PDA

View Full Version : League of Legends

Aulayna
12-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Does anyone play? If you do what role and are you an NA, EUW or EUNE!

Shauna
12-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Mr Shauna plays LoL. He keeps trying to get me to play, but I am just not interested. xD

Slothy
12-28-2012, 11:23 PM
I don't but mainly because I used to play DOTA years ago. The community in that game was awful to say the least and that combined with not having played in years has kept me away from LOL. I'd probably be up for playing if I knew some friendly people to learn the game with though.

Aulayna
12-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Riot are doing a lot to try and break the douchebags, they have a peer review system where players vote on harassment cases and decide whether or not people should be punished. They also have an Honor System where at the end of the game players can choose to nominate someone as "Helpful, Friendly, Teamworker, Honorable Opponent" etc which give little portrait decals as rewards - all little things that encourage good play. Plus the /ALL channel is turned off by default so you don't see any of the cross team e-peen jockeying unless you turn it on.

Granted much like any other online game you still find people who rage and whatnot.

If you're interested in starting I can make a new account - or if you'd be on the US servers I have an account that's like ... level 4... so very much in the newbie region. Would be cool to get a little EoFF group going.

(plus a lot of the old DOTA people have gone to DOTA2)

Slothy
12-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I may take you up on that then. Never hurts to try it anyway. Any character recommendations for someone who doesn't remember what the hell he played in DOTA?

Aulayna
12-28-2012, 11:45 PM
They basically have a rotating list of 8 free to play champions each week. When you first start out you do a tutorial which gives you enough of the ingame currency to buy one of the staple old champions - it depends what role you like doing the most as to who you get. At low level play due to not having masteries/runes (think talents and glyphs from WoW) the lane breakdown is usually 2 top, 1 mid, 2 bottom - Top tends to be melee characters, mid is mages/assassins and bottom is ranged damage and support. But at low level play it really doesn't matter so you can pretty much get away with trying anyone. Only thing you have to watch out for is people who make smurf accounts (level 30 players who are a) terrible, so they make a new account to kill people and feel better b) banned, so they've made a new account and probably well on their way to bansville again c) trolls) who will give you grief - but generally they're few and far between. Right now on the US server there's a lot of Koreans making accounts there to play on the US ladder at 30 so even if they do rage half the time you can't even understand it anyway!

You can read all about the cheap champions you can unlock fairly painlessly here: Recommended Champion - League of Legends Wiki - Champions, Items, Strategies, and many more! (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Recommended_Champion)

Bunny
12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm on NA as Eldris. I play mainly support but can AD, AP or Top with varying success. Favorite champ is Leona, though it's hard to play her with randoms since her all-in playstyle is pretty counter to the idiots in solo queue.

I may take you up on that then. Never hurts to try it anyway. Any character recommendations for someone who doesn't remember what the hell he played in DOTA?

I'm not sure how DoTA works exactly but in LoL there are five core roles - Jungle, AP, AD, Bruiser/Tank, and Support. Jungle roams the map getting kills and assisting the lanes in getting theirs; AP is built around spamming spells to get kills; AD is built around standing in the back and auto attacking trout down (and are probably the most important and difficult role to get the hang of properly); Bruiser/Tank is a sort of catchall term but is mostly used in top lane. Their main job is to be the frontline and protect the AD/AP, some are built around shutting AD/AP down; Support is built around assisting the AD in the bottom lane and, in late game, helping the team by providing utility.

Aulayna's site is useful and has a lot more information, mainly lore and trivia, but I prefer Leaguepedia (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleaguepedia.com%2F&ei=mjzeUOGPDs6tqAGe0oCgDg&usg=AFQjCNFjDjHVJ1T2yQ-fc7UWlKhJhkBWGQ&sig2=DWbnK3WHeXLuhLPvXMOZKA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWM) because the layout is less horrendous.

Bolivar
12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I got invited to the DotA 2 beta so I've been getting into that heavy the last few weeks, but took a break now during the holidays. Not sure if I can handle getting into two MOBAs.

I also played DotA a lot in college, but we had just enough people in our dorm to play full or near-full LAN games so I never got the e-peen focused assholes. I can honestly say DotA 2 hasn't been that bad for me either since I was able to get not too embarassing before starting pubs so usually at least one person is screwing up more than I am.

Bunny
12-29-2012, 10:51 PM
I'd say the biggest problem with the LoL community isn't the e-peen focused assholes, it's the trolls and incredibly bad people who roam in droves and refuse to actually learn to play the game in any positive fashion. Riot has instituted pretty good methods to prevent people from being raging assholes, but they still lack a focus on getting rid of the ever-growing community of trolls and idiots.

Aulayna
12-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Yup that's why I prefer to play it with friends or others I know. Still get it when doing that but when you're playing with the same group of people repeatedly it's in your bests interests to help each other out rather than rage at each other.

Aulayna
12-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I should also add that I'm Aulayna on EUW and NA!

Skyblade
12-30-2012, 02:12 AM
I stopped playing because of the community.

At level 1, the game was awesome. It was so fun and creative, and had such nice people.

The higher level I got, the worse the community became.

I also found the metagame really bland and boring. Level progression was really sad, and glyphs were extremely underwhelming compared to the awesomeness of character builds and items.

If they'd had some way to permanently freeze my account at level 1, and avoid the metagame and the douchebags, I'd probably still be playing.

Oh, and I wish they had more bots. I prefer co-op, I don't want to fight other players. Could you have more than eight bots for people who don't want to PVP?!

And, yes, I encountered tons of jerks even playing strictly PvE, which I would have figured would have avoided the entire elitist clique.

Lawr
12-30-2012, 02:37 AM
I'm LysanderLM on the NA server! I own ~30 champions and can play any role.

escobert
12-30-2012, 02:46 AM
DOTA2 ftw. a few friends have tried to get me to play but, I'm putting in like 40+ hours a week into GW2 and then work so I ain't got time for that shit!

blackmage_nuke
12-30-2012, 02:47 AM
I only know how to play Olaf, and I cant jungle. That's quite a problem at level 30. I might be able to Alistar support but I havent tried in a while

Lawr
12-30-2012, 02:55 AM
DOTA2 ftw. a few friends have tried to get me to play but, I'm putting in like 40+ hours a week into GW2 and then work so I ain't got time for that shit!

Well I heard you wrap your whole hand around the pen when you write, so we don't want you anyway!

I only know how to play Olaf, and I cant jungle. That's quite a problem at level 30. I might be able to Alistar support but I havent tried in a while

Brolaf is my favorite jungler by far! Mastering the axe throw is the bread and butter of his whole, like everything.

escobert
12-30-2012, 06:31 AM

Well I heard you wrap your whole hand around the pen when you write, so we don't want you anyway!

only half! only half!

drotato
11-21-2013, 09:06 AM
This thread is extremely old, but I just started playing LoL and I'd love to play with anyone that's still playing? (:

Værn
11-21-2013, 03:29 PM
This thread is extremely old, but I just started playing LoL and I'd love to play with anyone that's still playing? (:
Yes, it is old. So old, in fact, that a new thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/150433-league-legends.html) was created half a year after this one died :roll2
Summoner name? Server? :bigsmile:

Also, I stumbled across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSc8S2xlGKc) last year while looking for songs for a Soraka playlist.
Each champion should have his or her own playlist. That's just common sense.

drotato
11-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Yes, it is old. So old, in fact, that a new thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/150433-league-legends.html) was created half a year after this one died :roll2
Summoner name? Server? :bigsmile:

Also, I stumbled across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSc8S2xlGKc) last year while looking for songs for a Soraka playlist.
Each champion should have his or her own playlist. That's just common sense.
Oh, okay, haha. Thank you. ^. ^;
I'll post my info in the new thread. And that song is badass. @. @

Christmas
05-05-2022, 11:16 AM
Played a bit when it first came out. I like slashing things with BIG SWORDS using Garen and Master Yi. :bigsmile:

I was pretty good at it since I played DOTA prior. Owning n00bz like a motherfucker to the max! :bigsmile: