PDA

View Full Version : What if SE decided to be even more edgy...

Wolf Kanno
01-07-2013, 05:48 AM
...and announced FFXV as a portable title on the 3DS or Vita? This was inspired by an amusing article (http://whatculture.com/gaming/3-things-square-enix-can-do-to-save-final-fantasy.php/3) I read which I had mixed feelings about but this has been something I've debated about. I mean we went MMO, why not make the next entry a portable since the JRPG genre is still flourishing there while the WRPG conquers the consoles. Thoughts?

black orb
01-07-2013, 05:56 AM
>>> Want me to waste money on a new console-handheld just for FF?.. No thanks..:luca:

Futan
01-07-2013, 06:12 AM
I think if they did it'd be more of a resort than a "let's be edgy" thing. Either way, I probably wouldn't buy it. RPG & mobile together makes no sense to me. "Let's give them a game that takes dozens of hours to complete then put it on a platform where they will only play it for 15 minutes at a time." wut?

Bolivar
01-07-2013, 06:14 AM
There's a 26% chance they would go the popular route with mobile titles like this, making a monster hunter/gods eater ripoff. Which I think they might like, given the direction Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia point.

But other than that, I think it would be the easiest, surest way to ensure SE would bring FF back to its glory days.

You can look at handheld JRPGs and see a lot of modern classics, but if you look at console JRPGs the best you can really come up with are some cool games that didn't quite live up to their full potential. I fully believe the nature of the platform is responsible for this and there's a ton of reasons why.

black orb
01-07-2013, 06:35 AM
>>> 1 Thing Square-Enix Can Do To Save Final Fantasy:

Make a good game.

Everything else is just foolery..:luca:

blackmage_nuke
01-07-2013, 06:51 AM
I dont need them to get any bright ideas about Kingdomheartsing the FF series and releasing all thier games on seperate consoles.

VeloZer0
01-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't have any problem with the concept of releasing the title on a handheld, in fact I would lay odds that they would probably end up with a better game in the end. Unfortunately I am not particularly fond of the 3DS or Vita, so that is kind of a kicker.

Jinx
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't need them to get any bright ideas about Kingdomheartsing the FF series and releasing all their games on separate consoles.

This, exactly.

I will never play Kingdom Hearts, and this is why. If they actually release Kingdom Hearts 1.5 in the west, I might do it. But if they don't, I never will get past the first one.

If they released a Final Fantasy title on a handheld only (as opposed to remakes) there's no way I'd play it. I probably wouldn't even own the handheld needed. And this is personal preference, but I just really don't like handheld games all that much.

Yar
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
This would never happen. Final Fantasy has always been made on consoles first so they can show off flashy graphics.

If they were building it on a handheld console, it would probably make them focus more on gameplay than flashy graphics, thus resulting in a better game. But I'm not even going to hold my breath.

ShinGundam
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
No thanks, to me FF is meant to be cutting edge in presentation and content and i don't need a handicap to appreciate FF. Another point, We already have tons FF/RPG content on portable and mobile or FF-esque games by other developers on handheld and mobile but how many high end console FF games we will have in the near future? I predict zero.

Honestly, i am not sure what we will gain with making a portable FF other than frequent loading times.

If they were building it on a handheld console, it would probably make them focus more on gameplay than flashy graphics, thus resulting in a better game. But I'm not even going to hold my breath.
The PSP & DS RPGs are less about the characters and plot in favor of just offering up grinding on the go.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 07:17 PM
For me, the main series Final Fantasy have always been on a major console. XI and XIV are exceptions, but understandable. Spin-offs can go on other handhelds and such, because their not the main series.

Bolivar
01-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I just feel like the DQ-esque template, HD console JRPG has yet to be made and I have doubts about whether it will ever be made.

The PSP & DS RPGs are less about the characters and plot in favor of just offering up grinding on the go.

While we've seen the birth of a genre that did this on handheld, I have to disagree.

NeoCracker
01-08-2013, 01:20 AM

While we've seen the birth of a genre that did this on handheld, I have to disagree.

Pretty much this. You just need to check out games like the Devil Survivors or Radiant Historia to see that plots and characters are alive and well in the Hand Held market.

Bolivar
01-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Or Valkyria Chronicles 2, where even the grinding is all about the characters.

Del Murder
01-08-2013, 05:06 AM
It doesn't matter to me as long as it's good. If they make a Radiant Historia-caliber game, then I'd be pretty satisfied.

DMKA
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Didn't they already do this with Dragon Quest?

I'd probably do the same thing I do with Assassin's Creed and Kingdom Hearts; as much as I love the series, I completely ignore the handheld entries.

Well, with the exception of Birth By Sleep since everyone told me that's the best KH game so I just had to play it.

VeloZer0
01-08-2013, 07:05 AM
"FF games are always released on a console" goes right up there with "FF games never have sequels". Whatever SE wants to have happen will happen, it isn't like there are some sort of rules for this. :confused:

chionos
01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
It would suck pretty hard since I don't play handhelds.

Although, I'd be tempted to branch out if they created a game that made up for the last 10 years.