PDA

View Full Version : Dissida makes everything better

Red Mage Coffman
12-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Was just playing Dissida Duodecim the other day, doing Squall's story. I realized how... awesome Squall seemed. He wasn't the complete prick he was in VIII. He was cool and stuff. Same thing with Tidus. To make these characters appealing... Wow.

I think Dissidia did an excellent job with the characters. I feel like this Squall is totally different than VIII's Squall. I also adore Amano's art style. Squall actually looks cool! Point is, Dissida fixed these bad characters and made them good. Praise be to Dissida. Then again Cloud was an emo git. Sadly... Shoulda been a badass. Oh well.

While I'm on this subject what other characters should have been in Dissida? Some you wouldn't have minded seeing? :3

VeloZer0
12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I found that all the characters I hated in their original games were much more palatable in Dissidia, but on the flip side all the characters I liked were a chore to listen to.

Wolf Kanno
12-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I feel Dissidia's characterizations of the cast were often hit or miss depending on who we are talking about, though the villains probably suffered from it a bit more. I kind of feel that Cecil and Bartz got poorly characterized, with Cecil being this little puppy trying to follow his big brother around and Bartz being so air-headed and goofy it's hard to imagine he's the second oldest character in the group. I also wasn't fond of Terra and Cloud's portrayal. Terra is way more mousy and meek in Dissidia than she is in her game, I always kind of imagined she had this shell-shocked personality. Cloud probably would have worked better if his VA hadn't phoned in his performance, but I guess I'm in the minority when I expect Gloom Cloud over his brain warp Hero Cloud version cause that's actually the real Cloud after he breaks free from Jenova/Sephiroth.

Most of the villains except Golbez, Kefka, Garland, and Emperor Mateus could have been better.

As for characters I would have loved to see? Well...

Leon from FFII
Zemus from FFIV
Faris from FFV
Celes and General Leo from FFVI
Jenova from FFVII
Seifer from FFVIII
Vivi from FFIX
Auron from FFX
Basch from FFXII

Red Mage Coffman
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, Cloud was really depressing and a lot of the villains lacked good character. As for I-V heroes I felt the personalities given to them were created to giove them more depth to keep up with the deeper personalities of the later characters like Cloud and Squall. They just sorta had to improv a personality onto them. Ya know?

I would have loved to see Seifer, Vivi, Auron, and Basch. The biggest problem with this game was that it incorpoated ONLY main heroes and villains. Dissida Duodecim tried to incorporate other characters, but only ended up breaking the balance of good to bad characters. Mind you, I didn't hate the new ones. They just should have tried to add some villains. Like Seifer or something. Would have been more interesting.

maybee
12-12-2012, 05:58 AM
I disagree. Zidane seemed to be really off, he seemed more like Locke Cole than actual Zidane and Bartz seemed off as well. What they did to Terra was just unforgivable and Cloud was way too depressed sounding thanks to Steve Burton.

Firion, Kefka, Cecil, Kain, Paramecia, Garland, and Laguna are good though. Still doesn't add up to what they've done to the main SNES- PSONE group.

TrollHunter
12-14-2012, 04:05 AM
I somewhat agree
Bartz... made me ashamed to love FF5
Terra made me want to shoot myself in the foot.
Cecil was just... okay I didnt pay attention to his VA due to how stupid they made his hair look
Cloud was... meh, I've heard worse
Onion Knight was decent, though I didn't like him for some reason. /favorite FF is FF3
Cosmos/Warrior of light were both bland, boring, and put me to sleep.
Zidane... just felt off to me. I dont seem to be alone in thinking this.

Good characters though
Kefka was just amazing
Firion was solid
Squall was pretty good
Garland was I WILL CRUSH YOU
Gabranth is bearable
Golbez was surprisingly solid
Tidus was actually really good, as was jecht. I also felt this game did Jechts and Tidus's relationship better than FF10 could have ever dreamed of.
Shantoto is still fun to listen to
Almost forgot Laguna, he is simply amazing.