PDA

View Full Version : What's the best version of each Final Fantasy?

Futan
12-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Pretty much this thread: http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy/144599-whats-best-version-final-fantasy.html but for each one.

I plan on whipping out the emulators soon and play all the FFs I haven't(I-IV), and maybe go all the way up to XII. There's so many remakes these days I'm not sure which versions to play. :-/ The consensus in that thread seems to be the Origins version is the best of the original FF. What about II and beyond? :o

NinjaCoachZ
12-22-2012, 11:05 PM
IV - PSP
V - GBA (no contest; unlike the others, pretty much everyone will agree on this one)
VI - GBA may have the most content and bonuses, but there's not much wrong with SNES either, and the translation is arguably more lively (the music is objectively of higher quality, too). The PS1 version is the weakest of the three due to its lack of major advantages.

Gamblet
12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I played all of them on my PS1. No complaints except the loading times, but there are none on the emulator anyway and I got used to them.

Bolivar
12-24-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm not sure which are the best but my favorites are:

FFI & II - Dawn of Souls
FFIII - Nintendo DS
FFIV - PSP
FFV - PlayStation One
FFVI - RPGOne translation by ChirsRPG and Skyrender
FFVII-IX - PSOne Classics file on a PSP (Graphics) or on a PlayStation hooked up to an SDTV with surround sound
FFX - lol, the Vita version's never coming
FFXII - I've only played it one way
FFXIII - PlayStation 3 had better graphics and audio but you can't go wrong either way.

Never played the online ones, but I assume you would play it on a PC?

Futan
12-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Really not much of a difference between 'best' and 'favorite' from at least an individual point of view so that's perfect. :)

Thanks to everyone so far.

black orb
12-24-2012, 04:19 AM
>>> The originals for me..:luca:

I have hopes for the new FFX one..

Yar
12-24-2012, 05:07 AM
I & II - PlayStation. Bug fixes, and better translations. Also, the GBA and PSP versions are so dumbed down that there is hardly even any challenge. NES versions are second best because of their difficulty, but they are filled with bugs.
III - Probably DS over the NES version. I hear it's more balanced, but I think both versions have serious flaws. I prefer the NES version to be honest, but I can see how the DS version is "better".
IV - The DS version is my favorite. But it's so different from the original 2D version. I'd say the best version of the 2D game may be the European GBA version (bug fixes over the NA version)
V - GBA version, no contest.
VI - GBA version. Slightly better translation and bug fixes.

Don't bother with the PSX versions of IV throught VI, the wait times are ridiculous and V's translation is probably the worst thing I've ever seen.

:D

Gamblet
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I played all of them on my PS1. No complaints except the loading times, but there are none on the emulator anyway and I got used to them.

Oh wait, I did not play FF III on my PS1 since there isn't one for that. I played the original NES version and there was nothing wrong with that, only the difficulty was quite hard.

Don't bother with the PSX versions of IV throught VI, the wait times are ridiculous and V's translation is probably the worst thing I've ever seen.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/biggrin.gif

He said he is going to use emulators anyway so there should not be any problems.
The translation of FFV wasn't so bad according to my memory or is it?

Bolivar
12-24-2012, 04:26 PM
^ I've never had much of a problem with it either. The load times weren't obtrusive like VI either. I think the PlayStation version is pretty solid, and I'm not sure FFV is a game where you really care too much about the translation anyhow.

Yar
12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
^ I've never had much of a problem with it either. The load times weren't obtrusive like VI either. I think the PlayStation version is pretty solid, and I'm not sure FFV is a game where you really care too much about the translation anyhow.
If they weren't obtrusive then you have the patience of a saint. Compared to the SNES and GBA versions, it was way too long.

Even if you emulate the game, the load time will still be long.

FFV's story may be lighthearted, but that still isn't a good enough excuse for the piss poor localization of the PSX version if you ask me. The PSX's version is unacceptable, but I think the GBA localization of FFV is the best localization of any version of any of the first six games of the series.