PDA

View Full Version : Times you are stupid in games

Pike
12-11-2012, 01:00 AM
I just spent two hours trying to do one quest in Morrowind because I was running around looking for some NPC I was supposed to find, but as it turns out she's not in her usual haunt and I have to go somewhere to rescue her. Noticing the big obvious note to me in her room would've been a nice clue. Too bad I'm blind. :monster:

Talk about times where you have been similarly dumb to help me feel better!

Bahamut2000X
12-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I've never done anything even remotely stupid in a game. The game usually compliments for my brilliance. Sorry mate.

Laddy
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
In any game in which I have set formation, I always put my mage in a vulnerable state because I forget to change it until halfway into the game. :/

Balzac
12-11-2012, 01:17 AM
I usually miss important clues, but that's mainly due to being colourblind.

Mercen-X
12-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I have no recollection to offer. Meaning that I can't provide details.

Jinx
12-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Well, you know Mt. Nibel? I probably spent a good hour or two on that one twisty screen right after leaving Nibelheim...I kept getting caught on the corner. >.>

Futan
12-11-2012, 02:11 AM
First time I played VII, I didn't use Materia my first play through until the boss in the elevator on the way out of the Shinra building, which I couldn't beat. In X, I didn't use the Sphere Grid until Seymour. Both times I restarted the game, overwrote my save and then finally realized they existed. :-/ Should pay attention to those tutorials a bit more maybe.

Slothy
12-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Only time I can think of was while playing one of the first three Splinter Cell games at my grandparents while on vacation. I forget which one it was, but I got to some point where I had to do a split jump in order to progress or some other similar technique. Instead I ran around for a while with no clue where to go. Eventually I did notice the opening above me I needed to get to, but could find no way to reach it. Eventually my uncle told me I just needed to do the split jump. By this point I was more than half way through the game, hadn't used it the entire time, and completely forgot it existed because I went through most of the game never needing it until reaching the only obstacle that required it. I was not very pleased.

DK
12-11-2012, 04:04 AM
I am going to tell you a story, Auntie Pike. I think I may have even told you this story before, but I'm going to do it again just for you, but I want you to know that this is probably one of the most traumatic gaming experiences I've ever had and I am reopening old and greivous wounds for you here. I was actually just thinking about this the other day, too. ugh. I will warn you all in advance that the only way I can truly do justice to my stupidity and the price I paid for it will require me to be entirely tl;dr. Anyway, here goes.

Back when I was attending university, my best friend Aaron used to live only a few houses down the road from me, and I would head down to his on a regular basis. We hung out a whole lot, watched a bunch of movies, ate a lot of food and played a lot of games. Sometimes on the PS3, sometimes pass and play on his PC and sometimes I'd take my laptop down and we'd LAN it up. One of our favourite games to play was Age of Mythologies: The Titans. For those of you who have never played the game, it's pretty much a typical Age of RTS game, only with mythical units and powers based on ancient gods. Seeing as there was a maximum of three factions allowed in a game and we thought it would be unfair with two of us against one AI opponent, we always played with the max difficulty level. The style of game we used to play was usually a 50/50 split between a legitmate game and one filled with us spamming cheats and generally being dicks to everything. This particular round, however, was a legitmate run.

Some run it was shaping up to be, too. For me at least, anyway. I'd be quite comfortable in saying that it was probably my best ever planned game of AoM. I had put an incredible amount of effort and time into building a mighty civilization in anticipation of unleashing all hell on the AI controlled norsemen. My civ was running at optimum capacity, I had built the ideal amount of the most important buildings, the economy was booming and I had quietly amassed a strong, if not huge military. I had also surrounded my entire home base with the strongest wall possible. I had progressed all the way through to the titan age god powers, the strongest level available. We were pretty much getting into endgame of the operation, as I had my citizens in the process of building of building my Titan gate, which would have enabled me to summon my Titan Cerberus. Titan units were far and away the most powerful in the game, capable of reducing an opposing faction to rubble singlehandedly if played right. My gate was nearing completion, and with a vast stockpile of resources my plan was to summon Cerberus, quickly push out a number of the strongest units available and then rain destruction upon the Norsemen.

As I previously mentioned, this was probably the best run on AoM I'd ever had, and I was excited. Geniunely, truly, rub-my-hands-together-in-maniacal-glee excited for what was to come. And quite pleased with myself for pulling it off. I should mention up this point as well that I'd had little to no contact with the Norse forces. Whether they'd had their attention focused on skirmishes with my boy Az or had just been content to leave me alone, I shall never know. What I do know, and what I will never forget, is what happened next. A chain of events that shattered my little world, my night of gaming and scarred me forever in a way that no game had before and none has done since. As I told you, I had surrounded my civilization with the strongest possible walls as a first line of defence. We were untouchable. Or so I thought. You see, there was a small river that ran across the world and through my home base. I had built the wall on either side of it, however unbeknownst to me due to the camera angle of the game, I had actually built my wall on one side of the river just one grid square short. Enough space for one unit to pass through. It was enough.

Right on the brink of being in the position to begin my offensive, I noticed something strange. Vikings. Storming towards my walls. Like I said up to this point I'd had virtually no contact with them whatsoever so I was not expecting to suddenly see a mass of hairy, beardy bastards steaming towards my glorious land and thus found myself quite confused. This confusion quickly turned to terror as the filthy scandinavian hordes began seemingly running straight through my wall in single file and charging into my beloved home. And then it happened. Just as I noticed the fatal flaw in my wall that was all the opening these vile warriors needed, the Norse god decided this would be a good time for him to use his ultimate power: Ragnarok. Thereby turning every single Norse civilian into a raging viking hero, infused with the power of the gods. No word of a lie, I actually screamed in horror as I watched every filthy norse scumbag in my land, and the ones following them in undergo a severe case of Thor-induced roid rage and proceed to absolutely decimate every last one of my beloved people. There was nothing I could do about it, it was far too late. I could only sit and watch the hordes and hordes of brutish vikings massacre everything I had worked so hard for. All because of one lousy hidden grid of unwalled land.

And that is not even the worst of it. No. For throughout this entire ordeal, Az, my brother, my great friend and partner in crime for many years sat near to me, not giggling, not even just laughing, but HOWLING with laughter at my misfortune. It only served to compound the indignity of the situation and rub salt in the most severe wound my gaming soul has ever taken. I can hear it ringing in my ears as I type this to you. It still cuts to the core.

So there you have it. I hope this has helped you somehow, Auntie Pike. For if some small good were to come out of this episode, it may-

I'm kidding no one. Nothing is ever going to make this better. :colbert: smurfing norse bastards

Roogle
12-11-2012, 08:00 AM
League of Legends is a difficult game if you have no experience with Multiplayer Online Battle Arena games like the original DotA. It depends very much on teamwork, and there are times when you might be out of sync with the rest of your team and make mistakes. I try not to let it happen to me too often, but everyone has a moment like this in almost every game unless you're a professional player.

Night Fury
12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I was once trying to find the White SeeD ship in VIII, so was floating about for ages trying to find it, it took me a good 45 minutes til I realised I had missed a chunk of the story and was acting a bit too early :p

Jinx
12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I was once trying to find the White SeeD ship in VIII, so was floating about for ages trying to find it, it took me a good 45 minutes til I realised I had missed a chunk of the story and was acting a bit too early :p

WHAT ABOUT THAT DAMN TRAIN NEXT TO THAT GARDEN THAT'S RIGHT THERE BUT SHITTY CAMERA ANGLES CAUSE YOU TO WANDER AROUND FOR 3 DAMN HOURS

Madame Adequate
12-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Sorry, I am possessed with the spirit of Doomtrain, I have never in my life in any game from FFVIII to Transport Tycoon Deluxe to Train Simulator 2013 had any trouble with trains :smug:

Searching for the White SeeD Ship though holy god I think I got a secret ending where the characters all died of old age because I spent that long looking for it.

And I missed the best character in Suikoden V because I straight up forgot to come back to him after talking to Mueller.

noshowmillk
12-13-2012, 10:49 PM
During my first play through of Kingdom Hearts, in the Aladdin level during the part where I was supposed to lower the pillar blocking the door way to the next boss. I went down to the end of the pillar and thought I was suppose to activate some sort of mechanism that would lower the pillar, like placing a magic gem or something in that conveniently carved out hole on the wall. I spent four hours looking for something until I got mad and shot the pillar with fire, thus destroying the weaker part and lowering the pillar.

Maybe I really am stupid when it comes to Kingdom Hearts.

Futan
12-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Only time I can think of was while playing one of the first three Splinter Cell games at my grandparents while on vacation. I forget which one it was, but I got to some point where I had to do a split jump in order to progress or some other similar technique. Instead I ran around for a while with no clue where to go. Eventually I did notice the opening above me I needed to get to, but could find no way to reach it. Eventually my uncle told me I just needed to do the split jump. By this point I was more than half way through the game, hadn't used it the entire time, and completely forgot it existed because I went through most of the game never needing it until reaching the only obstacle that required it. I was not very pleased.

Was it like a Chinatown sort of area or maybe it was just outside a Chinese restaurant? I vaguely remember having done something similar if not the same thing. lol. I spent HOURS trying to figure it out. But either way, that's more of a game design fail than a player fail.

Mo-Nercy
12-14-2012, 02:26 PM
I suppose I mess up the most in racing games. I tend to be a bit too impatient to muck around with set-ups and just jump into the race only to find I'm on the wrong tyres or something.

I can also be pretty stupid when it comes to puzzle games. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, then I must've been the craziest person in the world to play Catherine.

Futan
12-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Was it like a Chinatown sort of area or maybe it was just outside a Chinese restaurant? I vaguely remember having done something similar if not the same thing. lol. I spent HOURS trying to figure it out. But either way, that's more of a game design fail than a player fail.

I just remembered it. It was an alley with a Chinese restaurant. You would sneak through it into the kitchen where there was a ladder to the second floor. Except I didn't see that ladder and wasted hours trying to get to the second floor from the alley. So yeah. Player fail for me. Game design still for you. Lol.

Karifean
12-17-2012, 08:15 PM
The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series has the habit of making me feel really stupid every 20 seconds.