PDA

View Full Version : Damn ice

Night Fury
12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
So this morning, I got myself up nice and early to head to the computer suites to try and get my work done. (I've been sat here 4 hours and have done nothing, go figure! :monster: )

So I set off out the the front door, there's a lovely crisp winter air and there isn't a cloud in the sky. I'm in my lovely winter boots which have great grip and off I go!

I make my way out of my gate just about to go reach into my bag to pull out my iPod and WHOAH WHAT THE SMURF I'M ON MY ASS LYING ON THE FLOOR JESUS WEPT WHAT JUST HAPPENED I CAN SEE THE SKY!

Turns out there was a very thin, lethal invisible layer of deadly ninja ice on the path and I fell right into it's horrible, vicious little trap.

So I'm just lying there on my ass while it registers that I've just went down like a total sack of trout, and I see my poor little panda hat has fallen from my head because of the absolute gravitas of that fall, he's just lying there in a pathetic slump on the floor as I'm flailing my arms around like a beached whale trying to get back up.

Smurf you ninja ice.

SMURF YOU.

:irked:

Anyone else slipped yet?

Jowy
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Nope, wearing short sleeves today.

A few years back I hit a patch of black ice going to work in the morning and spun out on the highway. I did a 540 and wound up just going straight along like nothing ever happened. Surprised I didn't pinball into the pile of cinder blocks about twenty feet away!

Rantz
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Almost-slipped a hundred times on my bike, but I've managed to avoid falls and concussions this year so far.

Jowy
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Wear a helmet!

Night Fury
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Wear a helmet!

Vikings always wear helmets Jowy, sheesh.

escobert
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
not yet!
*knocks on wood*

Faris
12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Nope, and if I do it's usually a controlled fall. I tend to look at the ground ahead of me while I'm walking, so I usually see the ice and walk around it.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-11-2012, 05:00 PM
A few years back I hit a patch of black ice going to work in the morning and spun out on the highway. I did a 540 and wound up just going straight along like nothing ever happened. Surprised I didn't pinball into the pile of cinder blocks about twenty feet away!

Black ice caught me out pretty bad once too. When if first started driving I tended to go sorta No other teenage boy I knew of acted like this, and it's very embarrassing. I would push my poor little 1986 Mazda 626 with all season tires as hard as I could on the way to school every morning.

One of my braking points for a corner was in the shade of a tree. Shade is exactly where black ice likes to hide :P. I hit the brakes perfectly on the ice and jumped a ditch. I wound up in a field, and spent the weekend replacing bent pieces on my poor little car. :cry:

Shorty
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I've told this story before, but I slipped on the ice when I was 17 and broke my arm :( Feet came straight out from underneath me and I cracked my arm right at the elbow.

I was working at Sonic at the time. I was not on rollerskates.

Agent Proto
12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I slipped on my butt a few times no thanks to ice on the driveway. It has a slight slope so I have to be careful maneuvering around when ice is present.

Psychotic
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I haven't yet but GET THE FUCK OFF MY FUCKING CAR YOU BASTARD ICE :argh:

Pumpkin
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I slipped a lot on ice as a kid, but I got so used to it that last winter I could wear 5 inch heals and climb up an ice covered snow hill with no problems.

I'm expecting much less ice than I'm used to this year.

Parker
12-11-2012, 06:48 PM
lmao @ the misfortune of the op

Also I just went outside with two scarves and my hood as well as a hat on and it was pretty cold!

Aulayna
12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Not ice, but I managed to fall over whilst wear a particular uncomfortable pair of heeled boots to the super market the other week.

I was walking and talking (yay for multitasking) and got a bit distracted. Basically, I stopped repeating myself "okay, now...right...left...check the floor...again, right...left...yeah, yeah, there you go sister!" Then I thought "Oh wow, this floor is slippery!Oh shi...!". Rolled mental dices, 8, success - balance regained!...That lasted like one second, floor rolled dices too, critical success! "Floor used 'COME DOWN ON MAH BELLEH!' attack and I awkwardly fell. xD

Iceglow
12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I haven't slipped over yet. I wear my cowboy boots like EVERY day during the winter because they're warm however being cowboy boots they're not designed to have any grip. Therefore I often slide around a little, sometimes I think it's only my iceskating experience what keeps me on my damn feet, I tend to feel the slide start and balance myself out somehow.

Raistlin
12-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I haven't slipped so far, but there hasn't been any snow/ice yet either.

My junior year of college, I lived in an off-campus apartment complex called "Ice House." I have no idea how it originally got that name, but the sidewalks immediately around it were fucking death traps in the winter.

Slothy
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm Canadian, 27 years old, and I've never broken a bone in my body. I don't think any of those are possible without learning how to walk on ice at a young age. I don't even really notice it anymore.

Black ice caught me out pretty bad once too. When if first started driving I tended to go sorta No other teenage boy I knew of acted like this, and it's very embarrassing. I would push my poor little 1986 Mazda 626 with all season tires as hard as I could on the way to school every morning.

One of my braking points for a corner was in the shade of a tree. Shade is exactly where black ice likes to hide :P. I hit the brakes perfectly on the ice and jumped a ditch. I wound up in a field, and spent the weekend replacing bent pieces on my poor little car. :cry:

A few years ago I was driving from a clients back home with a few people from work sometime in late November/early December. One of them was driving, and it was about an hour and a half or two hours on the highway to get home. At some point the car started to slide, spun around two or three times while still traveling down the highway before we came to a stop facing the right direction and after hitting nothing. Spinning aside, we pretty much went in a straight line the whole time, and no cars were really around. Quite lucky really.

The thing that sticks out in my mind though was how unbelievably calm I was. It was like my brain just went "well, can't do anything about it so let's just wait and see what happens." No adrenaline, no change in my heart rate, nothing. It was kind of disconcerting.

~*~Celes~*~
12-12-2012, 02:22 AM
So far I've avoided falling which is for the best considering how accident prone I am.

Laddy
12-12-2012, 02:34 AM
I had to put on a jacket today. It was terrible. :stare:

Jiro
12-12-2012, 02:43 AM
That one spot out front of Coe Library... I must've come close to going ass up at least a dozen times.

Fortunately I'm baller as fuck and rarely end up stacking it.

Well. Mostly.

Pike
12-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I recently slipped but it was right as I was getting into my car so I fell onto my seat. It wasn't so bad.

Also had a couple car slip ups whilst driving due to slick roads. And those are never fun. :mymelbert: