PDA

View Full Version : Behemoth Gear for Chocobos in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Raistlin
12-19-2012, 02:10 AM

The developer’s blog (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2128-new-developer-s-blog-realm-reborn.html) for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has received a few updates recently, but today’s update (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/137) is the coolest so far. Fernehalwes, the pseudonymous updater of the developer’s blog, first reminded us of previously leaked concept art of an armor set for chocobos:

If you recall from previous (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2024-new-info-ps3-version-final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn.html) updates (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2017-ps3-screenshots-ffxiv-realm-reborn.html), players will be able to equip chocobos in ARR with armor sets. Well the design for this particular armor set is well underway, and we have been treated with a picture of the design-in-progress, which looks even scarier than the concept art.

Holy crap, that isn’t an armored chocobo; it’s a freaking terrifying robot dinosaur.

The blog entry also implied that this armor set was designed after Behemoth. No surprise there! Behemoths were confirmed to appear in A Realm Reborn in a trailer released over the summer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oYMrFXcqvk4#!).

So how terrified would you be to see that running down on you in game?

Jinx
12-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Ugh.

Hollycat
12-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Looks more like behemoth to me.

Raistlin
12-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Ugh. You're right, it is Behemoth. I was overly fixated on Bahamut after the finale and all the other Bahamut-related stuff. *fixes*

EDIT: Can a mod/editor fix the title? I need to stop writing articles late at night after working. xD

Del Murder
12-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Scary.

Jiro
12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Oblivion failed to impress me with horse armour. Chocobo armour? Now that's smurfing awesome.

Ouch!
12-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm glad to see that we're going to get other armor for our companion chocobos than the AF armor (which is also pretty cool).

Loony BoB
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't like the chocobo armour, personally. It's really overdone and you can't even see much of the chocobo at all. They may as well have just given us a small behemoth to ride and be done with it.

I guess this means they're actually going ahead with the BLM Chocobo Armour, too, which is silly beyond all reason. As a massive chocobo fan, I can see the humour in having a non-useable chocobo that has goofy armour (in a cutscene or something, or just as an NPC) but I dislike the idea of having that humour in our face every time we make use of them in battle.

Can't please everyone with this kind of thing, though, I suppose. I just wish our chocobos were awesome without armour. I wonder if they'll allow me to toggle it so I don't see it...

Jinx
12-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't like the chocobo armour, personally. It's really overdone and you can't even see much of the chocobo at all. They may as well have just given us a small behemoth to ride and be done with it.

I guess this means they're actually going ahead with the BLM Chocobo Armour, too, which is silly beyond all reason. As a massive chocobo fan, I can see the humour in having a non-useable chocobo that has goofy armour (in a cutscene or something, or just as an NPC) but I dislike the idea of having that humour in our face every time we make use of them in battle.

Can't please everyone with this kind of thing, though, I suppose. I just wish our chocobos were awesome without armour. I wonder if they'll allow me to toggle it so I don't see it...

That was why I said, "Ugh." Partly, I don't like the design of the armour. Chocobo armour could definitely be cool, especially if you used it in battle mechanics. I'm not sure if you can ride and fight in FFXIV, but if you can, it's fitting. If you're having a battle, your Chocobo can die or be KO'd. Armour delays that.

If it's just for aesthetics, meh.

Ouch!
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
They're adding all this chocobo armor for the express purpose that your chocobo will be your NPC battle companion and is capable of fulfilling various roles. Initially, we were led to believe that this meant that you'd choose between tank/damage/support roles like your NPCs in FFXI, but when they released concept art for white mage, black mage, and dark knight chocobo armor, speculation arose that your chocobo will also be able to have a specific job.

It is still unclear whether the same chocobo serves both as a battle companion and a mount, or whether you will summon one chocobo as a mount and another to fight alongside you in battle. Think of this as heavy plate armor for your chocobo; it will be quite useful if you're playing as a squishy mage.

Raistlin
12-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Yeah, as Ouch said, ARR chocobos are going to have an actual battle role to play, and the armor will boost certain stats. And IIRC, you can raise your chocobos to have a certain job/class (warrior, black mage, etc.), and there will be some class-specific armor for chocobos. So it's not just aesthetics.

I understand the complaints, though, about the current Behemoth design being overdone. I mean, you can't even see the chocobo.

Rostum
12-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Looks awesome, can't wait! :)

Elpizo
12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
That armor looks kinda heavy at the front, how does the Chocobo stay upright with that junk on him? It looks as if he'd topple right over and fall flat on his beak.

Mirage
12-21-2012, 01:26 PM
It might just be made out of leather or something.