PDA

View Full Version : Sony ceases production of PlayStation 2 in Japan

Madame Adequate
12-29-2012, 07:00 AM
After thirteen years - seriously, thirteen - Sony has announced that the existing stocks of PlayStation 2s in stores are the last ones that are being manufactured, and no more will be on the way.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan finally stopped by Sony | Gamechup | Video Game News, Reviews, Features, Guides (http://www.gamechup.com/playstation-2-shipments-in-japan-finally-stopped-by-sony/)

Sony has told the Japanese retailers that once the current stock of PlayStation 2 consoles are over, they won’t be replenishing it.

This effectively means that Sony has discontinued the system and are just waiting for the stocks to sell out. This is happening in a lot of countries and when you think the console has been around for almost 12 years selling 150 million units and giving us incredible franchises, it’s hard not to get overwhelmed by strong emotion.

The console was released in March 4, 2000 in Japan, and the stocks will probably get over in the same month in 2013. So that brings us to a shelf life of 13 years. I’m really struggling to think of an electronic device that has survived for so long.

Third-party developers stopped making software for it a couple of years back, and whatever software that you still see are being made by local developers in specific countries like India and Brazil where the console is still popular.

Not even the Game Boy comes close to the PS2's sales, and I'm not sure anything except perhaps the PC hits the PS2's library. Given the average age of folks on this forum I expect we're almost all familiar with the PS2 and have a lot of fond memories. Games like FFX, the GTA 3 series, God of War, Okami, SSX, Ico and SotC, Burnout, Soul Calibur 2, Ratchet and Clank, TimeSplitters, Viewtiful Joe, MGS3, and on and on holy crap the thing had over ten thousand titles, not counting PS1 games which was a pretty amazing lineup in itself. I know I spent so, so many hours of my teenage years in front of that box and they were hours well spent indeed.

Let's reminisce a little. Oh, and if you're worried, don't be - emulation is alive and well and there doesn't seem to be much risk of losing the ability to play PS2 games. Still, I'm tempted to get a console to supplement my existing ones (I've got both a NA and UK PS2) just to keep it around.

That all said, the thing only launched in 2008 in Brazil and still does well in markets like that and India, so the console will still be made for places like that (http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/28/playstation-2-has-finished-its-run-in-japan-sony-ends-system-shipments/).

Still, RIP in peace.

I Took the Red Pill
12-29-2012, 07:12 AM
I think that of all the consoles I've ever owned, I had the most fun with my PS2. So long, you magnanimous piece of hardware.

Sephex
12-29-2012, 07:15 AM
But what will Iraq use to control their weapons of mass destruction now?

Del Murder
12-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm surprised it was still being made at all.

maybee
12-29-2012, 07:25 AM

The Nintendo Wii.

I'm not saying "goodbye " to the PS2 because even though they will stop making games for it, doesn't mean it's going to leave us. Though while in production it has had a excellent run.

Pheesh
12-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Well this seals it, definitely have to replace my broken one now.

Bubba
12-29-2012, 11:58 AM

The Nintendo Wii.

I hope to Allah they use the Motionplus controllers though. Targeting infidel hideouts with the old controller is erratic at best.

EDIT: I loved my PS2 until it succumbed to water damage during my FFXII playthrough in 2009. In fact, it will be the four-year anniversary of her death next month. Her name was Connie.

escobert
12-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Defiantly my favorite console.

Shauna
12-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Goodnight, sweet prince.

So many amazing games on this console... and it survived two console generations. Amazing piece of work. Sony will have to work hard to make anything even remotely as successful. :p

Psychotic
12-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Had my baby since 2001 and it still works. Fantastic piece of kit.

Bubba
12-29-2012, 04:22 PM

I admire your defiance.

Aulayna
12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
PS2 and Gamecube, so many fond memories.

Never had an XBOX back then due to my irrational hatred toward Microsoft making a console. Ironically now the 360 is the only console I play...

Bolivar
12-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I think there's only one appropriate image for this moment:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQ15oFHUCeRKeb3WH3SbDn-U_MnbW--RmU87kPzH4wjGez12dYQ

The OP article is a little inaccurate, a few big third party sports titles were released this year and the latest FFXI expansion will be released for it in 2013, if only in Japan. But I'm wondering does this mean an end to production in North America? I can't seem to find any confirmation of this, and I've seen new units stocked in my local Wal Mart.

In any case, it is pretty insane that after having survived two console generations and three handheld generations, people are still finding reasons to plug the thing in. I myself just bought Square's Radiata Stories not too long ago for a few bucks and I'm looking forward to popping it in the tray in the near future. I think that will be its enduring legacy, that there's tons of stores out there stocked with bins that, no matter your taste, will have at least 8 or so masterpieces, classics, and just overall great games that you can buy for $5-10.

As far as the thing's enduring legacy... well, I've already said that it has an especially long line of great titles across all interests. But to me, FFVII-IX was probably the greatest trilogy of games I've ever played, there were some missed opportunities on the PS2 with Square, and when you throw FFT in the mix along with the other genres, I think the original PlayStation may be my personal favorite console of all time. Regardless, the PS2 was another chapter in the impressive library of titles Sony has amassed, and I enjoy playing them throughout each hardware iteration.

Shattered Dreamer
12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I remember fondly the day my 13 year old self bought my PS2, bundled with MGS2 and GTA3. Amazingly after the many many hours of play it has given me over the years it still works. It's sat in a box upstairs in my bedroom & occasionally I still play it. I honestly don't think there will ever be a games console I enjoy quite as much.

DMKA
12-30-2012, 01:14 AM

Hahaha, I remember that news story too.

I probably had more fun times with my PS2 than all the other consoles I've ever owned combined. Thirteen years is a damn good run, and good on Sony for supporting their hardware for so long and not ditching it overnight.

http://i48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/ebbo1v.jpg

Thanks for the memories, old friend. See you on the other side.

Pike
12-30-2012, 01:50 AM
I had no idea they were still making these.

I wish I could tell you all of my stories of wonder and praise for PS2 but honestly I spent a lot more time with the Xbox. Also my PS2 controller up and broke, my only controller from all my consoles to quit working on me thus far :colbert:

Still, it was a very impressive run, and kudos to Sony for keeping it going as long as they did.

Crop
12-30-2012, 02:00 AM
I can agree wholeheartedly with those who have said that they've enjoyed the PS2 more than any other console. To this day it is still the console I play most regularly, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so for many more years.

escobert
12-30-2012, 07:11 AM

I admire your defiance.

I am very openly anti console. Why on earth would I want to invest in a system that will be replaced in 2 years that I have to go all new shit for? f that give ma PC. Atleast PSone/PS2 were compatible and both systems were around for a long time.

Del Murder
12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
First of all, consoles last 6-7 years, not 2. Secondly, it's silly to use the replacement cost argument in favor of PCs in the PC vs. console wars.

Slothy
12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
First of all, consoles last 6-7 years, not 2.

Well that really depends on if it was made by Microsoft now doesn't it?

Secondly, it's silly to use the replacement cost argument in favor of PCs in the PC vs. console wars.

And this really depends on whether the console was made by Sony.

Pike
12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
I like how we turned a typo into a debate.

Aulayna
12-30-2012, 01:51 PM
It's not like graphics cards have to be replaced every couple of years if you want decent performance and load times on the very few titles that aren't just direct console ports and said upgrades can cost just as much as buying a new console. Also I've had my PS3 and 360 for a good 5 years each and they still work perfectly fine. Likewise I got my PS2 at launch and it still works - the laser is on it's way out it but considering how old it is that's more than acceptable.

Honestly the whole debate is a stupid one full of gamers long standing desire to have to categorise something as "better" than something else. Both consoles and PCs have their pros and weaknesses and at the end of the day gaming is about enjoyment and that's down to the individual to decide which method they prefer.

theundeadhero
12-31-2012, 12:30 AM
I would have a hard time guessing which console I have more games for: PS2, SNES, or NES but either way it was the last era of consoles that made many great games to collect and I seriously hope mines lives just as long as my NES has so far.

Bolivar
12-31-2012, 02:08 AM
First of all, consoles last 6-7 years, not 2.

Well that really depends on if it was made by Microsoft now doesn't it?

And RROD aside, the typical console life cycle was only four years until this one... unless Del was talking about how long machines actually last, and Sony consoles definitely don't last no 6-7 years, at least not in my experience.

I think it goes with saying that the non-expandable nature of the console business makes the 13-year Japanese production of the PS2 an even more incredible feat (back on topic).

tony12
12-31-2012, 04:48 AM
The PS2 will always be a great system however I think the title of the greatest system will always be a toss up between the the NES and the Atari. The NES and Atari is what put the home game console business on the map.

Games like Tecmo Bowl and Dragon Warrior and of course Super Mario and Zelda, Pac Man, Frogger (and many many others) was in my opinion the golden age of gaming.

Here is a link from wikipedia that lists the most popular gaming systems according to units sold. The NES was released in 1983 and sold 61 million units so far. The next closest console that was released around the same time only sold about 10 million units. Atari sold 30 million and was released in '77.

They may not have the most units sold of all time but they definitely were by far the most popular when you compare them to there competition at the time they came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

What surprised me from that list is how many more units the nes sold than the Genesis. I always thought the Genesis had about as many units sold as the Nintendo did but just came out close to ten years later.

Del Murder
12-31-2012, 05:09 AM
And RROD aside, the typical console life cycle was only four years until this one... unless Del was talking about how long machines actually last, and Sony consoles definitely don't last no 6-7 years, at least not in my experience.
Didn't mean to turn this into a debate, but:

NES - released in 1983
SNES - released in 1990
N64 - released in 1996
Gamecube - released in 2001
Wii - released in 2006
Wii U - released in 2012

5-7 years.

PS1 - released in 1994
PS2 - released in 2000
PS3 - released in 2006

All 6 years.

XBox - released in 2001
360 - released in 2005

Only 4 years, but the XBox was such crap that it doesn't count.

I've had my PS2 for 12 years and it still works perfectly. Had my PS3 for 6 years and it still works perfectly. I think the trick is to not drop them. :D

Madame Adequate
12-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Only 4 years, but the XBox was such crap that it doesn't count.

The XBox was an amazing console ;o

Del Murder
12-31-2012, 05:16 AM
I don't actually have evidence to back that statement up. I've played 0 games on a Microsoft console in my lifetime. :D I'm just trying to live up to my custom user title here.

tony12
12-31-2012, 05:40 AM
I think how long a console lasts depends greatly on how well the owner takes care of them. Some people don't take very good care of their gaming systems. I.E. turn them off the wrong way, place them in a bad spot and they drop to the ground (I had a a couple friends who put their nes on a little unsteady small table and anytime anybody would run into that table the table plus the nes would fall over).. etc..etc.. While others do take care of them properly.

Jinx
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
I think how long a console lasts depends greatly on how well the owner takes care of them. Some people don't take very good care of their gaming systems. I.E. turn them off the wrong way, place them in a bad spot and they drop to the ground (I had a a couple friends who put their nes on a little unsteady small table and anytime anybody would run into that table the table plus the nes would fall over).. etc..etc.. While others do take care of them properly.

Eh, pretty sure I've stepped on my PS2 a fair few times, and dropped it. Stored it in poor conditions. It's been running for 8 years, so you tell me.

Loony BoB
12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
I still have PS2 games I have yet to open (hi, VII:</>DoC). That little sucker is going to last me a few years through yet if I can help it! So long as there are friends from EoFF coming over that are willing to play Gauntlet with me, there will be a reason for this console to be kept forever and ever.

Shusuika
12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Oh man, all this talk about PS2 made me look at the little black girl standing there in the corner, waiting to be played again....and then I looked over at my Silent Hill collection.....ahhhh good old times! I still remember when I got mine, and she still works perfectly. Also the amount of games released for this console were the best too!

Jinx
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
I still have PS2 games I have yet to open (hi, VII:DoC). That little sucker is going to last me a few years through yet if I can help it! So long as there are friends from EoFF coming over that are willing to play Gauntlet with me, there will be a reason for this console to be kept forever and ever.

Dark Legacy?

This is very important, BoB.

Loony BoB
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
I still have PS2 games I have yet to open (hi, VII:DoC). That little sucker is going to last me a few years through yet if I can help it! So long as there are friends from EoFF coming over that are willing to play Gauntlet with me, there will be a reason for this console to be kept forever and ever.

Dark Legacy?

Gauntlet and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. I want to get the third, too, but I'm waiting for a bunch of EoFFers to come over so we can play it the right way: With four people.

Jinx
12-31-2012, 11:21 PM

Dark Legacy?

Gauntlet and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. I want to get the third, too, but I'm waiting for a bunch of EoFFers to come over so we can play it the right way: With four people.

The one that came out after Dark Legacy is an utter piece of shit.

However, let's do Dark Legacy in July. I AM GREEN ARCHER OR RED SORCERESS PLZ THNK U BBY :aimkiss:

Bolivar
01-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Instead of passive-aggressively fact checking, I'm going to simply say I stand corrected by Del!

About Sony consoles, I'm not sure if it's all care or you guys are lucky. The disc readers of both my initial PS1 and 2 went on me. Gophermods told me I got YLOD on my PS3 because Sony used a cheap soldering fluid or something on the initial batch of PS3's.

But my PS2 slim has been solid and was absolutely wonderful for carrying back and forth from home throughout undergrad. I need to get mine back from my brother!

DMKA
01-01-2013, 05:31 AM
About Sony consoles, I'm not sure if it's all care or you guys are lucky. The disc readers of both my initial PS1 and 2 went on me. Gophermods told me I got YLOD on my PS3 because Sony used a cheap soldering fluid or something on the initial batch of PS3's.

I'd say you've just had lousy luck. I've never had a Sony console give me a problem. I still have my original PlayStation (the grey retangle), purchased in 1997, and it works like the day I bought it. My PSone (1999) still works perfectly as well. I also have my original PS2, purchased in 2002, also works like the day I bought it. My PSP still works perfectly too. And finally, my PS3, purchased in 2008, also still works like the day I got it.

But then again, my Nintendo GameCube (purchased in 2004) and Xbox 360 (purchased in 2007) also still both work just as well as the day I got them.

In fact, I've never had any console fail on me, with the exception of the Atari 2600 (which was caused by a bunch of neighbor kids who came over and abused it) and I never even went out of my way to take special care of any of them. Hell, my PlayStation saw many of falls, and again, still works perfectly.

Sony and Nintendo both build one hell of a durable console, and I can't see how you'd break them unless it's intentional/careless.