PDA

View Full Version : Create Your Perfect Game

Loony BoB
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
My perfect game would be an MMORPG done in the styling of a single player RPG. For those who know of my Aiyon world, it would be based on this world, but that's not hugely important if you don't know of Aiyon.

It would start off with a hundred or more safe visitable locations, varying in size (similar to FFVII going from small huts to, well, Midgar-esque multi-layered sprawling cities). It would not be easy to get to the far areas from your starting location... you would need to work long and hard to get to them, unlocking vehicles etc. in order to pass certain areas and so forth (similar to FFVII, again). In some cases this could take weeks of leveling just to get to them - imagine being able to unlock a new area or two on average each day if you played for four or five hours per day.

To get from visitable location to visitable location, you would travel on the overworld or using transport such as trains, vehicles etc. which would also be visible on the overworld but not always controllable. Perhaps it might just be a quick cutscene similar to going from Costa Del Sol to Gold Saucer in such non-controllable instances, or perhaps it would be like the trains in FFVIII where you watch the train move around.

The overworld would be massive and feature limited gameplay functionality such as item finding, fighting, player to player trading, stuff like that. You could zoom in or out of the overworld. At the furthest out, it would look similar to the world maps seen in FFVII/VIII/IX. At this point you would move faster but not be able to avoid any aggressive enemies even if they are slow because you effectively run into them and not be able to see items (although there's still a chance you could pick them up). Only party members would be visible on the zoomed out overworld. If you zoomed into the world map, you would find it easier to avoid enemies, you would move between cities at a slower pace (effecitvely you are showing your journey "in detail" when you zoom in) and be able to hunt non-aggressive animals and visibly see items you can obtain. The overworld would be important for leveling up, collecting items, stuff like that. When zoomed in, you could see more players than just your party and a journey from city to city could take between a couple of minutes to an hour depending on how remote the area is. When zoomed out, a journey would normally take less than a minute, not including battle time. Think of it like switching from traveling in a car to traveling on a bike or something. The time difference naturally changes.

Dungeons would be fewer than safe visitable locations (due to the overworld being a giant dungeon), and could range from specific small areas of the overworld through to extensive areas such as large forests. On the overworld, many enemies will be avoidable while others which out-pace your method of transportation would not be avoidable (although they would need to be aggressive to force you into battle). Some avoidable ones might also link up to story progression so it would not always be wise to avoid every enemy there is.

Instead of adding new areas in expansions, the developers would instead focus on developing the existing world. This is why I would have so many areas from the start. Sure, sometimes a development could lead to a new visitable area if circumstances called for it (a new crater should a comet hit, for example) but the vast number of existing locations would instead be the focus. An expansion would show the changes that have happened to that location based on events of the story, similar to the differences between Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. If players congested in a small town quite a lot, that town might grow slightly, for example.

People could create quests and post them onto in-game bulletin boards. These quests could even be chained into player-driven storylines that have multiple requirements done stage-by-stage. As time goes on, the devs would taken on player feedback and implement more kinds of ways that quests could be expanded on. It would work a little like LittleBigPlanet. Players could also create and partake in sports/gambling/games with leaderboards, including anything from races to hunting challenges (not simply "kill _____" but rather "kill ____ from x distance".

Magic would be something everyone had the ability to use but you could only truly grow strong in one area at a time. As you strengthen in one of the eleven areas - eg. Fire - all other areas would weaken slightly. This wouldn't be noticeable at lower levels, just the higher ones. You can still change your equipment very easily and thus have significantly different roles in battle, and you should still be able to be proficient in all areas of magic despite you being extremely strong in one. While equipment would still allow you to be capable in almost all battles, the magic choices you make will be what people look for in battle rather than the normal "need a tank". You might still need a tank, but it also might be an advantage if they are competent in a certain magic. The main magic you have could be taken to extremes when maxed out, allowing you to have extreme advantages in certain situations. These extremes would also allow for a multitude of tactics to be used against a variety of enemies, some of which would be due to magical weakness while others would be due to creative methods of victory.

The magic-focused world would also react to the magic use. As one type of magic becomes prominent, the number of monsters that are effective against that kind of magic would naturally grow more common. This would effectively mean the world balances itself and constantly allows for people to change their actions in the game. The flipside is that when those enemies you are effective against die out, they also become rare and their drops would become more valuable.

Certain areas of the world would be the 'focus' for each magic type. Visiting these magic types could allow you to change your magical focus when you are a high/capped level by means of undertaking a quest.

The storyline would naturally be huge and would be released in patches of at least a few major and a dozen minor quests each month or so to avoid people crashing through the story all at once and then getting bored and leaving. Annual expansions would come with more long-term quests that would take months to complete.

There would be a lot of lore. Beating various different kinds of enemies would increase the lore available to you, just like in FFXII. This lore could lead to you being more likely to get certain drops from certain enemies by identifying the best ways to kill them to ensure that drop arrives.

The main reason to keep playing would be the developing world and the community rather than the quests themselves - although the story would still be worth it, and the graphics would be decent at worst (overworld zoomed out would not be amazing) and amazing at best (we're talking Myst-esque visuals in HD at some of the safe visitable locations that aren't cities/shops - cities/shops would still be HD but probably not as mindblowing, although naturally all that would be subjective). The world would probably be at an industrial age or a bit later, but with a much heavier focus on magic as a source of power and technology, and magic would generally come from the people.

There would be seasons that would be notable in some areas and less notable in others. This would not work on Earth's reasoning for seasons but instead be based on magic, so sometimes it might not be summer at one end of the world just because it's winter at another. Seasons would make certain weather more likely and also in some locations affect the terrain/flora.

Everyone would be on the same global world, and it would truly be global from the get-go. None of this "we will unlock future regions later on" business. Instead of multiple worlds seperating people, starting regions would seperate them instead, and there would be seperate servers for each region (regions generally being between one or two servers per continent). Starting regions would also have starting cities seperated out within them, just like servers have seperate starting cities. This would mean that instead of being seperated from your friends permanently, you would only ever be seperated from them for as long as it takes you to geographically reach them. You could still contact them in-game before then, though, through chat (ie, communication device in-game). People would, just as they do with servers in current MMOs, undoubtedly still endeavour to organise themselves to be in the same region from the start. Not all regions would have starting points, either. Some would be "foreign" to new players and require you to unlock access to them through gameplay (eg. Wutai in FFVII).

Pretty sure nobody will read all that or care, but I thought it would be interesting to write down my thoughts on the perfect game for me, and it just kind of kept growing. I'm actually restraining myself from putting down more stuff. xD I really, really need to get working on Aiyon again.

Araciel
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Let me get back to you.

I'd play your game for a few hundred hrs I think.

krissy
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
it's a sex mmorpgr
at first you're really bad at it but then you keep levelling up and getting better
eventually you can shoot down behemoths in one ejac-attack

edit: obviously there's dungeons. obviously.

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Skywind.

DownDiagonalLeftA
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Chrono Trigger.

Night Fury
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Something where I can play as a Dragon and tear shit up, or other mythical creatures. But as a human also, perhaps I can tame the dragon.

Something dragony and magicy.

Araciel
01-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara hardest 4p Coorperated no death playthrough - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntqBsj_h4u4)

This kinda game, but with more levelling and gear as well as special abilities, more story and choose-your-own adventure type exploration for replay value, co-op attacks a la cronotrigger, more movement types etc....

Psychotic
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I always wanted a kind of Elder Scrolls/GTA hybrid set in the Wild West with some random horror elements (zombies, ghosts - Weird West basically) and then Red Dead Redemption came along and, RPG elements aside, pretty much nailed that.

Now I just want co-op Bully 2.

Alternatively, Lord of the Rings. The RPG. EA's The Third Age didn't really cut it - I want a WRPG not a JRPG. Skyrim style Middle-Earth. Obviously you need to expand the story a bit to allow for exploration of Middle-Earth at large, but also stunning locales like Moria or Lothlorien. The combat and fighting would definitely not be Elder Scrollsy. Maybe Dynasty Warriorsy or perhaps Assassin's Creedy. Maybe it would be like the PS2 LotR games. I don't really know. Speaking of fighting, I want a seperate mode to fight whatever battle I want whenever I want. And edit the battles. So I can have 10,000 Frodo Baggins vs the Witch-King. Oh and as many players for co-op as you can handle. Yep, I don't ask for much ;) The impossible dream.

Or: FFVII remake. Co-op. Kingdom Hearts style combat. I had a dream about this once where I was playing it with Dan who was Barret and it was smurfing amazing in my dream.

16 player free-roam co-op Zombie city. Dead Rising but on a larger scale. Project Zomboid but in all its next gen love glory. My favourite idea is a mode where you have to survive for 2 and a half hours but with limited resources. Do you team up with people or betray them for what they have? With the usual online crowd it'd just be a deathmatch but with a bunch of decent people I bet it would rule. Maybe you'd all have unique objectives like "TAKE THE ENTIRE SUPPLY OF PUMPKINS" or "KILL ICEGLOW!" too.

Dwarf Fortress but not a laggy piece of trout, and have lovely isometric graphics like Stonesense.

As for a MMORPG, factions. Like, Game of Thrones. Player run. Each faction could build and conquer cities and buy troops, and player characters would be heroes. Disputed territories. Huge battles and sieges. The combat again would be more DWy or ACy than anything else. The problem is that the majority of online players are imbeciles and you'd struggle to get any compelling factions or intrigue. EVE is probably the closest thing to it and the less said about those mouthbreathing neckbeards, the better.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Something where I can play as a Dragon and tear trout up, or other mythical creatures. But as a human also, perhaps I can tame the dragon.

You mean Breath of Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_of_Fire)?

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Alternatively, Lord of the Rings. The RPG. EA's The Third Age didn't really cut it - I want a WRPG not a JRPG. Skyrim style Middle-Earth. Obviously you need to expand the story a bit to allow for exploration of Middle-Earth at large, but also stunning locales like Moria or Lothlorien. The combat and fighting would definitely not be Elder Scrollsy. Maybe Dynasty Warriorsy or perhaps Assassin's Creedy. Maybe it would be like the PS2 LotR games. I don't really know. Speaking of fighting, I want a seperate mode to fight whatever battle I want whenever I want. And edit the battles. So I can have 10,000 Frodo Baggins vs the Witch-King. Oh and as many players for co-op as you can handle. Yep, I don't ask for much ;) The impossible dream.

I can't give you Middle Earth, but Mount and Blade: Warband has large, medieval battles with excellent combat mechaincs. :D

Jinx
01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Something where I can play as a Dragon and tear trout up, or other mythical creatures. But as a human also, perhaps I can tame the dragon.

A game, sort of borrowing from Majora's Mask, where you can change into mythical creatures. Unicorn for speed, dragon for fire and flight, mermaid for underwater and extra-swimming abilities, fairy to tiny places.

Etc, etc, I'm a girl

Pumpkin
01-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Final Fantasy IX.

Will give more detailed answer when bored and have time.

black orb
01-07-2013, 05:09 AM
>>> Mesh all the fighting games I like into one..:luca:

NeoCracker
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM

You mean Breath of Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_of_Fire)?

Beat me to it. :love:

Laddy
01-07-2013, 09:59 AM
A WRPG. Duh. However, I want a non-traditional take on the genre.

I want a focused narrative and an established party of a JRPG, with each character having a set role in combat that is able to be developed in multiple directions, both as a combatant (for example, a mage character with diplomacy skills I can choose to emphasize) and as a character (allow me to have a say in how the character changes as a person). I want the plot to have multiple endings and solutions, but with an established goal.

I want combat to tactical turn-based, but fast and fluid. Give me options, give me a wide variety of equipment choices to use. Give me ways to improve my tactical standing, but make the game difficult so I feel I often need to use them. Give me a wide variety of combat and non-combat skills, and make them all equally useful. Make me think about how I want to develop my party. Give me the option to beat the game with non-combat solutions, but make me work for it. Also, I'd rather have less long and meaningful fights than a bunch of short and ultimately pointless fights.

Give me the best soundtrack, voice acting, and writing. Give me a lot of sidequests with multiple solutions that affect the gameworld. Make the gameworld big and open, but give me interesting things to do in it. Reward exploration but don't make a world so big it's loaded with filler.

Give me an interesting gameworld with multiple factions and locations I can choose to associate with. Give me politics and give me the option to screw over less-desirable factions. Give me moral choices that are difficult or have drawbacks, but if I can think of a better solution to problems, leave those open to me to.

Make the game emotionally powerful. Have humor in it that doesn't insult my intelligence but also feel free to disturb or firghten me a bit. Make me think. Make an experience.

NeoCracker
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
...So Dragon Age with better writing, more options, and harder? :p

Laddy
01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
...So Dragon Age with better writing, more options, and harder? :p
There are so many more ways why Dragon Age is not that game, but basically.

Pike
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Guys this is what I want.

I want Bethesda to say "Hey you know TES Online? JUST KIDDING, that was a cover to throw you all off the scent! Actually we're making TES VI: Tamriel and it's going to be just like Morrowind except with Skyrim's graphics and combat mechanics and you're going to be able to travel to every province in Tamriel and every single one is going to have a setting and storyline as deep and involving as Morrowind's."

That is what I want.

:)