PDA

View Full Version : First person vs. Third person

Pike
12-25-2012, 01:08 AM
So, in games where the game is playable either way and you have a choice... which do you prefer?

I ask this because I've noticed I have this weird tendency to switch from the default first-person-view in TES games to third-person-view when I can. I think I just like seeing all my fancy-dancy armor and such.

How about you guys?

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-25-2012, 03:54 AM
In TES, I play most of the game in first person. It makes fighting, looting, EVERYTHING so much easier. I'll switch to third person if I'm traveling on foot occasionally just to see my character.

Jiro
12-25-2012, 04:43 AM
I prefer third person because wtf is the point of having a cool character you never see, but oh man TES makes it hard to loot and do all sorts of stuff outside of first person.

Futan
12-25-2012, 05:39 AM
Usually the default. It seems like with games that offer both, whatever the non-default is is half-assed at best. :-/

Yar
12-25-2012, 05:50 AM
I usually have a hard time playing first person games because they give me motion sickness. :S If I can switch the game to third person without it affecting the game play too much, then I do it that way. If I can't, then I usually just don't play it.

Except for Elder Scrolls games. For some reason they don't make me sick! So I stick to first person.

Del Murder
12-25-2012, 07:37 AM
I prefer third person and usually play that way when I have the option. I find first person view boring. I've never played a TES game so I don't know how good first person is.

NorthernChaosGod
12-25-2012, 11:22 AM
I can't think of any games outside of TES where you can play in either like that, but I always play in third person. I don't have a problem doing anything that way and I like watching my character.

Nicolas
12-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Usually the default. It seems like with games that offer both, whatever the non-default is is half-assed at best. :-/

Me concur. Mostly due to the same reasons. The alternate is always an afterthought for such games that it becomes fairly annoying to play.

Slothy
12-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I've got to agree. I play TES games in first person because the third person camera is a half assed, god awful mess.

Pike
12-25-2012, 06:20 PM
TES could do it better but it's still playable. Morrowind especially. Skyrim, eh, the camera seems to float in this weird position and it could use improvement. But I like seeing my sexy Dunmer gentleman run around and destroy things, so. :jess:

Mirage
12-25-2012, 10:03 PM
in TES and Fallout3/NV, I usually play in first person view. I occasionally go to TPV to get a look at my awesome gurl fucking shit up.

Psychotic
12-25-2012, 10:06 PM
in TES and Fallout3/NV, I usually play in first person view. I occasionally go to TPV to get a look at my awesome gurl fucking shit up.This.

Although Star Wars Battlefront had first and third person views and I definitely preferred the latter.

Loony BoB
12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
First Person. It's rare that I find a camera system that works well for me when using third person. I'd probably get used to it like I have with many TPS-only games, but yeah.

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I like third person in Halo, because it means I'm nailing a sweet assassination on somebody.

Levian
12-26-2012, 01:51 AM
Third person definitely.

I typically don't like genres or games where first person would be better for optimal gaming, so I'm not taking that into account.

Flaming Ice
12-26-2012, 02:21 AM
1st person...easier to control

Greatermaximus
12-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Why do you ask? There's plenty of room and time to program a game with either view point available to the character. It would be incriminating to place one over the other. But if I could only save one choice from the fires of doom it would be third person.

I should add an emoticon to not sound so prim but I should also know better to give free advice.

Bolivar
12-26-2012, 02:58 AM
In Oblivion first person but like others I switch it up every now and then to see my PC

I really liked Modern Warfare 2's third person playlists as a cool way to switch things up every now and then but obviously first person is best, especially since optical attachments are otheewise useless.

Not really on topic but I thought it was awesome that MGS allowed you to first person ADS for extra accuracy. I thought that was a nice little feature that put Metal Gear Online just a bit above other third person multiplayer shooters.