PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Games by Writing

Forsaken Lover
12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Firstly, please recognize that good writing =/= good story. Xenogears is easily one of my favorite games of all time but I freely admit that a lot of the writing is clunky. True, Xenogears has plots and characters better than most games, but there's something to be said about a simplistic story that is written well.

It's all about execution and establishing a narrative that flows.

So, with that in mind, how would you rate each FF game in terms of writing?

For example...

Final Fantasy XII:
Amazing dialogue that feels both natural and memorable. I disagree with those people who whine about the last act of the game. It was no longer political really but it's not like the Occuria stuff wasn't foreshadowed. The only reason the game doesn't get a perfect 10 is because of its inability to properly utilize most of the cast.

Laddy
12-18-2012, 06:07 PM
XII, VI, and IX are the best.

X is the worst.

Forsaken Lover
12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
I realize it's all opinions but there is no way in Hell X has worse writing than VIII. I could give reasons if you like.

Bolivar
12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Final Fantasy XII is Smith and Reeder at their localizing finest. I know that's only one variable in the equation, but FFXII's writing, both in structure and what is actually being said, is truly great.

maybee
12-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy VI.

Both of those games, the writing is just gorgeous.

Quindiana Jones
12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
XII, IX and VI.

Pete for President
12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
X is the worst.

On what other-wordly logic is this based on?

Fynn
12-19-2012, 07:12 PM
X is the worst.

It's called common sense.

Anyway, gonna jump on the XII bandwagon here. It really fit the setting. Every line seemed spot-on.

Formalhaut
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
This bandwagon is getting rather cramped isn't it?

XII for me easily has a superb script and writing, though the only criticism I have is that it isn't rationed out equally. Gems like Balthier, Ashe and the Judges have to keep dragging along Vaan and other characters who didn't really make a dent in the story.

As for the worst script? Hard to say. The FF games I have played for me never really stood out as "poor" writing wise, but I guess the weakest link is probably X, if only because of that infamous laughing scene.

Quindiana Jones
12-20-2012, 02:26 AM
It's only a bandwagon if it's unreasonable. In the case of XII, it's just being correct. ;)

Skyblade
12-20-2012, 08:11 AM
XII's writing is actually really good. It has its share of bad lines, but overall, the writing itself is pretty top notch.

It's a pity the story structure, plot, characterization, and basically everything else about the game were so horrible.

Pete for President
12-21-2012, 08:46 AM
X is the worst.

It's called common sense.

Anyway, gonna jump on the XII bandwagon here. It really fit the setting. Every line seemed spot-on.

I'm not convinced. Here's why FFX's writing might be the best in the series:

First of all, the prologue is very well done story-writing technique. Tidus is telling his story. From the very opening FMV till you reach Zanarkand, the game tells you what the party has been through. It's a prologue. A 25 hour long one. And it does it's job very well, since everything from that point onwards is unknown to any of the characters. One plottwist follows after the other, leading up to a fitting climax. The timing and pacing is phenomenal. I like to think the game only starts when you reach Zanarkand, and that is quite an accomplishment in story-writing.

Second, the dialogue during battles is a nifty way to tell us about the characters. Them talking to each other makes them feel real and human. The optional dialogue (for example, Wakka & Lulu's scenes on the boat) flesh them out even more.

But most importantly; the themes written about in this game have more resemblance of modern day world problems than most literature, arthouse films, newspapers, tv shows, let alone videogames. FFX's vision on death, technology, indoctrination, religion and racism are actually very close to reality. People are kept ignorant. We do abuse technology for violent means. Faith is being abused to force a will on the masses. Leaders want people to give their lives even though command knows they can't win. We're even being taught to be racist from very young age.

To say FFX has bad writing is not common sense, it's just being ignorant. But if you miss the point in X, I bet you miss it in real life too.

Forsaken Lover
12-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I liked X but I dunno if I'd say it had the best writing.

It's still better than VIII though simply by virtue of being capable of characterizing its villains well. Ultimecia was a total joke and her "backstory" can only be pieced together by three or so lines of dialogue scattered throughout the game.

Seymour, Yevon and all the other villains of X are, by contrast, lovingly detailed and well-explained.

Pete for President
12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
XII's writing is overrated. Sure, it uses a lot of fancy words and dialect, but that doesn't mean it keeps the story interesting.

Edit: On the other hand, chapter 1 of FFT is very, very well written.

maybee
12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
XII's writing is overrated. Sure, it uses a lot of fancy words and dialect, but that doesn't mean it keeps the story interesting.

Thankyou.

XII had no story. It was follow the leader.

VeloZer0
12-21-2012, 08:51 PM
I would say that the overarching story of FF12 as a whole was quite a letdown, but the individual scenes that made it up were well written. ... In fact I would say that poor decision making followed by excellent implementation is probably the hallmark of FF12.

Ouch!
12-21-2012, 09:23 PM
The best writing in the game is hands down, as others have mentioned, FFVI, IX, and XII. I'd say VII and X are at the top end of the rest of the pack. Anything before FFIV is pretty schlock by simple virtue of being before there was really a focus on strong storytelling, and I'd say IV and V were comparatively weak next to VI (especially IV's habit of having characters "die"). The only games I really can't stand from a writing or storytelling angle are FFVIII (for completely losing direction after a very promising first act) and FFXIII (for totally dropping the ball on a potentially interesting conflict by using the power of love to save the day).

Del Murder
12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
What about FFXI? I think Chains of Promathia was some of the best writing in the series.