PDA

View Full Version : How to treat fans: By LEGO.

Skyblade
12-15-2012, 01:50 AM
LEGO found a discontinued set for a boy who had saved up 2 years only to find the set he wanted was no longer being made. (http://consumerist.com/2012/12/03/lego-finds-spare-discontinued-set-so-boy-who-saved-up-for-2-years-wouldnt-be-disappointed/)

I've had a love-hate relationship with LEGO for a long time. I adore their products, but tend to think that they're overpriced by a rather large factor.

However, this act by their customer relations department just oozes awesomeness. A child finds a set he adores, and spends two years saving up to reach the 100 dollar price tag.

Only to find that in those two years, the set has been discontinued and the set is only availible online as a collector's piece for about double the price.

So he writes a letter to the corporate offices of LEGO, begging them for a set, or even any advice on where he could get one for the money he had, that he'd saved two years to get.

And LEGO writes back, first to tell him simply that the set has been discontinued, and then, two days before his birthday, to tell him that they admire his tenacity and patience, and they send him the set.

I mean, how awesome is that? How many companies would ship out, for free, a discontinued, hundred dollar product to a kid as a birthday present?

That's class, LEGO. I still think your products are overpriced, but well done. That's how you treat customers and fans.

Mirage
12-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Well, that takes care of today's happy. Thanks, Skyblade.

Tigmafuzz
12-15-2012, 02:45 AM
I've always had a passion for LEGO, even going so far as to set up a replica of Goldenrod Town from Pokemon G/S/C in its entirety. As if there wasn't enough reason to love the company already, now they're giving out free discontinued sets to kids who saved up for them but couldn't buy them in time? That's what makes a company great.

Jiro
12-15-2012, 05:05 AM
Wow, LEGO, way to go. That's seriously the greatest thing I will read all day.

Skyblade
12-15-2012, 05:25 AM
I've always had a passion for LEGO, even going so far as to set up a replica of Goldenrod Town from Pokemon G/S/C in its entirety. As if there wasn't enough reason to love the company already, now they're giving out free discontinued sets to kids who saved up for them but couldn't buy them in time? That's what makes a company great.

Seriously. How many times when you're a kid are you out shopping with your parents, see something awesome, ask for it, and get told "well, save up your allowance and you can get it then".

Now imagine actually doing that. For two years. And then you find the toy you want is no longer sold in stores, and is only availible for twice what it took you nearly a quarter of your life to save up. That would be crushing. He looked for it, his parents looked for it, and he finally wrote to LEGO.

And LEGO delivered. That's just awesome. Props to these guys.

And remember, young ones. Next time your parents tell you to save up for something, tell them ok, but if the price has doubled by the time you get the money together, they get to shell out the rest.:D

NorthernChaosGod
12-15-2012, 06:44 AM
That's just fucking heartwarming. Good Guy Lego.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-15-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4xGU-5KVS_g

Very heartwarming moment.

I agree that if LEGO had not ended up sending it to him that the parents should have chipped in and bought it for him. I remember being a kid and saying I was gonna save up for something, only to make 5 bucks and go by a soda or something.

Dedication!

escobert
12-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow, that's awesome. Good job LEGO. Nice to see some companies that actually care about their costumers and workers once in awhile.

Rantz
12-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Aww, cute!

Of course, (a big part of) the reason they do it is because they get publicity like this thread, that article and a youtube video titled "Why LEGO is the best company in the world" watched by 1.5 million people. I'm sure a good heart or two played a role in making it happen, but I wouldn't be too quick praise LEGO the company for being good-hearted and caring as such - I'd rather praise them for having good business sense. But then, the fact that good customer service tends to be good business sense in the first place is pretty great, and so are the businesses that get that. Yay!

Skyblade
12-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Aww, cute!

Of course, (a big part of) the reason they do it is because they get publicity like this thread, that article and a youtube video titled "Why LEGO is the best company in the world" watched by 1.5 million people. I'm sure a good heart or two played a role in making it happen, but I wouldn't be too quick praise LEGO the company for being good-hearted and caring as such - I'd rather praise them for having good business sense. But then, the fact that good customer service tends to be good business sense in the first place is pretty great, and so are the businesses that get that. Yay!

Oh, absolutely. I'm well aware of that. That's actually part of why I made this thread. Because treating your customers and fans right is good business, in addition to just being awesome, and I want to reward that.

Maybe other companies will start to learn that treating customers with care and respect is better business than treating them like idiots or as though their opinions or desires don't matter.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Maybe other companies will start to learn that treating customers with care and respect is better business than treating them like idiots or as though their opinions or desires don't matter.

Customers and employees as well.