PDA

View Full Version : Gender-neutral Easy Bake Oven due in 2013

SuperMillionaire
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Gender-Neutral Easy-Bake Oven? Hasbro Responds to 13-year-old Petitioner with New Design | Team Mom - Yahoo! Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/gender-neutral-easy-bake-oven-hasbro-responds-13-024200950.html)

After a 13-year-old New Jersey girl named McKenna Pope asked for a gender-neutral Easy Bake Oven for her little brother, Hasbro has announced that it will make one that will be due in 2013.

Typically, such toys are considered "feminine" and "girly," but if we see girls playing with boys' toys, then why can't boys play with girls' toys? Interestingly enough, while home cooking is mainly associated with women, restaurant cooking is associated with men, many of whom are quite masculine and manly, I must add.

If your little boy asked for an Easy Bake Oven, would you give one to him?

krissy
12-21-2012, 03:35 PM
yes

Jowy
12-21-2012, 03:42 PM
i got one when i was eighteen, it was totally awesome.

Pike
12-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Queasy Bake Oven is superior

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a real oven in my apartment. :p

Pumpkin
12-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I've always wanted an easy bake oven :(.

Jinx
12-21-2012, 03:58 PM
No I wouldn't, because Easy Bake Ovens are shit.

kotora
12-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Re-designing a product to make it "look gender neutral" doesn't seem very gender neutral to me.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Re-designing a product to make it "look gender neutral" doesn't seem very gender neutral to me.

It is if it is entirely grey.

Faris
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
If your little boy asked for an Easy Bake Oven, would you give one to him?

Hmm, that can go either way...
Yes so that I don't have to do all the baking.
No because get out of my kitchen or I'll hit you with a hot spoon >:O

Shoeberto
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
My nephew got one (or found my sister's old one, idk) and he loves the thing. They have to keep buying new mixes for him to bake. It's only weird if you make it weird.

kotora
12-21-2012, 04:04 PM

They're still conforming to ideas of what constitutes gender (in this case, design choices such as the color schema) and removing them in order to make the product more appealing to men. What part about it is gender neutral?
I guess at least it helps in getting rid of the (incredibly retarded) idea that boys aren't supposed to have easy bake ovens.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 04:06 PM

They're still conforming to ideas of what constitutes gender (in this case, design choices such as the color schema) and removing them in order to make the product more appealing to men. What part about it is gender neutral?
I guess at least it helps in getting rid of the (incredibly retarded) idea that boys aren't supposed to have easy bake ovens.

If it's entirely grey, then it's neither boy-ish or girl-ish. >:0

Jinx
12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I think if they put penises all over it, it'd appeal to the little boys AND the little girls.

Old Manus
12-21-2012, 05:05 PM
If black and silver are the only colours I'm allowed then I don't want to be gender neutral. I learned that during my Linkin Park phase.

Laddy
12-21-2012, 05:11 PM
My sister had an Easy Bake Oven. I tore that trout up. :cool:

Balzac
12-21-2012, 05:16 PM
I just used sticks set on fire in a circle of rocks.

Sephex
12-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Or, you can teach your boy to cook straight up. Have all the ladies in da crib--literally.

Yar
12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
My nephew got one (or found my sister's old one, idk) and he loves the thing. They have to keep buying new mixes for him to bake. It's only weird if you make it weird.

Pretty much, yeah. I know there are "girl toys" and "boy toys", but why is cooking considered a feminine thing? Many celebrity chefs are male.

Mirage
12-21-2012, 07:12 PM
What's gender un-neutral about that Easy Bake Oven? The colors most certainly are not.

krissy
12-21-2012, 07:16 PM
purple is a great color
http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/photos/image_20110115/wenn3167357.jpg

http://cdn.windows7themes.net/wallpaper/saints-row-the-third-wallpaper-1.jpg

Mirage
12-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I love purple.

If you couldn't tell by my custom title. Although that's more lavender than purple.

DMKA
12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
I wasn't aware toy appliances were "gender specific" to begin with.

krissy
12-21-2012, 07:33 PM
http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/4965/i-gave-my-daughter-dolls-and-toy-cars.jpg

Mirage
12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Whatever was supposed to be in that post doesn't seem to show up for me.

krissy
12-21-2012, 08:43 PM
To avoid perpetuating gender stereotypes, I gave my daughter a mix of dolls and toy cars to play with. This is what happened. - Imgur (http://imgur.com/gallery/AT2Ak)

*Laurelindo*
12-21-2012, 09:18 PM
It seems like absolutely everything has to be extremely gender-neutral these days.
It's getting kind of ridiculous, tbqh.

Shlup
12-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Even when I was a kid I was appalled by this attempt to make a boy-friendly Easy Bake Oven:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljyxvdHCCK1qhpzp8o1_500.jpg

It's nice to see them just make a regular damn oven.

It seems like absolutely everything has to be extremely gender-neutral these days.

Yeah, next they'll be making a Barbie that thinks she's a doctor! Gender roles are there for a reason!

blackmage_nuke
12-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Even when I was a kid I was appalled by this attempt to make a boy-friendly Easy Bake Oven:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljyxvdHCCK1qhpzp8o1_500.jpg

It's nice to see them just make a regular damn oven.

Dammit I came here to post about this device but Im one post too late

Frankly Im surprised they havent made creepy crawlers for girls with butterflies instead of centipedes

kotora
12-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Except it's not and gender roles are reinforced pretty much in every piece of culture. Maybe less so in Sweden, but it doesn't help if people like you are holding these kinds of attitudes like yours.

Madame Adequate
12-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Who has the first name "McKenna"? :eyebrow: That's just... that ain't right.

Miriel
12-21-2012, 11:13 PM

I know right?! How dare society try and neutralize harmful gender stereotypes. Why should boys be encouraged to cook? That's what girls are for.

blackmage_nuke
12-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I disagree, we shouldnt alter objects to reflect gender neutrality, that only reinforces the thought that certain colours/things belong to certain genders. Humanity should try to change it's thought process such that we view the objects as gender neutral no matter how pink and flowery they are. That is the path to true gender neutrality. Though some people dont like flowers or the colour pink but if studies show there is a correlation between young cookery entusiasts and fans of flowers and pink or whatever, no one should stop them making thier stuff in those designs.

Jiro
12-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I find it funny that when LEGO goes out of their way to do something it's like "oh wow good guy LEGO" but when Hasbro does the same it's like "I think this actually reinforces gender stereotypes rather than breaking them down as it purports to do."

Look at it this way. Some girl asked Hasbro to help her brother out. They're doing it, because it means good publicity. Fuck gender roles and whatever. LEGO didn't cop flak for failing to show that boy the harsh truth that life is not static and sometimes you will miss out.

Miriel
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Ok here's the deal.

1) It is a good thing that Hasbro should widen their marketing/branding so that boys can feel more comfortable asking for things like the Easy Bake Oven which are traditionally heavily targeted to girls ONLY.
2) The fact that both children and adults are uncomfortable with boys playing with what are considered feminine toys is the real problem here. Somehow that little boy knew that being associated with girly things was wrong and shied away from it. THAT is the big underlying issue. Girls play with boy toys and it's totally fine. Some girls even brag about being tomboys. Characters like Arya Stark in Game of Thrones mocks other girls and how she's not like THEM, and people love her for it. Boy stuff = good for everybody! Yay! Girl stuff = ONLY for girls. If you are not girl and you engage with girly stuff, that is bad.
3) Offering "gender neutral" Easy Bakes that are blue, black and silver is not being gender neutral. It's reinforcing gender roles in color. Purple and Pink should not be reserved for girls only. Just like Blue and black shouldn't just be for boys. Real progress would be if there were a pink Easy Bake with a boy on the box and people didn't give a trout about it because why should colors have exclusivity?

I wish the complaint had focused less on the colors and more on the fact that it's ALWAYS girls on the boxes and in the commercials. Because I think that's the bigger issue.

In the end, everyone should know how to make cookies. Everyone. Then there will be more cookies for all.

blackmage_nuke
12-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I find it funny that when LEGO goes out of their way to do something it's like "oh wow good guy LEGO" but when Hasbro does the same it's like "I think this actually reinforces gender stereotypes rather than breaking them down as it purports to do."

Look at it this way. Some girl asked Hasbro to help her brother out. They're doing it, because it means good publicity. Fuck gender roles and whatever. LEGO didn't cop flak for failing to show that boy the harsh truth that life is not static and sometimes you will miss out.

Theyre going through a lot of trouble for a problem which can be solved by the sister sticking some pokemon stickers on a normal easy bake oven.

Jiro
12-22-2012, 12:49 AM
And yet the rationale behind it would be that it is an investment in their image, except apparently we're just ignoring the gesture in favour of a debate of gender roles. If Hasbro had said "fuck you he can play with pink things" then we probably would've been more angry at the fact they are disrespecting customers and less proud of their breaking down of gender stereotypes. It's a lose-lose situation for them apparently.

blackmage_nuke
12-22-2012, 01:14 AM
What they shouldve said was "we will soon be releasing easy bake ovens in a variety of colours to make them feel more personal for the customers, the fact that our products have recently recieved intrest from males is purely coincidental"

Pike
12-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Pink is a terrible color anyway, they should just never make anything in pink.

Mirage
12-22-2012, 05:37 AM
No it is not!

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-22-2012, 06:54 AM
When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? - The Smithsonian Mag (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html?c=y&page=1)

It would seem that the whole gendered colors thing is a more recent invention of the human fancy.

I find it funny how the stereotype of "women-in-the-kitchen" is so prevalent when the restaurant industry is traditionally and predominantly male. It is like this schism between the domestic and the industry.

fire_of_avalon
12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
It is exactly a schism between domestic, homemaking behavior and industrial, professional behavior. Women aren't traditionally chefs because being a chef is hard and it's a profession and women can't have that because they have to make babies.

Raistlin
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I disagree, we shouldnt alter objects to reflect gender neutrality, that only reinforces the thought that certain colours/things belong to certain genders. Humanity should try to change it's thought process such that we view the objects as gender neutral no matter how pink and flowery they are.

I agree with this and Miriel's comments; having to change something to make it "gender-neutral" is in itself a reinforcement of gender roles. But at least they've stopped marketing it exclusively for girls, which is a step in the right direction. Baby steps, I guess.

Boy stuff = good for everybody! Yay! Girl stuff = ONLY for girls. If you are not girl and you engage with girly stuff, that is bad.

Obviously girls have cooties and are icky.