PDA

View Full Version : Star Citizen

Skyblade
12-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Star Citizen Main Site (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/)

I have to admit, I find this project fascinating. The amount of graphical detail is incredible (which makes me shudder to think of computer requirements), and the basic premise is, simply, wonderful.

Essentially, it's a giant, open world space sim. As with Wing Commander, and especially Privateer, the galaxy is just there, and you get to live in it. Trading and the economy, piracy, military campaigns, ship upgrades, purchasing new ships, talking to squadmates, boarding operations, and so much more.

It's one of the most ambitious gaming projects I've seen in quite some time. It eschews most standard conventions (as its intro vid on the main page somewhat indicates), in favor of some of the most experimental and potentially awesome systems yet devised. Ships driven by real physics, where damage to a thruster doesn't just hurt your speed, or slow your turn, but will affect your entire ability to maneuver as the engine calculates out how much (if any) thrust that thruster is still providing and in what direction, and what effect that has on overall velocity.

The graphics are simply phenomenal at this rate, especially for the scale. The system is trying to dynamically scale the entire game world, providing their carrier ship with the same graphical fidelity as the human characters, at the same level of detail.

Not planning to be out till sometime in 2014, but definitely a project to keep your eye on, especially if you're a fan of the Wing Commander series or just love science fiction and have been waiting for a good space sim game.

Jiro
12-18-2012, 12:02 AM
oh this would be nice, I love ideas like this. SPACE

Citizen Bleys
12-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Already pledged during crowdfunding phase, got an Anvil Aerospace Hornet coming my way :)

I want this game now

Del Murder
12-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Trailer gave me epilepsy.

Madame Adequate
12-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Yeah hugely excited for this obviously :D

Loony BoB
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
*revives this sucker*

So, how many Star Citizens do we have at EoFF? Finally put in some money last night after I remembered to look into it again. Can't wait for the official release, but equally looking forward to trying out the modules as and when they're released, too.

Jiro
01-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Did a preview on this a couple weeks back. Man... I'm tempted. I would sink hours into this. But I'm strapped atm, so I'll just keep watching it and salivating.