have the excellent GOG.com in its current form without them.

Quindiana Jones
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I found the Witcher books really interesting and well-written, and wasn't disappointed when I played Assassin of Kings. One day I intend to play the original as well, since that relates to the books I actually know, so I'll be able to see a direct translation, of sorts. Witcher 2 was a great game. However, I never completed the third part. Hell, I barely even got started. I'm not sure why. I'd just managed to fix an almost game-breaking glitch, so maybe I felt a bit fatigued.

Freya
12-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I really WANT to say bioware becuase i love them but I know that's not true anymore. Please get better bioware. I miss you.

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Bethesda gave us Morrowind. Thank you Bethesda.

Laddy
12-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Okay, this thread now has to be closed. :colbert:

Slothy
12-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Okay, this thread now has to be closed. :colbert:

Yeah, the wrong company is in the lead. I might have to close it since I can't vote fort Obsidian twice.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 03:22 AM
I find it funny that Obsidian is kind of the fix-it guys. Like, KOTOR2 brought them in to try and improve on the original. Bethesda didn't want to give New Vegas a run so they got Obsidian to do it. For the "back up" they really are first class. Obviously still got flaws from here to the moon but as it stands they are on top of things.

Futan
12-12-2012, 03:32 AM
I'm surprised Bioware has 0 votes. Yeah, they've been awful lately but I figured someone would give them credit for the past. Bigger they are, I guess...

Slothy
12-12-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm surprised Bioware has 0 votes. Yeah, they've been awful lately but I figured someone would give them credit for the past. Bigger they are, I guess...

I've actually never played a Bioware game I'd consider deserving of anything more than a meh. I just have no love for them really.

escobert
12-12-2012, 03:55 AM
I enjoyed the first Neverwinter game which I believe was done by Bioware.

I enjoy the Bethesda games the most of these to choose from.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Bioware previously being the king is no reason for them to be given modern day merit when they're dropping the ball in all sorts of ways. I'll give them credit for challenging gender and sexuality stereotypes in games - ie making gay romance possible - but apart from Mass Effect being pretty cool but lacking in fulfilled potential, I can't say much else on them.