PDA

View Full Version : [LR] Lightning Returns Trailer

I Don't Need A Name
12-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Here it is! What's your thoughts guys?

EDIT: ACTIVE LINK IF YOU'RE QUICK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6EGmVT9_cTo)

Jiro
12-20-2012, 02:16 AM
This video is private. You jumped the gun on that one.

Flaming Ice
12-20-2012, 03:23 AM
The world ends before you even start the game?

All I see is black :|

DMKA
12-20-2012, 03:44 AM
WORKING LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ajSAdgXU1ts)

Watched it. Looks promising enough. They actually changed the battle system this time around it seems. The stagger gauge is gone! That like...completely changes the rules of battle! I can't wait to see more.

Also, you just know those glasses Lightning is sporting at the end are going to be an IRL collectible item that SE sells for some crazy price. :p

maybee
12-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Sorry but it looks dreadful. The storyline is just copied and pasted from FF X for crying out loud and the world looks so flat and rushed.

Freya
12-20-2012, 06:27 AM
I guess it was accidentally released early! That's not good! If you have a chance to see it, definitely check it out! I'm actually pretty excited about this one. It looks like an ARPG and I goddamn love those games. And her outfit doesn't look so bad now that I actually see it animated. I mean it's not the best but it's not as weird as I thought before.

you're most likely right that those glasses will be on sale cause they look freaking cool!

Elpizo
12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Watching the trailer, I'm reminded more of a Devil May Cry game than a Final Fantasy one, while her outfit makes me think of Bayonetta. This coming from a guy who has played neither of those games. I'm not convinced or impressed, SE. :|

Goldenboko
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Looks like they redid the battle system to be a single character. Should be interesting, it's funny to see how the combat system of Final Fantasy's have involved shrinking the number of party members over the years.

Freya
12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
The devil may cry series is AWESOME what are you talking about elpizo! If it's anything like that then i'll be all squee in my fangirlness.

Elpizo
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
The devil may cry series is AWESOME what are you talking about elpizo! If it's anything like that then i'll be all squee in my fangirlness.
I'm not saying DMC isn't awesome, I haven't played it (beyond a demo of DMC4, which was pretty cool) so I wouldn't know. I'm just seeing a bit too much of DMC than I'm seeing Final Fantasy, from what I've seen. That's all I'm seeing, er, saying.

Sephiroth
12-20-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSAdgXU1ts&feature=player_embedded

Del Murder
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
That world doesn't look to be anything special, but the battles do look interesting. I would probably be more interested if this was part of a new IP and not the FFXIII brand.

Ouch!
12-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I had no plans to purchase the game; this video reinforces that judgment.

Goldenboko
12-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I'll probably take the same "Wait til price drops to 20 bucks" approach I had with FFXIII-2 .

krissy
12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
PARKOUR

Skyblade
12-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm quite enjoying the art style. Something about the simplicity of the color scheme is kind of drawing me in.

That said, the villain guys look ridiculous. The Emblem on the guy's back makes me think he belongs more in a KH game than an FF game.

I also don't like the "Final Journey" bit. If it's just saying this is the end of FFXIII, fine. But I don't want them to kill another main character.

I Don't Need A Name
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
This video is private. You jumped the gun on that one.

Well bugger, it worked when I posted it originally

Goldenboko
12-20-2012, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSAdgXU1ts&feature=player_embedded

This one doesn't work anymore either. We're going to wait until the official release before putting this on the frontsite all :)

Flaming Ice
12-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I'll probably take the same "Wait til price drops to 20 bucks" approach I had with FFXIII-2 .

13-2 went on sale for $20 in hardly any time at all.

krissy
12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
gif tiems

http://25.media.tumblr.com/a1a645e7425723dbdbefa496aff74db2/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto1_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/17b30418e12810a6f099bd9f1cf4862d/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto2_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ac57f2c41b78d8a3bae7496c20d9c788/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto3_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/27a9a61d41aa0b9ecc4c4e14bf81cb33/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto4_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8ec286755e301d7c0f6c9381165e2556/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto5_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e556c7f4822d8eb7d96f8fee75e389eb/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto6_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/120f706820ae4999fb708ebc4d8572b6/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto7_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/152709e24e6e9ffaaa82b7991d85fa7c/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto8_250.gif

Freya
12-20-2012, 09:28 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/120f706820ae4999fb708ebc4d8572b6/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto7_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/152709e24e6e9ffaaa82b7991d85fa7c/tumblr_mfbgfvC14N1rr7dyto8_250.gif

Damn lightning looks badass there!

Ouch!
12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
If your definition of badass is stereotypical, campy, and overdramatic, sure.

Elpizo
12-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Personally, I can't get over that outfit. I don't know what it is, but it rubs me the wrong way and makes me want to either cry or laugh out loud, dunno which. It just doesn't suit Lightning. Makes her look both ridiculous and as if she was trying to be not Lightning or something.

Freya
12-21-2012, 12:20 AM
You guys are such negative nellies :(

DMKA
12-21-2012, 01:40 AM
The storyline is just copied and pasted from FF X for crying out loud and the world looks so flat and rushed.

You haven't actually read anything about this game, have you? :p

I Don't Need A Name
12-21-2012, 01:43 AM
So for the people who haven't seen the trailer yet:

The soundtrack was a reworking of existing FFXIII battle music, so that's not changed a great deal (seeing as the composer for XIII-2 is still in it)

The battles appear run in a similar system with the ATB segments, but it seemed a little more free flowing, but that may have been the combos shown. The gifs show a much more different display for HP etc during battle, so we'll have to wait and see for more information there.

Lightning has a lot more mobility with her movements, as shown in the gifs. There was a moment where she jumped off a ledge onto a pole and spun around it down to ground level.

Hope provided narration along with Lightning.

The trailer emphasised the 13 days thing, and the passage of time. It also showed there will be day and night cycles for areas.

As a final point, is it just me or does Lightning's new armour remind you of N7 armour at a glance?

maybee
12-21-2012, 02:36 AM
The storyline is just copied and pasted from FF X for crying out loud and the world looks so flat and rushed.

You haven't actually read anything about this game, have you? :p

The whole fake religion thing.

Jiro
12-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Oh god Final Fantasy X just copied Breath of Fire this is shit I'm never playing a game again.

Oh but wait I can guarantee Breath of Fire took that idea from somewhere else, probably semi-famous literature.

It's not even the core element though, so I don't understand. Let's just enjoy it for what it's worth and not get hung up on influences because there is literally nothing that is an immaculate conception or truly unique these days.

krissy
12-21-2012, 05:05 AM
i think that taking anything from ffx as a model for development is a valid concern to have

Tidus Laugh 10 HOURS - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfiTebewnc)

maybee
12-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Oh god Final Fantasy X just copied Breath of Fire this is trout I'm never playing a game again.

Yeah but this is SquareEnix we're talking about. They're usually masters of storytelling. It's not like they can come up with something new.

Ouch!
12-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh god Final Fantasy X just copied Breath of Fire this is trout I'm never playing a game again.

Yeah but this is SquareEnix we're talking about. They're usually masters of storytelling. It's not like they can come up with something new.
If you regard SquareEnix as "masters of storytelling" in the video game world, I've got a couple titles I'd like to point you towards for evidence to the contrary.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 02:54 PM
It's a good thing SE doesn't actually read our forums :roll2

krissy
12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
i really liked teh ff13 series :(
for real

Ouch!
12-21-2012, 04:08 PM
What, just because this is a Final Fantasy forum I have to blindly praise everything they produce? I'm not saying that everything that SE does is crap; they've made some of my favorite games of all time. That said, their recent efforts--specifically in regards to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy--have been incredibly disappointing in a number of ways. I could go into a whole rant about it, but I think the problem is that I (like a majority of the people who are still interested in RPGs), am growing up, and the Final Fantasy series, for the most part, is not growing up with me.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 04:32 PM
What, just because this is a Final Fantasy forum I have to blindly praise everything they produce? I'm not saying that everything that SE does is crap; they've made some of my favorite games of all time. That said, their recent efforts--specifically in regards to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy--have been incredibly disappointing in a number of ways. I could go into a whole rant about it, but I think the problem is that I (like a majority of the people who are still interested in RPGs), am growing up, and the Final Fantasy series, for the most part, is not growing up with me.

I find some of the complaints made by people completely out of line though. I criticize FFXIII for the reasons it should be criticized. I'm not going to start criticizing this game's story based on a 2 minute clip of primary game-play (nice surprise actually). Nor will I Lightning over dramatic in the scene she was in. It was a trailer it's suppose to be overly dramatic to build hype. I think there's a difference between criticizing and instinctively looking for something to complain about.

Ouch!
12-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I played through all of Final Fantasy XIII, which featured a plot defined by melodrama and resolved by cheesy "love conquers all" deus ex machina that completely contradicted any gravitas the melodrama might have been building toward. Nothing from either XIII-2 or now XIII-3 has given any indication that this trend has been reversed. We have Lightning running through some comparatively bland city environments with a dramatic voice over narration culminating in her taking off a pair of sunglasses like the reverse of CSI: Miami. A trailer is designed to excite, and this trailer does nothing for me.

But I wasn't even exclusively referring to Final Fantasy XIII when I made the disparaging comment about stories in Square Enix games. I wasn't even referring exclusively to Final Fantasy games. Hell, Kingdom Hearts--as much as I have loved damn near every entry in the series--has become an absolute mess of storytelling. While I've found the stories of many Final Fantasy games enjoyable, there is much better writing going on in the industry.

And you should know me better than to think I'm actively looking for something to complain about, GoBo. I've gone from one of the most vocal critics to one of the most vocal proponents of Final Fantasy XIV on this forum. I want nothing more than for Square Enix to succeed and start making games that excite me again. I'm genuinely excited for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I'd love to get a proper US release of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. I keep hoping that we hear something new about the progress with Versus XIII.

Final Fantasy XIII was the first Final Fantasy game I have ever sold after completing. It was the first time I have reached the end of a Final Fantasy game and felt completely unmoved and underwhelmed. It's the first Final Fantasy game that I do not just regard as a bad Final Fantasy title but as a bad game (and believe me, there's a significant distinction between the two). Excuse me for being utterly disappointed that Square continues to dump effort into FFXIII when they have other projects sitting on the sidelines that I find much more interesting.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I'll take something said like that, but too many of the snips made at the entire FFXIII franchise are low-blows and judgement before something is even released. Personally I didn't think FFXIII was a bad game, merely a bad Final Fantasy, and I've heard some surprisingly positive things about FFXIII-2 so I'm picking that up (low price tag helps). As someone who's covering and providing the news, it was generally annoying to read 3-5 word negative baseless responses, that statement wasn't specifically at you, you were just the only one to answer it. If you want to make a post about why FFXIII was disappointing and how this doesn't change your mind from that, I can accept that.

Ouch!
12-21-2012, 08:59 PM
That's fair. I'd mostly kept my mockery to snippets because I've been trying to avoid writing an essay every time I post. Don't want to become Steve.

Jiro
12-22-2012, 12:00 AM
I was being facetious. Square Enix are not merely copying stories.

anyway gosh you guys got aggro in here so I'll just wait outside.

Formalhaut
12-22-2012, 12:21 AM

It's the XIII effect.

maybee
12-22-2012, 03:29 AM

It's Christmas season. People's tempers and frustrations and stress are usually up high. ;p

I've been hearing that this game is only 30 % done so there's still a while to go yet.

NinjaCoachZ
12-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Trailer's only got me even more excited for the game. Can't wait to explore Novus Partus and try out the new battle system! I've always been a sucker for exploration in games, so the fact that this one places emphasis on it has got me sold.

Funny thing is that this trailer was part "trailer" and part "teaser". While we did get a pretty good look at the game, the fact that it was rather short and gave us only glimpses of the exploration and combat provides the balance between giving us just enough for a basic picture of the main ideas, and yet just enough to open new questions and let our imaginations run wild with speculation. Tricky of SE, but it's effective marketing.

Psychotic
12-22-2012, 06:03 AM
It interests me more than XIII-2 did. I'm still intrigued by the setting and the gameplay elements so I'm gonna give it some time to see how it plays out.

Del Murder
12-22-2012, 08:41 AM
The FFXIII games have certainly been the most polarizing to date.

krissy
12-24-2012, 04:30 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b7d971af94276a6ddb6017be352b6d94/tumblr_mfidaxyzIq1r8uo3io1_500.png

i dunno

i think ff7 is the most polarizing even if it's an uneven polarity

ff13 is just people who hate it and then people who like it but they don't really attack each other from what i've seen

Del Murder
12-24-2012, 04:39 PM
I think the scientific term for people who don't like FFVII is 'haters gonna hate'. That doesn't make it polarizing.

Raistlin
12-25-2012, 01:58 AM
It interests me more than XIII-2 did. I'm still intrigued by the setting and the gameplay elements so I'm gonna give it some time to see how it plays out.

Ditto. I never could get interested in XIII-2, but the gameplay elements of this actually look interesting. I still don't have very high expectations, but I am interested in finding out more about the game.

krissy
12-26-2012, 05:58 AM
i actually never finished majora's mask because the timeline mechanics really stressed me out
so im a little worried about all the things that are supposed to happen in this

maybee
12-26-2012, 06:08 AM
The FF VII hatedom is a bunch of annoying twelve year olds who hate on the game because they believe that it makes them cool. And they believe that Zack is the real main character and haven't actually even touched the game because the graphics are not HD flashy X-BOX 360 and therefore " it's overrated ".

:roll2

Citizen Bleys
12-26-2012, 06:34 AM

Have you looked at S-E's own forums?

Every thread is the same. "Bitch, bitch, bitch, whine whine, whine, way to suck S-E" while some poor underpaid PR drone has to respond to every thread with a "there there" copypasta.

If there's a technical issue, it's small wonder nothing gets fixed, because the playerbase, it seems, prefers hurling accusations and profanity at S-E to providing useful information such as what type of hardware is in use (routers, etc) and what happens to prompt the issue.

Goldenboko
12-26-2012, 03:39 PM
:exdee: Poor bastards.

Formalhaut
12-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Have you looked at S-E's own forums?

Every thread is the same. "Bitch, bitch, bitch, whine whine, whine, way to suck S-E" while some poor underpaid PR drone has to respond to every thread with a "there there" copypasta.

If there's a technical issue, it's small wonder nothing gets fixed, because the playerbase, it seems, prefers hurling accusations and profanity at S-E to providing useful information such as what type of hardware is in use (routers, etc) and what happens to prompt the issue.

Which is why they should read our forums. Pretty sure none of us here are rabid dogs foaming at the mouth.

Del Murder
12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Not since WK got his shots, at least.

Jiro
12-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Those people complaining are still the ones buying every single game though.

Elpizo
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Not true! I'm a complainer (granted, not that often, but meh) and I haven't bought any SE game since FF XIII! (Well, aside from XIV, because it was cheap.) Or am I the exception that confirms the rule? :confused:

Del Murder
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
If you didn't buy the game, then how could you complain about it? It's a catch-22!

Elpizo
12-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, that goes both ways these days, really. If you didn't buy the game, then how could you praise it? (But in case of XIII, I did buy it, so I can complain all I want. :p )

maybee
12-28-2012, 01:50 AM

This.

I heard like shitloads of people complain and moan about FF13 but then they went along and bought FF13-2. It's giving SE a confusing message I believe.

Aulayna
01-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Not sure what to think - the world seems rather bland and unfinished - honestly those blocky buildings look like something I might've been impressed by had my PS1 been rendering them. The Battle System could be interesting so I'll be reserving judgement on that.

The footage of the gameplay itself seems very Kingdom Hearts-esque which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind learning more about it but this trailer hasn't done anything to provoke any form of excitement out of me. But I'll wait and see what's beneath the surface as XIII-2 has left me with enough confidence to at least give this a shot.

Pete for President
01-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I had no plans to purchase the game; this video reinforces that judgment.

Freya
01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Not sure what to think - the world seems rather bland and unfinished - honestly those blocky buildings look like something I might've been impressed by had my PS1 been rendering them. The Battle System could be interesting so I'll be reserving judgement on that.

The footage of the gameplay itself seems very Kingdom Hearts-esque which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind learning more about it but this trailer hasn't done anything to provoke any form of excitement out of me. But I'll wait and see what's beneath the surface as XIII-2 has left me with enough confidence to at least give this a shot.

At the event they specified the graphics ARE NOT polish or close to finished, they wanted the trailer to show of the gameplay.

Formalhaut
01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't have expected the graphics to be amazing, I think people are hoping for so much when it's still in development :D

TrollHunter
01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Cant watch it yet
Will get back to this when i get interwebs back in my house... In a few days maybe.