PDA

View Full Version : I put on my big girl boots today...

Night Fury
12-27-2012, 10:04 PM
...and bought the tickets for my flights for my gap year next year.

I'm so terrified, and excited and everything else! And it was super expensive, but I've saved for 2 years and it'll be an adventure and a great experience.

I still have a troutload of stuff still to sort out

Visa
Insurance
My phone contract
My direct debits

But I have a date. And it's set in stone, and after months of saying "Oh yeah I'm gonna go to Australia next year..."

I AM GOING TO AUSTRALIA NEXT YEAR OMG!

Have any of you ever done any traveling or gap years? What were they like? What would be your dream trip?

Denmark
12-27-2012, 10:10 PM
i went to california and washington like a month and a half ago. i've done a lot of other traveling (with my parents)

i wanna go to europe eventually but that's more expensive

Jinx
12-27-2012, 10:14 PM
I'll probably be buying my ticket to England in April/early May once I've received my tax refund. I'm cutting back a lot on spending and gonna pick up any overtime I can to put back. Seriously considering taking up a second job.

Jowy
12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Sagelike advice: don't ever drink on an airplane.

I've traveled a few places. Book flights on Tuesday through Thursday, rates are exponentially cheaper then.

Parker
12-27-2012, 10:24 PM
i really want to spend some time in france, aus and the US but I can't really see it happening anytime real soon.

i have a rainy day fund for it though

DownDiagonalLeftA
12-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Would like to visit Japan one day.

Jinx
12-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Sagelike advice: don't ever drink on an airplane.

I've traveled a few places. Book flights on Tuesday through Thursday, rates are exponentially cheaper then.

These are both things I could probably do with hearing.

escobert
12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
I haven't really traveled in years :(

I used to go to Chicago when I was with my ex and she lived there.

I've also been around a lot of Europe and I went to Aussie & Kiwi lands in 2004.

Madame Adequate
12-27-2012, 11:27 PM
I thought this thread had been made by Steve :(

Jinx
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Dude, he wears size 9 boots. That's not big by any estimation.

Laddy
12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
My feet are bigger and manlier than Steve's. Awesome.

Jinx
12-28-2012, 12:03 AM
My feet are bigger and manlier than Steve's. Awesome.

Most of you probably is, dear. :aimkiss:

Also, for all we know they could be Steve's boots that Tara is wearing.

Agent Proto
12-28-2012, 12:03 AM
I want to go somewhere next year, but I'm hindered by my dialysis treatments, so I have to plan early. :( I'm not sure where I want to go, but I definitely want to visit some other state.

~*~Celes~*~
12-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I went to England once. What a waste of time and money! I didn't visit the right people (Steve and Paul, that is).

escobert
12-28-2012, 12:23 AM
I went to England once. What a waste of time and money! I didn't visit the right people (Steve DK and Paul Manus, that is).

Aulayna
12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Hope it all goes well for you Locky - big jump but it should be worth it!

NorthernChaosGod
12-28-2012, 12:45 AM

Dude, he wears size 9 boots. That's not big by any estimation.

Those are big for a girl.

Shorty
12-28-2012, 01:58 AM
This may come as a shock to you all, but I'm traveling abroad right now.

Next September I'll be visiting Edinburgh and hopefully making my way down to England and/or Ireland. May as well travel around a little bit since I'll be there, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have so plans are still up in the air!

YAY LOCKY I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY KNOW HOW MUCH <3333

Denmark
12-28-2012, 02:19 AM

what

Pheesh
12-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Australia, hey? That's pretty cool, I live in Australia, we should totally catch up at some point... >_>

But seriously, even though I knew it was coming I got so friggin excited when you called and told me. Also, to all the Aussie members, we're planning on visiting most of the states you guys live in so there's no excuse not to see us :colbert:

Myself, I just came back from a 9 week holiday in USA. It was so incredibly amazing and I definitely caught the travel bug, so Europe is on the cards for me in less than two years. Also, I don't know what Jowy is talking about, the booze is completely free and really helps you to sleep, drink it all!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-28-2012, 03:13 AM
I plan on going to Canada in 2014 so I can finally meet Agrias! The plan is in its infancy/rough draft stage at the moment, but this is a trip that's certainly been a few years in the making so to finally have a generalized date is pretty exciting for me.

Crop
12-28-2012, 03:18 AM

Next September I'll be visiting Edinburgh and hopefully making my way down to England and/or Ireland. May as well travel around a little bit since I'll be there, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have so plans are still up in the air!

YAY LOCKY I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY KNOW HOW MUCH <3333

You're welcome to drop into Wales for the best time of your life and a free place to crash! :monster:

I've been to the US for 6 months in the past 2 years. Had a fantastic time there both times I went. I'd love to go again, but I think I'll try somewhere new. Maybe Australia!

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, Locky.

Night Fury
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I plan on going to Canada in 2014 so I can finally meet Agrias! The plan is in its infancy/rough draft stage at the moment, but this is a trip that's certainly been a few years in the making so to finally have a generalized date is pretty exciting for me.

That sounds awesome! :D

And thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll have a great time. Terrorising Australia, or should I say..... Tararising! Muahahahaha

Rostum
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
If everything aligns, I'll be traveling to Hong Kong with my new girlfriend next year for a wedding. Then we'll travel somewhere from there! Maybe South Korea. :)

Miriel
12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I visited France and Italy this year.

Will definitely try for Thailand or New Zealand in 2013. And probably Hawaii too because it's a quick trip from California and tickets are fairly cheap. Plus I love Hawaii. :)

If everything aligns, I'll be traveling to Hong Kong with my new girlfriend next year for a wedding. Then we'll travel somewhere from there! Maybe South Korea. :)

South Korea is amazing. Omg the food.

Shauna
12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I have no money so travelling is not easy. Once I start earning money and starting to make some savings and whatnot, travelling will definitely be on the cards. :D Dunno where I'd go. Everywhere!

Also Locky we shall need to meet and have some drinks before you disappear off to the land down under. :p

sharkythesharkdogg
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Which broad? Are you paying for her travels because she's hot? Was the mile high club involved?

These are important questions.

EDIT: Good luck on your trip, Lockharted.

Sephex
12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Last time I was in a plan was just after I graduated Jr. High. I have been all over the US both on my own and with my family. I don't have any particular destination in mind these days, but I am sure to travel again in the future!

Shoeberto
12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Good luck. Traveling is one of the best experiences you can do.

I went to college out of state and it was a pretty great experience - meeting all new people and not having the safety net of my old friends and family being nearby was daunting. But I grew a lot, met a lot of good people, and overall I look back at the time very fondly.

I've been to Florida twice, one to Disney and once to a shuttle launch, and didn't particularly care for either trip (the launch was cool but the city we stayed in was a tourist trap; still, it was my first time seeing the ocean).

I went to LA for a week earlier this year and saw a lot of cool things but I don't think I'd go back without a reason. I didn't like the atmosphere - too crowded, too busy, too loud. Still, there were a lot of highlights: Randomly happening across Mike D turntabling for an open exhibition night at a downtown art gallery, spending hours in the Getty, and getting toasted at the Arclight before watching Jaws for the first time. And I miss Del Taco every day.

I drove to Las Vegas while I was in LA and fuck that place. I fucking hate Vegas. A nuclear bomb could fall on the place and absolutely nothing of value would be lost.

Shorty
12-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I looove Vegas. It's dirty and loud and bright and weird and filthy but amazing.

Shoeberto
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I looove Vegas. It's dirty and loud and bright and weird and filthy but amazing.
I may just be bitter because I got ripped off $20 by guys handing me rap CDs because they complimented me on my Gorillaz t-shirt.

(but actually I hated the place before this happened; walking around Caesar's made me weep for modern society.)

(I am not very fun at parties.)

Shorty
12-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Aww, I love Caesar's Palace. I don't know. I look around at the place for itself and ignore the tourists when I'm there. There's just something special about the place itself for me. If you block everyone out, it's nice.

Araciel
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Been to most of Canada. Not interested in REALLY flying anywhere but did want to go to England and Scotland and Aussieland at one point.

Shoeberto
12-28-2012, 02:36 PM
I take issue with how nice it is - everything perfectly preened, perfectly sculpted. Large marble statues adorning every hallway, giant saltwater fish tanks filled with exotic creatures. Hall after hall perfectly environmentally controlled to maximize your shopping experience in way-too-expensive stores (but hey it's Vegas so live a little) or at craps tables where the odds are stacked against you but the waitress keeps bringing free drinks (live a little) or in restaurants where mediocre food is served at ridiculous prices (again, live a little). All in the middle of a desert because it was the only refuge for east coast criminal cartels to set up new shops back in the '60s, legitimatized by years of positive marketing and faux nostalgia and Elvis and Sinatra.

I didn't really care about the tourists other than feeling sad that a lot of them were probably being duped like that. I'm sure if I didn't think so much about it I would've been wowed by the whole ordeal (and to be fair, I did take a number of pictures of some of the more impressive statues). It just all seemed exemplary of American excess and was too much for me after a few hours of walking around.

Anyways, I'll stop being Buzz Killington now; there's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone else liking Vegas, and I'm sure there's plenty of valid reasons that's so beloved, but it's definitely not for me.

Araciel
12-28-2012, 02:39 PM
lol

sharkythesharkdogg
12-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I take issue with how nice it is - All in the middle of a desert because it was the only refuge for east coast criminal cartels to set up new shops back in the '60s, legitimatized by years of positive marketing and faux nostalgia and Elvis and Sinatra.

I didn't really care about the tourists other than feeling sad that a lot of them were probably being duped like that. I'm sure if I didn't think so much about it I would've been wowed by the whole ordeal (and to be fair, I did take a number of pictures of some of the more impressive statues). It just all seemed exemplary of American excess and was too much for me after a few hours of walking around.

I understand what you're saying and can even sympathize, or at least empathize with you on some of it. What I'm tired of is excess always being equated with Americans or our culture. Yes, there is a large division of wealth, and yes places with a large amount wealth often trace their roots to seedy criminal activities or some militaristic, wealth hording empire. My point is you can find that anywhere. We're no less guilty of it than any other country, but we're also no more guilty.

If someone doesn't think it exists out side of the States, go to Hong Kong, Dubai, Kual Lumpur, some destinations along the Mediterranean, etc. There's plenty of examples of excess and flagrant spending all over the world.

Jowy
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Completely free?! I paid EIGHT BUCKS for that little bottle of Jack Daniels. :aimsad:

Shoeberto
12-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I take issue with how nice it is - All in the middle of a desert because it was the only refuge for east coast criminal cartels to set up new shops back in the '60s, legitimatized by years of positive marketing and faux nostalgia and Elvis and Sinatra.

I understand what you're saying and can even sympathize, or at least empathize with you on some of it. What I'm tired of is excess always being equated with Americans or our culture. Yes, there is a large division of wealth, and yes places with a large amount wealth often trace their roots to seedy criminal activities or some militaristic, wealth hording empire. My point is you can find that anywhere. We're no less guilty of it than any other country, but we're also no more guilty.

If someone doesn't think it exists out side of the States, go to Hong Kong, Dubai, Kual Lumpur, some destinations along the Mediterranean, etc. There's plenty of examples of excess and flagrant spending all over the world.
That's fair. To be honest I've never traveled out of the US so my immediate association is with our internal problems, but it's true that greed and excess are universal. I'm not sure I'd like any city, at home or abroad, with problems like I saw in Vegas.

Shiny
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Going anywhere outside of this country would be nice. I just want to visit some place entirely foreign and new to me. I would love to go to Italy, Spain, or Greece. Would also be cool to go to Japan and live out a weebo's dream, but the primary reason I would like to go there is because I'd finally be average height.

Pumpkin
12-29-2012, 04:05 AM
I haven't been many places. I've been to Niagara Falls and Boston mostly. Plus where I currently live and have lived before.

I have always wanted to visit Europe, mostly Italy and France.

Faris
12-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Apparently I'm going on vacation with my gal pal in Feb and I have savings set aside for another big trip.

Congrats Locky ;)

I Took the Red Pill
12-29-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm currently doing what I guess you could call a "gap year" in China. And after today, I have a paid vacation until February 20th for the Sping Festival :) I'll be travelling to Vietnam and the Phillipines in January, possibly Laos if it's feasible. If any of yall find yourselves in Guangdong drop me a line.

fire_of_avalon
12-29-2012, 05:18 AM
I don't go anywhere or do anything because I'm a broke bitch.

Miss Lady Shelly
12-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I might chance it next year and go to New York for the new year... its always been a dream of mine to see the ball drop in person.. as silly as it sounds. I also plan on visiting my Step Brother in Boston sometime soon.

Loony BoB
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm still on my gap "year"...

Jinx
01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
What's a gap year?

Night Fury
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
It's when you take a year out of studying and travel.
Or alternatively, in my case, it can be what you do after completion of your degree before starting work/graduate schemes

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Go for it. The worst that can happen is that you will get murderred, assaulted, or just plain die in a country thousands and thousands of miles away from all the people you know and love and your last moments on earth wil be spent cold, frightened and helpless in a hole in the desert with a kangaroo eating your ugg boots and a dingo chewing your fucking face.

Hope it all goes well. Keep us informed.

themagicroundabout
01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Going to Canada in a month, got a year long work visa so will kick it in Vancouver for a bit and then maybe check out a bit more of Canada, depending on work and how much money I'm able to get together. I'm gonna be a po' boy long ways from home so I'm playing it all by ear. Then hopefully going to live in the Caribbean for a few months with my girlfriends relatives in Grenada before coming back to the UK and planning the next move. http://ianvaleza.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/excited.jpg

Good luck with your travels, I am sure it will be a grand time!

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Well, I moved to France in August, and I'll be moving to China for a year later this August. Good tiiiiiimes.