PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development, so this new season.....

sharkythesharkdogg
12-31-2012, 07:18 PM
...is anyone else worried?

I personally liked the first two seasons of Family Guy, for example, but despite the fact they brought back basically the same cast and writers, it quickly wrote itself into the ground.

I tried watching the new Futuramas, and even though they weren't bad, I also didn't make much effort to catch them when they aired.

I'm worried the same thing will be the case with Arrested Development. Should they have just left it alone?

Jinx
12-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Maybe.

I don't think they should do more than one more season. But it ended on a cliff hanger! Do Michael and George Michael escape? Etc etc.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Maeby and GM getting together.

charliepanayi
12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
It might well be a mistake, but only one way to find out now. Plus let's never compare it to Family Guy.

The Man
12-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Family Guy doesn't have most of the same writers, actually, from what I understand. Futurama brought back the writers and it's been pretty good since its revival.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
I thought FG brought back the same writers, but I'm certainly not sure about that. If not, that would explain part of it.

I'll have to go back and try the Futuramas again.

Shorty
12-31-2012, 09:36 PM
But Futurama is a cartoon and thus the actors do not age :/

I'm skeptical. I kindof just wish they'd let sleeping dogs lie because I don't think it can get better, only go downhill. I think it will turn into a caricature of itself, but I think I'll give it a shot.

Del Murder
12-31-2012, 10:43 PM
I think it will be good. Not worried at all since the alternative is having no more AD.

Miriel
12-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Not worried in the least. They wouldn't have done this if it weren't going to be amazing. The actors for the most part have careers beyond AD. Everyone has moved on. It's not like they've been clinging to AD desperate to make more, clutching at an any chance to do more AD regardless of quality. It's just that a unique opportunity popped up via Netflix that's unlike anything we've seen before (and hopefully something we see more of). They're excited about doing this, I'm sure they've thought a lot about how to do it right, and it's only going to be one season. The creator of the show has said that he would only be willing to do more AD if it were a feature film or if it were in some other special format because it's run it's course on the typical televised format. So here's that chance. And with such a smart creative team, I don't think they'll go wrong. Plus, AD has always been a remarkably self-aware show. They know what they're doing.

McLovin'
01-02-2013, 07:24 PM
The head writer has had yeeeaaars now to perfect the writing for this season. It'll be awesome.

Shorty
02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Update:

'Arrested Development': Kristen Wiig Cast As Young Lucille Bluth In Netflix Season 4 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/arrested-development-kristen-wiig_n_2721635.html)

FUCK YEAH KRISTEN WIIG

Del Murder
02-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Hahaha, should be pretty silly. When does this come out?

Jinx
02-21-2013, 06:12 AM
NEED THIS NOW PLZ THX

Yar
02-22-2013, 10:20 PM
I am hopeful. They did really well for three years, one more year won't be too hard. Typically comedy shows don't start really sucking until six or seven years in.

The one thing I am worried about is that they did kill quite a few of their running jokes as the series closed. So they'll have to establish some new ones in a short season.

charliepanayi
04-04-2013, 01:35 PM
All 15 episodes will be on Netflix on May 26th:

New 'Arrested Development' Season Coming to Netflix on May 26 - NYTimes.com (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/new-arrested-development-season-coming-to-netflix-on-may-26/)

Madame Adequate
04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I heard the jury's still out on science revivals.

Ouch!
04-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I am hopeful. They did really well for three years, one more year won't be too hard. Typically comedy shows don't start really sucking until six or seven years in.
Community would like to have a word with you.

The Man
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Community is a special case because NBC, being complete idiots, fired the showrunner. Arrested Development still has its original writers as far as I know so there's a much greater chance of the revival being worthwhile.

Ouch!
04-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Oh, I know. I just wanted to point out that six or seven years in is pretty generous for comedies. I'm having a hard time thinking of many shows that didn't start taking a dip before then (comedy or not).

charliepanayi
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah I'd say only the very best shows make it to six or seven seasons before they start to slip.

charliepanayi
04-25-2013, 10:30 PM
'Arrested Development' sneak peek with Buster and Lucille | Inside TV | EW.com (http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/25/arrested-development-buster-lucille/)

McLovin'
05-26-2013, 09:34 AM
It was great.

I Took the Red Pill
05-26-2013, 10:04 AM
First episode was painfully unfunny. Here's to hoping the rest pick up the slack.

Jinx
05-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Portia de Rossi looks terrible. She had waaaaaaay too much work done.

EDIT: I haven't been enjoying it much so far, but the third episode seems to have hit its stride. The part with the Thanksgiving Miracle got an actual LOL, so hopefully the season will just keep getting better.