PDA

View Full Version : Games for a first time Wii owner?

Jinx
12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
So last night my parents bought a Wii--not my first choice in a current-gen console, but whatevs. Why listen to their daughter who has friends who a.) work in game shops b.) spend as much time as possible doing vidya c.) posts on a video game forum.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on games for the Wii!

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

I also really want a Wii to check out Xenoblade Chronicles.

Jinx
12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

I also really want a Wii to check out Xenoblade Chronicles.

I've played Brawl before and thought it was dull.

But thanks for the suggestions! :)

Flaming Ice
12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
The two said above

Last Story
Phantom Brave (it's a strategy rpg, it depends on what you like though because if you see NIS on the label it's usually something quirky)

Kirby collection ....if you played kirby before and like it (it's nothing new and features older games with their older graphics)

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (expensive though)

Mario Kart racing

But Xenoblade Chronicles is probably the closest game you'll get to a final fantasy game

Bubba
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
I'll echo the above posts in regards to Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story. If you didn't play Zelda:Twilight Princess on the Gamecube then I would recommend that ahead of the newer Zelda:Skyward Sword.

For good old-fashioned gaming fun then you can pick up both the Super Mario Galaxy games for reasonably cheap now. Both of them are just a ridiculous amount of fun.

Also Resident Evil 4 is excellent if you like that sort of thing... scares the shit out of me. After that I'd say Okami was one of my favourite games. It's been out on a few platforms but the Wii version is perfect for this type of game.

Formalhaut
12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Mmm.. my suggestions would be:

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl : Oh wait, you said you thought it dull. Ah. Ignore this then.
- Mario Kart Wii : But of course.
- Wii Sports Resort : Actually quite good fun! Particularly the sword-fighting and archery...
- Wii Fit Plus : Probably not as good as the gym, but I like it. Quite good fun with family too.
- Super Mario Galaxy II : A masterpiece of a game. Play the first one as well if you have money
- Zelda: Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess : If you like Zelda, these are both great games.

That's my personal collection, I own them all except the Zelda games. I think what would help us is to know what sort of games you enjoy playing? What genres, style, do you like playing with friends and family?

Shoeberto
12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Mario Galaxy (Galaxy 2 is probably ballin' too but I haven't played it)
Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
New Super Mario Bros Wii (GREAT with friends but awesome on its own too)
Metroid Prime 3
No More Heroes 1 and 2

Avoid Metroid: Other M. It's shit.

NeoCracker
12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I echo No More Heroes. Those are two of the best games on the Wii. Just a for warning, they are a tincy bit strange.

Evastio
12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
For games I've personally played:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (you might get into it more once you start unlocking characters and other content, not to mention the large variety of game modes)
Mario Kart Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Kirby's Epic Yarn (it might be a bit too easy for your tastes, but the unique yarn style gameplay and graphics might interest you)
Rayman Origins (if you don't already have it for other consoles)

Keep in mind I'm a big 2D platforming fan (it's my most favourite game genre), so my list might be a little biased. Okay, it's insanely biased. But all of those games I listed above have generally gotten scores above 80% and have been selling a large amount. Also, if you don't have anyone to play these games with, they probably won't be as enjoyable.

As for games I haven't personally played:

Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2 (many sites regard these two as the best Wii games ever)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Xenoblade Chronicles (it's insanely good from what I've heard)
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower (if you live in Europe, it's not released in North America)
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (it's extremely difficult though)
Monster Hunter Tri

Jowy
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
If you can find a copy for less than $100, get the Metroid Prime trilogy. Xenoblade is another good call, but you will have to drop another thirty bucks on the classic controller for that to work (I've been told it doesn't work with GameCube controllers). Super Paper Mario, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Skyward Sword are also highly recommended.

Or just get Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and play the best game Nintendo has made in the past decade.

Shoeberto
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
I echo No More Heroes. Those are two of the best games on the Wii. Just a for warning, they are a tincy bit strange.
Haha... tincy bit.

The entire premise of the game is that you bought a lightsaber on eBay and just start fighting dudes in a bar with it and end up battling for the top spot in an international league of assassins. And that's probably the least crazy part of the story.

NinjaCoachZ
12-27-2012, 07:53 PM
In addition to all of the above, if you like fighting games then Tatsunoko VS Capcom is a must. It's a great game, better than Marvel VS Capcom 3 IMO. It's out of print though, so you'll have to buy it used.

I also recommend Klonoa, which is an absolutely wonderful and highly underrated platformer, and Sonic Colours.

Formalhaut
12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Haha... tincy bit.

The entire premise of the game is that you bought a lightsaber on eBay and just start fighting dudes in a bar with it and end up battling for the top spot in an international league of assassins. And that's probably the least crazy part of the story.

I've never played it, but I too am going to voice my support for No More Heroes. It looks very original.

Flaming Ice
12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Oh..if you want another rpg there's arc rise fantasia.....the combat system isn't too bad; it requires ap for all actions and magic has mp but magic is more limited and you can use the same character more than once. (so turn based but based upon spending ap in battles).

The characters did seem a bit disappointing but, overall, it's not too bad of a game.

Madonna
12-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Xenoblade is another good call, but you will have to drop another thirty bucks on the classic controller for that to work (I've been told it doesn't work with GameCube controllers).Play with the Wiimote and nunchuck, you big baby.

Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles are awesome and addictive, and I must pile on these two titles. If you are into something cute and whimsical, I put forward Little King's Story; you play a little boy who becomes king of basically a field and you expand your empire by ruthlessly enslaving your neighbors.

If you want to play with your parents: Boom Blox.

...And if you are anything like Kalilung, play Endless Ocean. You scuba dive to Celtic Woman and pet fishes.

Polnareff
12-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Let's see.

MadWorld (if you hate violent games, this one's not for you. But it's pretty cool)
Arc Rise Fantasia
Rune Factory: Frontier (I freaking LOVE this game)
Zack & Wiki
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
The Last Story
Spyborgs
Rayman Origins
Trauma Team
Resident Evil 4 (best version of RE4 available)
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Monster Hunter 3 (although I don't think you can play online on it anymore)
Klonoa
New Super Mario Bros.
Both No More Heroes games
Okami
Kirby Collection
House of the Dead: Overkill
Res Steel 2
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Tennis
Kirby: Return to Dream Land
Super Paper Mario
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes

I honestly cannot recommend Xenoblade Chronicles myself. I fucking hated it, but everyone else and their mom seems to have liked it so try it too, I suppose. :colbert:

Here's some cool Gamecube stuff too (I don't know if you got a regular Wii or the Family Edition that can't play GC stuff):

Gotcha Force
Tales of Symphonia
Sonic Gems Collection
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
PK: Out of the Shadows
Cubivore
F-Zero GX

Also, I highly recommend the Phoenix Wright games if you are able to use your Wii online and have never played them before. They have them on the Nintendo e-shop or whatever it's called. They only have up to Trials and Tribulations, though (the 3rd game).

Shauna
12-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Kirby's Epic Yarn pretty good too. :3

I enjoyed playing Epic Mickey, but I'm not sure whether I'd actually recommend or not. xD

Madonna
12-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Oh! I cannot believe I forgot this! This is a beautiful sidescrolling brawler with RPG elements, and is absolutely worth your time. I have to murder the guy I lent this to, whose ex then ran off and sold all of his belongings.

Jowy
12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Hell, it works with the wiimote/nunchuck? Dude at the Exchange lied.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-29-2012, 12:17 AM
My absolute favorite game for the Wii is probably Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon. The combat is pretty clunky, and the game has a bit too much backtracking in it. However, the story, characters, and world all really pulled me into the game. It is also pretty beautiful to look at at times. Due to the clunky gameplay and sometimes archaic design choices, I can see why people may not enjoy the game. I love it though.

I'll second Little King Story. That game has provided many hours of entertainment for me.

I have yet to play Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, Last Story, or Skyward Swords; but those would all be pretty solid choices.

On the downloadable front, World of Goo is a fun puzzle game if you are into those. I also really like LostWinds, which is a pretty relaxing game.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I don't have my Wii with me, and it has been a long time since I've played. I'm sure I am missing something on my list of games you should look up for Wii.

KentaRawr!
12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Sin and Punishment 2 is a really good game if you're into sh'mups, but the story is pretty dreadful.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a really great 3D platformer. So is SMG1, but I feel like the second game basically improves on everything.

For 2D platforming, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a really enjoyable game. It has co-op, too!

For RPGs, I have to echo the above posts on Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. They're both really good. If you have to choose between the two, I would prefer Xenoblade, but The Last Story was directed by Sakaguchi and has music by Uematsu. This being an FF forum, maybe you'd prefer that? :P

Zelda: Skyward Sword is really good if you have a motion+, but some people really like it while others seem to strongly dislike it without a real middle point. You seem to like Zelda games though, so, you should check it out!

When it comes to fighting games, erm, there aren't really any good exclusives besides Brawl. You could check out Project M pretty easily if you enjoyed Melee, though. My favorite fighting game to play on the Wii is Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (Long name), but it's not an exclusive. (Edit: Oh yeah, Tasunoko Vs. Capcom is pretty epic!)

Resident Evil Archives is pretty nice to have if you didn't have the RE remake on Gamecube. Also, Darkside Chronicles is a really fun on-rails shooter. (Beware shaky cam.)

Monster Hunter 3 is a fun online RPG. It focuses a lot on finding the right materials to create equipment, so if you dislike grinding, it may be better to stay away.

Konami's ReBirth series on the Wii Store is pretty decent. Castlevania, Contra, and Gradius are featured. Also, Maboshi's Arcade is pretty addicting wiiware title.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment! :P

Polnareff
12-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh! I cannot believe I forgot this! This is a beautiful sidescrolling brawler with RPG elements, and is absolutely worth your time. I have to murder the guy I lent this to, whose ex then ran off and sold all of his belongings.

There's supposed to be an HD version coming to XBLA/PSN soon, unless it got cancelled.

I Took the Red Pill
12-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Twilight Princess if you've never played it. Paper Mario: TTYD. If you've never played Resident Evil 4 pick up the Wii version. Same for Okami.

Sephex
12-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Just research your favorite type of games. Look on GameFAQs and see what is in the top ten. Then research the games that fit the genre you like on Wikipedia. Make your own decision. You can read opinions of other people on games until you are read in the face, but the only way you will get a console game that you will actually enjoy is to put a little time in discovering what you like yourself.

That said, there are solid opinions in this thread. But dumping a huge list of games, even if they are all great, isn't really going to show a clear picture of what games one should play.

Just my two gil. I said that joke because I am on a Final Fantasy forum.

Del Murder
12-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Mario Galaxy 2 is probably the best game for Wii. Followed by either Xenoblade Chronicles or Twilight Princess.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great platformer if you liked the older DKC games.

noshowmillk
12-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I would suggest:

-Mario Kart Wii
-New Super Mario Bros. Wii and 2
-Sonic Colors
-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
-No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
-Monster Hunters

Not to mention you can also download games from previous consoles so consider other games as well.

If you're going to get Mario Kart Wii then I highly recommend getting the steering wheel that you put on the controller. It seems stupid at first but it actually improves your game play.
If you're not really into racing games but still like speed then I recommend Sonic Colors. It's really fun and I recommend playing the game with either the nun chuck or the gamecube controller. Out of those two I recommend the gamecube controller for the best control. The game is awesome, though, since it works with every controller for the Wii.