PDA

View Full Version : Chocobo Racing To Get That Whiney Kids Weapon Charged

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Arguable the single worst sidequest in any Final Fantasy Game ever. I'm not joking. I was thinking of playing this game again then remebered that and stopped. It's terrible. I've no idea how i managed to get it the time i played this game 10 years ago but I did, fluked it probably.

Is this your worst experience of this game or dd you strugglev with something else? Lightening dodging was simple and i got butterfly thing easily too. This however...this is evil

Jinx
01-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Blitzball is the worst.

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Three things that killed the game for me at key moments:

- Blitzball, particularly the game with the smurfing Luca Goers. I literally fluked that win.
- Lightning Dodging can just die in a hole somewhere.
- Chocobo Racing and that dreaded 0:00:00 limit drove me insane.
- Butterfly catching can go die in an adjacent hole

It's the only Final Fantasy game that makes the Sidequests less fun than the core storyline. It's ridiculous, storylines are meant to uplift the game and make it interesting, not more dull and tears your hair out on a daily basis...

Karifean
01-02-2013, 01:17 AM
I like it. It's somewhat challenging, but not in a bad way (for me at least). Lightning Dodging is the worst of the Sigil Challenges IMO, I just don't have the patience to sit around and do nothing but wait for flashes and press a button... 200 times...

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 02:08 AM
you like it? are you mad? wanna do it for me? I'll give you 3 magic beans

Raistlin
01-02-2013, 02:45 AM
FFX's side stuff in general was just awful, and managed to make usually fun little tasks (see: FFVII and IX) a real chore. Chocobo racing and lightning dodging were both unbearable, with chocobo racing being the worst. Blitzball was at least tolerable in small quantities.

Reverof Enola
01-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Why did they have to make the minigames essential for the EFFING Celestial Weapons?! I mean come on now developers!! Played Blitzball once and I just couldn't bare it( never liked upgrading Wakka anyway). Never bothered with the lightning challenge, and only completed one of the butterfly challenges. Completed the Chocobo race and got Tidus's weapon( after three days and praying). Game is great just don't make minigames so damn important.

Pete for President
01-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Hah! You guys don't get the point. If getting the Celestial Weapons was easy, they would have no value. The sidequests are there to provide a grand sense of accomplishment with greater challenges than the normal storyline. If you can't handle the sidequests, you're not meant to be one of the few FFX diehards.

Also, chocobo racing is really not that difficult. Just stay cool, and use taps on the analogue stick. It usually gets me 0:00:00 in 3-5 tries. The butterfly game is difficult but achievable in an hour or two. Same goes for the lightning dodging.

Reverof Enola
01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Hah! You guys don't get the point. If getting the Celestial Weapons was easy, they would have no value. The sidequests are there to provide a grand sense of accomplishment with greater challenges than the normal storyline. If you can't handle the sidequests, you're not meant to be one of the few FFX diehards.

Also, chocobo racing is really not that difficult. Just stay cool, and use taps on the analogue stick. It usually gets me 0:00:00 in 3-5 tries. The butterfly game is difficult but achievable in an hour or two. Same goes for the lightning dodging.
All Ultimate weapons are like this except they actually involve some real gameplay(such as collecting materials from enemies or defeating a secret boss) as to getting them and not some crappy minigames.

Karifean
01-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Also, chocobo racing is really not that difficult. Just stay cool, and use taps on the analogue stick. It usually gets me 0:00:00 in 3-5 tries.

Pretty much this, although I use the D-Pad instead of the stick. All you really have to be careful about is steering to the side early enough when a bird comes your way.

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Idont mind things being difficult and im prepared to put time into it. However this race is just awful and relies heavily on pure luck.

I'll start a play through and if I cant do it I will honestly sell myself to anyone who can do it for me.

Pete for President
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM

All Ultimate weapons are like this except they actually involve some real gameplay(such as collecting materials from enemies or defeating a secret boss) as to getting them and not some crappy minigames.

Not too sure about this. I find capturing 5 or 10 specimens of every creature a more tedious chore than the minigames, as it is just repetition of what you've been doing pretty much the entire journey. I like most minigames for their fresh breeze, but I do see why dodging 200 lightning bolts can be labelled as crappy. I appreciate it's quirkiness nonetheless.

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
The buzzword it seems with FFX sidequests/minigames is repetition over enjoyment.

Loony BoB
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Do I keep trying to do the repetitive chore, or do I move the story forward and be forced to listen to Tidus, Seymour and Yuna? Decisions, decisions.

Rantz
01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Lightning dodging is simple but tedious. Butterfly catching isn't too hard, but incredibly frustrating. Chocobo racing is tedious, frustrating, and difficult to boot. I hated it so much that I wasn't even happy when I finally managed it. D:<

Goldenboko
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I did it on my first try on one of my playthroughs ^^

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I did it on my first try on one of my playthroughs ^^

I remember being at it for 4 days. Go smurf yourself.

Seriously, short of me posting one of you whores my memory card is there any worthwhile tips? I need to know it's achievable.

Madame Adequate
01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
No tips, chocobo racing is almost pure luck. First time I ever did it, literally the first time I tried it on the first time I played through the game, I got 0:00. I wondered what all the fuss was about. Ever since then I've had to try for God knows how long over and over and over to get it. The others are based in mostly skill or at least timing with a little luck but that one is just absolutely suicidally vile.

Blitzball, on the other hand, is the single best minigame to ever be put into a videogame, and is better than many whole games are. Anybody who disagrees is either mentally deficient and a danger to themselves and others, or is an agent of the Soviets intended to sow dissent and untruths throughout the Free World in revenge for our triumph over Communism. The only flaws identifiable in Blitzball in FFX stem from the lack of content - there need to be more teams, more players, more of everything.

I would pay five times the price of a full game for Blitzball Manager in the style of Football Manager. I would spend years sperging out with it.

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I can finally agree with you. Blitzball was just the best. I loved my wee team. I even remember who my final team was;

Tidus
Eigaar
Brother
Ropp
Wedge
Nimrock
Kyou

All Legends

Jinx
01-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Blitzball can go to hell.

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
If I wanted a sports game, I'd buy a bloody sports game. I bought a Final Fantasy, so I expect Final Fantasy, not what is essentially underwater water polo.

Madame Adequate
01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
If I wanted a sports game, I'd buy a bloody sports game. I bought a Final Fantasy, so I expect Final Fantasy, not what is essentially snowboarding down a mountainside.

Mandatory Blitzball is what, fifteen minutes total? And you don't even have to win. After that you can completely ignore the thing.

And Cuch you're alright!

Jinx
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
If I wanted a sports game, I'd buy a bloody sports game. I bought a Final Fantasy, so I expect Final Fantasy, not what is essentially snowboarding down a mountainside.

Mandatory Blitzball is what, fifteen minutes total? And you don't even have to win. After that you can completely ignore the thing.

And Cuch you're alright!

It's brutal.

Quiet.

Slow.

Boring.

Impossible.

:poo:

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
The problem with snowboarding is that it's a quaint, nice little game. To get big in Blitzball, you have to dedicate time, energy and resources to recruit players... hope to hell the award you want shows up in the league prize list... play that smurfing game against the Luca Goers...

The key here is that Snowboarding doesn't have much to it. It's just go down the mountain. Blitzball is like half a game within itself.

Cuchulainn
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM

you take that back

Jinx
01-02-2013, 11:09 PM

you take that back

no u

Loony BoB
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
I would pay five times the price of a full game for Blitzball Manager in the style of Football Manager. I would spend years sperging out with it.
I gotta admit, this would be freakin' awesome. Oh man. This just blew my mind. I love you, dude.

Formalhaut
01-02-2013, 11:24 PM
You sort of got Blitzball manager in FFX-2... :mad:

Pete for President
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
The problem with snowboarding is that it's a quaint, nice little game. To get big in Blitzball, you have to dedicate time, energy and resources to recruit players... hope to hell the award you want shows up in the league prize list...

Incorrect. The Besaid Aurochs team you start out with is decent enough to win everything right from the start.

The awards can be bypassed by resetting the Blitzball league stats.

No tips, chocobo racing is almost pure luck.

Disagreed. Some tips:

- Don't stress if you get hit by a bird, it is possible to get 0:00:00 while getting hit a few times.
- Tap the directional buttons/analogue stick. The chocobo moves forward on itself, all you have to do is steer a bit.
- Don't bother getting all the balloons, just the ones that are close to your (and the fastest) route.
- And last: just relax. Cruise that track down on a big yellow bird. You'll succeed.

Madame Adequate
01-04-2013, 01:55 AM
The problem with snowboarding is that it's a quaint, nice little game. To get big in Blitzball, you have to dedicate time, energy and resources to recruit players... hope to hell the award you want shows up in the league prize list... play that smurfing game against the Luca Goers...

The key here is that Snowboarding doesn't have much to it. It's just go down the mountain. Blitzball is like half a game within itself.

Yeah and as I said you don't NEED to do any of that. If you don't want to do any Blitz ever you can just go make a sandwich while the mandatory match is going on. Your point is that Blitzball is too detailed? :eyebrow: That's a good thing, it's actually got some meat to it and if people like it they can spend a lot of time there. If they don't then no harm done.

It's brutal.

Good. Also nice juxtaposition with the rest of this!

Quiet.

Turn up the volume.

Slow.

False.

Boring.

False.

Impossible.

You're a casual.

:poo:

What's Steve got to do with it? :o

Formalhaut
01-04-2013, 02:08 AM
I actually agree with many of your points, so shame on me. But I guess the cardinal sin is having to dig for the sigil and other rare items from Blitzball. That annoyed me.

Basically for me, every endgame weapon with awesome power has some annoying minigame behind it.

Freya
01-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Blitzball is actually really fun when keepa doesn't freaking suck., Like your'e name is keepa for goodness sake! Learn to be a better keeper!

I never really tried for hte lightning one but I actually enjoyed the minigames in this one. I mean nothing will be chocobo hot and cold. I agree that the celestial weapons are meant to be difficult to get. So yeah the minigames are tedious.

Cuchulainn
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Blitzball is actually really fun when keepa doesn't freaking suck., Like your'e name is keepa for goodness sake! Learn to be a better keeper!

I never really tried for hte lightning one but I actually enjoyed the minigames in this one. I mean nothing will be chocobo hot and cold. I agree that the celestial weapons are meant to be difficult to get. So yeah the minigames are tedious.

You kept Keepa? Whyyyy? Get Jumal in da smurf, until Nimrook gets released then get him at all costs.

By the end I was winning every game between 10 and 5 nil.

Larbeight of the Kilika Beasts is the best forward there is but i was never able to get him he kept re-signing for them

Madame Adequate
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Yep you want Jumal for keeper until you can grab Nimrook.

Always get Ropp as well, he's a good defender and he ends up as literally the best one in the game. And yeah if you can get Larbeight and pair him up with Tidus on the offense, trout gets real. (Tidus isn't stat-wise the best but his Jecht Shot means he's still arguably the most worthwhile forward because he can just knock some dudes the smurf out.)

If I remember almost all of the Kilika Beasts are actually quite beastly at higher levels. I know Vuroja is one of the best MF choices. Also consider Brother, he's good in mid, faster than Sanic, and winning Blitzball games can only help his prospects of scoring with Yuna.

Keepa, meanwhile, has 99 Shoot at level 99. :eyebrow: I think that's the highest in the game. His other stats are no good so he's not actually worth using most of the time but yeah.

Aulayna
01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
The only one I didn't like was the Lightning Dodging because it was just dull and tedious.

Blitzball I actually really loved and was outraged when they turned into into some crappy football management for beginners simulator in X-2.

Rocket Edge
01-06-2013, 11:34 PM
I loved Blitzball! Couldn't even begin to imagine how many hours I spent with it. But yeah, the rest were boring.

Crop
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
The only FF minigame that comes close to beating blitzball for me is Triple Triad, and I pretty much lose interest in that when some of the worst rules come into play.

I have literaly spent 10x more time on blitzball than on the actual game.
Wouldn't it be great if all us blitz-heads could start our own league and play each other online? Someone design this game!

Skyblade
01-07-2013, 06:46 AM
The plot characters usually all make it into my team. Rin is my center, he has a good pass rating and skill setup. Brother is one of my defenders, good attack and insane speed. And Wakka and Tidus are my forwards.

My only real complaint about Blitzball in X is how hard it gets to learn abilities as you progress because the computer sticks to only a few. When your only way to learn abilities is as Blue Magic, it sucks when the AI never thinks about even equipping the ones you need.

And they butchered Blitzball in X-2.

Cuchulainn
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Yep you want Jumal for keeper until you can grab Nimrook.

Always get Ropp as well, he's a good defender and he ends up as literally the best one in the game. And yeah if you can get Larbeight and pair him up with Tidus on the offense, trout gets real. (Tidus isn't stat-wise the best but his Jecht Shot means he's still arguably the most worthwhile forward because he can just knock some dudes the smurf out.)

If I remember almost all of the Kilika Beasts are actually quite beastly at higher levels. I know Vuroja is one of the best MF choices. Also consider Brother, he's good in mid, faster than Sanic, and winning Blitzball games can only help his prospects of scoring with Yuna.

Keepa, meanwhile, has 99 Shoot at level 99. :eyebrow: I think that's the highest in the game. His other stats are no good so he's not actually worth using most of the time but yeah.

Larbeight attacker is the best, but hard to get. Another good player is in Besaid but you cant get until you destroy DV. Wedge as a forward is a beast at lower levels. Best defence i'd say is Kyou and Ropp. Brother in midfield, Tidus and Wedge upfront. Bingo bango

EDIT: I forgot a better Goalie than Jumal is Durren. Get him (Kyou is actyually better than both but he's even better in defence so I'd keep him there)

DMKA
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Yeah, it sucked, but when I played again a few months ago I didn't have nearly as much trouble as I remember having years ago. It was still enough to frustrate me beyond belief though. I flat out gave up on lightning bolt dodging this time around, however, which is weird because when I played years ago I found it to be pretty easy.

I actually really enjoyed most of FFX's sidequests, and the only FF I never really got into the sidequests of was FFIX, although I did beat Ozma, who was the easiest superboss ever.

leader of mortals
01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I actually liked FFX-2's Blitzball

Formalhaut
01-08-2013, 12:01 AM

It wasn't AS bad everyone's saying, put it that way. It was okay!

Nebulance
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
No tips, chocobo racing is almost pure luck. First time I ever did it, literally the first time I tried it on the first time I played through the game, I got 0:00. I wondered what all the fuss was about. Ever since then I've had to try for God knows how long over and over and over to get it. The others are based in mostly skill or at least timing with a little luck but that one is just absolutely suicidally vile.

This. I beat it once, on my second playthrough when I decided to go after all the ultimate weapons. Since then, I haven't been able to get it after wasting countless hours. My alternative is to build him a better weapon.

Skyblade
01-08-2013, 04:55 PM

It wasn't AS bad everyone's saying, put it that way. It was okay!

I couldn't stand playing it at all.

But what really kills it is that they had a fun, well designed game already in existence, and they scrapped it for something clearly inferior.

Super Christ
01-09-2013, 06:03 AM
I enjoyed blitzball, at least until it came time to try and get Wakka's celestial weapon. Then I learned to dislike it. Whatever your opinion on blitzball, though, at least it beats the pants off of triple triad and tetra master. I will say at least that it was bad form to include a forced match in the main storyline; both for blitzball, and tetra master in 9.

It's the only Final Fantasy game that makes the Sidequests less fun than the core storyline.

Gotta disagree with you there; what FF13 attempts to pass off as sidequests is worse. Couldn't even be bothered to attempt them. FF12 wasn't much better in this regard, either, although at least the fight with Gilgamesh was freaking awesome.

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 06:58 AM
It's the only Final Fantasy game that makes the Sidequests less fun than the core storyline.

Gotta disagree with you there; what FF13 attempts to pass off as sidequests is worse. Couldn't even be bothered to attempt them. FF12 wasn't much better in this regard, either, although at least the fight with Gilgamesh was freaking awesome.

See, I forgot about the Cie'th stones. I still think X's sidequests are worse, but yeah, XIII's sidequest (singular) was pretty shocking.

I liked XII's sidequests! :eek:

Super Christ
01-09-2013, 08:19 AM
The difficulty with 12's, at least as far as I remember them, is that all of 12's sidequests were hunts - go there, kill that. Which is more or less what 13 passed off as it's sidequests.

Formalhaut
01-09-2013, 10:50 PM
The difficulty with 12's, at least as far as I remember them, is that all of 12's sidequests were hunts - go there, kill that. Which is more or less what 13 passed off as it's sidequests.

Really? Hunts played a major part, but there were others like:

- Medallions and the Nu'Mou
- Those windmill puzzle things in the Cerobi Steppe
- Desert Patient Quests with the Outpost
- Ktjn the Viera and being a life coach with her
- Seven Sisters Airship Stewardesses
- River fishing

I'm sure there's many others I've missed, but more than other games, there's a wide variety of side-quests on offer! There's the sky pirate den...and the bestiary and filling out entries!!

Aulayna
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I love how these discussions criticising elements of one game always inevitably turn into critique fests about the systems used in other instalments of the franchise :D