PDA

View Full Version : HBO, Universal Sign Exclusive Content Deal, Screw Over Consumers

Ouch!
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Relevant article. (http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/06/hbo-inks-exclusive-deal-with-universal-to-keep-content-out-of-netflixs-hands/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)
So HBO and Universal signed a deal that keeps all of Universal's content exclusive to them. This means that movies released by Universal will not be available on other content services, notably Netflix or Hulu+. What's a greater concern is that this deal is for ten freaking years, which seems to me like financial suicide in a market changing as rapidly as it is now.

I'm not sure what either HBO or Universal (especially Universal) expect to gain from this. HBO does not offer an unbundled streaming service outside of Europe (which doesn't offer HD streams anyway, and is prohibitively expensive). The only option is to upgrade your entire cable service. The only problem is that the reason that services like Netflix and Hulu+ are so successful is because people are beginning to move away from cable. This comic from The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones), as others at Reddit have pointed out, is particularly relevant.

I do not understand what either company (or any of the other companies signing similar deals with HBO) stands to gain by making their content more difficult to consume. I understand that the old model that they're desperately trying to hold onto is stunningly lucrative, but consumers aren't going to put up with it when their competition is offering improved alternatives. And if I really want to watch HBO-exclusive content, and they're not going to make it easy for me to pay for it at a reasonable price, I'm going to pirate it.

Thoughts?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah, because I know for me personally--I just won't watch a Universal movie, if I can't get a hold of it. That, or I'll torrent it.

escobert
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
This is why I steal.

Bunny
01-07-2013, 08:55 PM
This is exactly why pirating is so prevalent. Companies sit on their thumbs and, presumably, wonder why pirating is so "out of hand" so they make a move like this as if it will solve the problem.

Ouch!
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
This wouldn't be anywhere nearly as egregious if they tried to launch HBO GO as an alternative service to Netflix and unbundled it. I wouldn't be happy about having content split across two platforms, but at least then I could have the option to choose between whichever would could get the most support. This just makes it impossible for me to get any of this material without paying at least $100 month to buy a cable package that I don't want.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Pretty much how I feel about it. If you're not going to let me consume it easily and without having to sift through seven miles of bullshit, I'm going to find an easier route with less shit, which are plentiful.

Speaking of, does anyone know where I can get Game of Thrones online? ;)

Ouch!
01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
You mean aside from torrents?

Freya
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Heck if they still want their stupid subscriptions on cable and still have streaming just offer a limited streaming service to those who pay for it, like netflix's monthly bill. Then if you have it paid for on your cable provider you have unlimited access to whatever seasons etc etc. Kinda like hulu and hulu+

Ouch!
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
That's exactly what I was suggesting. Unfortunately, they've been pretty adamant that HBO GO require a cable subscription in the US. In parts of Europe it is available for purchase as a standalone service, but it is very expensive (more than twice as much as Netflix) and requires three month termination (so even if you don't like it after the first month, you have to pay for another three after you cancel). I believe that someone said that the equivalent cost of canceling after the first month is still $97 US.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 10:45 PM

Yeah. I'm useless at torrents. I don't really understand them, and I'm too lazy to learn. Should probably change that, however, since I hear foreigners in China spend roughly 60 hours a day watching pirated films and TV shows. :D

DMKA
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I can stream movies for free, in better quality than Netflix or Hulu, and there's nothing HBO or Universal can do to affect what movies I stream in said manner.

And not a single smurf was given.

Bunny
01-07-2013, 11:11 PM

Yeah. I'm useless at torrents. I don't really understand them, and I'm too lazy to learn. Should probably change that, however, since I hear foreigners in China spend roughly 60 hours a day watching pirated films and TV shows. :D

Learn them?

Download a program (there are lots), find a website that hosts torrents (there are lots), click on the link you want to get (there are lots) and wait for download to commence. If you want to test it out, buy something from Humble Bundle, they offer torrent downloads for anything you buy, typically.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Too lazy to learn which ones are good*.

I had uTorrent before. That seemed easy enough, though I never got it working because netbooks + anything = aneurism.

escobert
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
utorrent/piratebay. easiest way to go.