PDA

View Full Version : Juggling your backlog

Pike
12-19-2012, 01:20 AM
How do you chip away at your game backlog? Do you play multiple games at one time? Do you really focus fire on one until it's finished?

I kind of go with a combination method. I'll pick a story-based game to play and really work on that one, but I'll also usually play non-story-based stuff (like my beloved strategy/sim games :love: ) as well on the side.

My "current" story game is Morrowind (as if any of you guys haven't figured this out), and once I finish it I'm moving on to Deus Ex, and then Deus Ex Human Revolution. :)

How do you manage your backlog?

krissy
12-19-2012, 02:01 AM
if its not good enough to keep my mind on it then i don't really end up playing it very much and that makes space for the good ones that i am into and end up playin

Futan
12-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Not very well. I have 30 smurfing games in my backlog atm and I'm addicted to FIFA. XD

But really it's best I play games when I want to than to make a job out of it anyways.

Bolivar
12-19-2012, 03:03 AM
I don't have it structured anymore. I used to have my story game and my non-story game, usually a handheld JRPG and whatever console Call of Duty was out. Then I had my CRPG, my JRPG, my shooter, and some other wacky online title, but it just wasn't sustainable. It also doesn't help that a lot of the games I play now aren't necessarily story-based single player experiences.

Right now I'm playing Black Ops II, Guild Wars 2, Oblivion, Diablo III, DotA II, and Tactics Ogre. Whatever comes to mind is whatever I play on any given day.

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2012, 06:24 AM
I take my games one at a time. I tried to multitask but it doesn't work for me and I always ended up spending more time with one game over another. My real problem with my backlog is that I tend to get into the mood to play something more familiar while playing something new, so for instance I just finished Skyward Sword and it got me into a Zelda kick so now I'm playing Ocarina of Time and little of A Link to the Past.

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-19-2012, 06:30 AM
I can NEVER chip away at my back log. I play like 1 new game in between going back and replaying 3 old games. Right now I'm playing Xenogears since it's been a few years since my last play through. And I've been FIENDING to go back and replay FF9.

New games just don't really interest me, at least not RPG's anyway. The newer stuff I play are usually online games I can pick up and play a quick match or two any time I want, like Street Fighter, Halo 4, and Pokemon battles. Otherwise, I find far more pleasure in replaying some of the classics I havent played in a while. Actually, its been quite a while since I've beaten Morrowind too...

Quindiana Jones
12-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Usually one at a time, but not in one go. So I'll start one, play it for a few days, then start another, play it for a few days, and so on. If it's an excellent story based game, however, it'll get it's own stage. :D

Yar
12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I do one game at a time. Games shouldn't be a chore. They're something to do in your free time.

I usually stick with story-based games anyway. And instead of juggling a second game or something, I'll always have a book to read instead. :D

Quindiana Jones
12-19-2012, 12:32 PM
My lack of free time is a chore.

Shauna
12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
One game on each console at most. Also only one RPG at a time, since they can be time consuming. :3

Although I have recently managed to overcome a part I was stuck at in Castlevania on the Xbox, so I now have LA Noire and Castlevania on the go. I am not sure what to do here. ;___;

Elly
12-19-2012, 02:05 PM
i play my backlog the way a TV Addict watches TV... i play a few chapters or story beats in one game usualy RPGs, before the ADD kicks in i see something else and wanna play that so i do a few chapter or story beats for that one and so on, some games take a couple months to beat in this way and others take a couple of years... and for the past year when im not doing that im in The Old Republic working on a story part for one of my 8 or so characters, lol...

Nicolas
12-19-2012, 02:34 PM
My backlog has grown to an unhealthy size. I must eventually deal with it. I had a spreadsheet of all the games I have sitting around unfinished organized by system. That, like everything, needs to be updated. To get it down, I slowly chip away at it by bouncing around. Different games that is.

Steam sales are the bain of my, and my backlog's, existence. Horribly, horribly wonderful Steam sales.

Pike
12-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Steam sales are the bain of my, and my backlog's, existence. Horribly, horribly wonderful Steam sales.

Tell me about it. I've got 289 games on Steam.

Games do take up a lot of time, but it's my main hobby. Some people read, some people watch TV, but I play games. I approach it as a major part of my daily routine and make time for it. I try to play 4-5 hours of games on my work days, and at least 8+ on my days off. :)

escobert
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't :p

Shoeberto
12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I usually have games I get excited to play and set aside time for them. If they bore me or stop being fun I drop them. Otherwise I stay pretty consistent with trying to play them all the way through.

Usually multiplayer/casual/mobile games get sprinkled in since they're easier to pick up and play for short time periods. I play a lot of stuff on my phone.

Depression Moon
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
This thread reminds me. I never got to finishing FFIII or Advance Wars. They got too hard me for me so I just dropped them.

NeoCracker
12-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I lack any kind of Backlog to speak of. :smug:

Bunny
12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
My 360 has a disc read error and my PS2 has an overheating problem, which effectively eliminates my ability to play games from either of those systems (despite having a number of games I still need to play). The PS2 problem is easily fixed, and I suspect the 360 problem would be as well, but I haven't gotten around to doing so because I've just transitioned back to PC games. The problem with my 'backlog' is that it is ever-growing thanks to things like Humble Bundle, Steam sales, and GoG, so I never really get anything accomplished.

I mostly play about 3-4 games at a time depending on my mood, with a constant stream of League of Legends to balance out the boredom.

Formalhaut
12-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Ugh, don't remind me of the games I am technically "playing" but are back in the cupboard. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

My brides so far happen to be Pokemon Platinum, a game which I have never actually completed, despite owning it for over two years. This is my third attempt at offing it...

Uncharted: Drake's fortune, which I'm halfway through but it is sadly languishing in my PS3 at the moment because, no word of a lie, I am scared of those creepy monster things in Chapter 17 onwards and I don't really want to face them. I know, horror elements scare the crap out of me.

I'd like to continue playing Final Fantasy VII at some point, and Professor Layton and the Last Specter. Yet two more games I have never fully completed.

In summary, I try to get a structure, but they just end up falling flat. Sad really.

Shoeberto
12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Uncharted: Drake's fortune, which I'm halfway through but it is sadly languishing in my PS3 at the moment because, no word of a lie, I am scared of those creepy monster things in Chapter 17 onwards and I don't really want to face them. I know, horror elements scare the crap out of me.
The Creepy Monster Things were kinda super annoying in all 3 games (spoiler, each game has "monsters") but it's so worth pushing through. Especially because it means you get to play 2 and 3 and those are mind-blowingly awesome.

Flaming Ice
12-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Finishing a game seems quite an accomplishment anymore. :)

But I guess that's what happens you play a bunch of rpgs.

Roogle
12-19-2012, 11:17 PM
I can only play one game at a time unless it is a multiplayer game or a game that I play competitively. For example, I play League of Legends with friends and I travel out of state for Street Fighter IV play, so I have to keep up with those regardless of what I pursue on the side. I want to replay Final Fantasy IX soon, so while I am playing that game, I will not start any other gaming projects until that game is complete or I lose all interest in it.

Formalhaut
12-19-2012, 11:28 PM
The Creepy Monster Things were kinda super annoying in all 3 games (spoiler, each game has "monsters") but it's so worth pushing through. Especially because it means you get to play 2 and 3 and those are mind-blowingly awesome.

I actually own Two, as it was handed down by my brother who moved out. But damn, I've seen youtube videos, and they just seem bloody scary! I watched the chapter called "The Bunker" and it's something out of a Resident Evil movie.

Futan
12-20-2012, 04:04 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Steam-Winter-Sale-2012-Starts-Tomorrow-December-20-316147.shtml

Steam sale starts in probably 2 hours. Time for our backlogs to get larger. :monster: I will resist! XD

Jiro
12-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Get time, play games, enjoy.

krissy
12-21-2012, 05:44 AM
i hated when the monsters showed up in uncharted 1

absolutely zero foreshadowing on that one

2 and 3 did it well at least

and yeah u2 is one of the best games ever

Del Murder
12-24-2012, 12:56 AM
I play one game at a time. I go start to finish, experiencing everything I can. Every quest, mission, treasure. Then when I've gone through it thoroughly I move on to the next game.

I typically play games in one of 4 general genres: Action, RPG, Shooter, Platform. I try to mix and match the genres so that it keeps things interesting. For instance, I just finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Action), so next I'll play Mass Effect 3 (Shooter). After that will be The Last Story (RPG).