PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Audiences

Aulayna
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NBTvw.jpg

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
If I put an image of who the target audience for spunkgargleweewee (as Yahtzee so magificently puts it) is, I'd probably get banned. :D

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I honestly cannot stand the Call of Duty series. The target audience is just so skewed, it's pathetic. Not to mention how formulaic it is..

Bubba
01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Call of Duty needs to die a painful death.

Slothy
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Call of Duty needs to die a painful death.

Cue Bolivar's rebuttal in 3. 2...

Bolivar
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I think I should start keeping track on threads where Vivi has nothing of substance to contribute, but still feels it's necessary to come in to harass and disagree with me.

On topic, it would be interesting to see the actual demographics of kids who play recent Pokemon releases. I had a younger relative over with his DS and let him borrow a simpler RPG, he got bored in about 10 minutes.

Slothy
01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I think I should start keeping track on threads where Vivi has nothing of substance to contribute, but still feels it's necessary to come in to harass and disagree with me.

Not sure if you're joking or not. :confused:

About the harass and disagree part that is.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I think Pokemon is one of those franchises where it's acceptable for an adult to appreciate and enjoy. While Doctor Who is marketed as a "Children's" programme, I know me and Sam and many other EoFFers have a vast love of it.

Pokemon never gets old, is what I'm saying.

Jinx
01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Doctor Who is a children's program?

Er, how do you figure that? xD

Aulayna
01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
It's always been marketed as a kids/teens TV program in the UK hence the ridiconulous amount of toys and merchandising available for it and also why it occupies the prime Saturday night early evening Family TV slot on our public service broadcaster. It is of course, quite deep and complex for a show that was ultimately aimed more at younger people - but that's what gives it it's widespread appeal and charm, it has something for everyone.

(by Children we're talking 8+ here. Not like, 4 year olds)

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Doctor Who is a children's program?

Er, how do you figure that? xD

Well, Children/Teenage really. I mean come on, would you really class Dr.Who as "adult" programming?

Jinx
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I would. It deals with a lot of adult themes and emotions, and a lot of human problems. Hearing that it's considered a teen show is surprising.

Anyways

/done hijacking thread

kotora
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I would. It deals with a lot of adult themes and emotions, and a lot of human problems. Hearing that it's considered a teen show is surprising.

-> cultural dissonance

And I'd say it's still ontopic as we're talking about target audiences. It's pretty interesting to see how audiences/perceptions for the same media products differ in countries.

Bubba
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Doctor Who is cack. End of discussion.

Back on topic.

Del Murder
01-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Posts 4-6 in this thread are pure gold.

I think gaming companies know who their audiences are and who plays their games.

Formalhaut
01-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Oh yeah, the makers of COD know who their "true" target audience is, however imagine the uproar if their advertising implied that they think 12-15 year olds should play Call of Duty. I imagine many parent's unions would be in uproar.

No, they "officially" market it to twenty-somethings, but that's just a mask for their true target.