PDA

View Full Version : Sephiroth appreciation thread. Yes really.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I know what you're thinking. But save your bandwagon vitriol for a moment.

I don't want you to think of this guy.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/sephirothAC.jpg

I want you to think of this guy.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/nmfloropoulos/sephirothff7.jpg

You remember him, right? The way the light in the Nibelheim Manor basement never went out. The rumors about how powerful he was and then seeing it with your own eyes. The way he almost seemed to jump down from the skies to kill a beloved party member. One Winged Angel before the hype.

"Out of my way. I'm going to see my mother."

While I'm personally a fan of Sephiroth past and present, the idea behind this thread was to get some of you to remember why he is loved so much. He tends to have a bad rap these days. Something about getting recognition on a very wide scale tends to steer even dedicated fans away for some reason.

Discuss.

Jinx
12-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Holy shit, that first picture looks like Sylvie, I'm not evening joking.

Sephiroth
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Sephiroth is that popular because he is made of very obvious aspects people normally like about a villain. I could write it down here but then I would just show what Sephiroth is like and most of it is known anyway.

Other people don't like those aspects. Or just don't like him because it is also a hype not to like him nowadays. If you ask me, as long as the own thoughts are reasonable and really fitting for Sephiroth, everything is okay.

Chris
12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/answers/2925000/2925391_1344002280278.49res_317_300.jpg

Sephiroth
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
You mean this is why he is appreciated?

Mirage
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
That's why most girls like him, at least!

DrAssenov
12-17-2012, 07:45 PM

You remember him, right? The way the light in the Nibelheim Manor basement never went out. The rumors about how powerful he was and then seeing it with your own eyes. The way he almost seemed to jump down from the skies to kill a beloved party member. One Winged Angel before the hype.

While I'm personally a fan of Sephiroth past and present, the idea behind this thread was to get some of you to remember why he is loved so much. He tends to have a bad rap these days. Something about getting recognition on a very wide scale tends to steer even dedicated fans away for some reason.

Discuss.

Speaking of the FFVII Sephiroth, who had more of a tan and distinctive, giant bangs, did anyone else think it was odd that at the very end, where you're fighting Sephiroth all alone with the completely blacked-out surroundings, that he dies so easily?

I always thought that at that moment, Sephiroth let Cloud kill him, as if he has finally realized what he has done and is now accepting of his punishment. I mean, he used to be a good guy -- at least as much as you can be as a Shinra employee.
I also read somewhere that in one of the Dissidia games, one of the other characters comments on how there's "sadness in Sephiroth's eyes."

That, of course, was totally shattered when he frickin' came back in AC, obsessively dwelling on his hatred of Cloud. I guess I just think SE might have messed up Sephiroth a little... :\

Alrighty, enough of my Seph rambling...thanks for reading.

Futan
12-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Always thought it was just showing us how he was a weak pansy without Jenova.

Sephiroth
12-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Always thought it was just showing us how he was a weak pansy without Jenova.

Since most of his power comes from his will, no.

Jiro
12-18-2012, 12:34 AM

Discuss.

Speaking of the FFVII Sephiroth, who had more of a tan and distinctive, giant bangs, did anyone else think it was odd that at the very end, where you're fighting Sephiroth all alone with the completely blacked-out surroundings, that he dies so easily?

I always thought that at that moment, Sephiroth let Cloud kill him, as if he has finally realized what he has done and is now accepting of his punishment. I mean, he used to be a good guy -- at least as much as you can be as a Shinra employee.
I also read somewhere that in one of the Dissidia games, one of the other characters comments on how there's "sadness in Sephiroth's eyes."

That, of course, was totally shattered when he frickin' came back in AC, obsessively dwelling on his hatred of Cloud. I guess I just think SE might have messed up Sephiroth a little... :\

Alrighty, enough of my Seph rambling...thanks for reading.

Great point. Really great point.

Sephiroth I guess is polarising just like FFVII itself. There are fans and there are haters and in a lot of ways everybody has it wrong. Sephiroth isn't an amazing villain, but he did do a few things right. Like DrAssenov suggests, there is some characterisation of Sephiroth that shows him as a bit more than just a weirdo maniac trying to become a god.

Not only that, but Sephiroth (allegedly) manipulates Jenova to the point where it takes his form and (fact) leads Shinra and the party, incl. and esp. Cloud on a wild goose chase around the planet under the guise of "stopping" him but really end up aiding him. Like, that's seriously well done. Then he kills a party member and he almost succeeds in his plan. I know he doesn't and for that he's always going to be a little inferior to Kefka in the villains sweepstakes, but by fucking jove if he didn't almost nail it.

Plus, Cloud's mental fucking breakdown is in a lot of way's Sephiroth's doing - not entirely - but you can't say the man didn't have an impact. I really think Sephiroth did well for what he was. The Compilation has kind of altered his character and while the mysterious angsty badass sort of thing works in a way, there's way too much of that between Cloud and Vincent already. Just make him maniacal again. He's over his emotions and is a stone cold killah

maybee
12-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Sabin appreciation thread. yes.

Sephiroth appreciation thread. no.

Momma's boy.

Jinx
12-18-2012, 05:34 AM

Momma's boy.

Not even. Poor Lucrecia. Stuck in that cave. Does he ever visit her? NO HE DOES NOT.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-18-2012, 08:07 AM

Momma's boy.

:doublecolbert:

maybee
12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Not even. Poor Lucrecia. Stuck in that cave. Does he ever visit her? NO HE DOES NOT.

Because he believes that mummy is really Jenova.

I have a strong urge to troll this thread now. :wacky:

Who wuvs his mommy-wummy and failed to kill Cloud three times and got beaten by Cloud when he was just a nothing ? Awhh poor Sephy Wephy did.

Poor Sephy Wephy.

Sephiroth
12-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Who wuvs his mommy-wummy and failed to kill Cloud three times and got beaten by Cloud when he was just a nothing ? Awhh poor Sephy Wephy did.

Poor Sephy Wephy.

In a way Jenova is his mother (counting one of Lucrecia's lines in Final Fantasy VII it is actually even more than "in a way"). Plus he also found out in the lifestream that Jenova is no Cetra. The lifestream is a big pool of information. Sephiroth knows he has a human mother. That does not mean anything, however. He has more in common with Jenova than with Lucrecia. And I don't know what you mean with "just a nothing" because it is not appopriate for both him and Cloud. Sephiroth has his incredible will and Cloud has his Hero-I will become incredibly strong if I am angry-bonus.

You may troll or dislike him if you want to. But then please be accurate with the information. Otherwise you dislike a Sephiroth who does not "exist" like you describe him.

Shusuika
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
:D everybody needs a villain just as much everybody needs a hero.
And sephiroth was the introduced villain in the game to which we spent over two weeks to finish (at least i took more than two weeks :P). It's quite normal that we end up admiring the bad guy as much as we admire the good guy, because that's who you spend your entire time along the story.

Besides, the "cool" villains are usually quiet, calm and mysterious, to which you barely know anything about (unlike the hero that you get to know along your travelling), and that just makes you want to know more!! Like "OMG i'm so turned on right now, i mean, why did he turned bad????" kind of response :P
And if I remember correctly, "emo" was getting quite popular around, which could be another reason to make this character lovable...so...yeah XD (yes i consider sephy of an emo guy....)

nice thread by the way. Sephiroth needs sum luv and attention too!

Mirage
12-18-2012, 02:28 PM
You may troll or dislike him if you want to. But then please be accurate with the information.

That's not how trolling works :p.

Jinx
12-18-2012, 06:13 PM
You may troll or dislike him if you want to. But then please be accurate with the information.

Dude, it's called a fucking joke. And the joke works, because Lucrecia was his mother....so, yeah.

Sephex
12-18-2012, 07:31 PM
He did his job as a villain in FFVII, I liked him for what he was, and the mama's boy thing is exaggerated and a very weak argument against his character, "trolling" or not.

On the subject of disliking anything related to FFVII, or FFVII in general, it has gone way past the point of getting old. I understand that a game of this popularity is going to have some hype backlash, but the game's been out for so long there is really no point in beating a dead horse no matter which stance you take on the game.

I'll put it this way, I find that most times, especially on the internet, that people who complain about something popular are more annoying than the biggest fanboy of something (most of the time).

Oh hey, you don't like One Direction, Twilight, or Justin Bieber? Wow, it's almost like those things aren't marketed for you! You must be very unique in your dislike of such entertainment. Hey, you know what will really impress someone? If you go to a YouTube video to complain about it! Never mind the fact that simply increasing the view count on something gives it more exposure, and thus only serves to most likely increase the popularity of something you don't like!

Great going! 10/10!

Skyblade
12-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Poor Sephy Wephy.

In a way Jenova is his mother (counting one of Lucrecia's lines in Final Fantasy VII it is actually even more than "in a way"). Plus he also found out in the lifestream that Jenova is no Cetra. The lifestream is a big pool of information. Sephiroth knows he has a human mother. That does not mean anything, however. He has more in common with Jenova than with Lucrecia. And I don't know what you mean with "just a nothing" because it is not appopriate for both him and Cloud. Sephiroth has his incredible will and Cloud has his Hero-I will become incredibly strong if I am angry-bonus.

You may troll or dislike him if you want to. But then please be accurate with the information. Otherwise you dislike a Sephiroth who does not "exist" like you describe him.

It is appropriate for Cloud. Cloud beat him when he was just a little Shinra mook. It was Cloud's demonstration of strength in beating Sephiroth that caught Hojo's attention. At that time, Cloud was a nobody.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Dude, it's called a smurfing joke. And the joke works, because Lucrecia was his mother....so, yeah.

The joke does not work, not even a bit. Especially not "because Lucrecia was his mother". Both Lucrecia and JENOVA served the parental cells as well as Hojo's. Lucrecia stated that the JENOVA cells were inside of her, meaning they were in her womb even before Sephiroth existed and not really injected into his body. "But the Jenova inside me did not let me die ...". Jenova was in her body and so in Sephiroth's once Lucrecia's egg was fertilized and not just "injected through hers into Sephiroth's". The "inject cells in fetal state explanation" which was told later was just for easier storytelling (and which was also used for Angeal, e.g) and that people understand it easier. When it comes to official explanations, both are his mothers (or "mother" in case of Jenova; Sephiroth even knows already it is no human/Cetra and still calls her that since it is correct in more than just one way). One is human, the other one, not. Actually not even really female, but still a real parent since the cells were in Lucrecia's womb and Sephiroth was the result of the three fusing. That is what makes him really unique. I don't blame you for not nothing this (how ridiculous that sounds about a videogame) because many don't, especially with the easier explanation nowadays.

It is appropriate for Cloud.

I don't know how much of my post you meant to answer with this line. Please explain. What you said was right, but I don't know what of my post you mean with the appropriate-thing.

EDIT: Ah, you mean my own "appropriate"-part. Well, "just a nothing" is definitely not fitting for Cloud. His power is hidden. Just because he was a blue guard which was not too confident, he was not weak. He just needs the right moment to release that powe because Cloud only fights for what is precious to him. Not only in Advent Children. And as you say, his demonstration of power already showed that he is not a nothing, he was simply underestimated. I call it "nothing" if you have potential but don't use it and Cloud did.

Skyblade
12-19-2012, 06:51 AM

I don't know how much of my post you meant to answer with this line. Please explain. What you said was right, but I don't know what of my post you mean with the appropriate-thing.

EDIT: Ah, you mean my own "appropriate"-part. Well, "just a nothing" is definitely not fitting for Cloud. His power is hidden. Just because he was a blue guard which was not too confident, he was not weak. He just needs the right moment to release that powe because Cloud only fights for what is precious to him. Not only in Advent Children. And as you say, his demonstration of power already showed that he is not a nothing, he was simply underestimated. I call it "nothing" if you have potential but don't use it and Cloud did.

Socially, he's a nothing. He's just a random Shinra soldier. He's a faceless member of a corporate army consisting of thousands. And Sephiroth is their absolute creme-de-la-creme. And Sephiroth gets beaten by a complete nonentity. I think that's the point of teasing him about it.

It's like a chess grandmaster losing to a nine year old playing for the first time. Sure, that nine year old may be an absolute savant. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be embarrassing as heck.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Socially, he's a nothing. He's just a random Shinra soldier. He's a faceless member of a corporate army consisting of thousands. And Sephiroth is their absolute creme-de-la-creme. And Sephiroth gets beaten by a complete nonentity. I think that's the point of teasing him about it.

It's like a chess grandmaster losing to a nine year old playing for the first time. Sure, that nine year old may be an absolute savant. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be embarrassing as heck.

I don't think we were talking about his social position. You would be right about that, however.

Jinx
12-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Sephiroth the member, stop being such a fan-boy. You say my joke doesn't work, and then you go on to say that Lucrecia is ONE of his mothers. Logic? None.

Dude, I don't care if she's his biological, birth, or surrogate mother. It's just a joke. Stop jizzing all over a video game character and get your panties out of a wad.

PS--The couple rep I received says that it was a somewhat clever joke that a couple people appreciated. :monster:

Sephex
12-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Sephiroth the member, stop being such a fan-boy. You say my joke doesn't work, and then you go on to say that Lucrecia is ONE of his mothers. Logic? None.

Dude, I don't care if she's his biological, birth, or surrogate mother. It's just a joke. Stop jizzing all over a video game character and get your panties out of a wad.

PS--The couple rep I received says that it was a somewhat clever joke that a couple people appreciated. :monster:

You could say that rep in this case could be called Sephirep.

There, now I told a bad joke. People can get on my case now.

You're welcome, Tifa's Boobs. This is also a sentence I said a lot in High School. I won't say why.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 04:33 PM

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy, especially because the term "fanboy" also has a different explanation than the one fitting for me. but only with you not understanding what axioms are. Autors have the power to decide about what is true and false in their story. Autors have the power to decide what is logical and what is paradox in their story. Lucrecia is one of his mothers and not just the one. Even biologically. That is a fact. Sephiroth was created through three parental cells. You are talking about missing logic in a world which does not work like ours. So please stop disgracing yourself by defending your posts by calling me a fanboy and your pathetic tries to provoke me or to insult me and that just proves that your intellectual level is not even close to what I should expect from a normal person. Your joke does not work because it is not fitting because of facts you don't know or don't accept. You want me to stop something while not stopping your own behavior. To quote you: Logic? None. And just because some people think you trolling in all threads is funny does not mean it is. So please stop that.

Jinx
12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
1. I was never trolling
2. I never said Jenova wasn't one of his mothers, why are you thinking that? Jesus smurfing Christ.

EDIT: I didn't say the logic of the world was dumb, but that YOUR logic was dumb.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 04:37 PM
1. I was never trolling
2. I never said Jenova wasn't one of his mothers, why are you thinking that? Jesus smurfing Christ.

EDIT: I didn't say the logic of the world was dumb, but that YOUR logic was dumb.

Then what do you call what you're doing right now? And your first or second post implied you not thinking that Jenova is one of his mothers. If that was a misunderstanding, I am sorry.

And how can my logic be dumb? It is not my logic. It is Nojima's logic.

Jinx
12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm not trolling, I'm arguing. There's a difference. Because you aren't comprehending.

And by your logic being dumb, I meant the logic that "OH HEY HER JOKE DOESN'T WORK." Yeah, it does. It was a pithy show that Sephiroth never mentions or cares that Lucrecia is his mother (at least not in the original game.) So yeah, it does work. That's the point of jokes in general. To take something, and poke fun at it.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not trolling, I'm arguing. There's a difference. Because you aren't comprehending.

And by your logic being dumb, I meant the logic that "OH HEY HER JOKE DOESN'T WORK." Yeah, it does. It was a pithy show that Sephiroth never mentions or cares that Lucrecia is his mother (at least not in the original game.) So yeah, it does work. That's the point of jokes in general. To take something, and poke fun at it.

Hah, now I see. There was a total mistake of mine. I thought the other posts were written by you. But you only replied to them and to mine as well.

Then I am really sorry. I thought you were the same person writing the "momma's boy" comment. That was really my fault.

Loony BoB
12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Sephiroth (the member): Tifa's Boobs is not trolling. I agree with her - she made a joke about Sephiroth (the character) that works, and it was mildly amusing. maybee if anyone was the one trolling in this thread, and I would appreciate that stopping.

Everyone, remember that this is a Sephiroth (the character) appreciation thread. Just as Sabin fanboys asked for HC to not post if he wasn't going to appreciate Sabin, I too will ask everyone not to post if they aren't going to post on topic here - if you're here to diss Sephiroth (the character) or anything like it, please post in a thread where it is relevant.

Also, fanboy shouldn't always to be taken as an insult - I am happily a FFVII fanboy. It's just 'fan' with 'boy' stuck on the end. It's not a big deal. Don't get too cooked up over it. :p If you're a fan of something, you should expect to be called a fanboy/fangirl. It may be said in a mocking tone on occasion, but overall it doesn't make it any less true.

And then you guys just resolve it on your own while I post. Such great kids. :<3:

I like Sephiroth and feel he was one of the greatest characters in the series, easily. Not sure about greatest villain because for me, he doesn't fit the standard definition of a villain. His character itself, though, is insanely interesting for me. His story is immense... arguably just as if not more interesting as Cloud's story.

Jinx
12-19-2012, 04:52 PM
/bows

And now to get this thread back on topic:

I like Sephiroth. He's cool. Advent Children Sephiroth not so much. Like I said, Sylvie.

Sephex
12-19-2012, 05:17 PM
The problem with Sephiroth in Advent Children (and that movie in general) was that it seemed the creators based everything on some exaggerated idea of what FFVII was to fanboys that really didn't get the core of the story. I get that it's harder to cram a sequel idea into 2 hours from a 30-40 hour game, but they could have done better.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a fun and cool action movie, which is exactly what I was hoping it would be, but I also blame it for the common misconception that Cloud has always been some emo dude and Sephiroth's character is only a sword and long hair with cool poses.

Anyway, yes, appreciation thread.

The whole impaling of the Midgar Zolom with that ominous stormy background is one of the coolest things in that game.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 05:32 PM
The problem with Sephiroth in Advent Children (and that movie in general) was that it seemed the creators based everything on some exaggerated idea of what FFVII was to fanboys that really didn't get the core of the story. I get that it's harder to cram a sequel idea into 2 hours from a 30-40 hour game, but they could have done better.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a fun and cool action movie, which is exactly what I was hoping it would be, but I also blame it for the common misconception that Cloud has always been some emo dude and Sephiroth's character is only a sword and long hair with cool poses.

Anyway, yes, appreciation thread.

The whole impaling of the Midgar Zolom with that ominous stormy background is one of the coolest things in that game.

Well, he shows his really important characteristics and to show that he really is like before but does think about what he's doing next and how there is Case of Black/Black Lifestream. That is a very good addition to Advent Children like Episode Zero is for Final Fantasy XIII. It is very hard to show so much of one character in a movie like you have said and it was about Sephiroth all the time anyways, which is the reason why they used the term "Advent" or "Reunion" like it was first intended.

DrAssenov
12-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I like Sephiroth and feel he was one of the greatest characters in the series, easily. Not sure about greatest villain because for me, he doesn't fit the standard definition of a villain. His character itself, though, is insanely interesting for me. His story is immense... arguably just as if not more interesting as Cloud's story.

Yes! I feel the same way. I am not sure why, but I find myself more fascinated with fallen-hero characters than the actual protagonists of stories. It is interesting how a person in good standing, generally speaking, can make a series of decisions that lead to the loss of his humanity and renders him insane.

According to Crisis Core, he used to have good friends. There's even a hint of friendship implied between himself and Zack in FFVII. After losing that support system one by one, the real kicker that sent him over was finding out about Jenova. He has no one else outside of Shinra, thanks to his very controlled/restricted upbringing. In FFVII, he's mad at Shinra and the rest of the world from taking the planet from "mother," but I think that in CC, he's also angry and sad because he lost his friends as well :( All he has left is Jenova.
SOLDIERs Genesis, Sephiroth, and Angeal--Before they all went crazy and MIA/dead.

Sephiroth
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I am actually glad to have antagonists which have more story and seem to be human (even if it is not the best word for Sephiroth but when it comes to his first reactions and all plus his arrogance then it is the right word). No one in our world we call or called evil did something evil just cause - except he/she was just insane and even then it normally is based on something human. You can clearly see that he has become the emotionless son of JENOVA which is acting instinctively who wants to do what she did but other than JENOVA he has a real personality and really wants to do what he does because he wants to become more powerful while JENOVA "is programmed to travel around, inject cells, absorb, reunite and repeat the cycle". He is the better version of JENOVA who can only feel joy again when he demonstrates his power. Evil is not just meaningless destruction (of course this is also evil). There can also be human motives. Sephiroth is the Darth Vader of Final Fantasy.

Mercen-X
12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I never had a particular appreciation for Sephiroth. I didn't think he sucked either. I thought he worked as Cloud's enemy.
My favorite FFVII villain remains Genesis. Partially due to the fact that it's apparently akin to raping fans of Sephiroth or just straight-Genesis-haters. I like that too. Whenever someone comments after my posts about liking Genesis about how I suck or they hate Genesis, I think "I've just raped you."

Bolivar
12-22-2012, 02:13 AM
"Sephiroth's strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality than any story you might have heard about him."

- Cloud Strife, Kalm 1997.

Man, the way he was designed: the black trenchcoat, the silver hair, the white enameled shoulder pads, and the eyes... Mako eyes. Creepy, powerful, effective.

Maybe my favorite villain. Underappreciated, these days, if anything. The only downside is he was a psychopath for the majority of the present story.

I agree with whoever said he's as polarizing as FFVII itself. Although the FFVII hate has largely died down. I think it's funny that Flying Mullet and them have that "kinda fake for fun but not really" VII hate thread - because all of their criticisms are largely ridiculous and unintentionally hilarious. I mean, seriously, go back to one of the older threads of EoFFers hating on this game, or the reasons they give for hating Sephiroth. It's hilarious the bottom of the barrel, grasping-for-straws logic behind the utterly incredulous criticisms of FFVII.

It was a landmark game and Sephiroth was an unforgettable villain. That is all.

maybee
12-22-2012, 03:15 AM
I was the one that posted the momma's boy comment. I'm sorry for any drama/ heat I've caused. I just can't stand Sephiroth.

I'll let this thread be to his fans. :jess:

Jiro
12-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I think any "momma's boy" attitude he has is probably allowable. I mean way to find out you're a genetically modified man whose sole purpose is to like destroy shit with ease. He didn't exactly have a good upbringing and I'm sure we can all agree that sort of environment isn't conducive to "normal" people :p

Flying Mullet
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I think it's funny that Flying Mullet and them have that "kinda fake for fun but not really" VII hate thread...
Fake? It wasn't fake when Sephiroth pinched my butt in the shower or asked me to wear a furry outfit and dance slowly to The Beach Boys' Kokomo. :cry: