PDA

View Full Version : The way I'm treated, I may as well just sell my body to the night.

Jinx
12-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Okay, so. It wasn't enough that I worked 8p Christmas Eve to 10p Christmas Day, no?

Most of you know my job. I am a care provider for adults with special needs. Not surprisingly, people with special needs require medications. To be able to give them their meds, you must take a special course and be certified. THEN YOU MUST BE TRAINED IN THEIR HOUSE WITH THEIR SPECIFIC NEEDS FOR THEIR INDIVIDUAL MEDS.

Well, this morning, after passing meds to my guys, I made them go back to sleep. IT IS CHRISTMAS AFTER ALL. At 9a I got a call from my supervisor. He asked me to drive 5 minutes with one of my clients (who can't be home alone) to pass meds in a house of a client I didn't know, and didn't know their meds or medical history. I told him I felt uncomfortable doing that, and I would not do that. He yelled at me about how he'd have to figure something out.

1. I am sorry that the staff who was supposed to pass meds forgot to. Call that person and MAKE THEM GO BACK AND TO THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THEIR JOBS?
2. I am not forcing my client to get out of bed and go over to another client's house for something like that. It is absolutely inappropriate.
3. You're the fucking supervisor. I'm sorry you live 35 minutes away, but this is really your responsibility at the end of the day, not mine.

Anyways, it just pissed me off.

When has your job been dicks to you/tried to take advantage of you/taken advantage of you?

Balzac
12-26-2012, 05:24 AM
All the time, I'm a freelance designer, people try to fuck me over on a daily basis. :/

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I currently unload trucks for a living. It's my first job, so whatever. We have a time limit and not only do we have to move very fast but we have to stack boxes well. So...

-On days where we have 1/3 of our crew management expects each person to do the work of 3 people and when we don't they complain.
-When we pull boxes out to the sales floor the overnight stockers complain to us that we're bringing them too much stuff even though unloaders don't control the truck sizes.
-"You're still not done yet?", "Pick up the pace!" and "What's taking you guys so long?" are heard on a daily basis.
-I work 2nd shift, and 3rd shift gets angry when we don't have time to downstack their grocery trucks on nights where we have 2 general merchandise trucks. (The goal is 1,000 pieces an hour, so if we have two 2,000 piece trucks, we just barely get done by lunch, what do they expect?)
-Most of the people we work with can't do our job. Whenever people in other departments have to come help us when we're running behind (which is a lot of the time due to what I see as unrealistic expectations) they complain about how much it sucks and how much they hurt after 5 minutes. Yet they want to look down on us.
-On top of all that we have the lowest pay grade in the store, cater to the other shifts needs, and are frequently left out of special meals/events.

Also this job is likely to cause back injury and there isn't a single unloader who doesn't go home with aching feet every single night. I remember the first month I had this job I was limping out of the building every night.

Luckily i'm working my buns off pretty hard and I'm one of the hardest workers back there, so I'll be getting a promotion to Backroom Supervisor pretty soon. Dat pay raise and less work sounds nice.

Some of that was just about how bad my job sucks and not about how the highers ups treat me. But what the heck, i'm talking about it anyway.

Parker
12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
You're like the third care worker I know who has been screwed over at Christmas. Are all careworker supervisors/bosses evil or something?

My lame little job screws me at a daily basis. The usual one is giving me the wrong shift and yelling at me when I don't turn up.

Jinx
12-27-2012, 02:08 PM
You know, I chose to work Christmas. It was part of a shift trade. I still got to spend Christmas with my family, as I just took my boys over to my house.

But yeah, all of our supervisors are shit. My mom works for the same company, but in a different house. She has a different supervisor who pulled some crap on her on Christmas too.

Flaming Ice
12-27-2012, 02:43 PM
My work hours aren't set so I have to write my hours down ....My boss left some of the sheets in a binder (where we sign that we've gotten our pay).

He was writing over top of my hours :eep: ...But he takes the schedule down on saturday before I can write my hours down ...a couple times he cut back an hour.

Then, there are a few time I wrote "8:45", "8:15"...he crossed out the the 15/45.

But I was going to quit before so he no longer does it (just need to check the written down hours by day now).

Also, he has me dishwash and cook on Mon/Tues...he used to get pissed I was taking too long because the dishwashers didn't take that long.

I even did more work than the dishwashers, they usually leave a couple bins full of dishes at the end of the night, I get pretty much all of them done (sometimes you can't help it when people come in after you've turned off the machine) and they don't clean under the deep fryer that well.

And, usually, the dishwasher/"chef" get to leave early on the weekends so I'm stuck cleaning, dishwahing, and doing orders while still finding that half hour for my break.....Then they expect me to come in and help if they get busy while I'm taking my break

Formalhaut
12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
My brother's girlfriend was a care worker doing basically the same job and she was screwed over many times before. It's part of the reason why she quit in the end. However, it's a quality profession whose workers don't really get enough credit where it's due really.

Have you complained with a superior about the situation? It seems like a real cock-up on the part of your supervisor. However, it probably would be a good idea just to clear the air with the supervisor; don't want a negative atmosphere with your work colleagues.

Parker
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
However, it's a quality profession whose workers don't really get enough credit where it's due really.

Highlighting this. I am consistently impressed by people who can do this kind of work, and the stuff they put up with.

Chris
12-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Me: I can help you out with an extra shift this weekend.

Boss: Fine, thank you.

She clearly wasn't satisfied.

Comes to work and looks at the schedule... I'm on for two extra shifts, and both weekends.

Mother smurfing smurf.

Pike
12-30-2012, 01:44 AM
When has your job been dicks to you/tried to take advantage of you/taken advantage of you?

There was one place I worked at for three years who wouldn't let me call in sick. If I did, they'd say "We're sorry but we really need you today." A couple of times I showed up on like three different kinds of meds whilst sneezing and coughing all over the place and making occasional mad dashes for the bathroom. The best they ever did for me was let me leave a half hour early one of those times. So that day, whilst feeling deathly ill, I worked a 7 1/2 hour shift rather than an 8 hour one. :monster:

Cuchulainn
01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
so we've all espablished from klast nights shenanigans that tifa tits is an aggressive drunk. Duely noted.

Quindiana Jones
01-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Well, I'm about to become a TEFL teacher, so I expect I will be answering "all the time" shortly.

Araciel
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Ever since I got to a position where I was promoted out of the union, my hours worked have gone from 37.5 to about 50 per week.

Freya
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM

There was one place I worked at for three years who wouldn't let me call in sick. If I did, they'd say "We're sorry but we really need you today." A couple of times I showed up on like three different kinds of meds whilst sneezing and coughing all over the place and making occasional mad dashes for the bathroom. The best they ever did for me was let me leave a half hour early one of those times. So that day, whilst feeling deathly ill, I worked a 7 1/2 hour shift rather than an 8 hour one. :monster:

That's my current problem. "I'm feeling really bad i need to stay home" "nope" "what" "no we need you" Only way I've gotten a few sick days off recently is going to the freaking ER. I wouldn't have had to go if I could have just got time off work to go to the regular doctor but nope.

They are fully taking advantage of me now. My asst manager has been well, he was out for 2 months super sick then came back and got a second job so he couldn't open. Well They took advantage of the fact that I could, so I have been working his hours with my shitty pay for the pay 4 months. I really hate it.

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 03:12 PM
"Sorry, I can't come in today. I'm ill as hell."
"Nope, we need you."
"Well, fuck off. I'm ill. I have [x] sick days a year. This is one."

Freya
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Sick days? What's that. I don't have those

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
lol, land of liberty /pg

Bunny
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Out of curiosity, do you work for Mosaic?