PDA

View Full Version : You know what really rustled my jimmies about this game?

NinjaCoachZ
12-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Finally making it through the Cave to the Sealed Gate, and then after saving my game realizing that I missed Ultima Weapon.

I survived, but my jimmies didn't.

Jowy
12-23-2012, 01:48 AM
I used the magicite consumable item from one of the treasure chests in there and blew myself up with Crusader my first trip through. Had to do it again!

VeloZer0
12-23-2012, 02:01 AM
The fact that Ultima Weapon was miss-able really pissed me off on my first play-through. I was so upset that that is all I think about when I go through the cave.

Sephiroth
12-23-2012, 03:03 AM
I missed Water Rondo the first time, I think. In the GBA version you have at least Leviathan's battle for a new chance.

blackmage_nuke
12-23-2012, 03:36 AM
I didnt wait for Shadow my first time around

maybee
12-23-2012, 05:10 AM
I end up missing on River Rondo every-time I play...

Jiro
12-23-2012, 08:02 AM
I didnt wait for Shadow my first time around

Yeah I didn't understand how long you had to wait. I sort of knew that Shadow was coming, but I was like "uh come on dude we need to go" and :(

I also missed Ultima Weapon on my second attempt at the game because that fucking cave is horrible.

maybee
12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Oh man.

Leaving Shadow behind and then end up finding out that you killed him, because you didn't wait for him is rough. But you don't want to restart because your already gone through so much effort. It's rough.

Mirage
12-23-2012, 11:26 AM
That feel when you killed Shadow.

Spooniest
12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Wanna know what "rustles my jimmies?"

FUCKING GAU AND THE GOD DAMN VELDT!!!

I'm always getting through a cave and then I think "Oh, there's a formation I haven't encountered yet" and I have to keep fighting battles, just fighting random fucking battles until I've encountered all the different monster types so they appear on the Veldt!

JUST FUCK THE VELDT, FUCK GAU, FUCK YOU, AND YOU, AND *YOU'RE* NEXT!!

NinjaCoachZ
12-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Ah, Gau. The whole Veldt thing was so tedious, that I just didn't bother and tossed him to the wayside. Gotta give the developers props for creating a unique character and skill-learning system... but at the same time, take away the props due to how much of a pain it is.

I think this game, IX and VII are right up there as the absolute worst when it comes to permanently missable stuff. I'm pretty sure this is the only game in the series where one false step means you've forever lost a whole character.

It also bugged me that the original version didn't have Leviathan in it. I'm glad they added him to the GBA release.

Roogle
12-23-2012, 09:45 PM
There were a lot of missables in this game. I am not sure if the concept of being forgiving enough to give the player a second chance at special items and sidequests was invented until long after this game, but I disliked the waiting for Shadow deal as you had to wait until there were only seconds left before he would show up. I'm not sure how many first time players would figure that out on their own.

maybee
12-24-2012, 12:21 AM
^
It adds a second playthrough though. As soon as the you get passed the game the first time it's like "c'mon lets get Shadow this time guys " !

Or was it just me ?

Citizen Bleys
12-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Wanna know what "rustles my jimmies?"

smurfING GAU AND THE GOD DAMN VELDT!!!

I'm always getting through a cave and then I think "Oh, there's a formation I haven't encountered yet" and I have to keep fighting battles, just fighting random smurfing battles until I've encountered all the different monster types so they appear on the Veldt!

JUST smurf THE VELDT, smurf GAU, smurf YOU, AND YOU, AND *YOU'RE* NEXT!!

I've heard that you're taking a stand against that FILTHY DEVIL, Godwin! You're going to BASH him up good?! This is absolutely wonderful news! That insalubrious blackguard Godwin is truly the very SOUL of evil incarnate! His PESTIFEROUS being spreads evil to everything it TOUCHES! Stormfist USED to be mine, I tell you! It RIGHTFULLY belongs to the House of Aethelbald! He TOOK it from me, he TRICKED everyone! FILTHY, FILTHY, DEVIL! No QUARTER or MERCY for the FILTHY DEVIL! BASH HIS EXECRABLEMALEFICENT RANCOROUSDAMNABLEFACE! DEVIL! PERFIDIOUSMISERABLEODIOUSWRESTCH!! GEETAAAAARRRGH!!!

Wolf Kanno
12-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Bleys you're drunk, and this isn't the Suikoden forum you go to, remember they banned you for this very thing... :eep:

VI does have a lot of missables, especially since they liked to give you choices like the Ragnarok Magicite/Sword question. I think the only thing that ever seriously annoyed me was that saving Cid nets you nothing of interest. It is so much better to kill him and after I learned this, I purposely poison his ass with weak fish. I also remember getting annoyed about not knowing the lyrics for the opera song, not realizing the book on the counter in the backstage contained the lyrics sheet/blocking. Non-Standard Game overs are a bit rough... :(

Greatermaximus
12-25-2012, 12:44 AM
More incrimination. We can have more sympathy for the newer players too. I did miss Shadow and Water Rongo my first playthrough but not the Atma Weapon.

I also missed some of the Espers too. I also missed Umaro and Gogo. The collapsing cliff didn't ring a bell to me. I was too strong for the ZoneEater.

SkyRender
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
I guess one of the main things in the game that rustled my jimmies was the disappointment over getting Crusader. It was pretty exciting hunting down all the dragons and receiving a countdown after each kill. I was pretty pumped about what it would reveal and I went nuts over getting the magicite. Then I casted Crusader once and I think I never used it again....

Another thing that rustled my jimmies that wasn't in the game was the lack of a tough boss to test my skills against. If there is any other remake of this game, I hope they put an epic weapon in to deal with. Oh, and that spare dungeon in the GBA was pathetic. My epic man squad (Gau, Umaro, Mog, Gogo)** raped everything in the dungeon.

Finally, and this is a total noob thought, I was disappointed over not having any references to FF2 [Yes, I know it's FF4 and I always call it that, but first time playing I thought this was FF3 and immediately preceded Cecil's epic tale.] When I stumbled upon an underground Castle via Figaro and read references to the war of Magi. I thought it was referencing FF4. Hell, it even had Odin[or maybe just Raiden] in the basement! I still like to think the Ancient Castle and the paladin shield are a salute to Baron and Cecil!

***This party is fun to use because you can't control any of the characters and they just go nuts. In my my countless playthroughs of FF6 my party always consists of a theme and this one is perhaps my favorite. As an added bonus, if you split this party into 3 groups to fight Kefka {Mog, Umaro, Gogo} there is essentially no talk scene before fighting Kefka. Mog just yells KUPO and the fight starts. How I wish there was a third character that didn't talk....