PDA

View Full Version : Would I Lie To You? Game 1 SUDDEN DEATH!

Pages : 1 [2]

Jinx
12-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Why, being so anti-drug, did you let your cousin have drugs in your car? When did this happen?

Citizen Bleys
12-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Jiro's still in til the end of the game. If Team Jiro wins, instead of Jiro being the next presenter and his teammates being captains next game, I'll pick one of his teammates to be presenter, and the other will be a captain vs. someone chosen randomly from Team Rantz

Rantz
12-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm instinctively inclined to disbelieve this. Who knows with my hunches, though.

How much is "large amounts"?

Wasn't the car smelling a whole lot?

What was he pulling you over for?

Formalhaut
12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Given Sam's detective skills, perhaps a long-ass paragraph would have been easier.

To answer your question, I never actually knew he had the damn drugs; if I had known it at the time I would have thrown him out the car. Me and my cousin were at his house, and we arranged to go to his friend's house for some small get-together. He obviously had connections, and obtained two bags of weed, which he delightful neglected to tell me. I think he stuffed it down his trousers, charming.

As for the police patrol, it was stationed on a single stretch of road, I think there was a serious criminal that broke out of prison, so they stopped each car going there and back on the road. There's still the third visit, and that was when they were going door to door, asking residents to be careful as there's a convict on the loose.

This happened last year, I remember it quite vividly because I didn't speak to my cousin for months.

Updates: Damn it can people wait so I don't have to double post! To answer Rantz's set of questions...

It was like two of those money bag type things you store your pennies in. Not a huge amount by any means, but still enough to aggravate me.

My car didn't actually smell that much, I've got quite a bad sense of smell, and he stuffed it under his clothing so I guess the smell got obscured. By any means, it was enclosed in bags, so the smell didn't really get out much.

And I think I explained the whole thing. It wern't really "pulling over" as such. I think I just used that in my statement because it was shorter. I also realised after the fact that I was "pulled over" twice, not three times, but I did see the same cop three times. Sorry, my statement to Bleys was abit shoddy.

Mercen-X
12-28-2012, 11:27 PM
the thread title just according to the defending team
So then, how does this title pertain to us? What was team name? Team Jiro, I thought. Or is it accord with his personality? "D" for...

Citizen Bleys
12-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Jiro's real name starts with a D and I couldn't think of anything good.

Jinx
12-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Dakoda's Barker-ing up the wrong tree

Jiro
12-29-2012, 03:04 AM
It's Team Awesome. I picked a bang up team and I expect us to win. Team Awesome is all we need to be known as.

Also I did break my toe in two places!

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 03:05 AM
It's Team Awesome. I picked a bang up team and I expect us to win. Team Awesome is all we need to be known as.

Also I did break my toe in two places!

At least someone has enthusiasm, I fully expect a loss.

Jinx
12-29-2012, 03:06 AM
We are Team W-S-P

It's showtime, girls.

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 03:18 AM
We are Team W-S-P

It's showtime, girls.

Hey! A FFX-2 reference! Don't see too many of them around these parts. :)

Mercen-X
12-29-2012, 05:09 AM
It's Team Awesome. I picked a bang up team and I expect us to win.

At least someone has enthusiasm, I fully expect a loss.

Honestly, I felt this way too. But then they bought my lie. Now I'm overconfident.

...wait. That might be a bad thing.

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
They bought my lie too, but I still fully expect a loss.

Mercen-X
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
"Here lies Formalhaut. He was a pessimist, don't ya know?"

I never thought of myself as a convincing liar.

Raistlin
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm on vacation and don't have much time online, but I'll give some quick input. I thought Form's statement ringed true, as it would be a very clumsy lie for Bleys to write. But some of his later responses ring false, though he could just be a bad story teller who wrote a very misleading statement as "true". I'm currently on the fence, but would vote true if I had to.

1. I still don't understand the point of the marijuana. Did the cops find it? If so, when? What happened to your friend?

2. When did you find out your friend had the pot?

3. Did the police actually pull you over or were you just stopped along with everyone else at a checkpoint? If the latter, what did the police say to you? Why did you drive through the same checkpoint twice?

4. What did the police say when they came to your door?

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I realise my statement is probably the worst in existence. Sorry about that.

1. The cops didn't find it, otherwise we'd be in the police station most probably. My cousin had it stuffed under his clothing and he was in the back seat, they didn't pull us over specifically it was just a checkpoint-type thing so everyone was being pulled over to check for escaped convicts. It was just a quick peer in the car and the boot. As for the third visit by the same officer, he didn't have weed under his shirt any-more because it wasn't necessary. Also, the officer was just warning us that there was a convict on the loose and that you'd have to be careful. By this point he actually knew us and we nodded in recognition.

2. When we entered his house, his parents were out having an anniversary meal, so us two had the house to ourselves. We basically just had fun playing games mostly and listening to music, but about an hour into the fun, he produced two small money bags worth of weed from his room (he must have transferred them from his clothing to his room). Argument ensued and he said sorry, and put them back in his room, probably in a cupboard.

3. We were stopped at a checkpoint, I hoped this was one thing I have made clear. They said to us that an escaped convict escaped from the local prison and that police are searching for him. They said that standard procedure meant that the major roads out of Bournemouth all had checkpoints on them. They then proceded to open the boot and just give a quick peer in to check for suspicious blankets. They then sent us on our way.

I had to go through the checkpoint twice. The first time was heading out of Bournemouth (Because my cousin's house was on the outskirts) and then we had some fun at his house. I of course had to head back to my house, and I used the same road because it was quickest. That then, is twice through the checkpoint.

Jinx
12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
When did this happen?

Raistlin
12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
First off, the statement says "pulled over" by the same cop three times, which the story contradicts. It also says "large amounts of marijuana," which Form also contradicts by calling it two small baggies. If this is a true statement, it is misleading to the point of fabrication (unless he's lying here or trying to make it sound like he's lying, of course). The "escaped convict" story also sounds bogus.

On the other hand, if it's a lie, it's a very clumsily written and told lie. I'm still tempted to vote true if only because I don't think Form would do such a bad job at lying (why an incredibly rare fugitive checkpoint instead of a drunk driving checkpoint, for instance), but it's a tough call. I might be giving him too much credit. :p

Last questions:

1. What description of the escaped prisoner were you given? What was his name? Were you given or shown a picture?

2. What did the police tell you about how the prisoner escaped? Did you see anything about this story on the news later, or hear about it from any other source?

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Sam

I'm pretty sure I said that it was last year or so.

Raistlin

1. At the checkpoint, we weren't told much, because the whole point of the checkpoint was to check the convict was in the car, not telling people to be careful, though we were told something along the lines of that a convict escaped from prison yesterday and that police were looking for him, and that their checking all the major roads. When Officer Coincidence knocked on the door, their mission became less "finding the perp" and more warning people of his presence. They showed us a photo of the convict and that if we see him, do not approach and to call the police immediately. As for his name, I can't really remember from last year, though at the time I didn't really care for his name, just his face.

2. The police were very vague about how he escaped, I would assume it's not something they like to discuss to the general public. There's a reason why police are so tight-lipped during major cases, as they don't want any info they give to be used against them or cause an uproar. At the time, we were told that the convict had an accomplice and they broke out of prison. That's as much as we were told. This also explains why they were searching cars I guess.

I don't really watch the news much, not then and not now. Far too depressing. At the time was very nonchalant about these sort of things, call it arrogance, but I didn't think at all that a convict would be knocking on our cousin's door. I didn't think much of it at the time, so aside from the police activity, I didn't watch the news, or research about it.

Everyone

Like, half an hour after sending my statement to Bleys, my mind went "Oh smurf" after realising how badly worded my statement was. To be honest, I wasn't really thinking that hard, I just wrote down the basics and sent them off. I probably should have thought about it abit better :|

I might be giving him too much credit :p

Oh thanks Raist :roll2

Citizen Bleys
12-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Raist's true goal in that statement was to insult both of us in the event that this flips lie, and get away with it because "it might have been true"

Jinx
12-31-2012, 03:37 AM
While I'm inclined to go with true on this one, I think it's awfully suspicious that Formalhaut turned 17 in February, and the driving age in England is 17, and this was supposed to have happened a year ago.

Any thoughts, team?

Formalhaut
12-31-2012, 03:40 AM
Can I just say, I turn 18 very soon indeed, and when I said "a year ago" I didn't obviously mean to the letter. When this happened, I just passed by driving test.

Jinx
12-31-2012, 03:43 AM
Hm, I did consider that. Well, in that case:

##Vote: Truth

Rantz
12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Also leaning towards truth for this one. It seems like Raist is, too, but I'll give him a chance to get a final word in before I cast the team's vote.

Raistlin
12-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I also vote true. If it was a lie, it was strangely written and told very sloppily, and I'm giving both Bleys and Form a little credit here.*

*Mostly so I have someone to blame if I'm wrong.

Jinx
12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Our team is finally in agreement!

Sweet. :)

Rantz
12-31-2012, 10:46 PM

Citizen Bleys
01-01-2013, 03:47 AM
Not a bad effort, Formalhaut.

As you may have guessed, Formalhaut's Cop Conflict is

A LIE

Mercen-X's PM going out as soon as I roll the numbers.

Formalhaut
01-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Aha! My tactic of being absolutely terrible totally worked! I'm am incredibly, incredibly surprised. I even fooled Sam, and that is very difficult... :D

Jiro
01-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Great job, Formalhaut! :aimsun:

Rantz
01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Well I never!

Jinx
01-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Aha! My tactic of being absolutely terrible totally worked! I'm am incredibly, incredibly surprised. I even fooled Sam, and that is very difficult... :D

Stop depreciating yourself all of the time.

So what's the real story? :)

Formalhaut
01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
As it happens, I can't drive, I've never met any cousins, and technically I've never actually spoken to a police officer. Both of Bleys's lies were for me, incredibly difficult for me to do, because it's so out of my area of knowledge! I have to say I'm rather pleased with myself given the difficulty of the messages.

By deliberately being very helpful on the first statement, then being helpful but questionably idiotic the next, I hoped to cause confusion. I didn't cause confusion, I actually caused agreement, which thankfully went in my favour!

Citizen Bleys
01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I would have leveraged the hell out of the no license thing to explain the trouble with Johnny Law.

Fun fact: This lie is actually based on something that actually did happen to my father. 3 times in the same day at 3 different liquor stores, he got pulled over after leaving the parking lot because the cop saw him and thought he looked underage (he was, at the time). All 3 times it was the same cop, all 3 times he got his beer confiscated, and all 3 times he had a buddy in the back seat who had a lot of weed on him.

Formalhaut
01-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I would have leveraged the hell out of the no license thing to explain the trouble with Johnny Law.

Fun fact: This lie is actually based on something that actually did happen to my father. 3 times in the same day at 3 different liquor stores, he got pulled over after leaving the parking lot because the cop saw him and thought he looked underage (he was, at the time). All 3 times it was the same cop, all 3 times he got his beer confiscated, and all 3 times he had a buddy in the back seat who had a lot of weed on him.

I could have, but I thought I'd go with the "insane axe murderer escaped from prison" tactic, because if your going to lie, you might as well lie big. Who knows, they might think the story so crazy, so implausible, they might just fall for it.

Citizen Bleys
01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Update: Jiro's not coming back. He's appointed Formalhaut as a replacement captain.

@Formalhaut: Do you want me to call for a replacement this close to endgame, or do you think you're OK with 2 for the final round?

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
My God. I've never been in such a position of responsibility before... *shudder*

Um... so, how many rounds are there left? Is there just one set of two left? I know Mercen-X is going to do his statement shortly; after him: how many left? I shall decide then, though for now assume that we shall soldier on with two. Gives us a good excuse if we undoubtedly lose anyway :p

Citizen Bleys
01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
After Mercen-X's statement, all 3 members of Team Rantz will make statements that you'll have to decide are true or false. The only advantage to replacing in a third member would be for in-team discussions and to make the setup for Game 2 go according to the original plan instead of adjusting it for Jiro's departure. (That's my problem, not yours, and I already have a solution)

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Well, whatever is easiest in terms of the original plan, and because I'd hate for Jiro's departure to change the plan so to speak, go ahead and include a replacement.

I wonder who it will be... hmm..

Mercen-X
01-03-2013, 01:03 AM
I saw my first corpse (outside of a wake) when I was twelve.
My uncle had been on pain killers for roughly four years since an injury left him unable to work. He'd been collecting on wokman's comp to help support his family while my aunt worked. He'd a history of spousal abuse and child neglect up until the injury and had sought religion to reinvigorate his role as a husband and father. He'd become very respectable, loving, and non-violent. There was one time when my aunt asked for something and when he tossed to her without looking, it hit her in the head and she screamed causing his two 20-year-old to attack him to defend their mother. Nothing serious. Afterward my uncle told us he was proud of his boys.
However, the feeling of neglect had come back to slap him in the face. Where he'd once neglected his kids, they now seemed to disregard his existence. His wife seemed to only half-care. Their youngest daughter was the only light in his life, but that still wasn't bright enough. Eventually, everything toppled down on him like an avalanche and he couldn't take life anymore. He took his life one night while his oldest daughter lay sleeping in the room below. She heard it and called the police.

My parents and I got the call too and came in just as his body was being carted out. Though he was zipped up in a body bag, my hysterical aunt insisted on seeing him and we all watched as she unzipped the bag. We all would rather not have had that image of my uncle as his final remembrance. To this day, we all look to my youngest cousin as the final reminder of my uncle, since she looks so much like him as a kid.

Formalhaut
01-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Way to set off the New Year WILTY statement with a case of death and morbidity...

Jinx
01-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Wow, that's, erm...

Why did you go with them? What did you do when you saw? Why were you in the room to see?

Mercen-X
01-03-2013, 01:42 AM
I had no one else to look after me and really it was my mom who brought me whereas my dad arrived to meet us. I didn't go in anywhere. We were out on the lawn when he was being carted out. I was fine up til I saw his face, then I struggled to figure out what happened because no one had told us yet. That hole was apparently a bullet wound. I've watched a lot of graphic violence movies, but this was the first time I'd seen a shooting victim this close. Later on at the wake where he was covered, my grandma was also insistent on seeing his face although he'd been cleaned up a bit as compared to when I'd seen him. We all rushed to stop her, my parents, my aunt, the director... everyone in the room sought to protect my grandma from that image. My cousins, his two oldest, hadn't seen him yet, so there were at least two others we were still protecting.

Way to set off the New Year WILTY statement with a case of death and morbidity...
Blame Bleys. It's his system.

Jinx
01-03-2013, 01:47 AM
##Vote: True

This has nothing to do with an emotional vote, but I do think it's true.

Raistlin
01-04-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm leaning truth as well. Hell, they've rolled lie almost every time. Truth is bound to be right at some point. /statisticalfallacy

Do you remember exactly when this happened? Roughly what time of day did he kill himself?

Rantz
01-04-2013, 12:30 AM
The only thing that makes me lean in any direction whatsoever is the parentheses in the original statement. They seem very Bleys-like and not at all Mercen-X-like. I don't remember seeing Mercen-X using parentheses ever, while Bleys makes pretty frequent use of them in just that manner. This makes me lean towards lie, because I don't think Mercen-X would think to emulate Bleys' style of writing.

I don't really have any questions because wtf. Mercen-X's explanation are so weird that for me, any guess based on those is a toss-up.

Mercen-X
01-04-2013, 12:32 AM
It was roughly the end of July and we never thought to ask my cousin what time she heard her father shoot himself that night. I don't really remember though if she had said she woke up to the sound or if she was doing something else.

I don't remember seeing Mercen-X using parentheses ever, while Bleys makes pretty frequent use of them in just that manner. Not to be nitpicky, but do you mean during the course of this game? Because I do use parentheses fairly frequently. I try not to feel miffed you don't know that. I say I try because frankly I don't know your habits either so who am I to pass judgment?

Rantz
01-04-2013, 12:42 AM
I don't remember seeing Mercen-X using parentheses ever, while Bleys makes pretty frequent use of them in just that manner. Not to be nitpicky, but do you mean during the course of this game? Because I do use parentheses fairly frequently. I try not to feel miffed you don't know that. I say I try because frankly I don't know your habits either so who am I to pass judgment?

I meant in general. It's possible that I just haven't noticed. I just don't recognise it as your regular typing style.

Mercen-X
01-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Ah. By the way Rantz, you're out of time for asking questions if I'm not too much mistaken. I'll guess we'll see if you're wrong or right, eh?

Formalhaut
01-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Forgot this game still existed for a second. Well, everyone's saying truth from the looks of it. Wake me up when it's our turn to interrogate. :eep:

Raistlin
01-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Rantz actually makes a good point, and Mercen-X's response seem to also indicate lie (although glancing at his EoEO threads, he does seem to use parentheses). But his responses to my questions are very genuine sounding.

It's really tough to judge. If I had to pick, I'd say truth, if only because his style changed completely from his last hot seat round. But he says so many things it's hard to tell. This also shows how it's really difficult to play this game with people you don't know at all.

EDIT: Dammit, now Form's post, if he knows (which may not be the case), would make me think lie. Oh well, it's dinner time and I'm too hungry to think about this anymore, so I'll stick with my vote. IT'S ALL ON YOU, RANTZ.

Citizen Bleys
01-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Ah. By the way Rantz, you're out of time for asking questions if I'm not too much mistaken. I'll guess we'll see if you're wrong or right, eh?

The deadline doesn't mean you're not allowed to answer, just that you aren't obliged to and can now pick and choose what to respond to.

Mercen-X
01-04-2013, 01:38 AM
I'm saying that they neglected to ask questions and therefore it's over.

Citizen Bleys
01-04-2013, 02:02 AM
No rush, Rantz; I'm on my way out the door for Thirsty Thursday and won't be posting the result/picking the next hotseat occupant for at least 12-14 hours since that's not really doable on mobile.

Rantz
01-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Well, since Raist's sticking with truth but seems to be on the fence, and I'm on the fence but leaning towards lie... I'd like to see if Sam's still sticking with truth with recent posts taken into consideration. If she posts a conclusive vote and I'm not back before Bleys has an opportunity to post the result (seeing as it's about bedtime in Swedenland), you can take her vote as the team's vote.

Mercen-X
01-04-2013, 02:24 AM
What if she doesn't post anything? I'm getting anxious. Somebody post something. Anything. Truth. Lie. Whatever. I just want the suspense to end. I've always wanted to say "I'm 2 for 2," without it being facetious.

Jinx
01-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Dude. The pressure, Rantz. ;-;

I'm on the fence as well, but leaning more towards truth.

Rantz
01-04-2013, 02:35 AM
Well, I didn't know you were online. That's good enough for me. :p

Formalhaut
01-04-2013, 02:39 AM
:nod:

Mercen-X
01-04-2013, 02:56 AM
So... what do we do for 14 hours?

Formalhaut
01-04-2013, 02:57 AM
Just relax. You earned it Mercen!

Rantz
01-04-2013, 02:57 AM
We relax. I'm gonna sleep.

Citizen Bleys
01-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Well, since Raist's sticking with truth but seems to be on the fence, and I'm on the fence but leaning towards lie... I'd like to see if Sam's still sticking with truth with recent posts taken into consideration. If she posts a conclusive vote and I'm not back before Bleys has an opportunity to post the result (seeing as it's about bedtime in Swedenland), you can take her vote as the team's vote.

Only the captain's vote, properly formatted counts, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't tell if it's properly formatted on mobile, so I guess we all wait for the morrow.

EDIT: That's only *partially* motivated by a desire to make Merc sweat

Citizen Bleys
01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
It is, in fact

A LIE

Next up: Raistlin

Rantz
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
The parentheses! Damnit, the parentheses! D:

Formalhaut
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
The parentheses! Damnit, the parentheses! D:

When you mentioned parenthesis, I went "damn! Hope they don't focus on that so much"

Thank goodness you didn't!

Raistlin
01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I stopped going out for dinner with my grandfather after the fifth time he got us kicked out of a restaurant for racism.

Formalhaut
01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Hmmm... okay. So is that the fifth time he got you kicked out in total, or the fifth time he got you kicked out specifically because of racism?

So what sort of things was he saying on all five occasions? Any particular race or culture he doesn't like? What did the staff and other patrons say?

Also, how did you let him know that you weren't comfortable with going out to dinner with him anymore? how did he react? Are you still on good terms?

Jinx
01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Jiro's grandma and Raist's grandpa should hang out.I bet they'd have a lot to talk about.

Raistlin
01-06-2013, 04:36 AM
Hmmm... okay. So is that the fifth time he got you kicked out in total, or the fifth time he got you kicked out specifically because of racism?

I guess to be totally honest it would have to be about the fifth time total. Loud, racist comments generally contributed to the staff of these places coming over to talk to him, but it wasn't until he would argue about it with the staff that we'd be asked to leave. And a couple of times he just blew up and said he's leaving and never coming back to that place, but I am certain we were going to be asked to be kicked out if he didn't.

So what sort of things was he saying on all five occasions? Any particular race or culture he doesn't like? What did the staff and other patrons say?

Blacks and Muslims, mostly. He's none too fond of Mexicans either for "taking 'er jerbs," as he was a farmer for most of his life. But he really hates Obama, and he believes everything Fox News has ever said. He's a Birther, as some people may know. We've been approached by staff the most when he goes off on an anti-Obama tirade that involves ethnic slurs, such as accusing Obama of being a terrorist with the rest of the towel-heads.

The other patrons generally haven't said much, beyond throwing glances our way. Some of them may have said something in the instances where I was fairly young, but I don't remember; I generally just looked down and hoped he'd quiet down. The staff would approach him and ask him to quiet down. Because he's a old man who does what he wants (he never even looks in the mirror when he backs up his truck), he'll argue back about the First Amendment and other bullshit arguments. That's usually when he's asked to leave.

Also, how did you let him know that you weren't comfortable with going out to dinner with him anymore? how did he react? Are you still on good terms?

I didn't. I just started making excuses any given time he asked me (which started becoming fairly rare after I grew up anyway), and we just stopped. Outside of the occasional comment as I got older, I didn't really try to argue with him, as it was pointless. I am actually still on very good terms with him, and just saw him over the holidays.

Formalhaut
01-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Well, this is tricky, because unlike my statements where there's a very distinct possibility of catching me out, this one is very hard to get wrong.

My gut is telling me truth, but then as we all know, Bleys is quite a fan of the "Old relative racist" card. Looking back over previous statements, Jiro's racist grandmother was a lie, kind of. Would Bleys do another statement that is slightly similar? I'm not so sure. I would love to hear from my team mates who might be able to shed new light on this situation.

My next questions: When was the last time he went on a restaurant tirade with you? Basically, how far back are we looking for this? Also, you say your grandfather was a farmer, which, not talking stereotypes here, might be a contributing factor for his racist mentality. Was his relatives also in the farming industry, and did they have any racist sentiments? I'm guessing he's not only racist in restaurants; what does your dad or other relatives say about this? Not just you of course, but their views.

Mercen-X
01-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Where is your grandmother in all this? Her participation, her feelings, etc.

Formalhaut
01-06-2013, 05:33 AM

Good point actually. :)

Raistlin
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
My next questions: When was the last time he went on a restaurant tirade with you? Basically, how far back are we looking for this?

I would go out with my grandfather since I was very young, as far back as I can remember (when I was about 3, when we moved back to the east coast from Colorado). For nearly the next twenty years, we were only asked/forced to leave from a couple of places, that I was with him anyway. He became worse as time went on. The last time I went out with him was over three years ago.

Was his relatives also in the farming industry, and did they have any racist sentiments?

I have no idea. I believe his parents were also farmers, but they died before I was born. He was estranged from his sister, who I never met before she died.

I'm guessing he's not only racist in restaurants; what does your dad or other relatives say about this?

My dad isn't in the picture, though my mom (his daughter) used to try to quiet him down when we were out in public, but wouldn't argue or stand up to him. As far as family goes, my grandfather only ever consistently interacted with his wife and several daughters (and their families), all of whom won't stand up to him. He's only had a very tenuous, off-and-on relationship with his only son, and they'd be too busy arguing about personal things to discuss politics/racism.

My grandmother is a very nice, mild mannered old woman who doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She used to become a little exasperated when they're out in public and would beg him to be quiet, but, again, otherwise would not stand up to him. At home during any tirades, she just won't say anything. My grandfather is now pretty much stuck at home thanks to health issues (he has to use a walker and can only get around very slowly), so the home tirades while watching the news are pretty much all she has to deal with now.

Mercen-X
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
How do you feel about blacks, Muslims, or Mexicans? Do you have any friends by such ethnicities?

Citizen Bleys
01-06-2013, 11:33 PM
The deadline expired on the exact minute that Mercen-X posted that question -- Raist has to answer that one, but can refuse to respond to all others.

My timezone-fu is shot. The timer's expired now, but there was still a full hour left on the clock when Mercen-X posted his question.

Raistlin
01-06-2013, 11:43 PM
How do you feel about blacks, Muslims, or Mexicans? Do you have any friends by such ethnicities?

I have a black friend, and even let him use my bathroom once. I don't like Mexicans, though; I mean, have you seen NCG's posts?

I couldn't give a fuck about race.

Formalhaut
01-06-2013, 11:47 PM

By extension, have you ever brought any friends around, or have them around with your grandfather present?

If your grandmother appears so different from your grandfather in terms of morals and ethics, what made them attracted to each other? How do they still bond?

And with that, I now have no more questions to answer. I'm really stuck, Rantz hasn't said anything that makes me think either lie or truth. While my statement had definite holes in it, this one is watertight. Tricky. As of now, I would lean towards lie, if literally only because of the grandmother/grandfather clash. But then again, I've seen more surprising match-ups...

I'd love to hear what Quin's view on this would be. I shall strike the vote down once Mercen and Quin has given their individual votes.

Raistlin
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Optional questions???? How brazen! Fine, fine, I'll answer your optional questions.

By extension, have you ever brought any friends around, or have them around with your grandfather present?

I honestly cannot remember a single instance where I brought a friend over to my grandparents' house, or had a friend around my grandfather. I'm sure it happened at some point when I was very young and lived nearby, but that hasn't been since I was 7. I've lived a ways away since then, so most of the time I'm in that area it's just to visit relatives.

If your grandmother appears so different from your grandfather in terms of morals and ethics, what made them attracted to each other?

smurf if I know. I can't imagine she's indifferent to his "morals" in general, just to his bigotry. As much as I demand an intellectual connection and similar values, most people don't, especially back in the '40s/'50s. It's pretty traditional: he's the man and head of the house and she's the housewife. She might even agree with him on some things, but just doesn't like being embarrassed about public outbursts.

How do they still bond?

With his poor health, he pretty much just stays in the house and she takes care of them. They seem to get along ok, though I would not have described their relationship as particularly "loving" for as long as I can remember. He has a lot less energy now than he used to, and this winter when I was up there was never any ranting and they seemed ok. Although we were just watching football instead of the news.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Hrm... thanks Raist. Virtually everything you have said I cannot contradict in anyway, so I guess truth on this. Not my official vote Bleys by the way.

I shall hear the verdict of my two co-members and I shall make my decision. Might take awhile with Quin though :p

Citizen Bleys
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Not my official vote Bleys by the way.

That's why multiple BBCodes are required to make an official vote--do discern between the official vote as captain and just stating a for-now opinion. You can't vote by accident.

Mercen-X
01-07-2013, 03:00 AM
I don't know. I'm leaning lie. I'm sorry, it just doesn't come off as all that interesting. I mean, I suppose Bleys' lies have all been pretty out there so I should be leaning truth by that logic. But Raist's story just seems to be a hugely vague compilation of generalised statements and observations you can see on television or read about in a book. Of course, I suppose that's the beauty of it. Tell the truth in a such a general and unspecified way it could easily be seen either way.

Still ##VOTE: LIE

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 03:04 AM
But Raist's story just seems to be a hugely vague compilation of generalised statements and observations

See, I did have this niggling in the back of my mind. Nothing really stands out. It is very generalised, and seems...very vanilla. Still, I am very on the fence with this, I would love to hear Quin's opinion on this before settling down on either side. His opinion might swing me either way ;)

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Based on what I know of Raistlin - which is almost nothing - and the answers given - which provide me with nothing due to the aforementioned lack of knowledge about Raistlin - I'm going to call him a dirty, cheatin' liar.

##VOTE:LIE

Maybe I should have read all those LJs when they were around. :D

Mercen-X
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I've doomed us all. :erm: lol

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Okay, Team Quinhaut-X summary:

Mercen - X: ​##VOTE: Lie

Quinter Wonderland: ##VOTE: Lie

So, based on my co-member's verdicts, I guess it's safe to say I am also voting...

Formalhaut: ##VOTE: Lie

Now watch as Rantz and co poke fun at us for being idiots :roll2

Citizen Bleys
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
WesLY's racist granddad is...

A LIE

Next up will be Tifa's Boobs

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh wow! We got it right! High five team! :cheer:

Jinx
01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I was once so engrossed in a video game, I failed to notice that my basement, with me in it, was flooding.
I was once so engrossed in a video game, I failed to notice that my basement, with me in it, was flooding.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
For the record, I think we should be call HautQuin-X, because it sounds like a B-movie porno. :D

What was the date that you suffered flooding? What was the game? Where were you in the game when you noticed the flooding? Where was the flooding coming from? Where did you live at the time? Answer me, or you're going in the slammer! *slams fist on desk*

Jinx
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
What was the date that you suffered flooding? What was the game? Where were you in the game when you noticed the flooding? Where was the flooding coming from? Where did you live at the time?

Not sure of the date, but it would've been in September or early October of 1999. The game was Mario 64. I dunno, I was 8, and totally trout at the game. But my cousins played it all the time on their Nintendo, so I really wanted a copy for ours. The flooding was coming from the hurricane we were having. My family was living in Queens, New York at the time. I was in the basement because that's where our game/family room was.

Answer me, or you're going in the slammer! *slams fist on desk*

I'd like to see you try, big boy. :aimkiss:

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Was it only you in the house?

When you did notice the flooding, how high was the water?

How fast was the water coming out? Was it creating a noise?

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Hm. I have no idea about the history of New York hurricanes, haha. Am I allowed to Google? xD

I'm confused. Were you playing it round your cousins' house, or had you gotten a copy for yourself?

Oh, one more thing, before I forget, was the hurricane named? :columbo:

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Hm. I have no idea about the history of New York hurricanes, haha. Am I allowed to Google? xD

I'm confused. Were you playing it round your cousins' house, or had you gotten a copy for yourself?

Do as much research as you need :holmes:

Mercen-X
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM

A LIE

AWESOME! I am awesome!

Sam: What was your reaction when you noticed the flooding? Where were your parents? What was their reactions?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 08:36 PM

A LIE

AWESOME! I am awesome!

Sam: What was your reaction when you noticed the flooding? Where were your parents? What was their reactions?

I ran up stairs and told my parents! xD They were upstairs, and their general reaction was, "Fuuuuck." Same with my grandparents. We went downstairs and tried to get some of our valuables (records, gaming systems, books, etc) upstairs just in case, but that's about all we could do.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Was it only you in the house?

When you did notice the flooding, how high was the water?

How fast was the water coming out? Was it creating a noise?

You may have been blinded by Mercen's jubilant expression, so perhaps you missed my set of questions! You've answered the first question by association with Mercen's, but I'll reiterate:

When you noticed the flooding, how high was the water?

How fast was the water coming out? Was it a slow drip, or a more gushing action? Was it creating a noise?

When your parents noticed the water, was the problem easily fixed, or did your parents have to call a plumber? If you called expert attention, how long did it take for he/she to fix the problem and order to be restored?

Finally, I'll also reiterate Quin's questions which you may have missed as well.

Jinx
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
No, my parents and my grandparents were there.

Not that fast. Like, it wasn't like the Titanic or some shit. It was just seeping in the windows. It had just created a very large puddle at the time. A plumber for a basement, in the middle of a hurricane? xD No. They tried sealing off the windows as best they could, and we removed our more damageable stuff in case.

Quin, it was my copy. Just that I'd been envying it all summer. Also, seeing as this was like...13 years ago, I have no idea. I could look it up if you really want to know that badly.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Would I call a really large puddle a flood? Doubtful. But just to clarify:

How large (roughly) was this puddle? Ideally, rough figures would be great

How long did it take for the "puddle" to drain or evaporate away?

That's that. I find it hard to believe a child, even an eight year old, would be completely so engrossed in a game she wouldn't even look back from time to time to check how the hurricane's doing. While sure it's not a category three or four hurricane, but surely the wild winds and torrential downpours must have grabbed your attention at some point right?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I knew there was a hurricane, but I didn't have school! xD I went to school out on Long Island (long story) and basically the city was shut down. We still had power until quite a bit later.

Also, by large puddle, I mean small pound. Our basement was also huge, and divided into two rooms. The large room was divided into two sections (because of bookshelves.) The puddle was on the other side. The part of the basement with the tv was in the middle section. I had to go to the bathroom, and noticed the puddle coming in from the first section (where the stairs were.) That's when I ran upstairs and told my parents what was going on.

After we got our stuff out of the basement and attempted to bind the windows, we mopped up the puddle that was there. We didn't just leave it!

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
What I'm getting at is that New York has pretty rough hurricanes, the named ones being the worst. While it was a while back, I figure the city had evacuation procedures in place. How come your family hadn't bailed? Or, at the very least, not left their child in the basement unattended? Please call your family immediately. :colbert:

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Maybe it's just be focusing on semantics so much, but if someone told me that the basement was "flooded", I wouldn't be bring my mop and bucket. :p

I have also never heard of the term "Small pound", so I guess my next question was:

What is the meaning of the term "Small Pound"

Jinx
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
What I'm getting at is that New York has pretty rough hurricanes, the named ones being the worst. While it was a while back, I figure the city had evacuation procedures in place. How come your family hadn't bailed? Or, at the very least, not left their child in the basement unattended? Please call your family immediately. :colbert:

Dude, really? They name every tropical storm and hurricane. And no, they didn't evacuate the city. At least they didn't evacuate Queens, I dunno if they evacuated Manhattan or not. They probably shut transport down. We just holed up in our house (which was a 4 story house, if you include the basement. Or 2 stories, a basement, and an attic. Whichever floats your boat.)

Also, I was eight years old! I did stuff on my own all the time. My parents weren't/aren't they liberal types who feel the need to smother their children and feel that everything is dangerous and a child must be coddled at all times. I played outside and did shit on my own all the time. I don't know how a child being in a basement when the house is full of four adults is in any way unsafe. xD

Also, Formalhaut, that was a typo. I meant small pond*

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Ah, see I was thinking "pond", but didn't want to jump to conclusions. Thanks Sam! :)

So, you would mop up a small pond with a mop? I'm still confused with the actual "dimensions" of this water.

How "thick" was the water? Was it only surface water or was it any higher, like up to you ankles or whatever?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 09:47 PM
It was probably a couple inches. That's there the puddle-ness comes in. It was large in area, not deep, which was why it was mop-able.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Oh man, so they do! I thought they only named the massive ones that were worth a damn. Nifty. Also, "liberal". xD

What were your family up to when you went up to tell them about the flooding?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Oh man, so they do! I thought they only named the massive ones that were worth a damn. Nifty. Also, "liberal". xD

What were your family up to when you went up to tell them about the flooding?

I dunno. They were in the dining room talking. Adult stuff.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
It was probably a couple inches. That's there the puddle-ness comes in. It was large in area, not deep, which was why it was mop-able.

Hmm, fair enough. Now that's it's explained clearly, it certainly sounds more plausible, given the rain water would have "trickled" and "seeped" into the basement. Just one thing troubles me...

I was once so engrossed in a video game, I failed to notice that my basement, with me in it, was flooding

The statement explicitly states "flooding", which was what got me confused in the first place. Now, it's been retracted down into "large puddle" and then up slightly to "Small pond" which was "easily mop-able". Also, I measured a couple inches with my ruler off a flat floor, and I'm assuming it was a couple inches throughout the basement floor. A couple inches still looks fairly high to just mop up. I measured up to 4 inches, and that's very high, ankle height actually. Even dropping down to 3 inches is a fair amount of water, both in depth and in size. For reference for my co-members:

___________________________________________________ About 4 Inches
______________________________________ About 3 Inches

Now imagine that vertically. For me, that's plenty amount of water.

The use of three different words to describe the same thing troubles me slightly. Not irreparably so, but it has damaged my confidence in the statement.

How long did it take to mop up?

How heavy was the rain? Be as descriptive as possible

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Well, I've done asking what I need to ask. I'll keep an eye on any further questions and answers, though.

Oh, one more thing. You said you had the day off school, right? I'm not familiar with American schooling levels, so would that be high school? Kindergarten? Or would it be...

...elementary. :holmes:

Jinx
01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
It wasn't throughout the whole basement. Also, I really don't know how deep it was, because we didn't measure. It was starting to spread, and puddle/small pond are the same thing, honestly.

I dunno how long it took. Maybe 10 minutes, I'd guess.

Also, it was hurricane rain! It was heavy!

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 11:14 PM
So it goes from "couple inches" to "The hell if I know!" Mhrm. Okay. In terms of questioning, I can't think of anything else to comment on, so I shall abstain until I hear final opinions and verdicts from Quin and Mercen.

Were I to vote now, the inconsistencies and retractions for me ring false, but then again, Sam is a very good player at this, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Finally, while it may seem like I'm badgering you Sam, it's all in good fun! It's more incredulity than annoyance :D

Mercen-X
01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Sam: approximately how old are you now? 20s or so?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm 21.

Mercen-X
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Would you consider your memory to be usually reliable?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Would you consider your memory to be usually reliable?

Not particularly. There are some members on here who can tell you I forget things week to week, and often ask them the same question over and over again.

Regardless, this is THIRTEEN YEARS we are talking.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I'll post my vote now, since I'm going to sleep and may not return in time. I'll chuck it in spoilers, and Formalhaut can have a gander when he wants to make his decision.

Everything about the story is believable. The idea of a child being somewhat oblivious to their surroundings whilst playing a game is completely reasonable, haha. Sam doesn't remember or know bits that I expect a child to not remember or know, and remembers what I would expect a child to remember. The only reason I wouldn't believe is because Sam's saying it, and she's a crafty beggar on her worst days. ;)

##VOTE: TRUE, though I'm happy for you to say it's a lie if the rest of you lean that way. :D

Formalhaut
What members are we talking about here? Any evidence to support your lack of memory (Which I probably share) would be great!

Mercen-X
Would you consider this event to have been a little jarring?

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
As for Quin's opinion, I have forgotten that this was when she just 8. How convenient, yet possibly explains why she cannot remember specifics, and her memory is slightly hazy.. Hmm... I'll have to think some more.

Jinx
01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
What members are we talking about here? Any evidence to support your lack of memory (Which I probably share) would be great!

I'm not providing a list. Basically most people on the forum I've talked to one-on-one.

Would you consider this event to have been a little jarring?

Not really? I wasn't ever in harm's way. And considering my parents and grandparents were in the house, once I let them know, they took care of the situation. If I had've been home alone, maybe.

Mercen-X
01-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Does your family ever talk about this event for any reason?

Jinx
01-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Does your family ever talk about this event for any reason?

Eh, not particularly. But, I've talked about my family on here before. They're more interested in gossiping and bad-mouthing each other, so something that happened x years ago that wasn't about each other...not really that interesting, honestly.

Not to mention this wasn't the first time they had a hurricane and their basement got some flooding.

Mercen-X
01-08-2013, 04:23 AM
I'm drawing a blank. I'm going to say this is a lie simply because I don't like Mario 64. Good luck, team.

##VOTE LIE

Formalhaut
01-08-2013, 04:47 AM
I hate it when it's a majority decision. Right, team Quinhaut-X have thusly spoken:

Mercen-X: ##VOTE: Lie

Quinter Wonderland: ##VOTE: Truth

Right, my decision is based on the actual reasons behind their voting. Mercen's is based on Mario 64. While Quin's reasons are much more detailed. While I have many nagging doubts about Sam's credibility, I can't help but be swayed by Quin, so therefore, the majority vote lies in:

Formalhaut: ##VOTE: Truth

And I'm not confident on that one either.

Mercen-X
01-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Actually, I don't think someone with Sam's faulty memory would actually recall an event as insignificant as she makes this out to be. To remember, either she'd have to remember the details or her memory would have to be more reliable.

:p

Citizen Bleys
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
The Super Mario Flood is...

A LIE

((Although it is in a sense true because it did happen to me. The flood was from a water heater malfunction and the game was Turtles in Time.))

One statement left in the game, either Team Formalhaut takes the trophy or we'll have a SUPER EXCITING sudden death round where the defending team gets a game-winning point if the attacking team gets it wrong.

No pressure, Rantz.

Quindiana Jones
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
God damnit, Formy!

:shifty:

Good job, Sam. I bloody knew it was too good to be true. xD

Jinx
01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Honestly, everything EXCEPT the part about our basement flooding was completely true.

Formalhaut
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Damn it! I knew there was something not quite right with the statement! Should have believed in myself, fancy that.

Oh well it was well played anyway from Sam! :D

Good job, Sam. I bloody knew it was too good to be true. xD

Wait, you voted truth on this one Quin! :p

Citizen Bleys
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Honestly, everything EXCEPT the part about our basement flooding was completely true.

So, you were so engrossed in a video game that you failed to notice when nothing unusual happenned?

Jinx
01-08-2013, 05:23 PM

So, you were so engrossed in a video game that you failed to notice when nothing unusual happenned?

Er, no.

I was saying that everything about the hurricane, living in New York, my cousins and Mario 64 were true.

Formalhaut
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I think Sam's house was just built to code and didn't let water in. It helps when your living in a hurricane prone area!

Rantz
01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
I have asked a friend to call me during a date so I'd have an excuse to leave. It backfired.

My friend isn't too bright, unfortunately. I was hoping it'd play out like a normal phone conversation that gave me a believable excuse to leave. Instead, he opened by asking if I was "tired of that chick yet". I wasn't prepared for that, but I tried to like, sound out a natural conversation anyway. It went something like "What's up? ... Huh? ... Really? ... Yeah, of course, I'll be there! Hold on-". At this point I told my date that I needed to go, that it was a family emergency (stupid, but the best I could think of at the moment), and asked her if it was okay. She just looked at me with disbelief and let me know that she had heard my friend. Guess my phone volume was higher than I thought D:

Needless to say, I was left with the bill. Kinda deserved it too. :p

Formalhaut
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
When was this? Obviously not when you met Shorty of course!

So, how long did the entire conversation ordeal last for?

Did she say anything other than that look of disbelief? :eek:

Rantz
01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
When was this? Obviously not when you met Shorty of course!

So, how long did the entire conversation ordeal last for?

Did she say anything other than that look of disbelief? :eek:

Q1: It was (iirc) my third date ever. I would have been 18 or 19, I think. Definitely before I joined here.

Q2: Not very long. I'm terrible at judging timeframes, especially when it was years ago, but it was probably like 15 seconds before I addressed her. Note that I didn't hang up at this point, my friend was still on the other line and I yelled at him after she left (because naturally, at the time it seemed to be his fault).

Q3: Yeah, that's the part I remember best. She was like "Uhh... I heard that" and gave me a total colbert. I cleverly replied, "What?", and she was like "I heard that guy ask you if you were tired of me!" I tried to explain it away, but I couldn't think of anything and she cut me off mid-sentence saying she was leaving. Which she did. Awwwkward...

Quindiana Jones
01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Where was the date? What time was it? How did you meet the girl? What did she look like? What was her name? What did you look like at the time? How long had the date been going on for before your friend call? What did you and she drink and/or eat? How much was it?

Citizen Bleys
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
What is the refractive index of perovskite?

Quindiana Jones
01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
That's not relevant to the statement, Bleys.

Rantz: did the girl know the refractive index of perovskite?

Rantz
01-09-2013, 12:40 AM
1. Where was the date?
2. What time was it?
3. How did you meet the girl?
4. What did she look like?
5. What was her name?
6. What did you look like at the time?
7. How long had the date been going on for before your friend call?
8. What did you and she drink and/or eat?
9. How much was it?

1. It was an Italian restaurant of the cheaper variety. Seemed fancy enough at the time, but in hindsight it was probably kinda shabby. I dunno, I haven't been back since.
2. It was probably around 8:30 or 9 by the time I got the call from my friend.
3. We met at a house party where we talked for a while, then I ran into her at school a few days later and awkwardly asked her out.
4. She was your typical blonde, egg-shaped head... kinda large front teeth xD She was pretty cute. That's about as much detail as I can remember, to be honest. D:
5. Helena.
6. I don't remember what I wore for the actual date, but I was tall and skinny and hadn't learned to accommodate for that in my dress sense yet. :p My hair was pretty long at that time I think, almost shoulder length, way too thick. Unless it was after I cut that nest off, in which case I was probably rocking a buzzcut. Boy, I'm really selling my teenage self here, aren't I.
7. Can't remember exactly. Maybe an hour and a half, but that's a pretty wild guess. I don't have much recollection of the time.
8. I remember that we both drank water. I had some sort of creamy seafood pasta with mussels. I'm not sure what she had to eat but I think it was a salad of some kind.
9. Now you're really stretching my memory. I don't remember that at all. I would guess in the $30 range, but that's more of an estimate than a recollection.

What is the refractive index of perovskite?
nα=2.3, nβ=2.34, nγ=2.38... duh!!

Rantz: did the girl know the refractive index of perovskite?
I didn't ask, but who doesn't know that?

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 03:20 AM
The Super Mario Flood is...

A LIESee? I'm not the only one who gets screwed when MY instincts aren't followed. :p

I have asked a friend to call me during a date so I'd have an excuse to leave. It backfired.

I believe Rantz has been primarily the one to try to claim my tales as lies based on the wording Bleys used (literally) :rolleyes:
Based on the way this quote is written, I'd say it has nothing to do with Bleys. So I'm voting now.

Vote Truth

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
The one thing I don't get is that statement was:

I have asked a friend to call me during a date so I'd have an excuse to leave. It backfired

Now, I'm not one to criticise anyone's grammar, but the scenario was clearly in the Past tense. Yet the "I have asked" section is clearly present tense. There's definitely a clash here between the timelines (Starting to sound like XIII-2 here)

Now, every other statement which was a Bley's patented lie was in the correct tense for the statement. This one however, is not. Given that the story was before Rantz was even on EoFF which is quite an eternity, why then would it be in present?

I'm not saying that it's a truth, YET. Bleys could have mixed it up by deliberately confusing tenses to throw us, however I do doubt Bleys would be so conniving that only on our last go, would he do this trick.

On the other hand, Rantz could have made a slight error in his statement that was accidental. But at the end of the day, Bleys, for me, wouldn't have confused tenses together. Even if this was a Bleys lie, and and Bleys fully intended for it to be "I have asked", Rantz is with Shorty now in the present tense. I don't think Bleys would make it that strikingly obvious.

Thoughts Team?

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Calling all Quins.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
"I have asked" is fine, grammar-wise. The present perfect can be used to refer to an unspecified time before now, so it suits the sentence fine. Trust me, I'm an english teacher. :cool:

Based on Rantz's answers, my gut tells me its a lie. Plus, while "I have asked" is fine, it does seem a little more Bleysian in nature. ;)

##VOTE: LIE, but for the love of god, please bear in mind that I have a 0% win rate in this game. xD

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Oh! Fair enough. I guess it is fine, but now the question is would Rantz really write "like" that though? My natural instinct, being English, is to just write "I had asked a friend". While now I know "I have" is fine, it's a really roundabout alternative way of saying it. I'm torn now, I really thought I could capitalise on this, but now I'm not so sure.

I'll have to think about it, yet again were split. I'll return later tonight and finalise things. Summary time!

Mercen-X: ##VOTE: TRUTH

Quinter Wonderland: ##VOTE: LIE

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Point of interest: "I had asked" would be incorrect in the statement. :p

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
"I asked a friend"

##VOTE: LIE, but for the love of god, please bear in mind that I have a 0% win rate in this game. xD
Ye're quite helpful, are you not then, dearie?

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Hm. In this context, an American would use past simple (I asked) in place of present perfect (I have asked) with no qualms - as would a foreigner who learned english from an American - whereas the present perfect, in British English, is the only acceptable tense in that sentence.

I've no bloody clue where Bleys is from, to be honest. I'm pretty sure he's English, so I'm pretty sure this is a lie. Foreign speakers are more likely to use American grammar, due to the prevalence of American teachers and books. This is fun. Someone look up posts from both of them and find out how they spell "colour". :D

Citizen Bleys
01-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I've no bloody clue where Bleys is from, to be honest. I'm pretty sure he's English

:mwahaha:

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 07:17 PM
I swear I remember you telling someone off for not using "u"s. ;)

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
I think Bleys is Canadian, if SoL's visitor messages are anything to go by. I could be wrong though, because for some reason Bleys decided not to visitor message back, instead using a PM or something.

I find this one difficult, but then that's becoming a recurring theme with me. On one hand, I can sort of see how Rantz can be that inept at dating in his youth that he would do something like that, but then again I like to think Rantz has morals and ethics, and wouldn't just ditch a girl by an "emergency". Then again, I could be giving him too much credit :p

Also, while Quinter has provided great English knowledge that matches my brother out in Japan. However, based on the above point about Bleys being Canadian, I think, his point could be ineffective here. It's definitely tricky, and I am most likely wrong as I often am, but I am going say:

Mercen - X: ##VOTE: TRUTH
Quinter Wonderland: ##VOTE: LIE

Formalhaut: ##VOTE: TRUTH

I am most likely wrong on this, and if I am, I am very willing to perform seppuku.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm fine with going true. :D

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Now watch as I unsheathe my blade... :(

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Ever the pessimist.

I find this one difficult, but then that's becoming a recurring theme with me. Then again, I could be giving him too much credit.

I am most likely wrong as I often am, but I am going say: ##VOTE: TRUTH
I am most likely wrong on this, and if I am, I am very willing to perform seppuku.

Seppuku not necessary. Just stick with septiku.

Citizen Bleys
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Rantz's ungentlemanly gambit is...

A LIE

Now, I'm not one to criticise anyone's grammar, but the scenario was clearly in the Past tense. Yet the "I have asked" section is clearly present tense. There's definitely a clash here between the timelines (Starting to sound like XIII-2 here)

I had such a hard time not responding to this. I refute it thus:

"I have been, and always shall be your friend." ~ Spock, The Wrath of Khan

So after 5 rounds we have a tie game, which means we're going into sudden death, and I'm going to need some consensus here.

The original plan was to select a hotseat player completely at random, with the game deciding point going to the defending team if the attacking team got it wrong, but since Quin's replaced in late in the game and hasn't had a turn in the hotseat, I think it might be appropriate to just put him in the hotseat by default.

What's it going to be, random choice, or Quin?

If I get any sort of consensus from the 6 of you, I'll follow it. If 3 of you say random and 3 of you say Quin, the tie-breaking decision will go to the first non-Quin person to make predictions in the audience thread that I see online at the time.

Jinx
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
I knew this was a lie. xD

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 09:50 PM
*Stabs*

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 09:51 PM
If I were put in the hot seat, I would make a friendly gesture to you all now to vote lie on instinct as you would otherwise probably assume "third time's a charm" that I'd finally be revealing a truth. But you'd be wrong. I'm just that good at lying. :mwahaha:

Rantz
01-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Hah!

I'll say Quin for the lols.

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Let Quin have his turn...

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Quin I was a young man, I always wanted to Quin.
Quin collecting was a hobby I failed to keep. I take walks on occasion, but never know where I'm Quin.

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Hoist yeselves 'pon my member, turgid with smugness.

I also vote Quin, and I heard that everyone else did too.

Citizen Bleys
01-09-2013, 10:50 PM
That's a simple majority then.

Rantz, can I get you to edit the thread title to "Would I Lie To You? Game 1 SUDDEN DEATH!" ?

PM going out to Quin momentarily.

Mercen-X
01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
>_<

Quindiana Jones
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm friends with Howard Jones (a singer from the Eighties).

:smug:

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Blimey. Quick, google!!

Jinx
01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Quin's a liar.

##Vote: Lie

Rantz
01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Define "friends with"? :D

Jinx
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Define "friends with"? :D

Benefits.

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 12:03 AM
We've met, we've talked and we continue to talk sometimes. Met him a few times actually.

e; NO BUTT SEX. :mad2:

Jinx
01-10-2013, 12:05 AM
In this Friends with Benefits relationship, are you the top, or the bottom?

Rantz
01-10-2013, 12:12 AM
How did you meet?

What are your conversations like? Just general catching up or more personal?

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 01:07 AM
In this Friends with Benefits relationship, are you the top, or the bottom?

Up the bottom.

How did you meet?

What are your conversations like? Just general catching up or more personal?

He's a Buddhist and was hosting a Buddhisty thing at his house. I tagged along with my parents, just because I had nothing better to do. No, wait, I remember. My friend Dom was going, so I figured I would join him to support him in his non-Buddhistiness. It was quite fun, though. I put an owl in his pillbox. His daughter, Mica, spelled my name right without any prompting, and his son, Jasper, was a bit of a pillock. I pushed him around the garden on a pedal go-kart thing.

Just general stuff. Hi, how are you? How's the family? Is your daughter still smoking hot? Just normal stuff. I should add that we're not bffs or anything, but I know and talk to him and he knows and talks to me.

Rantz
01-10-2013, 03:07 AM
How long have you known him?

When did you last meet?

In what context do you typically "hang out" or get to talk? Do you hang out or is it more of a running into each other thing?

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Ooh, blimey. I would've met in in.... what? 2005? Sometime around then. Reckon I last met him was before I went to uni, so 2008/2009. I usually only speak to him and meet him due to other people. We'd go round his house or he'd come round ours. That's when I'd meet him. Similarly, phone calls were usually just a case of me answering the phone and politely chatting for a bit while the person he wanted to talk to got off the loo, or something.

Rantz
01-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Is he closer with one of your parents or something since he'd call your house and want to talk to somebody else?

Quindiana Jones
01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Well, yeah. He usually called on Buddhist business, as far as I'm aware.

Raistlin
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Geez, I missed last night to sleep and look at all what happens

How exactly did you meet? Who did you meet him through? Why would he call your house?

Quindiana Jones
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Think you're a bit passed the deadline, matey. ;)

But I'll answer those as a kindness, since they're the most interesting parts, as opposed to the other, boring questions. ;)

He was hosting a house party so I went round his house. I guess I met him through my parents, in the sense that they were invited to the house party and brought me along to keep me away from drugs, or whatever reason parents have to hang out with their kids. He would call my house to talk to my parents, typically about Buddhisty things.

Rantz
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
At first I thought this sounded like a lie because of how Quin pointedly mentioned the name of Howard's children and the fact that he's a Buddhist - facts that aren't too hard to find out from a simple search - in a sort of unnatural way that a person who does know him probably wouldn't. But then, I like to think Quin is a bit more clever than that and might be doing that specifically to seem like he's lying when he's actually telling the truth. I also think it seems like an unlikely statement to be used as a lie, seeing as you'd need to live in England for it to be plausible, and I think the statements Bleys appoints are picked randomly. This could be wrong, though.

Thoughts, team?

Quindiana Jones
01-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Bleys has said that he tries to match lies to the player's background, so he would choose lies that relate to, for example, an English person, and then choose randomly from those lies.

It is true, though, it's definitely true, and we are friends.

Mercen-X
01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Pfsst! Vote Lie! Do it! Dooooo iiiit!

Quindiana Jones
01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey, that's not fair!

Formalhaut
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, I'm keeping quiet. Wake me when we inevitably lose.

Quindiana Jones
01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Hey! It's not over till they vote true!

Or lie. :shifty:

Mercen-X
01-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Subliminal messaging... or the Force? "You don't believe in anything anymore." :handwave: :screwy:

Raistlin
01-12-2013, 06:39 AM
I could have sworn I already posted in this. Did the off-and-on database errors eat my post?

Anyway, I'm thinking true. The statement is a bit weird and localized, and Quin is trying very hard to sound like he's lying by making vague comments. He could just be a bad liar, which I don't think is true, or he could be bluffing -- but that would mean he's smart, which I don't think is true.

Mercen-X
01-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Oh you :colbert:

Quindiana Jones
01-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Hey, they're only vague compared to you lot's answers. I was just trying to replicate the spirit of the show, but you kept failing to ask for more information. :(

Glad I didn't kill the thread, though. xD

Citizen Bleys
01-12-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't think we should replicate the spirit of the show. Rob Brydon once answered a question on behalf of a contestant xD

Quindiana Jones
01-12-2013, 08:09 AM
That would be quite the boon for me, my friend. New lie in the spirit of the show: I once accidentally bought a horse. ;)

Mercen-X
01-12-2013, 04:47 PM
This actually happened to me.

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I was just referencing the show to pass the time until the other team get their act together. :/

Rantz
01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm still waiting for Sam to give her opinion! Guess I should message her...

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Always waiting on the womenfolk. :roll2

I'm willing to answer an extra question from Sam, since hers have been joke ones so far. Although, as she correctly identified, I am a liar, which is why my statement is true. :bigsmile:

Formalhaut
01-13-2013, 03:15 PM
*Snoozing*

.......Huh - wha! Oh.. is this round over yet?

Jinx
01-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Dude, Rantz

I said lie aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago.

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
That was before any questions! xD

Someone's been sending naked pictures to Bleys! ;)

Rantz
01-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Without asking or taking into account any questions, as well as accompanied by a flurry of non-serious comments - it's not a stretch to take it for a joke. Even if it wasn't, it seems proper to give you a chance to reconsider after Quin said more about it and Raist and I posted made our comments about it. So don't you put this on me! :D

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Hah! I can't believe it worked! xD

Citizen Bleys
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Quin's association with some singer guy I've never heard of is...

TRUE!

Congrats to Team Rantz for taking home the win in overtime! This means that for Game 2, Rantz will be presenting, and Raistlin and Tifa's Boobs will be team captains. Rantz decides who gets to play and assigns teams for Game 2!

My Individual Liar of the Game Award goes to Mercen-X for that delightful WIFOM in Indiana Jones and the Nazi Skull Helmet.

Fun fact: Out of six players, five sent in true statements.

I'll be sending all of my unused lies to Rantz, along with the true statements of everyone who hasn't played.

I changed my mind six or seven times as to whether I'd be sending on unused true statements of the contestants, so at this point, each of you just decide for yourself by replying in this thread. I'll send the data to Rantz once all 5 of you reply.

The game ran quite a bit longer than expected, so I'm thinking Game 2 should not start for a month or two at least. Comments?

As of the ending of the game, non-contestants can now post in this thread.

Jinx
01-13-2013, 11:25 PM
yeaaaaaaah

fuck you, team jirohault :)

Mercen-X
01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
You helped not, TB. I can't believe my Jedi mind trick failed. SCOOBY!

Formalhaut
01-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Eh. I knew we'd lose anyway. :(

Congratulations anywho! Hopefully the audience discussion thread will actually be active with my presence.

Mercen-X
01-14-2013, 01:28 AM
At least I get my brownie button. :D

Raistlin
01-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Hell yes! Nice come-from-behind victory, team.

Citizen Bleys
01-14-2013, 03:53 AM
I don't think winning in sudden death counts as coming from behind.

Raistlin
01-14-2013, 04:02 AM
I was referencing the fact that we were behind earlier in the game, Mr. Pedantic. :mad2:

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Congrats to all the winners. ;)

MOAR.

fire_of_avalon
01-14-2013, 04:42 AM
Can I play next time? And if so, will someone remind me to play? This looked like fun and I have been right about every player since page 4 (which is admittedly where I started.

Rantz
01-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Damn, I missed the part about me becoming the next host if my team won. :shifty:

Citizen Bleys
01-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Can I play next time? And if so, will someone remind me to play? This looked like fun and I have been right about every player since page 4 (which is admittedly where I started.

Signup thread is here (http://home.eyesonff.com/wonder-square/146700-eyes-final-fantasy-would-i-lie-you-signups.html). I'm still holding the statements for now.

Damn, I missed the part about me becoming the next host if my team won. :shifty:

That was meant to be the reward for winning. If you don't want to run it, you can name someone else. Preferably not me, I'd like to play at some point myself, but not until at least game 3 so I can be a guaranteed neutral resource for the next presenter.

Rantz
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Nah, I don't mind running it, at least so long as we're not doing it straight away. Although if someone else wants to run it I'd be happy to shirk the responsibility! :D

Formalhaut
01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd love to play again, but I know that's not very likely to happen. No-one would want me anyway after my complete failure of a captaincy!

Citizen Bleys
01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Going into Sudden Death is the opposite of complete failure. You also succeeded in both of your hotseat rounds.