PDA

View Full Version : Best Art Style

Laddy
12-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Which game had the best art style in your opinions.

I adore IX's, it has a storybook-like quality to it that just oozed imagination and creativity. It has a very Renaissance feel to it.

IV is Amano's best work in regards to art style. It has an excellent Impressionist look to it.

Also, I like VII's, though I prefer Nomura's FFVIII/XIII character designs more.

In this thread, we discuss the varying art styles found in Final Fantasy games. :kakapo:

Night Fury
12-11-2012, 12:38 PM
I like X's a lot. I love the tribal-esque feel which varies from location to location, I think it's a beautiful world which is rich and interesting, especially areas like Macalania Woods and the Farplane!

The gothic style of Ultimecia's castle as a stark contrast to the rest of the game in FFVIII is something else I've always loved, I found the places in VIII to be really nice looking, I loved Fisherman's Horizon!

For monsters, I love VIII, IX and X. I found with VII that the graphics limitations really hindered how awesome the monsters looked.

Jinx
12-11-2012, 01:00 PM
FFX. by far. It's realistic, but whimsical at the same time. The colours are beautiful, too.

Red Mage Coffman
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Dissida is the most beautiful thing ever. Amano really makes the characters shine. I swear.

Wolf Kanno
12-11-2012, 06:21 PM
For Amano's games, I like FFIV, FFVI, and FFIX because they have the most visible consistency and I feel he hit the feel of "Fantasy" with FFIV and I love the otherworldly mix of magic, science, and some Victorian style he did for VI, his work on IX is also really good. For Nomura, I like VII the most, though I feel the main cast looks a little bland some times but the overall world design of the game is pretty good. I tend to favor Nomura's heavy anime style so I can't really say I like VIII, X, XI, and XIII's style. I also love Akihiko Yoshida's work on FFXII though I feel some of the character outfits are hit or miss. For monster designs, I do prefer Nomura and I feel his work on FFV and VI were top notch and he's got some cool design in VII and X as well. For Amano, his work on FFII is probably my favorite but it's hard to ignore some of the boss designs he did in FFI-VI.

black orb
12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
>>> FF9..:luca:

noshowmillk
12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
FFIX had some good art but I liked FFX's better. Dissidia ranking just below FFX.

Jinx
12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
For Amano's games, I like FFIV, FFVI, and FFIX because they have the most visible consistency and I feel he hit the feel of "Fantasy" with FFIV and I love the otherworldly mix of magic, science, and some Victorian style he did for VI, his work on IX is also really good. For Nomura, I like VII the most, though I feel the main cast looks a little bland some times but the overall world design of the game is pretty good. I tend to favor Nomura's heavy anime style so I can't really say I like VIII, X, XI, and XIII's style. I also love Akihiko Yoshida's work on FFXII though I feel some of the character outfits are hit or miss. For monster designs, I do prefer Nomura and I feel his work on FFV and VI were top notch and he's got some cool design in VII and X as well. For Amano, his work on FFII is probably my favorite but it's hard to ignore some of the boss designs he did in FFI-VI.

I would've thought FFX was the MOST anime-ish Final Fantasy.

Pike
12-12-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm gonna be weird and say Tactics Advance because I love the bunny-moogles. Also the style of the game and the art in general.

Wolf Kanno
12-12-2012, 05:06 AM

I would've thought FFX was the MOST anime-ish Final Fantasy.

FFX is the most Japanese and it does have some garish art direction with clothing and architecture that's predominate in modern anime, but it doesn't have the classic anime style like FFVII, Kingdom Hearts, Before Crisis, and The World Ends With You do. I mean if you think about it, FFVII would translate well into an anime (and has) whereas FFX's cast would have to be redrawn like they were for their KH cameos.

Bolivar
12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
To me it's a tossup between FFVII-IX just off the strength of their pre-rendered backgrounds. They're basically games full of paintings. 2D is charming and X and XII did some incredibly imaginative things with 3d, but it's gotta be one of the PlayStation games for me.

Not sure which one. IX's detail is off the charts, I really like VIII's more laid back feel to a lot of the locales and the more organic take on technology. As with other things, I'm going to go with VII because I felt like a lot of it was really good science fiction and just how memorable it was. For some reason sights like Midgar, the Junon Canon, Rocket Town and the Northern Crater made a really big impression on me, probably a bigger one than any other game.

Rostum
12-13-2012, 06:08 AM
All of the 3D ones! Loved FFIX, FFX, FFXI and FFXII!

Del Murder
12-24-2012, 07:22 AM
FFIX for the reasons Laddy mentioned. Storybook is a great adjective to use for it.