PDA

View Full Version : If you could live in a video game world, where would you live?

Pike
12-29-2012, 01:50 AM
I have a hunch a lot of people are going to say Pokemon. (I can't blame you for saying that, really.)

So where would YOU live?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-29-2012, 01:55 AM
This is a hard question, because I've enjoyed immersing myself in a great number of fantasy worlds. I guess the real question is would I be myself as an NPC in that world or would I be a character already in that world?

I'd hate to live in the FF7 slums and then get crushed when the plate fell.

Jinx
12-29-2012, 01:58 AM
HYRULE

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm going to be the first to say it and go with Pokemon. As for the region, maybe Johto, if only because it is the home world of Gold and Silver and I can visit Kanto whenever I want.

If not pokemon, maybe Ivalice from FFXII so I can go around with Balthier.

Futan
12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I want to live in the FF7 slums and then get crushed when the plate fell. :monster:

My first thought was The Elder Scrolls world that I forget the name of right now Tamriel. But it seems like that world would be kind of boring unless you're the main character. :p

When a similar questions was asked about just the FF worlds, I said Vana'diel. And I'd say for this question either that or Pokemon. I want a world where I can just pick up and go do the exciting trout. Well I guess Vana'diel is out then actually since I'd need to spend 6 hours waiting for a party. :monster:

Pokemon for now. I might think of something else later though.

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 02:21 AM
The good thing with living in Pokemon is that the crime rate is almost nil. Almost no one dies, everyone appears to go around happy.. sure, you have the local gang, but they are so pathetically idiotic a 10 year old kid can single handedly down them.

Live is great!

Pheesh
12-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Knights of the Old Republic. I just want to be a Jedi. It's all I've ever wanted :(

Futan
12-29-2012, 02:33 AM
The GTA world would be pretty fun actually. :shifty: Just got shot 50 times, or fell off a bridge onto solid concrete? Don't worry. Some money will fix you up in seconds flat. Just get busted? Don't worry. They'll just confiscate your weapons and take a bribe and you'll be out in seconds flat. :p

Still Pokemon though. XD

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Futan, I'm worried about you. First you want to have the Midgar plate fall on you, now you want to be shot 50 times :eek:

Futan
12-29-2012, 02:46 AM
:p It's all good. I'll be fixed up in seconds flat!

Bunny
12-29-2012, 02:53 AM
The good thing with living in Pokemon is that the crime rate is almost nil. Almost no one dies, everyone appears to go around happy.. sure, you have the local gang, but they are so pathetically idiotic a 10 year old kid can single handedly down them.

Live is great!

The various teams were taken down by a 10 year old with incredibly powerful monsters fighting at his side. Not exactly single-handed but they do leave a lot to be desired in terms of villains.

I would totally live in Minecraft and build a bitchin' 7-story, 450 room mansion full with a moat of fire and creeper-proof defenses.

Or some version of this (http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/center_of_universe_web.jpg).

Laddy
12-29-2012, 05:09 AM
The Sims. I want to be God.

Bubba
12-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Wall Market. Obviously with a members card to the Honey Bee Inn.

I would be rich enough to stay at the Inn every night. My typical day would consist of waking up and heading over to Big Bro's gym for a workout. I'd then grab a spot of lunch from Soup Dude before heading over to the Honey Bee Inn for a spot of healthy smurfing. I'd then grab a nice Korean BBQ Plate before heading back to the Inn to get changed. Then me and the dressmaker will hit the bar to get plastered in the evening. We'll either try and hit on any of Don Corneo's rejects or end up drunkenly daring each other to climb the "golden shiny wire of hope". Crawl into bed in the early hours then repeat.

Perfection.

Clo
12-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Alpha Centauri.

I NEED TO TERRAFORM THE PLANET.

WHO IS THAT? THE FUNGUS IS TALKING TO ME.

Psychotic
12-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Battle Raper 2.

I mean uh... Skyrim.

Madame Adequate
12-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Sim City. It'd be just like real life.

Wait, maybe I'm already in Sim City. Oh no, now I'm having an existential crisis. THANKS PIKE :(

nirojan
12-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I was going to say Midgar, but I just realized how much I'd probably hate it (the slums anyways). None of the other areas in VII are super appealing either.

Good god I'd have to go with Pokemon as well. I'd take control of team Rocket and grab Giovanni and be all like "This world deserves a better class of Criminal...and I'm gonna give it to them". I'd wear the Joker make-up and everything too :love:

Pike
12-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Alpha Centauri.

WTF, when did Clo turn into me? I thought I was the person who talked nonstop about SMAC on this forum!

Night Fury
12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I want to live in Pokemon with Formalhaut.

We're totally gonna be an awesome duo, but inevitably fall out and then battle each other all the time and be rivals.

Aulayna
12-29-2012, 06:36 PM
After thinking about... it was going to be Hyrule or Ivalice but Pokémon does sound the best. I can even work on getting a crew of Eevee evolutions and walk around with loads of cute doggies following me. :3 Failing that, Azeroth, because I could be a Priest and walk around wearing pretty dresses wielding pretty staves! Yeaah!

Formalhaut
12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
I want to live in Pokemon with Formalhaut.

We're totally gonna be an awesome duo, but inevitably fall out and then battle each other all the time and be rivals.

But that's only if were in Kanto and Johto. If we migrate to Sinnoh, then were friends who happen to battle each other ;)

But I completely agree, it would be amazing travelling together! :D

Tonberry Time
12-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Kanto for sure, with Inaba in close second. But only if I could enter TV's.

Clo
12-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Alpha Centauri.

WTF, when did Clo turn into me? I thought I was the person who talked nonstop about SMAC on this forum!

Hey now, can't we all love SMAC -- together?

I didn't actually know anyone who liked SMAC, but now that I know other people have played it, I will talk about it MORE.

Denmark
12-31-2012, 07:42 PM
how do you not like SMAC wtf

I'd live in the world from all those sports games I think it's called Earth

Jowy
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Yoshi's Island. I'd touch fuzzy and get dizzy on weekends.

noshowmillk
01-01-2013, 07:40 AM
I'd have to say either Hyrule (Ocarina of Time) or Insanity Island (Crash Twinsanity).

Jinx
01-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I never played more than casual, but I'd also have to say WoW, I think.

It's beautiful. Just stunning beautiful. They have some really realistic places like the wintery Dwarf/Gnome place, and some fantastical and colourful places like the Blood Elf area.

Erm...so, basically, I'd be living there but not know what anything was called. :(

Faris
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Hmm, depends on if I get save points or respawn with no consequences :spin:

Now let's see, which one wasn't going to be destroyed... Scribblenauts! I would like in Scribblenauts land.

escobert
01-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I want a motherfuckin pokemon

Loony BoB
01-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Assuming that death is something that is not permanent, I would go with something like this...

#10 Gaia (Final Fantasy VII)
This game gets first mention because while not being as wonderous as many other worlds, for me it is very complete and I have a strong attachment to many of the locations after having played the game so many times, so it's a world I'd simply adore travelling around in. I would love to explore the world, talk to all the people (hopefully most of them won't merely say the same thing over and over if I'm actually in the world...), learn the arts of materia and magic, explore the oceans, etc. It edges VIII for me purely due to the sentimental value I have with the world.

#9. Randomly Generated Worlds (Dwarf Fortress)
There's something about these worlds that, while randomly generated in seconds, is so intense and careful with it's history and so incredibly open for exploration that I can't resist adding this to the list. If anyone ever made a game like Dwarf Fortress with HD graphics, it would be a world beater. Although perhaps only due to the processing requirements! But if I were in the world, it would be in the highest definition possible for my eyes, so that solves that problem entirely. I can't wait to get a group of dwarves together again sometime to build a fort capable of withstanding anything, while still exploring the darkest of underworld caverns.

#8. Spira (Final Fantasy X)
I dislike Final Fantasy X a lot, but not because of the world. The characters put me off the game. The world itself is incredibly gorgeous. I would love to experience this world myself without the issue of all that stupid storyline. The towns and wilderness alike are gorgeous in almost every conceivable way. Shame about the annoying locals, though. I'd probably spend my time away from most of them... and while Blitzball is fun, I think I'd prefer cricket. ;)

#7. Pokémon world (Pokémon series)
A lot of people hare already touched on this, but there is something addictive and wonderful about this world and it lies in the wildlife. The rest of the world for me is very average, but the wildlife would make it all worthwhile. I would need to spend a lifetime in this world. So many pets - or whatever you would call them - to get to know would make it a true lifetime requirement. Still, I don't think this world can ever really reach the top levels of this list until the world itself becomes 3D and immersive in it's own right, not relying on the wildlife alone.

#6. Arcadia/Stark (The Longest Journey series)
I don't know if many of you have played these games, but you should. They're amazing. The worlds of Arcadia and Stark are focused on magic and industry respectively, so you get two different experiences for the price of one. Everything about these worlds is of interest to me, for all kinds of reasons. I'm hoping that I can experience some dreamworlds, too, while I'm there. Enough said. :D

#5. Myst/Riven Universe (Myst/Riven series)
Now, this place is magical and creative beyond the imagination of many. I haven't played a huge amount of the series at all, and it's been a very long time since I played it, either. But I recall enough to tell me that this is a world I would not want to pass up. There is far less death involved, and far more beauty. Each movement you make is a reward in itself. The animals and the plants themselves are enough to make me want to experience some of the worlds in this place, and the fact that you are generally alone only makes it more enjoyable, something you couldn't say about many of the worlds on this list which beg for company.

#4. Hydaelyn (Final Fantasy XIV)
The more time I spend in the few areas of this world that have been released so far, the more I want to see. This world drags me in and I simply don't want to get away from it. It's gorgeous, simply amazing, and the people - the people! The fact they are real people probably gives them a massive advantage, but despite that, even the NPCs are amazing. I like a world in which characters are capable of swearing, let's put it that way. The war seems to put a bit of a downer on the overall atmosphere, so I'd like to live in this world in a time that you don't have to play the hero all the time and instead can simply enjoy the exploration, the charming events, the enjoyable company and the beautiful scenery. I can't help but feel that this world would be higher up my list if it were not for how few areas I have been able to visit.

#3. Tamriel (The Elder Scrolls series)
I have experienced Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim of this world and all three have been beautiful in their own ways. The magic and the scenery are the winners for this, while the history is immense and the lore incredible. I don't know how I'd feel about having the constant aggressive wildlife / bandits / etc. beating up on me every time I walk ten meters forward, especially when vampires can leave you with disease and all that... oh, and hopefully people look better when you actually visit as they look uuuuuugly on my PC. The world is a winner despite these downsides, though, and hey - you can always just rely on the community to mod that kind of stuff out of the world when you pass through. ;)

#2. Middle-Earth (any Hobbit/LotR game)
This is perhaps cheating a little as it's clearly a world from books, and it's the books that make me love the world - definitely not the games which I don't think I've played at all! There is way too much in this world that I would love to see. A very dangerous world, no doubt, but I'm giving it the same rules as the rest of the list so that means I can simply respawn. I'm a bit of a nut for Middle-Earth, with about a dozen books relating to the series, so I couldn't pass up the idea of actually living in the place. I like to think I'd be a little more buff than I am right now, though, because that's a hell of a lot of walking / riding I'd have to get used to.

#1. Gran Pulse/Cocoon (Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2)
Firstly, I'd like to make it clear that I have no freaking clue what part of the history of these worlds I'd like to visit most, because obviously they are veeeery varied in their tech and political situation. Ideally I'd just float around through time and space like they do in XIII-2, and experience pretty much everything. Gran Pulse and Cocoon between them have pretty much everything. You have the technologically advanced cities, the gorgeous wilderness, the Pokémon-esque capturable & trainable critters, the incredibly beautiful women, the lore, the history, the incredible places to explore and the knowledge that you haven't seen it all yet, there is still more to experience. People may slate the story of XIII and XIII-2, but the world(s) captured me from the start. The only downside is the potential that you could be handpicked by a fal'Cie to undertake a focus. Hopefully I can just find a way to get some kind of immunity to that... :D

Special Mention #1: Space, Galaxies, etc
I know I've mentioned some multi-world universes in this list, but space goes beyond that - it effectively includes everything. There are too many space-based universes in gaming to pick one out. Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, EVE Online, Freelancer... the list goes on. There is too much out there to deny space this special mention. So much adventure, enough to last a million lifetimes and probably more. All of the worlds above could fit into just the tiniest fraction of what you can get out of a galaxy or even numerous galaxies.

Special Mention #2: Earth
When you think about the fact that games like the Uncharted series and Assassin's Creed are set in Earth should tell you everything you need to know about our world. It doesn't make my list because I feel Earth is so enriched in obvious history and beauty that it would be cheating to add it in. You may feel that it lacks in incredible wildlife or magic, but I disagree on both counts. I wouldn't give up my pets for any Pokémon, nor do I feel that many of the locations I have seen first hand lack a magical feeling to them - and there are countless amazing places I haven't yet visited.

Shorty
01-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I think I'll have to second Sim City. Those arcos are pretty sweet.

NinjaCoachZ
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
I'd go with the Animal Crossing world. The games themselves are fun, and it's probably among the most relaxing, laidback, happy, conflict-free worlds in gaming. Also, money literally grows on trees.

Vćrn
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Dang, Loony Bob got to Tamriel before I could.
Although I'd be happy with any sword & sorcery fantasy world, really.

Roogle
01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I am particular to the world of Lunar from the Lunar series of games. It holds a very special place in my heart. The world was originally created by a beloved goddess that all can meet and pay respect to in their lifetime, giving a loving deity and stability to a world with surprisingly little political conflict.

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Tamriel and Pokemon really are perfect choices. Pokemon because it's huge and you can go to all the different areas. Not to mention the fact that I would be able to become the greatest trainer ever known pretty bloody easily. I would require internet access to check smogon, however. ;)

Tamriel is an even better choice due to the myriad of cultures, the history, the religions. It's as varied a gaming world I've ever seen, and as with Pokemon, I would easily be able to take over the whole place. :D

Mass Effect gets an honourable mention because SPACE, but the existence of Reapers knocks it down a peg or two. Unlike the other two, BioWare did a great job in making it clear that the only way you're gonna have an easy time in the ME universe is if you actually are Commander Shepard.

Oh, and RuneScape. It has fantastic geography, though I wish there was more depth to the NPCs, haha.

Clo
01-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Why would anyone want to live in the Pokemon world? All anyone talks about is POKEMON! Sounds like a nightmare.

Bunny
01-03-2013, 12:18 AM
So it's basically like this world then.

Lonely Paper Star
01-03-2013, 06:33 AM
When I was younger, around when Red/Blue came out, I wanted to live in the Pokemon world, but I think it was because I thought it was cool that the main characters got to be so independent so young and have cute monsters as friends/fighting pet thingies. (Actually, I wouldn't mind that now. Lol~)

Then I wanted to live in FFVIII's world mainly because I wanted to be a SeeD at Balamb Garden.

Now I guess I want to live in Tamriel. O_o

Pumpkin
01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
I would want to live in the Queendom of Falena from Suikoden V. It has so many pretty places.

That's not even all the pretty places!

In case you couldn't tell, I would like to live near water.

Forsaken Lover
01-03-2013, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't mind living in Xenosaga. It would just have to be a few hundred years before the games start so that I can avoid all the nasty stuff.

But generally speaking, their technology is quite amazing and would make life so convenient.

Yar
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I would pick Skyrim. Then my addiction to being in Skyrim all the time would be justified.

omgggg Skyrim

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Kingdom Hearts Universe. It'd be awesome. :D

Failing that, Pokemon (Johto FTW), Hyrule (most versions), or Ivalice. :D

Formalhaut
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Kingdom Hearts Universe. It'd be awesome. :D

Failing that, Pokemon (Johto FTW), Hyrule (most versions), or Ivalice. :D

I didn't actually think of Kingdom Hearts. Thinking about it, it would be actually awesome going round Disney Worlds! It'd be great going around in the gummi ship and shoot some weird robot things!

Pike
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm also picking Tamriel. Specifically Morrowind. You know, cause absolutely none of you saw that one coming.

This, my friends. This is where I am going to live:

Rocket Edge
01-03-2013, 11:28 PM

Live is great!
Pretty much this, and I loved Pokemon as a kid. If I was asked this question when I was 10 I would have cried happy tears and then given you my answer.

Final Fantasy VIII though for me. I could see myself chilling in Balamb all my life getting drunk and playing music everyday. Not a bad place to spend life.

Greatermaximus
01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
It would have to be a Star Trek world because of the Nexus/Q. I'd have the ability to go anywhere/anytime.

I could come to the year 2013 and read about your fantasy and/or go even further back and witness other history.

Any genre that time travels I suppose.

Del Murder
01-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Zeal pre-crash.

Araciel
01-08-2013, 06:17 AM
10 yr old me: The Mushroom Kingdom

15 yr old me: FF7 (I actually did anyway)

Me now: Leisure Suit Larry-Earth

Skyblade
01-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Sim City. It'd be just like real life.

Wait, maybe I'm already in Sim City. Oh no, now I'm having an existential crisis. THANKS PIKE :(

Have you been killed by a rampaging monster?

Has a couplet of Hurricaines flanked by a dozen tornadoes torn systematically through your hometown?

Has your city's leadership suddenly decided to build a large scale nuclear refinery/power chain in the middle of the residential zone, when something inexplicably went wrong?

Then you don't live in Sim City. Similar tests apply to The Sims.

Madame Adequate
01-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Maybe I live in Sim City 4 with a benevolent player :zombert:

Quindiana Jones
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
I disagree with the idea that it's possible to play SimCity games in a purely benevolent manner. Either you don't live in a SimCity world, or the creator hasn't built up the area enough to make spawning a volcano in the middle of it sufficiently satisfying.

qwertysaur
01-14-2013, 01:18 AM
pokémon. :D

Elpizo
01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
The lack of millions of Ivalice (XII version) mentions in this topic is shameful. :colbert: