PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtful and unique gifts.

Jinx
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I know this thread might seem a little late since we just had Christmas, but oh well!

I was just thinking about this because of a gift my grandparents gave me for Christmas. They don't have much money, so this year they bought a flashdrive and copied ALL of their oldies CDs onto it. They know I love, love, love golden oldies (probably my second favourite overall genre after musical theatre) and this way I have all of the classic songs I love! I know it's not a gift that everyone would enjoy, but I thought it was perfect for me, and I was really touched by the amount of thought they put into it, because they knew it was something I would enjoy (plus, now I have a new flashdrive! Reuse, yes.)

What are some thoughtful and unique gifts you've received or given people?

Aulayna
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
The story about Pike getting me a Nintendo DS shortly after it was released despite having only known her for a few months. That still pretty much tops the list for me. :jess:

Miriel
01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
One of my favorite things to do is to gift books as gifts to people. I'll write out a note on why I loved the book, and why I think they'll like it too. It's like, a easy and affordable way to give a gift, but is still pretty thoughtful.

One of my best friends is suuuuper into makeup and is always doing makeup non-professionally for friends. Even for big events like weddings. But in order to get in with MAC's professional discount, you need to have a certain amount of proof as being a professional within the makeup industry. So I bought her a domain name, built her a website, put together business cards and letterheads. All so she could apply for the professional discount. I realize this has an element of fraud associated with it, but I don't care. ;)

My most thoughtful gift given to me was my engagement ring. But that story is already floating around here somewhere.

Formalhaut
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I think the best gifts are those that come from the heart. I should stop plugging the Swapnote community, but some of the letters I've got from Faris, Bobby and the others have just been adorable and so lovely.

Sure, there's no expense gone into it, but it's the time that went to it that made me go all mushy. :love:

Faris
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I try my best to put as much thought as possible into a gift for someone (except for most of the gifts this Christmas, I was lazy this year). One thing I did give was my coworker a box of dark chocolates and a stuffed toy dog for her infant son. First day back from Christmas break she had the biggest smile on her face and gave me the biggest hug. The random dark chocolates I got her are now her absolute favourite and she wanted to know where I got them and her son carries the toy dog everywhere.

krissy
01-07-2013, 11:27 PM
i whittled wooood animals for a friend this xmas
they were pretty cute

Gogolian
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
My sister just had a breakup. But till now she stayed with the guy despite those things:

His christmas gift to Her: Black Jack Daniels (which he appearently got on his birthday from is brother)

And my sister was sick recently as well here is their conversation:
Sis: Can you come over? I'm not feeling very well
Guy: Nah, i think i'm little bit tired.
S: You sure? I baked apple pie.
G: Ok, then maybe i'll come.
-.-'
After he came over:
S: Oh my god You're so sweet you brought me oranges!
G: Actually you left those at my car...

I think i'm glad they broke up...

Jinx
01-07-2013, 11:42 PM
My sister just had a breakup. But till now she stayed with the guy despite those things:

His christmas gift to Her: Black Jack Daniels (which he appearently got on his birthday from is brother)

And my sister was sick recently as well here is their conversation:
Sis: Can you come over? I'm not feeling very well
Guy: Nah, i think i'm little bit tired.
S: You sure? I baked apple pie.
G: Ok, then maybe i'll come.
-.-'
After he came over:
S: Oh my god You're so sweet you brought me oranges!
G: Actually you left those at my car...

I think i'm glad they broke up...

I'm not sure what this has to do with the thread. xD

Scotty_ffgamer
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
I feel like every gift I've gotten (outside of maybe secret santa type stuff at work) has had a lot of thought and meaning behind them. This year my grandparents got me a bunch of clothes for student teaching... it was clear they spent a heck of a lot of money on them to make sure I had the nicest possible clothes. It was nice.

As for gifts I've given, I'm generally not the best at doing good gifts. Sometimes I have a spark of genius though. One year, for my youth group, I wrote every person in the youth group a poem and used my nonexistent photoshop skills to make collages of memories with those friends (either individually or as a youth group). It was all pretty mushy, and there were a lot of tears from the girls, haha.

This year, as a just because gift, I gave one of my roommates Andrew W. K.'s album "I Get Wet" on vinyl. He loves Andrew W. K., and he was having a really rough time at the moment, so it ended up being one of the perfect things for him.

Also this year for Christmas, I gave each of my family members a collection of short stories and some poems I'd written (different collection for each person to cater more to their tastes) since I really didn't have any money to spend. I know it was appreciated because I never share my writing really.

Gogolian
01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure what this has to do with the thread. xD
The Jack Daniel's gift xD

Shiny
01-08-2013, 05:29 AM
I tend to just get things for people I know they like. Like my dad likes RC helicopters and cars. My sister likes The Sims and Abercrombie clothing so most of gifts. My mom has expensive taste so I tend to purchase gift cards for her and let her choose what she wants to spend her money on as it varies from home improvement items to things from MAC cosmetics, and also items for her new iPad. My boyfriend likes drawing and video games, but asked for clothing so I got him that instead of a sketch pad. The most thoughtful gift given to me was a heating pad for my shoulders and back. I tend to be hunched over at the computer a lot for work and personal life. It does a world of wonders.

Araciel
01-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Cheeses.

theundeadhero
01-11-2013, 04:21 AM
My mom once made a copy of every picture she ever took of me and put it into a photo album. It was awesome. My mom took a lot of pictures while I was growing up.

Lonely Paper Star
01-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Sometimes I'd "bead together" strings of origami cranes for my friends. I made one for my mom, too. She and my other friend hang them from their cars' rearview mirrors. I thought they'd be on the delicate side, but it seems that they can stand all the swinging when the car's moving. XD

Shlup
01-11-2013, 04:49 AM
My most thoughtful gift this year was a promise to take me to the secret restaurant in Disneyland. That'll be two things off my bucket list!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
My most thoughtful gift this year was a promise to take me to the secret restaurant in Disneyland. That'll be two things off my bucket list!

What was the other one?

Shoeberto
01-11-2013, 02:51 PM

What was the other one?
- Eat at the secret restaurant
- Sexy time in the secret restaurant

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Club 33?

noxious.sunshine
06-27-2013, 07:21 AM
My very first boyfriend & I were super into Pokemon (we were like 14 or 15) ... And so when Togepi was invented, he actually found me a set with the Togepi, Rare Clefairy, & Rare Snorlax 'cuz those were my fav Pokemons. Aside from that, my dad built me a dollhouse by hand. Granted, he'd bought the kit, but it's a wood/log cabin dollhouse type thing. He spent like a month or more on it, getting it perfect. And the sled he made for me. It was made out of one of those heavy duty plastic signs. He drilled a couple of holes in one end and used his big metal bender machine thing to bend that end.. We used a tarp strap from his trailer for the handle. That sumbich was -fast-.

That I've given? My sister -loves- The Wizard of Oz (I do too), and her classroom used to be decorated with all Wiz of Oz stuff. So I got her this super cool pop up book and I found a doorstop on Amazon that was the wicked witch of the East's feet & ankles with the ruby slippers on for Christmas one year. And when I was preggo, I gave her GF a couple of gift cards and asked her to be my daughter's Godmother that yr.

Pike
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Six months is kinda borderline but I'm going to go ahead and close this. Stupid necro'ing spambot :argh: