PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon vs the Industry

Skyblade
12-20-2012, 05:24 PM
This era is practically the age of the microtransaction. They are expected in nearly every game, to the point that people start guessing at what will be released as DLC almost as soon as a new game is announced.

Yet Pokemon continued to reject this trend. Even in their latest games, or their spinoffs, the DLC for Pokemon games is free, but only available for a limited time.

Why has this series rejected such a popular moneymaking system for so long, and do you think it is a good or bad aspect of the series?

Bunny
12-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Coming next Christmas:

Pokemon Black and White 2.5:

15 new evolutions!
40 never before seen Pokemone!
New Town and Gym!
30 new Pokemon trainers to battle!
New Items! New TMs! New berries!!
AND INTRODUCING NEW LEGENDARY POKEMON:
CASHILES AND CASHIMOR!!

They probably reject it because most of the Pokemon games, at least the main series, are on handheld systems which don't handle DLC very well. The market is also not in their spinoff games or the lesser known titles, but in the main series. They also make enough money on producing the same product over and over again with slight variations that they don't really need to do much else to greet their truckloads of cash.

Slothy
12-21-2012, 04:04 AM
They probably reject it because most of the Pokemon games, at least the main series, are on handheld systems which don't handle DLC very well. The market is also not in their spinoff games or the lesser known titles, but in the main series. They also make enough money on producing the same product over and over again with slight variations that they don't really need to do much else to greet their truckloads of cash.

Let's not forget that when it comes to implementing online features of any kind, Nintendo is that kid in high school who can grow an awesome beard. But that's pretty much all he can do because the only reason his beard is so nice is that he was held back a few grades, and when he beats you up everyone laughs and he steals your lunch money so you go hungry for the afternoon.

I think that metaphor may have gotten away from me a bit.

Bolivar
12-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Can you get DLC on a Nintendo DS? I'm not sure if they've yet to make a game on a console that can handle this kind o thing.

I remember the promotions where you can go to a game store and get a special Pokemon. I'm not sure if that's what you were talking about Skyblade, but I always though they were a really cool social feature of Pokemon. That's what the series has always done - it really invented that social, handheld experience that we've seen the PSP succeed with in Japan and smartphones do in the states.

I guess the real reason is that Nintendo already has a successful, iterative business model for the franchise. They always release that third, blended version after the first two of each gen, like Yellow or Platinum. DLC allows you to raise your average revenue per unit sold, but the third versions (now third and fourth with B&W2) allows Nintendo to sell a ton more units.

I kind of do have to question how much DLC really is important to most developers. I think it's more of a shareholder concern - investors will pull out money if it looks like you're not following the trends. There's only a certain kind of fan who really wants those extra costumes. I don't think many devs have really been that successful, either, making those expansion-like Add-Ons. If anything, I think DLC just helps companies make a few bucks off those used game sales. After you spend as much making the modern AAA game, you need to at least get a few bucks off those used games.

Formalhaut
12-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy was I believe the first game where DLC was quite well handled. While before during the Gameboy to DS eras, handheld games were shoddy at DLC, now surely the market is open enough for some limited DLC to appear.