PDA

View Full Version : So I am replaying this game

Pumpkin
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
And I haven't played in years and I never got passed disc 1.

What tips/tricks/secrets should I know as I embark on this journey?

If I remember correctly, Vincent and Yuffie are optional characters. How do I go about getting them?

Other such advice is much appreciated :jess:

Jinx
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Naming them all Sepiroth will enhance your enjoyment of this game thrice-fold.

Flying Mullet
01-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Don't let Aeris die.

Pumpkin
01-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Don't let Aeris die.
:|

krissy
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
yuffie is a random encounter in forested areas
vincent is a sidequest in nibelheim, which is a long ways off, but still somewhere on disc 1 (personally i only got him on disc 2 or 3)

Jinx
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
In all seriousness: If you want to feel emotionally invested and connected to the game/Aeris' death, I encourage you to use her in your main party. She's a great caster/healer.

If you want to not spend x amount of hours pouring time, energy, and exp into a character who becomes unavailable, only use her when the game forces you to.

krissy
01-04-2013, 10:37 PM
her final limit break is pretty cool but it takes a lot of effort to get it
im pretty sure it was based on how many battles you've fought without running away? something about the even-ness of the last few digits of that count

Loony BoB
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
All the characters are decent party members and you can pretty much win with any of them. Be sure to grow your materia. Kick arse, take names, All materia when mastered sells for a lot of gil. Most importantly, remember that EoFF is your best friend for all things Final Fantasy, and the FFVII section of EoFF is pretty in-depth to say the least.

Eyes on Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VII (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/section/185-final-fantasy-vii.html)

DrAssenov
01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
I am ridiculous when it comes to RPG's. I try to level up as much as I can so that all enemies in the region are taken care of in 1-2 attacks.

Master materia!

Yuffie is a pretty useful character. There's FAQ out there that can help you get her, since you have to choose a series of responses when you speak with her for the first time.

Enjoy yourself!

Jinx
01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
All the characters are decent party members and you can pretty much win with any of them. Be sure to grow your materia. Kick arse, take names, All materia when mastered sells for a lot of gil. Most importantly, remember that EoFF is your best friend for all things Final Fantasy, and the FFVII section of EoFF is pretty in-depth to say the least.

Eyes on Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VII (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/section/185-final-fantasy-vii.html)

BoB, why are you shamelessly plugging to people who are already members? xD

Skyblade
01-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Because the frontsite is cold and lonely compared to the forums, and needs all the love we can send it.

maybee
01-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Vincent is hanging out in the Nibelhiem mansion and Yuffie is hanging out by forests on the world map. The best place and time to get Yuffie imo is before going to Junon.

Both of them are going to take a little work to get them, but they're both worth it in the end. Yuffie while highly obnoxious is a excellent fighter and some some really good and handy limit breaks.

I would forget about Aeris and have Yuffie instead as her healing limit break is just as great if not better.

PoolHandMan
01-05-2013, 03:58 AM
wow this is my fav game so I can give you some good tips
I think ppl explained how to get yuffie and vincent so I'll go to general tips

FF7 is based on the materia system so, you must level your materia to go through the game smoothly. what you must be careful is that many materia have a negative and a positive side effect. For example, you can equip lightning, and it gives you +5 magic, for example (I don't remember exacly the numbers) but your strength will decrease in 4. So build your materia having that in mind (don't put a lot of summon/green materia in the same character) Other materia, like purple, blue and yellow don't have these drawbacks, so equip freely.

About aeris, she has the best limit breaks in the game, and, since she dies, you better get her to the last limit to take advantage while she's still alive (sounds mean right? haha). Easy trick to gain limit breaks: They are 7: 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1,3-3 and 4. For example, to gain limit 1-2, you must use limit 1 10-15 times. To gain limit 2-1 you must kill 40-60 enemies, and this repeats until limit 4. to get those you need especific items for each character.

my final tip is to choose your favorite group while you play the game because in a certain part of the game (CD 2 and so forth) items get expensive, and you won't have money to buy weapons, armor and accessories for all characters.

That's it, sorry for the long reply, got a little excited :) hope it helped

Formalhaut
01-05-2013, 05:48 AM
VII has many hints and tips that one can exploit, here's the highlights anyway off the top of my head:

- Midgar Zolom: Very useful to get character's -2 limits, because of the insane amount of damage it does. Can also get the enemy skill Beta, which will basically carry you throughout Disc One. Can be quite tough, but with the right strategy, it can be done, and you will be glad of it

- Mythril Mine: A very small cavern, but enemies always come in groups of either 3 of 4 normally. They are also weak, so are perfect for 1- limits with a kill count.

- Yuffie: Despite her actually appearing the least in the Junon area forests, it's worth getting her because she's a plucky fighter

- Fort Condor: Visit often to get many nice rewards. Use a walkthrough for actual specifics as to when the next battle is

- Gold Saucer: You can get many goodies in the battle square! A champion belt, if your really keen. You can get rare materia for a middling BP cost.

- Vincent: In the Shinra mansion in the underground section. After a long chat, he joins you. He's another long range character, though I prefer Yuffie as his limit breaks makes you lose control of him.

- Junon Alarm Trick: After escaping Gold Saucer and getting the buggy, head back to Junon through the Costa Del Sol. Hit the red alarm in the tunnel and let the party begin! The enemies are quite tough at first, but you will level and get rather good AP very fast. It's a great trick, thanks because of a glitch. Mideel is actually better, but you don't have the Bronco yet.

- Mideel: Talking about Mideel, you can use the Bronco to land on the Mideel area. While you can't enter the town, you can still roam around, fighting very tough monsters you see on Disc Two. Generally the best levelling area in Disc One

That should do for now. The main ones are the levelling areas, once you get a high level, you can breeze through most of Disc one, and Disc Two.

That's it, sorry for the long reply, got a little excited :) hope it helped

Don't worry, I like long posts!

Loony BoB
01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Someone is asking for tips/tricks/secrets or anything to keep in mind when playing FFVII. I linked to a section of the site that has a page on tips & tricks for FFVII, amongst other great things. People who spend all their time at the forums are very quick to forget about the frontsite when playing the actual games, but the frontsite is genuinely awesome.

Basically, not to get her to join, but to show/remind her of some good resources. :p

Bubba
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I think Aeris has enough screen time anyway to develop an emotional attachment to her. I personally wouldn't use her constantly, unless I'm trying to get her final Limit Break.

Loony BoB
01-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I would use her if you like her character and not use her if you don't. That's probably the best way to play.

Bubba
01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
I would use her if you like her character and not use her if you don't. That's probably the best way to play.

Actually yeah, this...

krissy
01-06-2013, 12:22 AM
i use her and tifa in the same party and go to the inns a lot

a lot

if you knows wut i maen

Final Fantasy 7 Good Night Text Alert Tone SMS Ringtone - YouTube (http://youtu.be/1M-M86H-Z0U)

Raistlin
01-06-2013, 03:37 AM
I wouldn't bother trying to get Aerith's last limit break unless you want to spend A LOT of time grinding in disc 1.

The Midgar Zolom is tough to beat when you first encounter him, but its Beta Enemy Skill can make disc 1 a piece of cake. Other notable Enemy Skills available in disc 1 are White Wind and Big Guard (available from enemies around Fort Condor and Costa del Sol respectively after you get the Manipulate materia) and Trine (cast by various enemies and bosses). Enemy Skills are far superior than magic materia for most of the game.

Unless you feel a dire need to grind for levels/AP, I would advise you to wait until you get the Tiny Bronco later in disc 1. Then I believe you can reach the island of Mideel (southeast corner), and its surrounding forest is one of the best places to level up in the entire game (arguably until the final dungeon).

I would advise getting Yuffie as soon as possible, which allows you to do the Wutai sidequest after you get the Tiny Bronco. It can be fairly difficult at that time, and some people find it very annoying, but I think it's very entertaining (if a bit frustrating if you're unprepared and under-leveled). It's also worthwhile to get various items, including the Leviathan summon.

Laddy
01-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Equip your characters with Materia that plays to their strengths. For example, Cait Sith, Aerith, and Red XII make great casters, whereas Barret and Cid are good fighter types.

Citizen Bleys
01-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I advise grinding outside the chocobo ranch (near Kalm) until level 30 -- this goes fast if you try to unlock a few limit breaks using hyper and cover. Then you don't need to dodge the Midgar Zolom on a chocobo, you can just beat the bastard, and get Beta at the same time. (Make sure your character with the Enemy Skill material doesn't do much damage before someone gets kicked out).

Later, after you get the buggy, drive into Costa Del Sol on the buggy and stow away on the ship to Junon. Very near where you come out at the Junon ship, you'll see several Shinra troops drilling. Beside them is a...red thing. Press it, and alarms will go off and you'll start getting strong (for that level) random encounters, giving 80-160 AP per fight, and a fair amount of exp and gil. You should have some double materia growth gear at this point, so you can master a bunch of them. I went to level 50 there before setting foot in Gongaga. At level 50, you can easily one-shot the boss in Cosmo Canyon with a limit break. It also basically means you'll never have to level again. This is the best place to level on Disc 1, but by the time you hit Disc 2 regular enemies will be just as good.

maybee
01-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I advise grinding outside the chocobo ranch (near Kalm) until level 30 -- this goes fast if you try to unlock a few limit breaks using hyper and cover. Then you don't need to dodge the Midgar Zolom on a chocobo, you can just beat the bastard, and get Beta at the same time. (Make sure your character with the Enemy Skill material doesn't do much damage before someone gets kicked out).

Later, after you get the buggy, drive into Costa Del Sol on the buggy and stow away on the ship to Junon. Very near where you come out at the Junon ship, you'll see several Shinra troops drilling. Beside them is a...red thing. Press it, and alarms will go off and you'll start getting strong (for that level) random encounters, giving 80-160 AP per fight, and a fair amount of exp and gil. You should have some double materia growth gear at this point, so you can master a bunch of them. I went to level 50 there before setting foot in Gongaga. At level 50, you can easily one-shot the boss in Cosmo Canyon with a limit break. It also basically means you'll never have to level again. This is the best place to level on Disc 1, but by the time you hit Disc 2 regular enemies will be just as good.

^ Holy trout ! You're not telling a fib ?

I must try this. :O_O:

You don't really need a Chocobo to dodge the Zolom. If you time it right and twist the camera angle, you can just run for it. I do it every-time.

Citizen Bleys
01-06-2013, 05:18 PM
What, about the levelling spot in Junon? It works like a charm.

krissy
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
you can also reach the southern islands using the bronco on disc 1, another great levelling spot, especially if you have beta. you can spam beta on most groups of enemies there and take them out with one hit, and it's really good exp/ap

Raistlin
01-06-2013, 08:17 PM

It's good for that area, but after Rocket Town the forest outside of Mideel is better, which remains one of the best areas to level up in the entire game. I'm not entirely positive you can reach the forest in disc 1, but the grass areas on the islands have some of the same enemies and should be better than anything else in disc 1. The enemies are worth about 80 AP each and come in groups of 2-4. But considering you can fight in Junon well beforehand (there are a few bosses between Costa del Sol and when you can go to Mideel), Junon is also a great place to stop for a while. If you wanted to do the Wutai sidequest as soon as possible, I would recommend the Mideel islands.

krissy
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
yeah that's what i meant.

the only thing you migth have trouble with is the sandworm.

but quite honestly don't worry too much about anything we're saying and just have fun exploring and getting into trouble

Pumpkin
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
I have done some of the things mentioned. I did use the Chocobo to cross the swamp, after getting everyone to level 20, and then I built up some more in the Junon area (which I'm still doing), and went back and fought the snake and got Beta. I found an interesting strategy that worked.

1. Equip [Red XII] with monster magic (I have decided he will be my blue mage).
2. Equipe [Red XIII] with Fire and link it to Elemental on his armor. That way he takes less damage from Fire attacks (Beta).
3. I had Cloud do damage (mostly Quake) and Tifa heal as Red XIII guarded and waited for him to kick Cloud out of the party, because he generally kicks out whoever is doing the most damage.
4. When he uses Beta, Red XIII, still had about 400~ HP, instantly cast Beta.
5. Win fight.

It took a few tries because I either a) poorly timed my actions or b) jerk-snake kicked out Red.

now I got Yuffie and am doing the optional mountain sidequest and trying to get everyone to level 25.

Everyone excpet Aeris is now at the Limit level 2, and Red XII also has his level 3 limit. Cloud has his Climhazzard. My Fire, Lightning, Ice spells are level 2. So is cover and choco/mog and my two all materias. One of my Restores is almost at level 2.

EDIT

Also, if anyone cares, I am blogging my progress under My First Day in the blog section.

PoolHandMan
01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
I didn't do any fancy strategies to kill Midgar zolom, all I did was equipping one character with a fire ring (you find it in Costa Del Sol) and then Equip the same character with the Enemy Skill materia. When that bloody snake cast beta on me, my character survived and I just kept attacking 'till I killed it.

One final hint: in this game, you don't need to worry too much about leveling up, just go through the game smoothly, (of course you need to level up, but you don't need to overdo it) do not train that hard and you'll like it (one time that I played I decided to level up too much and the game got so easy that it wasn't so fun)

Skyblade
01-07-2013, 06:40 AM
FYI, the Midgard Zol doesn't kick out the person who does the most damage, he kicks out the first person to attack him after he stands up. Just don't queue attacks so you can be sure to control who that is and he'll always attack the one you want.

Ok, technically, I'm lying. The Zolom doesn't always target the first person to damage him after he stands up. It's actually the person whose attack takes him under a certain HP amount, which isn't quite the same thing. He stands up at 3/4 health lost, and ejects at 1/2 health lost. I'm used to fighting him with hard hitting characters (or by using Poison for the majority of my damage), so the rules get played with some. Once an attack drops him below 1/2 health, he ejects the person who did the attack. If Poison drops him below 1/2 health, he ejects the next person to attack him. Either way, though, he targets that person, regardless of how much damage they've done throughout the fight.

Also, the Fire Ring completely negates fire damage, so combining it with Elemental + Fire in someone's armor is a waste. If you're going for Beta after getting the Fire Ring, give one person the ring, another Elemental + Fire, and get the third kicked out so your whole party will live.