PDA

View Full Version : Don't call it a New Year's resolution thread....

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm not a fan of New Year's resolutions. In my opinion if something is worth doing, than you should get started on it as soon as you can. It seems "waiting for the first of the year to lose 50 pounds" is an excuse to put off something that requires effort for just a little big longer. I find that people who make resolutions tend to burn out faster than people who make an immediate plan of action and then set out accordingly.

On the flip side, the holidays can be a hectic time! So a good time to follow through with plans coincides with the exit of family visits, big meals, and so forth. There's less on your mind after that point so you can concentrate on yourself more afterwards.

But hey, I'm not about to discourage anyone who wants to better themselves. Do you have any resolutions for the new year? What are some of the things you'd like to get done or are going to continue to do in 2013?

As for myself:

-I plan on making my "brief history of..." series about the different classes in Final Fantasy a bi-weekly article for the forums. You can expect a piece on thieves in the beginning of the year!

-A few more one-off articles! I'd like to write a piece on Gunblades, tell you all my thoughts on the underrated Chocobo Racing for the PlayStation, and an article about video games in popular media and how they aren't just a mindless waste of time (referencing FF several times throughout). More ideas to come throughout the year, I'm sure ;)

-I've been eating healthy and trying to get more exercise. Quitting soda has been pretty hard so far. I'm making goals for myself and looking forward to continuing my route towards a healthier life in the coming year.

-I have an electric guitar, a bass guitar, a drum set, and two keyboards. In the future I'd like to pick up the harmonica. Music is a huge passion of mine so I must continue to practice, practice, practice. I once heard someone say "You can be great at one instrument, or just good at several of them". I don't like that quote, but I guess it's all in how you divide your time.

-I love playing video games and watching anime. It was only in the later half of 2012 that I really sat down and did either of those things this year so I hope to see the trend continue into the new year.

-More reading! Whether it's manga or books with extensive chapters about the universe, I want to continue reading a lot. I'll set up a page on Goodreads and some of you might possibly share a love of certain books with me, so that will be fun.

In 2013 I'll be sure to use the monthly data log thread to keep track of progress through certain things. It will be interesting to see how far I've come this time next year! How am I going to have time for all this? I have no idea.

I'd love to know what your ambitions are for the new year :D

Pike
12-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm just a couple days away from being able to say I've 100%'d my resolution from last year :jess:

This year, hmm. Maybe beating 12 games from my backlog. I'd do more but work really cuts into more important things like my gaming time.

Jinx
12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Save some moohlahs

Agent Proto
12-26-2012, 03:34 PM
I guess more reading should be done in 2013. I've only started picking up during the latter part of this year, so I intend to pick up on it in 2013. :)

Shorty
12-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd like to make an effort to do one nice thing for a stranger or someone I know anonymously once a week for the year. I think once a day is a little too ambitious.

I'd also like to get back to my high school size, and with the progress I made this year it seems pretty doable. It's more of a continuation of what I'm already doing, though. We'll see!

Raistlin
12-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Get a paying job.
Save the world.

Roughly in that order.

Jiro
12-27-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm undecided on whether I should add "survive" to the list yet.

Balzac
12-27-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm going to start making short movies. I would like to pump out one a month, but I know that won't happen at first but I'll get there.

TrollHunter
12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
-Reach second degree brown belt in kung fu. I'll probably reach this goal sometime during the summer though.
>Learn the kwan dao and spear forms ties into this.

-Get all of my college crap done so I can start it off with a bang in the fall

-get my drivers permit: Shocker, ever since I got hit by a truck when I was 7, driving has been quite a subconscious fear that I've only recently truly discovered. As such, I've been putting off getting my permit for years, and this has restricted my freedom as much as anyone who can drive could imagine.

-Don't let myself become overcome by stress or anxiety: These have plagued me ever since I started middle school, and O've only begun to understand how to control these from having a negative impact on my life. Need to work on it more.

-Learn how to properly sew: It's a damn useful skill that I need to learn sometime, as it could save me a lot of money on clothing as long as I have the material.

-Stay optimistic and realistic: A balance between these two mindsets is essential for my sanity to stay intact.

Night Fury
12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I'd like to get all my stuff sorted for my year abroad, which includes saving some money, getting myself an Aussie beach body ;D ehehehe aannnnd GRADUATING :D

kotora
12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Rough plan for 2013:

Getting ripped/maintaining my GTL regime
Graduate and start working doing something relevant abroad. Continue to study or going fulltime into journalism? Gotta figure that one out.
And of course pull some girls

Freya
01-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Make sure there is an article posted a day. That's my big one right now.
Lose weight (of course but no really I'm already eating spinach xP I've been havign too many health issues lately I just need to take a better healthier lifestyle on.)
Write more novels/work on existing ones
Get a better job.

Flaming Ice
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Get a paying job.
Save the world.

Roughly in that order.
I'm destroying it though....guess we'll be enemies :eek:

Sephex
01-01-2013, 07:59 PM
*I really should try to drink less alcohol and eat better.

*I should try to write for the website my friends and I have more.

*I should continue getting better at not worrying so much and simply taking action.

*Do more nice things in general.

*Be a more active member of this community since I have actually managed to stick around for a whole year straight now, and it has been the most fun I ever had in an online community.

Night Fury
01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I've narrowed mine down a little, well set a solid goal.

SAVE £4k! (I'm at £1300)

Laddy
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Not make so many goddamn Resolution threads. :roll2

krissy
01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
lots of sex

Mercen-X
01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Not make so many goddamn Resolution threads. :roll2

I knew I'd seen one somewhere. Oh, well... I can't make up my mind. I keep making up new ones. I'm sure they all count if I make them all in January. lol