PDA

View Full Version : Is The Writing of This Game Good or What?

Laddy
12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
With the exception of XII, Tactics, and maybe VI, this game has the best writing in the series by far. It has a lot of subtlety than many other games in the series (X, for example) lacks, and a lot of the dialogue is laced with double entendre and metaphor that gives it an edge over the other games. In particular, I found the game funny and charming when it needed to be, but also serious and downright dark without seeming forced.

So, let's talk about IX's great writing.

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Like you said, I always enjoyed a lot of the darker undertones, like Vivi questioning his existence, or the truth behind Kuja and Zidane. But at the same time, Zidane was easily the most charismatic main character in the series, and there were a lot of funny/goofy moments throughout the game too. All of the characters had a bunch memorable quotes as well.

To answer your question, yes, its up there as one of the best written games in the series.

Ouch!
12-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I always felt that Final Fantasy IX's script does the absolute best job of balancing tone. Whereas in other titles (such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII) the moments of levity are often tonally dissonant and jarring, I feel that the ups and downs in FFIX are handled very well. It's all very organic, and I can't think of any moments that feel particularly forced (like the oft-cited, god awful laughing scene in FFX).

Clo
12-11-2012, 01:32 AM
I completely agree! I at least don't feel embarrassed when I read the dialogue.

Though Garnet's "...."s can go to hell.

Jiro
12-11-2012, 01:45 AM
I read an article claiming that Vivi's existential crisis was handled poorly but I think they're full of shit. Final Fantasy IX is very well done. Somebody say something wrong so I can argue, quick!

Hollycat
12-11-2012, 01:48 AM
I agree, it is one of the best ffs in terms of writing.

Yar
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
While not my favorite story in the series, I will say that it is does have the best writing by far. :D I would call it "epic".

Depression Moon
12-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Best story and writing in the series.

Wolf Kanno
12-11-2012, 06:25 PM
I would agree it's one of the better written stories in terms of dialogue and characterization, the plot has some issues but overall I can kind of overlook it because a lot of it is emulating previous FFs. I feel Vivi's story is some of the most mature writing in the numbered series. :vivi:

Freya
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I agree! The way they handled the whole black mage issue of creation was great. Not only vivi but all of them. The way they made their own village but didn't understand themselves, it was handled well.

Jinx
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
The story's great. But there are definitely some holes. Freya's subplot, Quina and all of that, Amarant's subplot, Necron.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Necron was intentional though.

Heath
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
I always felt that Final Fantasy IX's script does the absolute best job of balancing tone. Whereas in other titles (such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII) the moments of levity are often tonally dissonant and jarring, I feel that the ups and downs in FFIX are handled very well. It's all very organic, and I can't think of any moments that feel particularly forced (like the oft-cited, god awful laughing scene in FFX).

I completely agree! I at least don't feel embarrassed when I read the dialogue.

Though Garnet's "...."s can go to hell.

Pretty much!

I think the first point, that the game feels organic in its story development is a very good one. FFIX as a story really seems to develop rather than build up to something that changes everything and you have to take it at face value. It flows very well. Even the moments when it feels like there's going to be a bit of a lull (e.g. start of disc three), there's enough stuff bubbling in the background to keep you interested. It is a very well written game, and I think that is reflected in the quality of the characters.

Tigmafuzz
12-14-2012, 08:12 AM
XII ≥ IX &Tactics > VI > IV > everything else > dead squirrels ≥ XIII (based on not only the writing, but the execution)

Elly
12-14-2012, 12:55 PM
id have to go with or what, the start of the downfall was the rat with chicken legs, wtf?, then when it got to the character of Quinna (a huge FU to the LGBT community) i just could not stay interested or take the game seriously anymore, first it patronizes then insults me so FU FFIX, you werent supposed to be a numbered FF in the first place...

despite my vitriol, i am willing to give the game another chance at some point, heck i still own my launch day physical copy and a digital copy from the PSN, ill just have to ignore Quinna as much as possible... i just havent been convinced its worth it yet...

Ouch!
12-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Man, I know not everyone loves FFIX as much as I do, but I don't think I've ever encountered any Final Fantasy fan who actually hates it... First time for everything, I guess.

Flying Arrow
12-17-2012, 03:49 AM
The dialogue and direction in this game is spot-on. Probably the best in the series, or at the very least the best from the first 10 games. They'd been trying to nail world-building and writing in this way since VI, but only in IX did the detail, creativity, and actual ability to translate into flawless English come together.

VII and VIII come close, although VII has its well-known disability with actually speaking coherent English though the setting and story are probably the best in the series. VIII comes even closer, but doesn't quite hit the nail on the head when it comes to sharp dialogue and world building.

So IX and XII are the pinnacle of non-cringe worthy writing in the series, although completely different in their respective approaches.

Laddy
12-17-2012, 05:44 AM
id have to go with or what, the start of the downfall was the rat with chicken legs, wtf?, then when it got to the character of Quinna (a huge FU to the LGBT community) i just could not stay interested or take the game seriously anymore, first it patronizes then insults me so FU <acronym title="Final Fantasy IX">FFIX</acronym>, you werent supposed to be a numbered <acronym title="Final Fantasy">FF</acronym> in the first place...
How is Quina offensive? Quina isn't even human. Nothing about Quina's ambigous sex is offensive.

Jinx
12-17-2012, 03:05 PM
id have to go with or what, the start of the downfall was the rat with chicken legs, wtf?, then when it got to the character of Quinna (a huge FU to the LGBT community) i just could not stay interested or take the game seriously anymore, first it patronizes then insults me so FU <acronym title="Final Fantasy IX">FFIX</acronym>, you werent supposed to be a numbered <acronym title="Final Fantasy">FF</acronym> in the first place...
How is Quina offensive? Quina isn't even human. Nothing about Quina's ambigous sex is offensive.

I was going to comment on this as well. How is this a fuck you to LGBT community? It isn't.

Elly
12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
because Transgendered and/or intersexed people being reffered to as "it" is degrading by reducing them from a living, thinking, self aware being to just a thing... Quinna is humanoid with speach, reasoning, opposable thumbs, and so forth... yeah no one even considered Quinna might be intersexed huh?

but in the end this is all silliness and maybe thats not what the creators implied and i took it the wrong way, maybe they just thaught they were being clever by keeping the gender of Quinna a secret from even the main characters, as my little brother pointed out to me after he read my post (and he hates FFIX more than me), so i guess it was prolly just a bad joke that bombed horribly with me...

Laddy
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
But Quina is neither intersex or transgendered. Quina either has an ambigous gender or is ungendered. Besides, in most versions of the game, Quina is given definitive gender pronouns. In the English and Japanese version, Quina is referred to as "s/he" as opposed to "it".

Many things about Quina is supposed to be funny, the ambigous gender really not being among them.

Elly
12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
yeah maybe im looking too deep into it and should to just go with it, it is fantasy after all and i shouldnt be nitpicking it, besides discussions like that are best left to the Eyes on Each Other board, sorry i braught it into your game guys, i mean no disrespect, truly...

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-18-2012, 06:53 AM
So yeah, about that writing......DOPE.

Laddy
12-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I remember a year or so ago I tried to start a fandub for this game. It didn't go anywhere, but I'm still interested in doing it people are interested. xD

Jinx
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I remember a year or so ago I tried to start a fandub for this game. It didn't go anywhere, but I'm still interested in doing it people are interested. xD

YES I WILL BE A GIRL CHARACTER LADDY

Freya
12-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Also, Freya doesn't have chicken legs o.o Her feet are wrapped in a type of leather for her shoes. She is a rat after all, she can't have normal shoes cause she doesn't have normal feets ^_^ If that's who you were referring to when you meant the rat with chicken legs.

Unless you mean Puck, and again those are just his legs and strange shoes he's a rat they aren't gonna have human legs o.o

Elly
12-21-2012, 10:15 AM
even if they're just their shoes, Freya and Puck both being rats, the real question is why anyone would want a rat in their party theyre filthy disgusting animals that live in garbage and carry disease, thats just gross to me... even if i suspend disbelief, after all most of the game is anthropomorphic animals that talk, when animals are used that way in traditional animation the rat is still a representation of the dirty, grimy underbelly of society, thus filthy disgusting animals...

Freya
12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I wasn't quite convinced you were trolling until that post.

And because of that I have to say, knock it off.

Elly
12-21-2012, 01:23 PM
not trolling just stating my opinion, but ill stop posting it here where my opinion on this particular game is unpopular... if i offended you i apologize, as my intent was not to offend but to provoke thaught, the characters are after all part of the literary work that comprises the games narrative...

Jinx
12-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Didn't you know, Freya. Freya the character is disgusting garbage, and Quina is an offensive tranny.

Next thing I know Zidane's offensive because he's party monkey and flings his poo, Steiner's offensive because he's fat, Garnet's offensive because she's anorexic, Vivi's offensive because he's black, Eiko's offensive because she's got a disfigurement on her head, and Amarant's offensive because he's a ginger.

Elly
12-21-2012, 03:44 PM
that was uncalled for, i apologized... there was no need to blatantly misconstrue what i said previously and blow it out of proportion... i apologized it should be left at that...

Jiro
12-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah let's all cool off team. We're discussing the writing, anyway, keep on topic, the lot of you! :smash:

nik0tine
12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with a discussion like this in this forum. And mentioning the fact that Quina is called an 'it' is discussing the writing.

captainwood
08-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't know about writing, but FF IX certainly had the best translation job up until that point. For example, we did not need VA to know that the inhabitants of Conde Petie spoke with something akin to a Scottish accent... Very clever indeed.

comma
08-16-2013, 03:07 AM
It's been too long since I've played it to go into detail, but I'd say that the first disc of Final Fantasy IX is the best exposition in any FF game ever. It's pointed, dramatic, has great character development, the best-written dialogue in an FF game up to that point, and it's just brimming with creativity in a world that fully embraces fantasy.

Of course, like most FF games, it turns into a jumbled, rambling mess with a weak central goal after that, but it never gets any worse than the other games in the series.

And yeah, since character identity is obviously a discussion about the writing, I'll weigh in on Quina. I think it's understandable that such a bizarre, "otherly" character being a representative for an entire set of people can be construed as a little demeaning and offensive. She/he is comic relief: a strange clown for us to laugh at. I would be upset if that were the character I'd most identify with because of my gender, too.

On the other hand, fiction, and comedy in particular, helps bring to light certain societal issues that people otherwise don't think about or have very narrow understanding of. Comedy is important here because it help breaks the ice and is the least offensive way to confront sensitive issues. Think about the gay character in the movie Some Like It Hot. Yes, he's awkward and a little off-putting, but the mere fact that he has a place in that movie's world and isn't presented as a child molester or a criminal is a big deal. That's why I think comedy is the greatest tool for broaching topics of social change, even if in the act of doing so, the ridiculousness of the taboo is exposed for laughs.

I think this is done with great success with Quina, and I encourage you to give the game another chance with this in mind.