PDA

View Full Version : Night Games

Shorty
12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
The nighttime activities made me think of this one!

Did you ever play night games/street games as a kid? The kids in our neighborhood would run around knocking on doors after the sun went down yelling about how they were gonna play Kick the Can, Ghosts in the Graveyard, Sardines or Flashlight tag and others that I can't remember. After we played for a while we'd all end up sitting on someone's lawn talking or telling scary stories until our parents came looking for us and we all had to scatter.

Utahns can't be the only ones who did this.

Jinx
12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
What does this have to do with CHILDHOOD?

I still do this in the summer!

Aulayna
12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
When I was younger my friends Dad took us to the forest every couple of weeks along with the dogs and we'd go exploring etc. This was an amazing forest at it had old railway tunnels etc in it. When it got dark we kept exploring with torches before sitting down and having hot chocolate and telling stories.

Then as a teenager in London we used to stay in the local park after dark and just tell ghost stories and other silly stuff (we were well into Buffy the Vampire Slayer at the time and used to pretened we were the Scooby Gang). There was a little local football club there that had floodlights for the pitch - one night my friend was telling a completely made up story that if you walk round the edge of the club 3 times at a certain time it'd summon the ghost of some murdered person who'd hunt you down. On the 2nd trip around the Flood Lights all turned off - and we all shat ourselves and ran for our lives, with a couple of us tripping over the metal wiring marking the boundary of the cricket pitch in the park and falling face first into wet soggy grass. Not even stopping to make a big deal out of it everyone just got up and kept running. Ahahaha. Oh good times.

Jowy
12-11-2012, 10:10 PM
One time we went on a "crime spree" and took people's Steelers/Browns/Bills lawn ornaments from their front yards and switched them with the opposing teams across the street. Aside from that no, I just snuck out of my window to go ride my bike around during summer nights for hours.

Pike
12-12-2012, 01:44 AM
I was never allowed to play outside in the dark. :(

Lonely Paper Star
12-12-2012, 01:52 AM
I wasn't allowed to play out in the dark, either when I was little. D: As soon as the sun set, my parents would call me back in.

In high school, though, we played Sardines in my friend's big scary house.

And now I'm hearing of night games based on urban legends and creepypasta and such. Like the Midnight Game (http://smurfyeahnightmares.tumblr.com/post/9440783155/the-midnight-game) and the Bathtub game (http://smurfyeahnightmares.tumblr.com/post/13416632449/bath-game).

DK
12-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Off the top of my head I can't think of any night specific games that we used to play when we were younger. The only thing I can recall is the time when I was 17 and four of us were staying at a friends place which was an apartment above a shop on a pretty big road and we decided to play cricket in the road at 2 a.m, which was sadly prematurely ended when the kid whose house we were staying at thought it would be a good idea to attempt a diving catch into a bush which turned out to be a thorn bush and got stuck. The ball stayed lost forever. I believe we had attempted to go to sleep before we decided this game would be a funny idea so I'm pretty sure he was only wearing a t-shirt and boxer shorts, too. Quite why we thought any of this would be a brilliant idea i'm not sure, but I'm going to hazard a guess at it being the copious amount of whiskey and gin we had drunk.

Futan
12-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Flashlight tag was about it. We would also just lay on the grass and look at the stars, which the night used to be filled with. Doesn't seem that way anymore. :-/ But neither of them we did very often, usually went inside come dark.

~*~Celes~*~
12-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Summers during my childhood were the best. I used to run around all night catching fireflies and playing Sailor Moon with my friends. We'd run around yelling out attacks and such it was so fun!

Jiro
12-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Spotlight is what we called Flashlight. There was tag and non-tag variants.

Our favourite night pastime was Toad Hunting though. You'd get various objects, usually things like cricket bats, and thwack the fuck out of every toad you found. It was very vicious and violent.

NorthernChaosGod
12-12-2012, 04:38 AM
We played normal tag at night and were always scared of when the black kid was it. :p

Night Fury
12-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Our favourite night pastime was Toad Hunting though. You'd get various objects, usually things like cricket bats, and thwack the smurf out of every toad you found. It was very vicious and violent.

OH MY GOD.
:mad2:

escobert
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
We always played Multi. No idea where the name came from but, it's basically team hide and seek tag.

Night Fury
12-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Our favourite night pastime was Toad Hunting though. You'd get various objects, usually things like cricket bats, and thwack the smurf out of every toad you found. It was very vicious and violent.

SORRY, I'D JUST LIKE TO DRAW EVERYONES ATTENTION TO THIS.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
This one time, we started a little fire and put the corpses on the fire. The next morning we woke up and played baseball with charred toad corpses. They disintegrated pretty fucking gloriously.

Night Fury
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
This one time, we started a little fire and put the corpses on the fire. The next morning we woke up and played baseball with charred toad corpses. They disintegrated pretty smurfing gloriously.

:barf:

Jinx
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm really pleased at EoFF's maturity, and restraint from saying

"Sex."

Night Fury
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM

"Sex."

Well my first response was going to be
"I play the hokey kokey under the duvet"

But then I saw that Jiro is an absolute Toad Torturer and that idea just went.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm sorry but once you've lived in this country for a while you will understand

Night Fury
12-12-2012, 03:47 PM

This is why I'll have you and Philip to protect me from such things.

Jinx
12-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Aren't you guys plagued with toads a la Egypt in Exodus?

Night Fury
12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Look at how toading cool toads are. Cool as toad man.

http://c252289.r89.cf3.rackcdn.com/158420.jpg

Shorty
12-12-2012, 05:00 PM

"Sex."

Yeah, was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned just because the words "night" and "games" were put together in the title.

Sephex
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Ghost in the Graveyard was one of the most terrifying things ever. It helps that my dad's side of the family is rather large (he is the 7th of 8th child from my grandparents), so I had tons of cousins to hang out with growing up.

Shorty
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
aww, someone else who played <3

Lonely Paper Star
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM

"Sex."

Yeah, was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned just because the words "night" and "games" were put together in the title.

I... didn't even think about that when I first saw this thread. It went completely over my head. XDDDDD /slow

Shorty
12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Say goodbye to your innocence now that you've let it surface here on EoFF :(

Quindiana Jones
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Jiro, the serial torturer and murderer, won Cutest Member. I'll never vote for you again, man.

I used to have a snail sanctuary (it was the hollowed out top of a big bollard). Myself, my sister and our friend used to find snails and put them all together in a group. Then we'd go around collecting money to buy them food. Those joyful days were quickly dashed upon the rocks of betrayal, when our friend crushed all the snails, took all the money and bought herself a load of sweets with. Fucking Holly Mantle.

There weren't really any special night time games. We'd just do day time things.

Shorty
12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
awwwwwwww snail sanctuary quin that is adorable

I am going to hunt that Holly Mantle person and stick hot pokers in her eyes.

Futan
12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Ghost in the Graveyard was one of the most terrifying things ever. It helps that my dad's side of the family is rather large (he is the 7th of 8th child from my grandparents), so I had tons of cousins to hang out with growing up.

Oh yeah. We played this rarely too.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I loved night time! Especially since I was in the Scouts. We would play Capture the Flag in the graveyard/forest behind a church. We would run around full sprint and badly injure ourselves crashing into marble head stones. I split my knee open so badly on one of those things. One guy lost a tooth......maybe we weren't the smartest kids. :eep:

We had a glow in the dark Frisbee and a huge open field. We would all wear white and play Ultimate Frisbee.

Night was the best time to capture massive bullfrogs. We would not smash them or light them on fire. Just catch them.

We would take the new Scouts out for Snipe Hunting and leave them alone in the woods for hours with sticks and garbage bags. Y'know, being a good mentor.

We would check for when there was going to be a meteor shower, and lay out in the field to watch.

We would go canoeing during the full moons on the really lazy, slow river. It was really peaceful to listen to the wildlife and just drift along in the moonlight.

We would make lean-to shelters and camp. Sitting around the fire and bullshitting was always fun. We would take soda cans full of lighter fluid and place them in the fire.

More memories. This place is getting all nostalgic lately.

Jiro
12-13-2012, 03:11 AM
Cane toads are a literal bane upon our lands, killing them is the greatest service a child can do for his country. You people are weird.