PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Most Underrated Character?

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin, get cracking. :p

Laddy
01-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Forsaken Lover.

Spooniest
01-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Instant derailment.

The most underrated character in Final Fantasy 6, BY THE WAY, is something of an undertaking to consider, being that there are 14 of the motherfuckers. Not to mention, the community of FF6 players isn't exactly vocal. It's hard to decide what the ratings are when there really aren't that many people who talk about this game.

It's easy to get obsessed with the latter-era Final Fantasies. They're flashy, big, and the secondary sex characteristics of the player characters are more obvious.

But when I meet a person who posts in a Final Fantasy 6 thread about underrated characters in the game with an answer of characters that are from later Final Fantasies, the first thing I think is this: This person has no imagination, no desire to know what the series is about, no child-like curiosity. In other words, Forsaken Lover, how boring.

Now, back.
On.
Topic.

My first choice is going to be Umaro. Because you don't actually get to select his actions, not to mention the total void of backstory, I feel many people overlook his "fuck everything and attack" philosophy. But it's just a great idea. A character devoted to pure rage. You won't ever get that in a latter-era Final Fantasy. The CD loading times wouldn't permit such immediate, ridiculously animated ACTION. Umaro is a character that believes in FUCK you.

Second choice is definitely Gau. He can be very annoying, simply because most people assume that the more Rages he knows, the more powerful he is. But the idea behind the character is experimentation. You have to try out the various Rages to know what they do, and in fact, many of them are next to useless. Unfocused Life 3, anyone? (This is the Rhinox Rage, just fyi) Life 3 is a spell that is meant to be planned. If you don't know when he's going to cast it, and couple that with the fact that you don't know who he's going to cast it on, and you have a recipe for frustration. But Gau isn't all bad. His Stray Cat is one of the most powerful physical attacks in the whole game, and it's available the first time you visit the Veldt. If you are gifted with some patience and child-like curiosity, willingness to experiment...Gau is pretty uber.

Forsaken Lover. (snort giggle)

Forsaken Lover
01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm actually a pretty pivotal character in Versus XIII.

Play the game and prove me wrong.

Spooniest
01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
No, I will never do that.

SkyRender
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
My opinion on the most underrated character has changed since I first got my hands on this game way back in the day. My brother and I are crazed FF fans and probably played through this one countless times.

From my memory, I always recall Cyan and Gau being left behind when it was time to hit the floating continent. I liked Cyan's character, background and theme song, but I couldn't get over the fact that is SwdTech/Bushido was near useless. I so wish they could have redesigned how it worked in the GBA version. With Gau, he had this wicked twist on a blue mage going for him, but I never knew about the Stray Cat one so he was mostly useless for me. I did relate to him as a character though. I was a young nut job with ADHD back in the day!

As I got older and replayed this game through high school and college my views shifted on a lot of the characters. Cyan has become one of my favorite guys. Waiting for his bushido to charge with emulation takes less than a second, so it doesn't bother me anymore! I still end up leaving Gau behind at times though, I feel too cheap using his Stray Cat attack!

My current most underrated character is probably Relm. I know her sketching can cause some funky glitches and I know she has super strong magic power, but honestly, I don't seem to care. It's too hard for me to look past her whiny demeanor and the fact you get her so late in the WOB. She just doesn't compare to Celes/Terra and I always end up leaving her behind in favor of those two.

DownDiagonalLeftA
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
My man Setzer had the balls to fly up to an Opera house and bag a wealthy opera star. Can you imagine this being done in real life?

chionos
01-09-2013, 04:00 AM
Cyan: His backstory is strongish, and though his special attack is annoying (I'm not patient enough) it's fun to watch, and I like his style.

Strago: Blue magic. I don't know why more people don't like blue magic.

maybee
01-09-2013, 04:26 AM
Leo. He's kind, supportive, cares about his troops and treats them like humans and not war machines, helps Terra and dies fighting Kefka.

He's a true hero.

Jowy
01-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Relm's great at sitting in the back and chain-casting spells.

qwertysaur
01-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Strago. Blue magic is very potent. :p

blackmage_nuke
01-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Mog. Last of the Moogles in-game, last of the Geomancers in-series, first Moogle to sport the iconic pom-pom

chionos
01-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Mog. Last of the Moogles in-game

Last playable Moogle?

last of the Geomancers in-series

I'm going to assume, then, you don't count FFT as canon?

But in any case! (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/adoulin/index.html)

Oh, btw: Is the female rune fencer's vagina showing, or is it just me? (Kazushi Hagiwara's mentor was Dirty Matsumoto, and with a name like that you can just guess what his, uh, artistic style was)

Spooniest
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm not seeing any cameltoe there. Must be skin-colored panties.

Gu-fu-fu
01-13-2013, 10:32 PM
So, barbie doll crotch aside, I joined this forum to say that I love Mog the most. I mean, he smurfin attacks by dancing! I don't even mind when he stumbles because I still think it's funny as hell after all these years.

Araciel
01-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Underrated?!

How about Locke.

Sure he's got steal but... eh

qwertysaur
01-14-2013, 03:47 AM
Last playable Moogle?

Nope. Last moogle. All the others are gone. :(

Gu-fu-fu
01-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Last playable Moogle?

Nope. Last moogle. All the others are gone. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *gasp* OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I will go cry now. Maybe this is why I have not replayed the later games in so long. I had forced this horrid knowledge out of my mind.

:cry:

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2013, 04:40 AM
Underrated?!

How about Locke.

Sure he's got steal but... eh

He's actually more of an overrated character to be honest.

I'd definetly say Strago, Mog, Umaro, and Gogo are largely underrated.

chionos
01-14-2013, 04:48 AM
qwerty is a jerkosaur.

qwertysaur
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
qwerty is a jerkosaur.
Sorry.

Gu-fu-fu
01-16-2013, 07:22 AM
It's okay, I just love moogles SO much!!!!!!! Oh Mog, I weep for your plight. Wait, maybe we can mate him with something and have a hybrid! Moogle/Dragon anyone? Or Magon? Or Doogle? We'll figure something out.

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2013, 07:46 AM
How about a Meti or Yoogle?

Jowy
01-16-2013, 05:35 PM
All the other moogles had to resort to cannibalism to survive down there. Mag Roaders were too much for the lesser moogles to hunt for meals deep down in the mines. That's why Mog's the only one left. He ate all the others.

Think about that next time you bring him anywhere.

chionos
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
How about a Meti or Yoogle?

I think you're onto something WK.

qwertysaur
01-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Clone Mog.

:mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu::mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu::bou::mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu::mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu::mogumogu:
:mogumogu:

cheesesteak
01-18-2013, 08:49 AM
underrated in terms of popularity? As far as I can tell, Locke, Sabin, Edgar, Terra, Shadow, Cyan are the characters I've seen played most as a kid and in screenshots. So given that, I'd have to say Strago or Gau or Celes. If I had to pick one, Gau.

Gu-fu-fu
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Meti or Yoogle! I vote yay! Though qwertysaur's gif makes me so happy, I may have to clone Mog as well. Look how happy Umaro is! I am just going to pretend I heard nothing about moogle canibalism, and think of how to make a super moogle. Let the genetic and social experiments begin! I think I will make the cloned moogles learn to breakdance and have tea parties.

NeoCracker
01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
I was always sad that Blue Magic is largely worthless in light of normal magic in that game pretty much overshadowing it. :(

Really I think Blue Mages are a bit shafted in all the games, IX being the exception. :(

It's really sad cause I quite like Strago.

Loony BoB
01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
The gameplay of the character? Umaro. The character of the character? General Leo.

Elskidor
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
The gameplay of the character? Umaro. The character of the character? General Leo.

Ditto